The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-11, 01:46 AM   #21
Catalyst Dragon
Shimatta!
 
Catalyst Dragon's Avatar
 
Oklahoma
Default

Well I sent them a list of ideas I had.
Which included-
Constructicon Maximus Appendage kit(which seems most everyone agrees with)

A Upgrade kit for Classics Deluxe Grimlock. Let's face it Classics Grimlock got shafted. He easily should have been a Voyager at the very least, and he just lacked the menace and aww that he should have had.
GRIMLOCK SHOULD NOT BE SMALLER THAN OPTIMUS PRIME!!!

And The Sweeps... I want Sweeps.
 

All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Catalyst Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 01:56 PM   #22
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios View Post
Yeah, but think about it; if they'd made him look too much like the original Springer, Hasbro would've had an excuse to take 'em to court again for copyright/trademark infringements or something similarly-stupid.
Yes, how dare Hasbro try to stop random criminals from illegally selling toys of Hasbro-owned characters for profit?

If Hasbro gave a shit it would take them a lazy afternoon's work to shut down Fanprojects for good. Maybe instead of bitching, people should be happy that they're willing to look the other way and let them continue making toys for the niche fan market at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
We'll probably see a lot of that for Decepticons in Universe for a little while - with the exception of Blitzwing, they've now done pretty much every Decepticon proper people give a shit about, so if they're going to bring out someone that 99% of the market doesn't recognise, they may as well make sure the other 1% whip themselves up into a blizzard of nerdish excitement over the figure.
No one cares about Soundwave, Shockwave, Scorponok, Scourge, Thundercracker, Dirge, any of the cassettes bar Ravage, the Insecticons or the Constructicons? There's more popular Autobots than popular Decepticons, sure, but it'll take a good while before they work through all of these guys.
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 02:45 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Soundwave and Laserbeak have been done in Universe, as have the Insecticons. TBH for those I think the only way we'd get anything remotely G1-looking is straight reissues. Same for the other tapes - the most likely way of getting, say, Rumble will be Alternators-style, most likely a recolour of Some Car in his scheme. FWIW, though, I personally count Movie Booster X10 as an unofficial Universe Laserbeak (there's a lot of it in the Movie lines, actually - Bludgeon, Whirl, the WalMart Deluxes, the Jazz recolour [the only one, IMO, that comes close to working], Blowpipe, Hoist and Mixmaster can all sub into Universe with minimal problems).

Thundercracker and Dirge are both The Other One from their respective groups, and again have been done by the line (very limited release for sure, but still done - though if Thrust goes well I reckon either or both will be done in Universe or whatever the new name is at some point), plus they wouldn't take new moulds (plus wasn't Dirge done in that set with Roadbuster?). The Constructicons have been done as well - recolour, sure, still done. Shockwave? Given. Scorponok? I doubt he's got much following outside the fandom TBH - those who do remember him will know him as the rubbish Decepticon base.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 04:08 PM   #24
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler
 
glazios's Avatar
 
Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Yes, how dare Hasbro try to stop random criminals from illegally selling toys of Hasbro-owned characters for profit?
Dude, scathing much?! Take a chill already, do some breathing work... What'd you do, fall out the bed this morning? Christ...

Quote:
If Hasbro gave a shit it would take them a lazy afternoon's work to shut down Fanprojects for good.
What makes you think Hasbro do give a shit, exactly? It surprises me a little more with each new add-on that FansProject produce that Hasbro do allow them to keep at it. It also surprises me that they haven't tried to subsidise them yet, because FansProject just keep shaming them - a third-party add-on company whose custom TFs are superior to the trademark holder's efforts? That can't look too good, now can it?

Hasbro's design team must have been sitting in a corner somewhere in a fit of hysterics when they saw the fully-painted Bruticus kit. So how come Hasbro hasn't absorbed FansProject yet? It strikes me as a bloody good idea, business-wise: Hasbro produces the official figures while FansProject are sponsered to produce customisations and upgrade kits, the proceeds of which Hasbro gets a cut from. WIN-WIN.

They're getting into the market now, with the likes of 'Defender', 'Munitioner' and 'Explorer', and sure, they might stay in Hasbro's shadow by just producing add-ons and upgrade kits, but being in the company's shadow doesn't mean they aren't going to outshine them with figures like 'Defender'.

And since when does it make one a criminal, to have a good idea for making a toy better? Not sure whether that's slander or libel, but I resent that remark either way, thank you very much. You might be right, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
 
glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 04:33 PM   #25
Notabot
Lutheran
 
Notabot's Avatar
 
Lowden, IA
Default

Except that Hasbro is expected to put out tons of new toys. Fansproject has put out how many toys in how many years? Fansproject is not also working on GI Joe, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, and umpteen other toylines. Fansproject is not producing thousands of thousands of each toy. Fansproject cannot sell their toys for anything even close to a reasonable price.

So I don't think the Hasbro engineers are fretting that they're being outdone by Fansproject, and I don't foresee Hasbro anointing the guys at Fansproject the new kings of the Transformer division. If they did get that job, it would be a matter of weeks before everyone was griping about how awful the stuff they put out is.

And yes, violating copyright and trademark law does indeed make one a criminal.
 
Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 05:01 PM   #26
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
And yes, violating copyright and trademark law does indeed make one a criminal.
I thought it was a civil matter?
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 05:41 PM   #27
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Soundwave and Laserbeak have been done in Universe, as have the Insecticons. TBH for those I think the only way we'd get anything remotely G1-looking is straight reissues.
Reissues don't really seem to have much of a connection to whether or not they're going to do new molds, though. Which makes sense because the toys that are most likely to sell as reissues are also the ones most likely to shift new toys, as long as they're not on the shelves at the same time. In fact, I'd go so far as to say a successful reissue will make it easier to justify making a new toy for that character a year or two down the road (which alas means things don't look too good for poor, shelfwarming Perceptor ).

I don't see any reason why they couldn't do new versions of the Insecticons. The original designs are simple enough that they could probably be updated into something that still looks G1 and resembles an actual insect. Soundwave I'll give you. He's far and away the most popular character they haven't done a Classics-style toy for, and I don't think they have the slightest idea what to do with him. And WFC Soundwave means that we're not going to get a G1 Soundwave in Generations, at least.

Quote:
Same for the other tapes - the most likely way of getting, say, Rumble will be Alternators-style, most likely a recolour of Some Car in his scheme.
I would have agreed with that right up until they did a new Ravage, since their alt-modes are obsolete. Now I'm not so sure.

Quote:
FWIW, though, I personally count Movie Booster X10 as an unofficial Universe Laserbeak (there's a lot of it in the Movie lines, actually - Bludgeon, Whirl, the WalMart Deluxes, the Jazz recolour [the only one, IMO, that comes close to working], Blowpipe, Hoist and Mixmaster can all sub into Universe with minimal problems).
Although I have some of those figures myself and like them, I think most of the Movie-style figures stick out like a sore thumb alongside Classics toys. Bludgeon and Breakdown and all the other "G1 characters done Movie-style" toys I've seen are all too...well, too obviously Movie toys to really fit in nicely. For redecos like Crankcase and Getaway and Big Daddy I completely agree with you, though.

Quote:
Thundercracker and Dirge are both The Other One from their respective groups, and again have been done by the line (very limited release for sure, but still done - though if Thrust goes well I reckon either or both will be done in Universe or whatever the new name is at some point), plus they wouldn't take new moulds (plus wasn't Dirge done in that set with Roadbuster?).
They did a 'Cybertronian' Dirge, yes. Now that they've done Thrust though, I'd be really surprised if we didn't see the other two as well unless they manage to completely ruin the mold (not impossible, considering the shape it was in for Acid Storm/Starscream 2.0).

Quote:
The Constructicons have been done as well - recolour, sure, still done.
I'm not entirely sure the Energon recolours really 'count', though. After all, the inevitable Bruticus and Superion didn't stop them from making new toys of Onslaught and Silverbolt. I think at least one representative of the team will get a new mold, and I suspect the same holds true for the Insecticons and most other early subgroups as well (except for maybe the Stunticons, who seem to be relegated to Autobot redecos forevermore).

Quote:
Scorponok? I doubt he's got much following outside the fandom TBH - those who do remember him will know him as the rubbish Decepticon base.
I actually think he might be more popular (or at least recognizable) than you'd think. Don't forget that Scorponoks have featured fairly prominently in two of the last three 'main' continuities -- as an important leader in the Unicron Trilogy, and a very memorable bit in the first live-action movie (and Beast Wars too, albeit that was a long time ago). It might not be a 'G1' Scorponok, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't use the basic design at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazios
Dude, scathing much?! Take a chill already, do some breathing work... What'd you do, fall out the bed this morning? Christ...
No, I'm sick of you posting about how Hasbro sucks and they're going to shut down Fansproject for being better than them.

If Hasbro wanted to stop what Fansproject were doing, there simply wouldn't be a Fansproject anymore. Every single thing they've produced has violated Hasbro's IP in one way or another, and it would be child's play for Hasbro to shut down the company and ruin the owners financially. Even if they didn't win the lawsuit they could easily cripple them just by tying them up in litigation until the end of time. And even if they didn't want to do that, they would be well within their rights to force FP to pay them licence fees to keep doing what they're doing.

Do they do any of that? No. What do they do? They ignore the whole thing completely and let FP keep making toys that their fanbase likes, even though, frankly, it exposes them to other risks (because if someone can prove that they're deliberately not defending their IP rights with regards to Fansproject it would make it harder to put a stop to outright knockoffs...). And then they get fans like you talking about them like they're moustache-twirling supervillains anyway, even though they're the good guys here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I thought it was a civil matter?
Depending on the jurisdiction and the exact nature of the offence it could be both. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I think a lot of countries have been introducing laws that criminalize IP theft recently.
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 05:57 PM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Default

If Hasbro could lavish the amount of time Fansproject do on each figure, I'm sure the results would be a lot less favourable to FP. As noted above, Fansproject releases cost, what, 5 times their Hasbro equivalent? That's a hell of a lot more budget. FP are in the position where they can go away and come up with a toy in their own time, often working from other people's actual basic designs (e.g. Springer benefits from numerous character models being in existence, as well as a physical toy to use for a bit of inspiration; they didn't design Springer from the bottom up). They sell the toys themselves, meaning they don't have pressure from retailers. They can focus their resources on a single figure rather than coming up with a wave of Deluxes.

I'd seriously argue with 'better' as well. Sure, their Blast Off and Swindle are better than the Diaclone rejects brought out ~25 years ago. But I don't see Fansproject putting out ROTF Leader Prime, Classics Jetfire, Longview or Alternators Smokescreen. I've also yet to see them come up with an original idea. Only fans who actually see the FP figures are comparing them anyway, it's not like little Joe Bloggs is going to throw down Bruticus Maximus in disgust and demand mummy buys him the Fansproject version instead.

If Hasbro did affiliate themselves with Fansproject, Fansproject would then have to run their toys through safety tests and the like. FP would also be given deadlines, quotas and the like. It wouldn't boost FP's profile much either, as no major retailer is going to stock add-ons for figures long deleted, and they'd have no reason to order, say, Warbot over a Hasbro Transformer of the same bracket. There would be nothing in joining forces for either of them. I'm guessing FP is a hobby for those involved. They work on this sort of thing in their spare time, they have proper jobs they're probably happy enough with and which may pay better than working for Hasbro anyway. I doubt they're making much profit, if any, from the figures that isn't being sunk into funding the next project.

Hasbro are probably perfectly aware of FP - if nothing else, the design team is made up of rabid fanboys. However, they're actually pretty good about this sort of thing, and overall have a decent relationship with the fanbase (which suggests they have a lot of tolerance). If FP keep trademarks off the boxes and don't step on their toes with figures that actively compete with official product, they'll let it slide.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 06:05 PM   #29
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler
 
glazios's Avatar
 
Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
If Hasbro could lavish the amount of time Fansproject do on each figure, I'm sure the results would be a lot less favourable to FP. As noted above, Fansproject releases cost, what, 5 times their Hasbro equivalent? That's a hell of a lot more budget. FP are in the position where they can go away and come up with a toy in their own time, often working from other people's actual basic designs (e.g. Springer benefits from numerous character models being in existence, as well as a physical toy to use for a bit of inspiration; they didn't design Springer from the bottom up). They sell the toys themselves, meaning they don't have pressure from retailers. They can focus their resources on a single figure rather than coming up with a wave of Deluxes.

I'd seriously argue with 'better' as well. Sure, their Blast Off and Swindle are better than the Diaclone rejects brought out ~25 years ago. But I don't see Fansproject putting out ROTF Leader Prime, Classics Jetfire, Longview or Alternators Smokescreen. I've also yet to see them come up with an original idea. Only fans who actually see the FP figures are comparing them anyway, it's not like little Joe Bloggs is going to throw down Bruticus Maximus in disgust and demand mummy buys him the Fansproject version instead.

If Hasbro did affiliate themselves with Fansproject, Fansproject would then have to run their toys through safety tests and the like. FP would also be given deadlines, quotas and the like. It wouldn't boost FP's profile much either, as no major retailer is going to stock add-ons for figures long deleted, and they'd have no reason to order, say, Warbot over a Hasbro Transformer of the same bracket. There would be nothing in joining forces for either of them. I'm guessing FP is a hobby for those involved. They work on this sort of thing in their spare time, they have proper jobs they're probably happy enough with and which may pay better than working for Hasbro anyway. I doubt they're making much profit, if any, from the figures that isn't being sunk into funding the next project.

Hasbro are probably perfectly aware of FP - if nothing else, the design team is made up of rabid fanboys. However, they're actually pretty good about this sort of thing, and overall have a decent relationship with the fanbase (which suggests they have a lot of tolerance). If FP keep trademarks off the boxes and don't step on their toes with figures that actively compete with official product, they'll let it slide.
All of which is very true... and also a helluva lot nicer way of putting things in perspective, instead of puffing out one's chest and biting people's heads off...
 
glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 06:14 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I don't see any reason why they couldn't do new versions of the Insecticons. The original designs are simple enough that they could probably be updated into something that still looks G1 and resembles an actual insect.
I dunno, I'd reckon they'd go more organic-y with them - Grimlock felt more organic than the original robot dinosaur thing. A more telling thing would be whether only owning one of the trademarks would make Hasbro think twice in a non-boxed set situation.

Quote:
Soundwave I'll give you. He's far and away the most popular character they haven't done a Classics-style toy for, and I don't think they have the slightest idea what to do with him. And WFC Soundwave means that we're not going to get a G1 Soundwave in Generations, at least.
TBH, I wouldn't know where to start with Soundwave either - you could do him as another vehicle or whatever in his colours with some inventive way of giving him buddies (and if they were going to do Universe Soundwave, he'd need buddies, it's what most people remember about him), but then you're left with a G1 version of the Animated Soundwave or Movie Blackout back-worked, and you lose the 'media' aspect. The problem with Soundwave is that he's very well known for being a tape deck and having his little minions (as well as the voice), and you'd probably have to hit two of those bases so as not to end up with something stupid like that Blaster they did.

Quote:
I would have agreed with that right up until they did a new Ravage, since their alt-modes are obsolete. Now I'm not so sure.
I dunno, I think Ravage was a one-off indulgence brought about by Hound being pretty tiny for a deluxe. They'd certainly have to piggyback another figure (I can't see them bringing out a standalone Legends or Scout figure that basically turns into a block) and, some reinvention of Soundwave aside, it's difficult to think of too many characters they could 'interact' with - it was pretty tenuous with Hound and I'd expect any kids who got him with little idea of G1 were a bit perplexed by the Decepticon who turns into a block that sits on an Autobot's back end.

Quote:
Although I have some of those figures myself and like them, I think most of the Movie-style figures stick out like a sore thumb alongside Classics toys. Bludgeon and Breakdown and all the other "G1 characters done Movie-style" toys I've seen are all too...well, too obviously Movie toys to really fit in nicely. For redecos like Crankcase and Getaway and Big Daddy I completely agree with you, though.
I dunno, I think they've got away with it a lot by using some of the Movie moulds that don't really look like Movie figures, such as Long Arm and Jazz. Plus Generations looks to fill in a 'missing link' between the two schools of thought in places.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure the Energon recolours really 'count', though. After all, the inevitable Bruticus and Superion didn't stop them from making new toys of Onslaught and Silverbolt. I think at least one representative of the team will get a new mold, and I suspect the same holds true for the Insecticons and most other early subgroups as well (except for maybe the Stunticons, who seem to be relegated to Autobot redecos forevermore).
I dunno - I think the Constructicons will be nobbled by generally (from what I see on the shelves here) being pretty poor selling in most forms during ROTF, which generated a lot of construction-based shelf-warmers. I think both Silverbolt and Onslaught benefitted from being 'standout' members of their respective teams (Silverbolt's service in BW/BM probably didn't hurt either). I'd expect to see a Hotspot or Motormaster first.

Quote:
I actually think he might be more popular (or at least recognizable) than you'd think. Don't forget that Scorponoks have featured fairly prominently in two of the last three 'main' continuities -- as an important leader in the Unicron Trilogy, and a very memorable bit in the first live-action movie (and Beast Wars too, albeit that was a long time ago). It might not be a 'G1' Scorponok, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't use the basic design at some point.
I dunno, Classics Hotshot aside, Hasbro seem to be ignoring the Unicron Trilogy as much as they can, and the movie one possibly counts against him more than anything - a lot of people will associate the name with a Ravage-style sidekick.

EDIT: Actually, if FP were taken in-house by Hasbro, that'd be the end of them. Their engineering bods would be switched to whatever main project and that'd be that. They wouldn't be able to go "Hey, those Energon combiners you guys did were a bit cheap with their duplicate limbs, let us do two more". They'd be told to come up with Scouts for Transformers Prime or a Legends version of Universe Sideswipe or whatever.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 07:49 PM   #31
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I dunno, I'd reckon they'd go more organic-y with them - Grimlock felt more organic than the original robot dinosaur thing. A more telling thing would be whether only owning one of the trademarks would make Hasbro think twice in a non-boxed set situation.
You're probably right about that. The originals are so boxy that just making more-articulated deluxe-scale versions of them probably wouldn't go very well. I think the basic layout still works though, at least for Bombshell and Shrapnel. Not so much for Kickback, ironically, and he's the most likely to get a new toy just on the grounds that they still own his name (assuming they treat the Insecticons like they do most sub-groups and just make one). I think they'd turn out pretty good in that style, though, and they would still recognizably be the Insecticons.

Quote:
TBH, I wouldn't know where to start with Soundwave either - you could do him as another vehicle or whatever in his colours with some inventive way of giving him buddies (and if they were going to do Universe Soundwave, he'd need buddies, it's what most people remember about him), but then you're left with a G1 version of the Animated Soundwave or Movie Blackout back-worked, and you lose the 'media' aspect. The problem with Soundwave is that he's very well known for being a tape deck and having his little minions (as well as the voice), and you'd probably have to hit two of those bases so as not to end up with something stupid like that Blaster they did.
Yeah, unless you stick slavishly to G1 it's hard to figure anything for him. A Cybertronian-mode Soundwave complete with Cybertronian 'tapes' could be the solution, but WFC Soundwave went in a different direction and I don't think we'll see another one. Another idea that jumps to mind a hand-held video game system (like a genericized PSP) with the tapes becoming game cartridges.

Quote:
I dunno, I think Ravage was a one-off indulgence brought about by Hound being pretty tiny for a deluxe. They'd certainly have to piggyback another figure (I can't see them bringing out a standalone Legends or Scout figure that basically turns into a block) and, some reinvention of Soundwave aside, it's difficult to think of too many characters they could 'interact' with - it was pretty tenuous with Hound and I'd expect any kids who got him with little idea of G1 were a bit perplexed by the Decepticon who turns into a block that sits on an Autobot's back end.
Totally agreed on that point. Hound was an odd character to pair him with, and taken out of context Ravage is more than a little bit weird as a Transformer.

Quote:
I dunno, I think they've got away with it a lot by using some of the Movie moulds that don't really look like Movie figures, such as Long Arm and Jazz. Plus Generations looks to fill in a 'missing link' between the two schools of thought in places.
I disagree, but I can sort of see what you're saying. It just doesn't work for me.

Quote:
I dunno - I think the Constructicons will be nobbled by generally (from what I see on the shelves here) being pretty poor selling in most forms during ROTF, which generated a lot of construction-based shelf-warmers. I think both Silverbolt and Onslaught benefitted from being 'standout' members of their respective teams (Silverbolt's service in BW/BM probably didn't hurt either). I'd expect to see a Hotspot or Motormaster first.
I'm half-expecting to see Hot Spot as a redeco/remold of Universe Inferno one of these days. Motormaster's a tricky one though because his place has pretty much been usurped by Nemesis Prime in recent years, especially since (IIRC) they can't use the 'Motormaster' name anymore.

I never would have thought of Onslaught as the standout member of the Combaticons, though. Size aside Swindle always struck me as far more popular and memorable.

Quote:
I dunno, Classics Hotshot aside, Hasbro seem to be ignoring the Unicron Trilogy as much as they can, and the movie one possibly counts against him more than anything - a lot of people will associate the name with a Ravage-style sidekick.
Fair enough. Still, IMO kids are far more likely to see a Scorponok and go "I remember that guy!" than they would be with, say, Thrust. The biggest downside with Scorpy is that you can't get much mileage out of redecos, with Pincher, Double Punch and Black Zarak not really being household names.
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 08:20 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
You're probably right about that. The originals are so boxy that just making more-articulated deluxe-scale versions of them probably wouldn't go very well. I think the basic layout still works though, at least for Bombshell and Shrapnel. Not so much for Kickback, ironically, and he's the most likely to get a new toy just on the grounds that they still own his name (assuming they treat the Insecticons like they do most sub-groups and just make one). I think they'd turn out pretty good in that style, though, and they would still recognizably be the Insecticons.
It's more than I just can't see them getting away with those marvelous Diaclone alt modes, which were basically robots in the rough shape of dinosaurs/insects - I think it'd be too weird for the general market to have, say, a beetle with wheels and landing skids instead of insect legs. I also think the black with purple/yellow wouldn't look so good on something less stylised either.

Quote:
Another idea that jumps to mind a hand-held video game system (like a genericized PSP) with the tapes becoming game cartridges.
Problem is even chunky computer cartridges are moving towards history now in favour of discs or slim cartridges... I think ROTF and Animated both came up with interesting takes, but a bit too different to be ported back to Universe (ROTF's being too difficult to implement properly, and Animated's being too overtly cartoony). A surveillance van with the 'tapes' as various pieces of equipment kept in the back is my best guess, but how you'd actually implement that as a toy that wasn't Supreme sized I don't know. The other option would be to go the Blackout/Barricade route - have fairly abstract parts of your surveillance van or AWACs or whatever pop out and transform into little robots/birds/cats.

Quote:
I never would have thought of Onslaught as the standout member of the Combaticons, though. Size aside Swindle always struck me as far more popular and memorable.
It's possible they didn't want to tread on Animated too much, although being a Voyager might have meant they wanted to go for an 'opposite' to Silverbolt.

Quote:
Fair enough. Still, IMO kids are far more likely to see a Scorponok and go "I remember that guy!" than they would be with, say, Thrust. The biggest downside with Scorpy is that you can't get much mileage out of redecos, with Pincher, Double Punch and Black Zarak not really being household names.
...whereas Thrust is cheap and ready to go. Name recognition value tends to go out the window a bit when the toy's a recolour - we probably wouldn't have got Crankcase, Roadbuster, Overkill, fracture etc. if there weren't moulds lying around. Of course, the downside is our chances of getting a proper Roadbuster, Getaway etc. are basically nil, though the half glass full way is that they're better than nothing.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 09:48 PM   #33
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Smile

Is Universe [For a catch-all name, I'm not entirely sure what they're calling the line this week] really depending on kids recognising the names and associating them with any prior versions though? I've always assumed that part of it was aimed mainly at us old farts, ideally any kids would be buying just because they like whatever the main Transformers brand is and think the toy is cool (plus it has the advantage of "This name, rough design and colour scheme worked for us once, can't hurt to offer it up to kids who don't remember the original as something new").

In terms of adults likely to be buying the toys for themselves now, I'd suspect the playing field is pretty level as far as obscure characters go, they're as likely to recognise Scorponok as Prowl and so on, and many probably buy every release regardless. It's how well the various toys do with the kids that probably affects the lines future more than anything. And, unless I've missed something and universe has an insanely small production run compared to Animated/unicron Trilogy/The Main Main Line (though probably it would be smaller than the film stuff) they'll still need those kid sales more than anything else.
 
inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 04:12 AM   #34
Notabot
Lutheran
 
Notabot's Avatar
 
Lowden, IA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I thought it was a civil matter?
I honestly didn't know that until now. I was going with the general sense of "criminal" in that you are doing something wrong/illegal.

However, upon further investigation this site states the following:
Quote:
It's always at least a civil matter (a tort). 17 U.S.C. 501(b) details
the mechanisms by which an owner of a copyright may file a civil suit,
and 28 U.S.C. 1338 expressly refers to civil actions arising under the
copyright act.

However, under certain circumstances, it may also be a federal crime. A
copyright infringement is subject to criminal prosecution if infringement
is willful and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial
gain. 17 U.S.C. 506(a). If the offense consists of the reproduction or
distribution, during any 180-day period, of 10 or more copies having a
retail value of more than $2,500, the offense is a felony; otherwise, the
offense is a misdemeanor. 18 U.S.C. 2319.

As a side note, although 18 U.S.C. 2319 purports to prescribe the
penalties for criminal infringement, all crimes covered by Title 18 have
their penalties determined by the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, another
part of Title 18.
And since it's on the internet, it has to be true!
 
Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 02:14 AM   #35
S_Windell
Dinobot
 
S_Windell's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Totally agreed on that point. Hound was an odd character to pair him with, and taken out of context Ravage is more than a little bit weird as a Transformer.
The Hound vs. Ravage thing makes perfect sense. They had their moments.

Quote:
I never would have thought of Onslaught as the standout member of the Combaticons, though. Size aside Swindle always struck me as far more popular and memorable.
Yeah. In all honesty, I've always gotten the impression that the Ultra Onslaught, as much as I love it, seems to be one of those cases where the toy was designed first and then the question was raised, "okay, who could this be?" Onslaught was a decent choice, if that be the case...
 
S_Windell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.