[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

• transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers General Discussion > Modern Comics

Old 2012-04-20, 01:54 PM   #101
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
I'll give it a pass for now. I will say, however, that Maximus's speech read...well, a little stilted. It was awkward, in a retro 80's info-dump-ish sorta way.
I'm with you, Zig. I'm not a fan of the 'character thought to be dead revealed in one large panel' trick and thought the speech was the first bit of evidence I've noticed of Roberts patting himself on the back for past glories. Though mainly I was just pleased that Max was not, in fact, Grimlock. That incentive cover with Pipes reflected in Drift's sword made him look like a dead ringer for Grimmy.

Quote:
a year ago Tailgate's arc would have been drawn out for months, here he learns the error of his ways almost instantly (though he doesn't chose to become an Autobot either, so I'd say what he was shown wasn't so biased as to bring him fully round).
Yes! I was very pleased with that. They made the point, dealt with it, and moved on to two new, equally interesting points: Why is Cyclonus such a jerk and what will Tailgate make of all those Autobot atrocities that crop up from time to time? Also, how great is the text for the memory-rush sequence? When Costa shows us the war, we get an issue of Autobots running around from street to street, thumping people. Roberts gives us The Five Dark Epochs, another sliver of the Luna-2 puzzle and anti-neutral pogroms to mull over. Yikes.

Quote:
Is there any indication there's been any attempt at "Hey, we're alive!" contact with Cybertron?
I'd chalk that up to Rodimus just not caring about whether Cybertron knows that he is alive or dead. Or, rather, caring very deeply and wanting to pull a Tom Sawyer on them in about ten issues or so.

Quote:
Ratchet and Drift -- At some point I'd like to know what Ratchet's deal with Drift is*, but I think the 'frenemies' angle works. The two have a good dynamic and play off each other well.
I'm kind of immersed in this culture myself, but I assumed it was a straight-up 'science vs superstition' clash. Drift is a mystic and Ratchet is a doctor. Maybe there will turn out to be more to it than that. Incidentally, there's probably a sketchy first-year culture studies paper in the fact that American writers have Optimus Prime embrace the magical side of his inheritance and British writers have him be rather sceptical of the whole deal.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:07 PM   #102
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I'm taking Max's speech as complete bluster to cover the fact that hospital patients probably wouldn't be armed to the teeth, he's bluffing on an empty hand.

I do think with it being mentioned almost every issue (and playing a large part of the resolution to RID 3) the whole missing moon thing is building up to something. As most of the mentions have been in this book rather than the one set on Cybertron presumably they'll be an Obi Wan Kenobish "That... actually is a moon" moment.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:17 PM   #103
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
I'm taking Max's speech as complete bluster to cover the fact that hospital patients probably wouldn't be armed to the teeth, he's bluffing on an empty hand.
Good call.

Quote:
I do think with it being mentioned almost every issue (and playing a large part of the resolution to RID 3) the whole missing moon thing is building up to something. As most of the mentions have been in this book rather than the one set on Cybertron presumably they'll be an Obi Wan Kenobish "That... actually is a moon" moment.
It could be a fun exercise to piece together what we do know about the poor lost moon. Swerve was part of a team that went out to find it, wasn't he? Starscream was involved, though maybe not in its actual disappearance, and it was a 'part' in whatever it is that Cybertron 'does.' Hmm...

So who wants to bet that when it does show up, it turns out to be sentient and well-spoken?

Oh hells bells, I hope Trypticon is in this book in some capacity. They might have missed a trick in not having him actually be the Lost Light. There aren't many Decepticons who actually have a personality and there's something about the inherent ridiculousness of Trypticon that makes me want to know what he does all day.

Old 2012-04-20, 02:24 PM   #104
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Good call.
Certainly the big Armada Megatron stolen tank cannon thing isn't on page, and that missile launcher thing on his back seems to be empty (though it might be lasers I suppose?).

Quote:
It could be a fun exercise to piece together what we do know about the poor lost moon. Swerve was part of a team that went out to find it, wasn't he? Starscream was involved, though maybe not in its actual disappearance, and it was a 'part' in whatever it is that Cybertron 'does.' Hmm...
Having not read Chaos I was a bit confused by the whole Vector Sigma/Moon 1/Moon 2/It's the Cirrrrrrcle of liiiiiiiiiiife thing from RID 3 and what the point of it was, was it not properly explained in that series then? It's supposed to be a mystery? Because all the characters were talking as if they knew what it was all about.

Quote:
Oh hells bells, I hope Trypticon is in this book in some capacity. They might have missed a trick in not having him actually be the Lost Light. There aren't many Decepticons who actually have a personality and there's something about the inherent ridiculousness of Trypticon that makes me want to know what he does all day.
Has he done anything in IDW to establish his character? The Noel Coward DW version would be fun, the "Me stomp!" cartoon version less so.

Old 2012-04-20, 02:52 PM   #105
TLB80
Dancing on a Highwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Has he done anything in IDW to establish his character? The Noel Coward DW version would be fun, the "Me stomp!" cartoon version less so.
I'm pretty sure all he's done is show up in the background of some big fight scenes.

Oh, and he transformed once in AHM #13, methinks.....

TLB80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:58 PM   #106
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Certainly the big Armada Megatron stolen tank cannon thing isn't on page, and that missile launcher thing on his back seems to be empty (though it might be lasers I suppose?).
You know, I really like that 'rib cannon' thing that Armada Megatron has going on. It's a novel solution to a tricky design problem. It's odd that it hasn't caught on so much.

Quote:
Having not read Chaos I was a bit confused by the whole Vector Sigma/Moon 1/Moon 2/It's the Cirrrrrrcle of liiiiiiiiiiife thing from RID 3 and what the point of it was, was it not properly explained in that series then? It's supposed to be a mystery? Because all the characters were talking as if they knew what it was all about.
Ho ho! Nothing was explained in Chaos. All they said in RID was that Cybertron and its moons formed an electrical circuit, which would be a hell of a thing to miss if anyone lived there and was interested in how things work. It's not even science fictional - the moons of Jupiter conduct electricity. Here's a snippet from NASA about Io:

Io's orbit, keeping it at more or less a cozy 422,000 km (262,000 miles) from Jupiter, cuts across the planet's powerful magnetic lines of force, thus turning Io into a electric generator. Io can develop 400,000 volts across itself and create an electric current of 3 million amperes. This current takes the path of least resistance along Jupiter's magnetic field lines to the planet's surface, creating lightning in Jupiter's upper atmosphere.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/...?Object=Jup_Io

There are even bolts of visible lightning that jump the whole distance from Io to Jupiter. That is a very big bolt of lightning. I imagine that's where Barber is taking his cue from.

Quote:
I don't think so. But his Noel Coward incarnation is the best Trypticon, as well as the best bit of Dark Ages, I'd like to think it will shine on through.
I also like to think he uses those words in Big Dog's voice, and that it takes seven minutes to complete a quip.

Old 2012-04-20, 04:18 PM   #107
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Oh, and I guess Max would be the "Long thought dead" Autobot mentioned in the solicitations? Or was that for the next issue? Hmm, Springer would probably be there as well wouldn't he?

One other reason I really liked Max's speech is that it's the first unashamed "straight" heroic moment in the book. No irony, quips or winking to camera. As fun as everyone else is, having a character who just comes on and goes "I'm a big dame hero so sod off" is nice. And it is in keeping with how Rocharts (briefly) wrote him in Last Stand where he does a similar amount of "As soon as we've kicked their arses we'll make who did this pay" bluster in the face of overwhelming odds.

Can I say how much I love that First Aid fixed it (not to be confused with Fixit) with a giant pair of jump leads?

Old 2012-04-21, 05:11 AM   #108
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Quote:
Pharma has "Secretly Evil" written all over him.
Was thinking that too, what with him oh so conveniently being locked up in the quarantine room when, presumably, that disease was first released into the facility. Really, the whole situation is set up to make everyone there look suspect, even First Aid.

I think that's brilliant, by the way. I haven't a clue what the hell is going on, and I mean that in the best possible sense.

Quote:
Pipes was good...
Yeah, he was fine. Sure, we fulfilled the token 'wise-cracker' quotient a couple issues back, but he was good fun Emphasis on the 'was' part by the look of things. I did like the reoccurring "wet and kinda [insert adjective]" motif. Very chilling.

Quote:
Is there any indication there's been any attempt at "Hey, we're alive!" contact with Cybertron? Their subspace equipment is clearly working and though there's a bit of a handwave about time lags it's slightly contradicted by First Aid's message reaching them within two days, and that previous issues have show interstellar communication to be pretty much instantanious no matter where you are (though the -tion series did tend to treat the Universe as a slightly larger back garden).
This was a minor quibble of mine as well, since it's been established that the Autobots have been in contact with Delphi (at least) since Last Stand of the Wreckers. Before and after. Surely, the Lost Light is within broadcasting range now?

Maybe the message has already been sent out and there's simply a time frame difference between this book and Robots in Disguise?

Quote:
Hmm, Springer would probably be there as well wouldn't he?
Is he? I've only read the extras from the TPB version of LSOTW, but I know there's a prose story focusing on Springer's recovery in the hardcover edition. Does he end up on Delphi with Fort Max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Though mainly I was just pleased that Max was not, in fact, Grimlock. That incentive cover with Pipes reflected in Drift's sword made him look like a dead ringer for Grimmy.
That's who I thought it was going to be. Comparatively, Kup and Guzzle's search for Grimlock was probably one of the more extraneous bits from LSOTW, meaning the overall plot wouldn't have been affected had it been omitted. I felt the purpose of its inclusion (aside from tying up a loose end) was to set up a plot thread to be addressed at a later time. Namely here.

Happy to be wrong, though

Quote:
When Costa shows us the war, we get an issue of Autobots running around from street to street, thumping people. Roberts gives us The Five Dark Epochs, another sliver of the Luna-2 puzzle and anti-neutral pogroms to mull over. Yikes.
I'll say it again, I didn't know Soundwave had it in him.

No, seriously, I want to see the point where the Decepticons went from being so-called revolutionaries to inciting the Cybertronian equivalent of the Holocaust.

On a completely different note -- it was brought up elsewhere, but it bears repeating; did anyone else notice the similarities between the 'Genericons' and the Jumpstarters? Completely went over my head the first time around.

Last edited by zigzagger; 2012-04-21 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Wouldn't, not would've
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 09:46 AM   #109
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Was thinking that too, what with him oh so conveniently being locked up in the quarantine room when, presumably, that disease was first released into the facility. Really, the whole situation is set up to make everyone there look suspect, even First Aid.
I certainly don't think the DJD had anything to do with the zombie plague, I will bet Terome's left testicle that they don't have anything to do with anything till the cliffhanger of issue 5.

Quote:
This was a minor quibble of mine as well, since it's been established that the Autobots have been in contact with Delphi (at least) since Last Stand of the Wreckers. Before and after. Surely, the Lost Light is within broadcasting range now?
Yeah, it's a bit odd that there'd be no one on board who'd want to send some space mail home or call up their maiden astro-aunt for a chat.

What I liked about Pipes was him being the first real member of the crew we've seen who seems interested in the whole exploration thing.

Quote:
Is he? I've only read the extras from the TPB version of LSOTW, but I know there's a prose story focusing on Springer's recovery in the hardcover edition. Does he end up on Delphi with Fort Max?
As yes, I'd forgotten that, IIRC it has him on Debris with only an illiterate Robadbuster trying to read him stories for company.

Quote:
On a completely different note -- it was brought up elsewhere, but it bears repeating; did anyone else notice the similarities between the 'Genericons' and the Jumpstarters? Completely went over my head the first time around.
I spotted the reuse of the idea, I don't know if it's of any significance or just a callback. I'm surprised they didn't use this cast iron opportunity to feature some Action Masters as the monoformers.

Old 2012-04-21, 12:49 PM   #110
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
No, seriously, I want to see the point where the Decepticons went from being so-called revolutionaries to inciting the Cybertronian equivalent of the Holocaust.
Yep, maybe they can tie it in to when the autobots actually become proper heroic. Shades of grey are fun but so far IDW has painted early Autobots as the army of the oppressive government.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 10:02 PM   #111
zigzagger

Smile

Quote:
I certainly don't think the DJD had anything to do with the zombie plague, I will bet Terome's left testicle that they don't have anything to do with anything till the cliffhanger of issue 5.
Mmm, you're probably right about that, since, according to July's solicitations, the DJD stuff will be picked up again in issue #7.

Quote:
I spotted the reuse of the idea, I don't know if it's of any significance or just a callback.
Was thinking more than just the branched spark thing, but yeah, I doubt there's any significance. It's probably Milne taking his usual artistic license. Still, check out their heads -- they're the same shape as Twin Twist and Topspin's.

Old 2012-04-23, 07:20 PM   #112
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The Underbase review made the good point that if Pharma, good or evil, were to die, his expert surgeon hands would be going spare for Ratchet.

Old 2012-04-23, 08:17 PM   #113
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Another really good issue. There's a nice sense of piece and the condensed focus onto specific cast members is done well. The main plot is suitably creepy with a nice cliffhanger and Tailgates mini arc is nicely done - felt so bad for him when he tries to stand up to Cyclonus. Drift also gets some nice moments - his unnecessary flashiness suits him well and the interplay with Ratchet is interesting. Hope there's more behind this than just a straight clash of personalities.

As for Fort Maxs speech, I really liked it. Maximus suffered a little over the years - presiding over the least effective prison ever and then getting ripped to pieces by overlord. I wouldnt begrudge him beating the crap out of these 2 cons with his bare hands. The only thing I thought was a bit odd was the set up to first aid jump starting him. It all looked quite easy in the end so surely First Aid would have tried it on the sly anyway.

Couple of niggles though - Milnes art takes a bit of a dip, especially with the medbots design. Milnes shown himself to be great at recreating others designs but left to his own devices he tends to create over-styled gundam lookalikes. First issue I've found where I had to go back over the panels to find out just who was doing what - didn't help that Ratchet, Pharma and Ambulan all looked kinda similar.

Also, the quarantine thing seemed odd - surely he would have just written a message on his hand like "hey, you know you can over ride the lock and let me out" but there may be a swerve in all this that explains that next issue.

Old 2012-04-26, 06:11 PM   #114
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post

Couple of niggles though - Milnes art takes a bit of a dip, especially with the medbots design. Milnes shown himself to be great at recreating others designs but left to his own devices he tends to create over-styled gundam lookalikes. First issue I've found where I had to go back over the panels to find out just who was doing what - didn't help that Ratchet, Pharma and Ambulan all looked kinda similar.
Yes, I'm not drawn to Milne's designs in the same way that I am to Su's, Guidi's or Roche's. They're not terrible but they're also not very versatile. Off the top of my head, the only ones of his that stuck with me were Thingy and Springarm in Chaos Theory.

And yeah, the similarity to Ratchet didn't help, though I can see what they are getting at by including one.

Old 2012-05-17, 01:44 PM   #115
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I absolutley loved the whole "Wreckers" love-in with this one. Made me want to dig up my copy, though . . .

Hey guys, remember me? I have returned from a self-imposed anti-spoilers exile.

I have a stupid website now, www.dinosaurpoems.com
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 02:32 AM   #116
zigzagger

Default Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #5

This is your all purpose Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #5 reaction and discussion thread.

Preview @ IGN.

Last edited by zigzagger; 2012-05-23 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Move and edit.
Old 2012-05-22, 08:37 AM   #117
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Hecky!

Old 2012-05-22, 08:54 AM   #118
relak
Dinobot

And here i thought Fort Max got posessed by the ghost of OVerlord.

relak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 01:49 PM   #119
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Yeah, I would guess that is very deliberate.

Looks great though. Cant wait to pick it up.

Old 2012-05-22, 04:16 PM   #120
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by relak View Post
I thought it was more of a comment on the fact that most Transformers have wasp-waists and all of the structural weakness that suggests...

Liked Fort Max's awareness that he is wide. Transformers tend to shrink to fit wherever the plot needs them to be, but a bit of careful forethought can things a lot more interesting.