• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2012-03-09, 12:28 PM   #41
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Presumably (well, hopefully) it's another character talking rather than the narrative voice, it has the feel of Xaaron/Primus or the Keepers recap speeches.

With that allowance though, it's not exactly very exciting and does come across as Furman parody. And the big problem, as most recently pointed out by Warcry and discussed by many others elsewhere, it completely misses the point. If they wanted to do a fresh jumping on point they should have just done a new issue 1 set in the Marvel Universe, promoting it as issue 80.5 sends out a completely different message to what they seem to actually be doing.

Wildman's art is better than I expected though, even if I've no idea who the long haired blond bloke is on the first page, can't be Spike can it? And of a cover that's supposed to be excitingly recalling some of the greatest moments from the Marvel (well, mainly Furman's run) why is there a completely dull picture of the moon? "Hey, remember that issue where the moon just sort of sat there in the sky? Good times".

And there's something funny about them going for purple Soundwave when IDW's own recolouring of the proper Marvel stuff has, for no real reason as it was always an intentional choice rather than a mistake they did every single issue, he's now blue.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 12:59 PM   #42
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
And the big problem, as most recently pointed out by Warcry and discussed by many others elsewhere, it completely misses the point. If they wanted to do a fresh jumping on point they should have just done a new issue 1 set in the Marvel Universe, promoting it as issue 80.5 sends out a completely different message to what they seem to actually be doing.
So true. I'm someone who hasnt really read much of the marvel stories bar what I read years ago as a kid (probably all withing the first 30 issues max). I'm not sure I want to start in on another universe seeing as I'm already invested (for better or worse) in the current IDW version.

The other problem is that Furman has already had another shot at things - several in fact. IDW might have had a better chance of getting me to buy this if I hadnt seen the interesting but messy War Within, the frankly awful Energon and the good to start, awful end of IDW version 1. Its not like Furman has pedigree with the current fanbase.

On the one hand there is the saving grace that there is a finish from the start but if it is a success there's no reason to think that IDW wont try and extend it. Which is where Furman has seemed to fall down.

But the flip side is that this is a clear attempt at going back to reclaim supposed old glory. The problem when you do that is that it can often shine an unforgiven spotlight on what was once held up as classic.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 02:37 PM   #43
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Wildman's art is better than I expected though, even if I've no idea who the long haired blond bloke is on the first page, can't be Spike can it?
Wildman has and always will draw humans like Rob Liefield, i.e. whatever was fashionable at the time he started drawing has stuck.

The moon might be a reference to "Totalled", which did have that somewhat pivotal battle there. However, that was a story by someone outside of the Wildfur clique of TFUK losers so it's more likely to be a reference to Furman's round, bald head.

The prose is Furman trying to write like Furman, which hasn't worked in the past 18 years and is unlikely to start working now. Like you say, that'd be a pretty good parody of his writing style, but as the real thing it's a bit worrying. I think we're going to get a lot of telegraphed Furmanisms in this thing as what we've seen and heard about the book thus far points to a pair of guys who completely misunderstand what made their original work so good.

To be fair to them, I'd be at a bit of a loss to explain just what that is, but it's clearly a certain chemistry that involves outside factors (such as how fresh most of the ground they were covering in 1991 was) and a degree of spontaneity and zip that two semi-retired old ****ers desperate for one last payday can't summon up. It's Cole and Yorke at Blackburn, Pacino and Coppola in Godfather Part III, a Eurythmics reunion album or Guest House Paradiso.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 03:59 PM   #44
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Oh, I was wondering where I had left my copy of Simon's CV. He's very kindly sent out an update.

... I no longer can support the view that making this comic was a terribly good idea.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 09:41 PM   #45
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

What happened to Ideon?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
The moon might be a reference to "Totalled", which did have that somewhat pivotal battle there. However, that was a story by someone outside of the Wildfur clique of TFUK losers so it's more likely to be a reference to Furman's round, bald head.
I did think Totalled briefly, but dismissed it for the same reason. Indeed, the only reason I said "Mainly" Furman rather than totally is I'm not sure what's going on in the top left hand corner. Perhaps It's Hydrus IV?

Old 2012-03-09, 10:03 PM   #46
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, Hydrus 4. Possibly traced. Looking at it again, I think that's meant to be Cybertron with one of its' moon about to peek out. IIRC Andy Andrew always did a pretty low-detail Cybertron even when he used to be able to draw.

Old 2012-03-10, 07:21 AM   #47
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Good God that's a horrible read. it also bears all the usual hallmarks of a FCBD comic - total filler material of minimal interest. Boo.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 08:57 AM   #48
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Some people at Transfans have suggested the blond man may be a character called "Circuit Smasher", IDW's cunning way of getting around Marvel's ownership of Circuit Breaker by giving her some sort of sprog. I'd have suspected this was a joke of some sort if not for it reminding me I'd seen people talking about it on Twitter a few weeks ago. I'm still sort of hoping it's some sort of meme thing I've misunderstood as it's a truly horrible, shitty idea that's basically IDW not being happy enough to make money out of some one elses stories they don't own but to also try and sneak in the things that are copyrighted. It's not even as if Josie was a Furman creation anyway...

Old 2012-03-10, 12:16 PM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Editing may have missed that the book wasn't really The New Adventures of He-Man.

Being FCBD, it has to be filler, really -- distribution just isn't wide enough. Will check out the issue, but there's nothing in there so far stylistically that suggests that the maxi-series will be worth following.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 02:33 PM   #50
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland
Talking

Quote:
Editing may have missed that the book wasn't really The New Adventures of He-Man.
Funny and yet so plausible...

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 02:53 PM   #51
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
"Circuit Smasher"
The really stupid, stupid thing is that the Neo-Knights in general and Josie in particular aren't needed. Josie's in a coma, which works out beautifully for everyone, especially the readers. If they're going 20 years down the line there's really no need to use them for anything; if they were going a month down the line a handwave about Jetfire (he will be in this, **** that he was sidelined in the Marvel stuff years before Underbase) having "returned our human allies to Earth to recuperate after their help on Klo". It's not like anyone started a war when Walter Barnett disappeared for no good reason.

If anyone wants to hear me say something positive about this thing, it's that the thread inspired me to check out Incredible Change-Bots, and it's brilliant. Very nice to see such a loving parody done in such a charming fashion, manages to be biting without sneering. Recommended.

Old 2012-03-10, 03:36 PM   #52
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
If anyone wants to hear me say something positive about this thing, it's that the thread inspired me to check out Incredible Change-Bots, and it's brilliant. Very nice to see such a loving parody done in such a charming fashion, manages to be biting without sneering. Recommended.
It's a wonderful piece of work. Whenever I think of the felt-tip colouring I get a great big grin.

The biggest accomplishment is that it hits all of the interesting points of Transformers as well as the silly and nonsensical stuff. The notes of melancholy and violence and tragedy is all in there too.

Quote:
Circuit Smasher has both the Good and the Magic.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 12:07 AM   #53
Grayfox
Headmaster

Something someone heard on Rollout Rollcall:

SPOILER! (select to read)

(note: this is from memory, which is foggy and tired at the moment, so spare me if I got some stuff wrong. But as far as I can recall from the panel:

- There will be four story arcs.

-#85 will have a prominent and "irrevocable" death. Andrew's comment on Simon writing it: "He is sick, that boy."

-Geoff Senior will be supplying the alt cover for #81.

-#81, p. 2 has Kup looking up with Bludgeon dropping down on him on a swampy planet with lots of foliage. Although Bludgeon might not be all that he seems...

Original post: http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewt...=279895#279895

Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote