The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-04-20, 12:44 AM   #41
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid
 
another tf fan's Avatar
 
USA
Default

So Sick... consider it bought.
 
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 05:49 AM   #42
Heinrad
Ironmod
 
Heinrad's Avatar
 
Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!
Default

Robot mode looks pretty good. Vehicle mode...... not so much.
 
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 12:56 PM   #43
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!
 
Clogs's Avatar
 
Leicester, in the Heart of England
Default

That is well sweet. I'm not particularly fond of Roddy, but he does make a nice display.

Oh, my wallet!
 
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 01:31 PM   #44
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler
 
glazios's Avatar
 
Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales
Default

I hate to sound like a miserable sod, but it strikes me that a fairly-large chunk of the trailer doesn't actually, well, do anything.

Unlike the City Commander trailer, much of which is actually fitted onto the figure, it looks to me that only the roof of the Protector trailer becomes armour and the rest turns into some kind of weapons platform.

Think I'll have to wait until we see some colour, for me to make up my mind on this... so far, it's rather underwhelming compared to their latest releases, and even the City Commander trailer that came before it.
 
glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 02:39 PM   #45
Rookwise
Gestalt
 
Rookwise's Avatar
 
Staffordshire - UK
Default

IMO anything they can do to make the Rodimus figure better has got to be worth buying. It can only be an improvement over the somewhat pants and overpriced classics mould.
I would say the legends version would be the better one.
 
Rookwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 03:26 PM   #46
Paul053
The man who painted heaven
 
Paul053's Avatar
 
North star where bananna froze
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
I hate to sound like a miserable sod, but it strikes me that a fairly-large chunk of the trailer doesn't actually, well, do anything.

Unlike the City Commander trailer, much of which is actually fitted onto the figure, it looks to me that only the roof of the Protector trailer becomes armour and the rest turns into some kind of weapons platform.

Think I'll have to wait until we see some colour, for me to make up my mind on this... so far, it's rather underwhelming compared to their latest releases, and even the City Commander trailer that came before it.
Same here. I don't want to pay extra money for a useless trailer converting to a weapon platform. I just want an awesome Rod.

For the color prediction, how much will he change away from red, yellow, and orange? I don't think so. Maybe add in more black.
 
Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 05:26 PM   #47
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler
 
glazios's Avatar
 
Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
Same here. I don't want to pay extra money for a useless trailer converting to a weapon platform. I just want an awesome Rod.

For the color prediction, how much will he change away from red, yellow, and orange? I don't think so. Maybe add in more black.
Hmm, maybe...

But here's a thought that's worrying me a little -- this trailer has been largely, if quietly anticipated since FansProject released the first mockup pictures some monthes ago, but what if, now that they've released the prototype photos, people start loosing interest due to the trailer largely being a battle station, like the original Gen1 Rodimus?

Granted, they can depend on sales from completists, and the fact that that it is an homage might be a draw for Gen1 collectors. Also, the fact that only so many will be produced will shield them from incurring too big a financial loss, but what will FansProject do if the rest of their fanbase decide not to pick it up? They could stand to lose a lot of money.
 

Last edited by glazios; 2010-04-20 at 05:45 PM.
glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 06:02 PM   #48
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

I'm liking this. The head doesn't look exactly like Rodimus, and there is a lot of unused trailer, but I still dig it. I'm curious how much it will end up being (guessing it will be ballpark what City Commander was). Hopefully I will be able to save enough money for it, and my wife will actually let me get it.
Here's to hoping...
 
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 08:31 PM   #49
Springer85
Unicron
 
Springer85's Avatar
 
All your base
Default

Google gave me this:



It was on seibertron.com
 
Springer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 10:08 PM   #50
Wildrider
Death blossom deployed!
 
Wildrider's Avatar
 
Sneaking out the back door since 1978
Default

Looks a tad like a Predacon, I doubt very much the price will justify it for many people, but you have to admire the gumption!
 
Wildrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 02:03 PM   #51
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker
 
Jaynz's Avatar
 
Default

Hmm.. I've been considering getting some fan pieces once I finish moving into my house (!!!)... this may have to be on the list. No, it's not perfect, but it really does homage G1 fairly well, and is fairly clever all around.
 
Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 05:56 PM   #52
Summerhayes
always late to the party
 
Summerhayes's Avatar
 
Somerset, England.
Default

Oh, that is FABULOUS

I've always had a soft spot for Rodimus Prime, despite not actually particularly liking the character. I think this will be a purchase!
 
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 08:36 PM   #53
Notabot
Lutheran
 
Notabot's Avatar
 
Lowden, IA
Default

My question on these items is this: What happens with the resale value? Not just in the couple months after release because everyone wants it, but after a few years. Are these things re-sellable at a profit, or do they typically fade into obscurity?
Personally, I can't justify paying that kind of money to spruce up a toy. For that kind of money, I could probably make something similar myself (or, if I wanted it to look nice, hire Clay to do it for me).
 
Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 09:20 PM   #54
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
My question on these items is this: What happens with the resale value? Not just in the couple months after release because everyone wants it, but after a few years. Are these things re-sellable at a profit, or do they typically fade into obscurity?
Personally, I can't justify paying that kind of money to spruce up a toy. For that kind of money, I could probably make something similar myself (or, if I wanted it to look nice, hire Clay to do it for me).
Their first set (a new head and bumper for Cliffjumper with some guns) sold for $30 or so, and is now several hundred. The Ultra Magnus kit started at $80 or so and ballooned from there. I don't know the typical price, but the demand was such that they re-released it with the missile launchers and the gun included.

I haven't paid much attention to the trailer for Classics Prime, so I don't know its story. I have the Superion parts kit (which is very nice!), but I haven't followed it to see if it's a sell out or not.

With the Rodimus kit, I'd imagine it will do very well as it does 'complete' the toy, if not to the extent that the Ultra Magnus kit did. I think it will be more sought after than the Prime trailer, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
Same here. I don't want to pay extra money for a useless trailer converting to a weapon platform. I just want an awesome Rod.
It's not useless - it's an homage!
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 10:47 PM   #55
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Red face

Homages excuse everything - repaints of Cybertron figures, lack of articulation in modern figures, Animated, the lot. Indeed, if you can also namedrop whoever was responsible for said homage, you win the internet.

I guess the problem with resale value is it's a lottery - if there's huge demand, I suspect Fansproject or similar would have no problem just doing a second run (even, like Magnus, making the new one better). IIRC the Cliffjumper one was announced as limited edition and they've kept to that, but I think most of their projects since haven't been. I suspect that's always going to be in the back of a lot of prospective buyers' minds, and if you can be sure of one thing it's that however cool something is, Transformers fans won't stump up for it if there's half a chance it might be avaliable slightly cheaper at some undetermined point in the future. Because most of them are more concerned with not spending more than fellow Transformers fans on something than actually having something cool.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 01:12 AM   #56
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Red face

Oh yeah, if it's set for $70, I don't want to pay a penny over $68.12.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 01:40 AM   #57
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler
 
glazios's Avatar
 
Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Homages excuse everything - repaints of Cybertron figures, lack of articulation in modern figures, Animated, the lot. Indeed, if you can also namedrop whoever was responsible for said homage, you win the internet.
I guess that's what's mostly bothering me about this, that it is an homage, and doesn't offer much other than upgrading Hotrod's look to that of Rodimus Prime. I'll admit that it does that particularly well, but it's lacking the factor that drew me into going to such lengths to acquire the City Commander trailer that I did. Namely, that the set not only brought a much-needed upgrade to the toy, but in a sense also updated the look of the character of Ultra Magnus.

For me at least, the Protector trailer is lacking in that it only updates the toy, and does little for Rodimus's character. Although, personally, I don't remember there being all that much of a character to update; the way I remember him, Rodimus was little more than a self-piteous git who spent his time jumping to conclusions and whining about how he could never truly fill Optimus's shoes, instead of actually making a concerted effort to do something about it. Needless to say, I can't say I liked him very much.

Feel free to correct me, within reason, if I'm misinformed as to Roddy's aparent uselessness; I'll admit that I didn't get to read any of the Marvel comics material, much less those stories which featured Rodimus as a major player, and most of my views on his character are based on my impressions of the Season 3 run of the original G1 series. My views and statements above are likely to rattle a few cages, yes, but that's the impression that I get.
 
glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 07:34 AM   #58
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

I get what you're saying with the toys - Ultra Magnus' original Classics toy didn't look like Ultra Magnus. They can do the white Prime thing as much as they like, but I don't think anyone truly thinks that it's what Ultra Magnus looks like, and in this respect the City Commander set works so well because it makes the toy look like Ultra Magnus as opposed to a half-arsed Optimus Prime recolour.

Whereas Rodimus is less visually distinct - his robot mode is largely Hot Rod but a bit bigger (especially in any media where the kibble's compacted down), and his vehicle mode is Hot Rod with a box on the back.

I think the difference for me is that if you have an upgraded Magnus next to, say, Classics Prime on the shelf they're going to look like two quite different figures. If you have Rodimus and Hot Rod next to each other Rodimus is going to look like Hot Rod wearing platforms and a bit of armour (Victory Rodimus?). I'm not blaming Fansproject for that, it would just knock the appeal of this set for me.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 02:50 PM   #59
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I get what you're saying with the toys - Ultra Magnus' original Classics toy didn't look like Ultra Magnus. They can do the white Prime thing as much as they like, but I don't think anyone truly thinks that it's what Ultra Magnus looks like, and in this respect the City Commander set works so well because it makes the toy look like Ultra Magnus as opposed to a half-arsed Optimus Prime recolour.

Whereas Rodimus is less visually distinct - his robot mode is largely Hot Rod but a bit bigger (especially in any media where the kibble's compacted down), and his vehicle mode is Hot Rod with a box on the back.

I think the difference for me is that if you have an upgraded Magnus next to, say, Classics Prime on the shelf they're going to look like two quite different figures. If you have Rodimus and Hot Rod next to each other Rodimus is going to look like Hot Rod wearing platforms and a bit of armour (Victory Rodimus?). I'm not blaming Fansproject for that, it would just knock the appeal of this set for me.
True, but the other variable to consider is that there are many more Rodimus toys than Ultra Magnus toys. Even if the appeal of the add-on kit is somewhat more limited, the buying pool is much larger. If they produce 2000 kits on the first run like the Magnus armor, they may do just fine even if fewer people are vocal about wanting one.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 03:13 PM   #60
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Oh, I get that it'll do alright, it's more that it's less dramatic a change to the figure, and doesn't appeal to me.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.