• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2011-06-29, 12:21 PM   #101
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Loved the Real Gear robots myself - Spyshot, High Score, Booster and Long View were all ace; the others less so, but only the Decepticon gameboy-thing (Power Up?) was particularly poor.

And yeh, I love the Diaclone cars too - nowhere else in the whole line is there so much imagination in terms of "right, how different can we make these cars that turn into robots look?". They're not perfect or anything, but as HasTak (when not thrown a curveball by the Bay films, at least) seem to be settling for variations on a theme nowadays (Jet? Knob the Valkyrie layout! Car? Hey, everyone loved Alternators Smokescreen!), it's nice to have variation.

It continues to amaze me that people complain about the Amazing Onebox Brothers and would rather have the moronically generic Marvel models. And then they did them like that in Universe and taught everyone a lesson about being careful what they wished for. Lovely.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 06:05 PM   #102
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I don't know, we had those real gear robots a few years ago
Three similar small robots combining into what'd be a professional/prosumer camera form factor these days wouldn't exactly scream to kids, I don't think...

I'm tempted by the PE one, but my initial interest in figures doesn't last long these days.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 08:12 PM   #103
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK
Default Joustra Diaclone WHEELJACK! (Lancia Stratos)

Hi guys,

I've been looking forward to this for ages. It's been a long time since I wrote an article this long about an item so special. This is the first and only packaged (or loose for that matter) example I or anyone I know has ever seen of the 1985 Joustra "Diaclone" Lancia Stratos (Wheeljack) sold in Europe. If there are more, posting on these forums should help uncover them!

I fully believe this to be amongst the world's rarest mass-release, non-prize, non-store-exclusive, internationally sold pre-Transformers/G1 Transformers item. Rarer than Marlboor Wheeljack, Blue Bluestreak, PCDX, Finnish Black Tracks or any of those other hyped and scarce expensive Diaclones, I genuinely believe this to be a world premiere for this item!

It's very long with many pictures and an enormous and humbling number of contributions, but I think it's one of the best I've produced in a long time. I hope you agree:

Article joustralan <- CLICK

In addition to that, it gives me great pleasure to also present the simultaneously-released 4th installment of the article series by the quite incredible 20th Century Toy Collector on the fascinating link between Joustra Diaclones and Milton Bradley (MB) Transformers in Europe. This is one of the very best TF-related articles I have ever read, the research and information is simpy unmatched anywhere in the world when it comes to TF writing, and it ties in beautifully with the Joustra Wheeljack article. Mijo and I have timed the release for extra exposure and a real treat for anyone who's interested in this field of collecting or generally as mad as us about European Transformers and Diaclones. There are some real revelations and excellent graphics work. You may never read a better summary of what happened in Europe between 1984 and 1985:

http://20thcenturytoycollector.com/m...ormers-part-4/ <-CLICK

All the best
Maz

In-depth articles and reviews www.TF-1.com

Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 09:26 PM   #104
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

A long road to the Classic Heroes release that has the strongest memory for me... they might have been dated by then, and expensive for what they were, but there's things about the early moulds versus their generally more rounded successors that give them far more character. Part tie-in fiction, but also as you say the care and detail lavished on them... packaging, stickers, a total product. It didn't take more than a few years before the toyline in general was just being churned out.

Old 2011-08-18, 06:25 PM   #105
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK
Default Diaclone Smokescreen Takara/Hasbro "SAMPLE"

Hi all,

I've just updated TF-1 with another article about a particularly special and historic item from when Diaclones were becoming Transformers, a SAMPLE Diaclone Fairlady Z Racing Type in a Diaclone box labelled as "SAMPLE" - and all the Diaclone references removed with hand-painted stickers and hand-scribbled notes on the toy made by Takara/Hasbro to simulate the look of the upcoming Transformers Smokescreen.

Hope you enjoy it, was a real pleasure to write this one

Article smokesample <-CLICK

For all those who read the sneak peek from the link posted at Twitter, I've added a few nice scans just before the end which you may like to check out! I've also credited Jimmy for his pics although they are not included in the article yet, I will post in this thread as soon as they are.

All the best
Maz

Old 2011-08-18, 06:50 PM   #106
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Mmm, Smokescreen's so gorgeous. My first TF, and probably never bettered for sheer impact and timelessness.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 10:38 PM   #107
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Thumbs up

You know, I'd no idea Smokescreen was based on a real racing car, that's kind of awesome and makes the Bineltech/Alternator's updated real life colour scheme even more appropriate.

Another lovingly done write up, it's easy to forget the process of turning Diaclone into Transformers wasn't just a case of sticking pre-existing toys in a new box with different stickers.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:13 PM   #108
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK

Cheers for the kind words guys. I totally agree about Smokescreen's instant hit appeal, he was my first Autobot car for a reason I guess!

Yep, based on the FUji 6 hour Electramotive IMSA GTO class Datsun 280ZX Turbo, and not the #83 as is commonly mistakenly quoted, but an actual one-off #38 japanese Fuji enduro special.

Very nice homage indeed

All the best
Maz

Old 2011-08-19, 07:12 PM   #109
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK

As promised, I've just added pictures of the Diaclone Swoop and Diaclone Constructicon samples to the start of the article. The Construction Robos actually have the Transformers names written on the box although I haven't used those particular photos.

All the best
Maz

Old 2011-12-17, 07:20 PM   #110
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK
Default TF-1.com + Joustra-Diaclone.com

Dear all,

For the last month or so I've been putting together the biggest, most comprehensive and ambitious article I have ever written, numbering over 10,000 words and containing over 110 photos. It is the fruit of nearly 14 years of collecting and the incredible contributions of many generous, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and unique collectors throughout the world.

This one feels like my life's work, but I cannot take sole responsibility for it by any stretch as the credits will show just how much input others have had in shaping what I hope will be for the forseeable future, the definitive article on the conception, history, evolution and fate of the Ceji Joustra Diaclone toy line from Europe.

Ceji Joustra Diaclone Overview <- CLICK TO READ

Article includes:
  • Diaclone roots and inception
  • Joustra Diaclone comic cover scans
  • Pictures of all Joustra Diaclone toys found to date including never before seen world first Wave 2 pictures!
  • Magazine and print adverts for Joustra Diaclones
  • Dealer Catalogue scans from 1984 and 1985
  • Theories on unanswered questions and mysteries around the toy line since day 1
  • Eventual fate of the Joustra Diaclone line and what happened to the toys
  • Paul Vromen's incredible sidebar artwork for this article

As if that wasn't enough, it is absolutely a wonderful pleasure to introduce a brand new website dedicated entirely to the Ceji Joustra Diaclone toy line created by RpChristophe, a French collector, researcher, enthusiast and someone I consider a great friend:

JOUSTRA DIACLONE <- CLICK TO VIEW

Features include:
  • Full scans of all Joustra Diaclone comics found to date
  • Exploded packaging images for all Joustra Diaclone toys found to date
  • Bio of the Joustra Diaclone wave 1 artists Paul & Gaetan Brizzi
  • Available in French and English

Finally, the following articles on TF-1.com have been updated to include new discoveries, better and new photographs and contributions and to reflect the findings since original posting:

(1)DIACLONE BLACK TRACKS

INCLUDING:
  • New packaged and loose images

(2)MILTON BRADLEY AND THE TRANSFORMERS RED TRACKS

[/B]

INCLUDING:
  • Info and pics updated to reflect discoveries made by Mijo at 20thcenturytoycollector.com

(3)BLACK MEXICAN PROWL

INCLUDING:
  • New photos of packaged and loose Mexican Prowl
  • Updated copyright stamping variant information
  • Paul Vromen's Prowl artwork added to sidebar

(4)MEXICAN SMOKESCREEN "SMOKESTREAK"

INCLUDING:
  • New variant of Mexican Smokescreen "Smokestreak" found

I do very much hope you enjoy all of the work above even half as much as we have enjoyed putting the articles, pages and websites together. It's been a real labour of love and with all work like this it will undoubtedly be subject to change in the future when further discoveries are made. Mijo's work on MB Transformers is a great example of new research and perspective necessitating changes to my own work and website.

Feedback, as always, is welcome

Massive thanks to all involved, especially Christophe, Mijo, JB, Paul and all article contributors. It's been an unforgettable joy to work with you all, and get to know you all.

All the best
Maz

Old 2011-12-17, 08:34 PM   #111
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
It continues to amaze me that people complain about the Amazing Onebox Brothers and would rather have the moronically generic Marvel models. And then they did them like that in Universe and taught everyone a lesson about being careful what they wished for. Lovely.
To be fair, Cliffy, the Ratchet and Ironhide G1 toys were awful as Transformers characters, and they could have been updated fairly well to include something closer to the Marvel character models. Indeed, Energon Towline was pretty close to this ideal, hence it's use at BotCon. I would still prefer these as my Classics Ironhide and Ratchet if they weren't so insanely expensive these days.

But the actual Classics Ironhide and Ratchet were just shit designs that were made overly complex for the sake of being overly complex, ruining the vehicle mode and making a finicky robot mode. It wasn't the concept which was at fault here, since Prime has a similar base transformation and many, many good toys were made of him, it was just a piss poor execution on these specific toys.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 01:02 AM   #112
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I think "comprehensive" barely covers it, that's going to take a long time to read through but looks as worth it as ever, love the "Space Monsters" advert already.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 12:25 AM   #113
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I think "comprehensive" barely covers it, that's going to take a long time to read through but looks as worth it as ever, love the "Space Monsters" advert already.
Haha even during the writing of it, I just kept discovering and being presented with new things so it got longer and longer!

All the best
Maz

Old 2011-12-19, 08:08 AM   #114
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I've had a few visits to your site and love the depth and level of detail in your articles. The overview is a lenghty read, but very well researched and a fascinating look at a very different spin on Takara's property. The Brizzi's artwork is a joy to behold too. Very pulpy and dynamic. Excellent stuff, Maz (and helpers!)

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 07:55 PM   #115
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

It's really amazing how much of this stuff was produced, only to effectively get put aside when Transformers ramped up.

Top stuff as always.

Old 2011-12-23, 06:55 PM   #116
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK

Hey all,

I've once again updated the Joustra Diaclone Overview article to include the following:

- Changed text to reflect the very recent discovery of comic chapter 8 in GERMAN
- Added new and better images of Japanese Takara Turbo Magnum sample sent to Hasbro

http://www.tf-1.com/articles/pretf_f...hp?art=joustra

All the best
Maz

Old 2012-01-07, 04:30 PM   #117
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK
Default TF-1.com - Joustra Diaclone Robocolt (Browning) article

Hi all,

Please find below the link and preview pictures for my latest work, an article for TF-1 on the European "Diaclone" version of the Micro Change MC-07 Browning Gun Robo called "Robocolt", possibly one of the most stylish and classy releases in the world of TFs and pre-TFs:

JOUSTRA DIACLONE ROBOCOLT (BROWNING) ARTICLE <- CLICK TO READ

Features include:

- Detailed Micro Change history
- Pictures of all variations and releases
- Links with Masterforce
- Joustra comic and paperwork scans and translations
- A heartbreaking story of tragedy and loss!
- Something VERY VERY VERY special towards the end, trust me, it's worth it!

I hope you enjoy it, this has been one of my favourites to write.

All the best
Maz