• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2012-03-17, 05:15 PM   #2701
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I picked up a Human Alliance Basic Whirl a couple days ago. I wasn't expecting much, considering how blah most of the DOTM figures I've gotten have been, but I actually really like him. He's got much the same ungainly weirdness as the original Whirl, including ski-feet and blocky weapons that can be clipped onto his body at odd places. He's also extremely poseable for a figure of his size, and the skis make him very stable on his feet. In a bigger figure the eccentric design might have been obnoxious, but on a Scout-sized figure it's charming. The alt-mode sucks though, especially if like me you're going to toss the little human figure somewhere and never look at it again.

My biggest gripe is the colour. This guy was clearly designed to homage the original Whirl, so I'm well and truly stumped over how he ended up dark brown. It doesn't look bad by any stretch, I just don't understand why Hasbro would go to the trouble of designing a figure with so many callbacks to the original if they're not going to go all-in and give him the original's colour scheme. I do hope they revisit the mold in the future and paint him in a more Whirly light blue.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 03:43 AM   #2702
Paul053
The man who painted heaven

North star where bananna froze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
He's really a gem isn't he? I've got Bumbles, Cliffjumper and Bulkhead so far [all FE] and Bulkhead blows the other two away easily. He's a tad mistransformed to fit in package, you did notice that the back tabs into the green panel on his butt and that the back wheels twist around and also lock on his back, right?

Moreover, the two headlights on the front actually tab on both vehicle and 'bot formations, and his two hood pieces can be inserted all the way into the tabs beneath his windshield so the window frames end up showcasing the angled headlights.

Oh man did I get excited for all those tabs or what?
Yep! Without those tabs, he is gonna be a floppy green giant.

Mine is terribly miss-transformed in the box. When I took him out, his right arm which was holding the mace stayed in the box. It took me long enough to put everything back to what he should be. And it took me even longer for my first time transforming him without instruction. But after everything gets there, man! He is that tight.

@numbat, he fits with the classics very well (which is the reason I bought him) so yeah, he will be a good match with Lugnut. Only yours is Takara version which will be darker green and shiny. I still prefer the more show accurate Hasbro green. And you should watch the show if you can. My son and I enjoyed the first season DVD so much (we don't have cable at home).

Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 02:34 PM   #2703
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

TFP:RID Wheeljack

This guy is the 'hard to get' figure of the first wave of Robots in Disguise deluxes. I'm not sure that he's the best of the wave, but it's a fairly decent toy all around, though it reminds me heavily of the 1985-1986 toyline, only with modern posability.

Wheeljack's vehicle mode is a angular, sleeker take on the original's car mode. It's a white racer with red and greeen details on the hood and canopy. It's actually a little understated, but it works here. The vehicle mode would be very much at home with Hot Rod, Kup, and Blurr back in the day - including it's flaws. The entire back end of the car is pretty much non-existant, and the lower front of the car is also non-existant. Though these don't quite ruin the look of the car mode, it has that 'not quite right' feel that the movie-bots had in 1985. The 'big honking swords' stow nicely under the vehicle mode as well, which is a plug. None of that 'stick an unconvincing gun somewhere on the hood' issue that some other figures in the line already have.

Transformation is fairly simple, though there are niggling bits (such as the wings) which can cause some issues. There is also a bit of somewhat frustrating panel-matching issue in a few parts, but nothing terrible. Take extra care on the canopy, as it's a little fragile.

Robot mode evokes the new version of the character pretty well, with only a modest amount of 'cheating'. It's definately reminiscent of the original Wheeljack, of course, but it has the strong 'Prime Aesthetic' of mixing the movie and Animater looks into something more coherent. The 'muscular' proportions and designs, though, once again remind me strongly of the 1985bots.

Overall, a pretty good, solid little bot with a few issues. Oddly, his design would have been great with the movie bots or the larger Targetmasters, aside from the modern articulation. I know it's a weird comparison, but the whole aethetic of the figure just keeps calling me back there. Maybe I should invest in an Arms Micron for the guy...

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 03:00 PM   #2704
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

TFP:RID Cliffjumper

Sure, this guy died in the first episode. Yet, he gets two unique molds for this design. This is about the Prime version, since the First Edition version is made of gold-pressed latinum laced with cocaine and viagara. I can't otherwise explain his rediculous pricing... Anyway, this one is just an action figure.

Cliffjumper is a shelf-warmer, largely due to the fact he's dead and already a zombie. Kids don't buy characters that are dead very often, so this isn't a huge shock. Besides, he's still outnumbered 10 to 1 with the hyper-warming Bumblebee, who will likely be around when my future great-grandkids buy their first Transformer.

Vehicle mode is actually a very nice muscle car, reminiscent of 1970s Mustangs, Chargers, and similar rides. This is probably the strongest selling point of the toy, as it's a car type Transformers doesn't visit often, but it's what most Americans think of when they think 'powerful car'. It's hard not to be excited by this car mode, really.

Transformation lives up to Hasbro's promise of detailed yet instinctive. Unfortunately there's a lot of cheating involved here. The hood-chest, lights, etc, that make up the robot mode are cheats. "Mech Tech" is used for the head and shoulders, which is an acceptable feature, but not one I've ever been enamored with. Arm transformation seems wrong, and I had to check it a few times to see if I got it right.

Robot mode is acceptable, but not great. The arms are overly long and seem un-engineered at the shoulders. The rest of the robot mode is pretty good, but I can't overstate just how much the arms really detract from the design. Yeah, I'll stop going on about it now.

Both modes make use of an oversized gun that resembles an engine block. It isn't one, though, and looks pretty rediculous in vehicle mode, since it can't even mount on the hood. So you get a huge-ass engine block mounted on the top, or fenders, or... yeah, this doesn't make sense.

So, in short, Cliffjumper is great for the vehicle mode, with robot mode being okay, and a really stupid gun thrown in. Not the best-engineered piece, unfortunately, and the character is dead, so it's hard to be excited by the character. An okay addition to the toyline, and he'll be very easy to find for awhile.

Old 2012-03-19, 04:28 PM   #2705
Cliffjumper
I NEVER MISS A BEAT

I'M LIGHTNING ON MY FEET
Smile

I've yet to even contemplate buying RiD Cliffjumper, which is odd as I'm pretty impulsive (I got RiD Prime and Tubby Tracks because they were on a shelf in front of me, despite knowing I'd hate them both) and he's everywhere here as well. I just don't see why they didn't use the far superior FE mould (it's probably the weakest of the FEs as befits a Hi-then-Die character, but it's a lot less cheaty). I'm really not sure what Hasbro are on with the comedy oversized weaponry - it didn't seem to do much for the DotM figures. I might be tempted if there's a Tailgate repaint down the line.

Did pick up Cyberverse Cliffjumper. He's hilariously bad, with his tiny little head and the "What the **** do we do with the car doors?"/"Who cares, they bought Windcharger, didn't they?" feet. Legends-size figures really don't seem to have improved at all since whichever UT line (Cybertron, was it?) brought them in.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 04:41 PM   #2706
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I'm really not sure what Hasbro are on with the comedy oversized weaponry - it didn't seem to do much for the DotM figures. I might be tempted if there's a Tailgate repaint down the line.
I know there's a Cyberverse Tailgate coming, but I haven't got any confirmation of a Deluxe Tailgate just yet. I would be surprised if there wasn't, really. It would be amusing that this mold keeps getting used for DEAD characters, though. Maybe they can throw a Sideburn or someone in there who isn't likely to be knocked off...

Quote:
Did pick up Cyberverse Cliffjumper. He's hilariously bad, with his tiny little head and the "What the **** do we do with the car doors?"/"Who cares, they bought Windcharger, didn't they?" feet. Legends-size figures really don't seem to have improved at all since whichever UT line (Cybertron, was it?) brought them in.
I'm a bit more forgiving of Cyberverse, since they're more 'cute' to me and I know there are serious safetly limitations involved in the little guys. Cliffjumper is probably the weakest of the Cyberverse at this point, but it's actually saying something fairly positive when you think about it. At least he skirts the issue of being OVERLY engineered, a problem that plauged the movie lines since Bumblebee became a Mustang.

Old 2012-03-19, 04:52 PM   #2707
Paul053

Just got PRID Ratchet. Haven't opened him yet but I'm quite sure he will need a lot of additional paint jobs.

Old 2012-03-19, 04:52 PM   #2708
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Bot Shots: Acid Storm, Nemesis Prime, Megatron

Not going to spend a lot of time talking about this set. Most of the details in transformation, etc., are already well covered. Acid Storm is a translucent green Starscream 'repaint' with some black paint to seperate out the helmet and detail. The deco kinda works for the little guy.

Nemesis Prime is the 'regular' Optimus Prime mold with black replacing the red and gray, leaving blue trim. This works out surprisingly well, and he comes off as a handsome little evil bugger. Though obstensibly a Decepticon, he retains the molded Autobot grill ornament.

Megatron returns in a darker gunmetal and silver scheme and it looks amazing here. If anything, this is the real prize of the set since the deco is so well done, outstripping the already-impressive Launcher version by far.

In short, a nice set, and a good way to get a fairly powerful Decepticon side going for your Bot Shots army, even if one of the members is confused about his allegiance.

Bot Shots Prowl, Sentinel Prime, Bumblebee
Because there just aren't ENOUGH Bumblebee toys on the shelves, here comes another one. Actually, though, this version is a slightly more 'burnt' tint to the look and is a little prettier in its deco than the regular Bot Shot toy. Stats are a little better too, though that's probably not a major selling point.

Sentinel Prime is the 'regular' version here, since his other version on the shelf is the translucent super bot. The deco here brings out sorely-needed detail and looks okay. Movie Sentinel Prime really isn't a must-get character, though, since he's basically super-douche-bag as opposed to Animated's "jerk", so I doubt he's going to be hyper-appealing to most people.

Really, the 'star' of this set is Prowl, which may show how weak this set is compared to its opposite number. I like Prowl, and the redeco of Barricade really does work well here, but I don't really see him being a draw for a big set like this. It's just he's really the only unique guy in the set.

A set you can pass on unless you're hooked on Bot Shots, but two-thirds of the set are redos of what's already out, and not as dramatic or well done as the Decepticon set. Prowl, the non-super version of Sentinel Prime, and yet another Bumblebee. Not exactly calling out to the wallet.

Last edited by Jaynz; 2012-03-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:04 PM   #2709
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Cyberverse TFP:RID Optimus Prime

Big Little Optimus Prime.

This is the first entry I got into the new Cyberverse commanders, and I'm already iffy on it. I'm not going to spend a lot of time talking about this guy, but just cover the basics.

Robot mode is basically TF Prime's robot mode, with the shoulder pauldrons, 'technoragnic' waist and muscular frame. Unfortunately he's got mega-feet thanks to some over-engineering in that department. He also has no real torso to speak of, being a very thin and hollow piece due to the transformation. It pains me, but Dark of the Moon did their Prime a lot better than this one.

Vehicle mode is a little better, but the over-engineering hurts well as here. Panels don't fully match up on the cab, and Prime's head is looking backwards from truck mode, with no effort made to conceal it. The robot mode's two large translucent guns have nowhere really to go that blends into the vehicle mode, either.

In short, it's Prime, so kids are going to get some of this guy, but it's a fairly weak effort even at this scale. A little more refinement of the design would have gone a long way, but this toy was made 'intricate' first and foremost, and both modes suffer for it.

Cyberverse TFP:RID Megatron

Okay, to get this out of the way, this figure's robot mode is amazing. Beautiful articulation, wonderful deco, just a tiny head working against an inspired take on Megatron. This guy leads your Cyberverse troops, and he'll piss on your Optimus Maximus in a heartbeat. Fusion Cannon and sword are nicely done as well. Just about perfect.

Sadly, I can't stop with just the robot mode. Vehicle mode is... well, I think it's kind of a jet in the way that the Pretenders of yore kinda transformed. Honestly, it's a rediculous mode and it's likely why we don't see Megs in it all that much. It's better to pretend this guy is an Action Master with MORE DARK ENERGON!

Yeah, a must get, but the Cyberverse size made a really bad alt-mode even more of a joke. And, yes, his head sticks out in jet mode too, like a drunk Beast Machines Vehicon.

Old 2012-03-21, 04:02 PM   #2710
Paul053

Just few pictures for my recent acquisition on FE Bulkhead. Sorry, I'm still so excited about getting this guy.

Comparison shot with Classics Prime.

With Lugnut.

Old 2012-03-21, 05:54 PM   #2711
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Oooohhh!

That photo with Lugnut looks awesome! I'm so looking forward to getting mine!

Looking for HFTD Voyager The Fallen (teal version with rip-off face). Have Transformers up for sale or trade from G1 to Classics to the live action Movie lines including MP-13B Soundblaster (no Ratbat), MP-04 Convoy, MP-05 Megatron, Classics Voyager Jetfire, ROTF Leader Optimus Prime, DOTM Leader Buster Jetfire etc! Check out my sale thread for more and feel free to PM me to negotiate costs or trades.

Check out my sale thread now!
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 09:21 AM   #2712
Knightdramon
One with the Matrix

Athens, Greece

Prime RID DLX Soundwave: Now there's a very nice sculpt. There's a fantastic sculpt! Both vehicle and robot are eye-candy, I was pleasantly surprised by the landing gear on the drone mode. Laserbreak is a nice extra, although he's sort of...like he has no distinct characteristics. Though I guess it's probably marketing and trademarks talking instead of "fly drone". Robot mode is very poseable and stable despite the funny-looking legs. Arms are very poseable and the head scult is AMAZING!

Prime RID DLX Wheeljack: My weakness for deluxe cars shows, especially with specimens like this! Transformation is a mix of clever, complex AND not frustrating. Everything locks and tabs somewhere. I need to find a way to store the swords in robot mode for neutral poses [over his shoulders where he has two holes?]. Nice poseability in the legs, decent arms, fits in perfectly size-wise with FE Bumble, Cliff and Bulkhead!

Mad props to Clay for hooking me up with these!!!

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 12:01 PM   #2713
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Prime RID DLX Wheeljack: My weakness for deluxe cars shows, especially with specimens like this! Transformation is a mix of clever, complex AND not frustrating. Everything locks and tabs somewhere. I need to find a way to store the swords in robot mode for neutral poses [over his shoulders where he has two holes?]. Nice poseability in the legs, decent arms, fits in perfectly size-wise with FE Bumble, Cliff and Bulkhead!
At each shoulder there is a hinge that connects the Wheeljack's robot back with his chest. Where the hinge meets the rear end of the car there is a little gap between the hinge and the outside panel of the car. You can slot the swords in those and the curve of the swords pretty much follows the curve of his back, plus that's where he stored them on the show.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 04:14 PM   #2714
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Picked up Prime RiD deluxe Soundwave yesterday. It's a good robot mode(although he looks like something out of Evangelion), great vehicle mode, and can do all kinds of dramatic-ish poses. Now, if only he did the dramatic poses on the show.....

Man.... every time I look at him, I want to dig out my Evangelion DVDs......

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 0748-2200-0487
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 06:54 PM   #2715
Knightdramon
One with the Matrix

Athens, Greece

Found that slot moments after posting, thanks for pointing it out mate!

Yup, Soundwave's surprisingly poseable and looks very layered and complex when he's very easy to do. One note: the small tip on the back of the jet that you open up to pop his head out, then swing it back and close the gap on his back:

If you pop it off [VERY easy] and put it back the other way, when closing back the head there's a tiny indentation that keeps his black spring loaded part pressed up so his head and neck does not collapse so low to the body.

Discovered it by accident when I popped the part off and examined it closely, but it's also on some video reviews.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 08:29 PM   #2716
Cliffjumper
I NEVER MISS A BEAT

I'M LIGHTNING ON MY FEET
Smile

My only problem with Wheeljack is that if a moving mask couldn't be incorporated, I really wish they'd gone with his mouth. He wore the mask for, what, 30 seconds of screentime... but then I do like that the Optimus toys have the mask, so I suppose complaining would be a bit hypocritical.

Old 2012-03-24, 03:49 PM   #2717
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

Picked up Prime Soundwave and Wheeljack from sainsburys the other day (in the toiletries section for some reason) Bumble bee and Cliffjumper were there also but I passed on them.

Then today I picked up 4 Marvel UK comics for 3 and was pleased to find Target 2006 among them.

-------------------------
Dang thats manly!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 04:30 PM   #2718
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

I just picked up TFP RiD Bumblebee yesterday, it's actually a pretty nice figure, the only real downside being the section of grille and bumper sticking up behind his head, and lack of some paint apps (the latter of which is easily remedied).

Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:00 PM   #2719
Cliffjumper
I NEVER MISS A BEAT

I'M LIGHTNING ON MY FEET
Red face

Belated acquisitions: got DotM Commander Prime earlier in the week, completing the set of figs I need as table decorations for my upcoming wedding. A run-down: -

- Commander Prime: probably the best downsized Movie Prime they've done yet, but I think the character model's just completely unsuited to this sort of size. Thus he still has weird legs and a big boxy chest.

- Commander Ironhide: tasty little mould, actually. Very faithful to the larger versions, well-articulated, arm artillery. Dent in the Topkick bonnet's a shame, but worth it for the chest.

- Legions Ratchet: Meh. Mediocre. Ratchet always seems to get screwed these days - 07, ROTF, Prime, Classics...

- Legions Bumblebee: He looks like the ROTF one with... extra feet? Not actually bothered opening him.

- Legions Roadbuster: What these should be like. Cheaty as ****, but both modes are highly accurate. Splayed legs are a bit of a shame, but the best of the Legends-sized figures.

- Legions Sideswipe: DotM retool? Not bad, per se, but not exactly great either. Arms let it down - could at least have made them pointy.

- Legions Leadfoot: Good car mode, dire robot mode. Aside from the head and the colour scheme looks absolutely nothing whatsoever like the character.

- Legions Topspin: Sucktacular. Awful little shell-former. Car mode looks dull, robot mode looks like a Happy Meal toy.

Old 2012-03-26, 02:59 AM   #2720
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

Just snagged Deluxe TFP Rid Wheeljack and Cyberverse TFP Megatron. Definitely nice figures.

Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote