• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2009-03-19, 04:23 AM   #41
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer Kamen View Post
Finally got around to picking up a Dremel (Dremel Stylus).

Anybody have general tips for dremeling, recommended bits, or things to watch out for?
Finally! Dremel Stylus! I got that as well!

Yes, get a 150 piece kit. Simply because the Stylus comes with every type of bit except cutting disks.

The single bits are ripoffs.

Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 01:26 AM   #42
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Bump.

Cause this info needs to be read.

And I feel like it's the greatest thing I have ever contributed to this site.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 06:42 PM   #43
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

There are some useful tips here --

http://www.pilliod.net/secrets.htm

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 01:58 AM   #44
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

ooh, my first sticky post... cool, thanks MODS!

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2009-05-30, 03:32 PM   #45
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

one thing anyone can do that is easy, take a saw blade or the stone tool, thin wafer-like thing on your dremel and get your Cybertron Optimus Prime. For his crotch plates, cut them into three sections, once done so, you will be amazed how much better the figure works AND how much more movement is now given. even if you take some of the detailing of the edges of away, like i did by accident, there is now added leg movement without having to flip the entire crotch plates up at the same time.

"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 06:17 PM   #46
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

a tip i got from a fellow car modeler years ago:

Get the molded plastic radiator fan from any model car kit.
glue a piece of spue to it's center as a drive shaft.

fit the sprue into a drill or dremmel: now to have a great paint mixer for testors small brush paints.

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2009-07-17, 05:49 PM   #47
borg72
Less than meets the eye

Cleveland

ok, heres something that no-one has asked yet...

So i just splashed out and bought my first ever gundam marker (Gold in this case, and not for TF's, but it got me thinking)

Any advice/hints/tips/suggested uses for a total n00b to gundam-marker-ing? what should i know before i start?

obviously im not going to bust out the leader prime for my first ever attempt, but id like to get to the point where i could at least trust myself to add some detail to sideways stomach-o-orange...

borg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 03:01 PM   #48
Treadshot A1

My advice: Use a paint brush. Otherwise, what is there really to advise? It's just a marker, really.

Oh, when you push the tip in to get the ink flowing, don't hold it there too long, or you'll end up with a table full of ink.

Old 2009-12-23, 02:10 AM   #49
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

A1 is right, paint pens can be unforgiving when it comes to paint flow and control.

I have used them but really I don't recommend them.

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2009-12-28, 01:05 PM   #50
Treadshot A1

Oh, i almost forgot: Sideway's torso o' orange has lots of physical detail, right? Well, to be perfectly honest, nearly any detail will screw up a marker pretty bad. It won't get into the crevasses.

My advice: Search for and learn to blackwash (or any other colour, same principle). Obviously, this involves a paintbrush.

Old 2009-12-29, 03:05 AM   #51
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I blacked out all of Sidways' torso and found it so lacking I went back at it with a little red to highlight some of the robo bits.

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2010-01-24, 02:10 PM   #52
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

Does anyone know how I can achieve that worn/realistic look with my paints? e.g frenzy/rumble's hound or constructicons, i'm using acrylics at the mo and i'm just starting out. i've bought a load of cheap sacrificial tf's to practice on. contemplating getting an airbrush, any recommendations brandwise?

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Prowl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 10:34 PM   #53
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

How do you all get the paints to not be tacky? Or I guess, which paints do you use that aren't tacky? Or does tackiness just come from over-painting? And what should I use for seal-coating?

I'm just curious because I would eventually like to mod the case of my recently acquired GBA SP, but since it's going to be in my hands a lot, I don't want a tackiness feel after an hour of playing. Basically I figure I would try some kitbashing on some duplicate deluxe TFs I picked up a while back, and when I feel like I am good enough to not screw it up, I will disassemble my GBA SP case and have a go at it. Thanks!

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 02:22 AM   #54
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
How do you all get the paints to not be tacky? Or I guess, which paints do you use that aren't tacky? Or does tackiness just come from over-painting? And what should I use for seal-coating?

I'm just curious because I would eventually like to mod the case of my recently acquired GBA SP, but since it's going to be in my hands a lot, I don't want a tackiness feel after an hour of playing. Basically I figure I would try some kitbashing on some duplicate deluxe TFs I picked up a while back, and when I feel like I am good enough to not screw it up, I will disassemble my GBA SP case and have a go at it. Thanks!
tackiness comes from the type of paint. not all paints cure properly on some surfaces. Enamels won't cure properly on any other type of plastics besides styrene, ABS, Acrylic, and Butyrate. IF you apply it to rubberized plastic, Polyurethane, Vinyl, nylon, or any other type of plastics, it will not cure properly and remain tacky because it cannot chemically bond to those types of plastics. The solvents in the enamel can't break them down to make the chemical bond, thus, it remains tacky.

Acrylics don't have this problem, They'll cure on anything.

Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 03:25 PM   #55
frenzy_rumble
Powermaster

San Diego, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post

best bet is to throw a coat of lacquer, urethane or acrylic, then paint enamels over it. I do this all the time.

frenzy_rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 03:27 PM   #56
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl1984 View Post
Does anyone know how I can achieve that worn/realistic look with my paints? e.g frenzy/rumble's hound or constructicons, i'm using acrylics at the mo and i'm just starting out. i've bought a load of cheap sacrificial tf's to practice on. contemplating getting an airbrush, any recommendations brandwise?
The impression I get is that Badger are a reasonable budget option (yet to use mine, though I got it for car type paints... if nothing else, "can of badger propellant" trips off the tongue nicely.)

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/ covers drybrushing and washes, and the advanced section bit on blackwashing may also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578
Use acrylics, use primer (sparingly, but don't skip this step -- especially for anything that's going to be handled), and try matte varnish from miniatures ranges. Vallejo appear to generally be better value than Citadel and I'm going to give them a whirl when I get time to finish the Shockwave I've started.

Personally I've never had much luck with aerosols and would rather use decent-quality brushes.

Last edited by Denyer; 2012-02-15 at 03:44 PM.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 03:38 PM   #57
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Thanks for all the help everyone! Are there any brands you guys prefer for the enamels, acrylics, primers, and lacquer?

I don't really want to buy anything cheap that won't work well, I would like to do it properly and be proud of my finished product...

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote