• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2012-10-28, 09:58 AM   #41
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Well if you look at the various creative teams that worked on TFs in the '80s, it would appear that getting talent onboard was soemthing of a problem. Although the likes of Frank Springer and Jose Delbo were capable artists, they don't exactly blow you away with dynamism... Sure the book was a strong seller back in the day, but that's largely because kids used to gravitate toward tie in media like that (ah, those were the days...).

Okay, we got a couple of Jim Lee covers, but he, like Derek Yaniger on G2 was largely unknown at the time and yet to achieve the breakthrough success he had with X-Men.

around the time of the Titan reprints and the nostalgia boom, you did get a whole slew of artists coming to the property whom previously wouldn't have touched the property with a barge pole - but for one off comissions (and of varying success at that).

That said, I am surprised that IDW haven't tapped up Simon Williams whom has previously drawn Transformers and has some fondness and enthusiasm for the thing - and, most importantly, can draw humans too! (anyone unfamilar with the guy's work, he's the one whom has done all the covers for the various Clear Vision releases of Marvel Cartoons commited to DVD over the last decade, he also drew the Pannini Armada comic).

Writers for Transformers seem hard to come by (again , surprised Nick Roche didn't have his hand bitten off when he offered to write for IDW) with Furman largely getting the gig back on the old Marvel US book because no one else was likely interested. Larry Hama's disdain having to do the G2 lead in was amusing - given that he too was working on a book based on a licensed toy property, so if even other creatives at the time had no interest working in a similar field, then pickings must have been really slim!

I do wonder if the concept of Transformers is both a bit silly and out there for some writers to get a hold on...who knows...but the writing pool seems very shallow indeed.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 11:54 AM   #42
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I...just really don't understand how IDW can't find a way to translate that into more sales. I mean, practically our entire generation grew up reading comics books, even if only occasionally. We've made nostalgia for childhood toys/TV shows/etc into an art form, and somehow nerdy passtimes are now considered cool. That should be the recipe for a new golden age for comic books, but no one (IDW included) have any idea how to capture what should be a very receptive market.
The other staggering brain thought I have had about this two or so days after the event is that Transformers comics probably don't succeed precisely because they are seen as a nostalgia thing. I was going to say that really Transformers should be focussing on what's new in the franchise, rather than trading on the '80s G1 franchise, but the movie comics have fallen on the rock of indifference and Animated doesn't seem to have been popular enough to warrant anything other than six issues of comics (written by the shows writers, no less) in the two or so years of its existence.

Perhaps the sad fact is now that Transformers are too closely asssociated with the toys and / or films for anyone to think that the comics are a valid outlet for anyone to bother with (insert your own Shane McCarthy/ Mike Costa/ Simon Furman joke as appropriate).

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 01:13 PM   #43
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbilex View Post
Now you have me wondering. Given how big Transformers was in the 80s, you'd think there would be a number of established writers and artists in comics who are/were fans. Why can't IDW (or Dreamwave before them) play on those people's nostalgia, get them to at least do fill-ins or mini-series if ongoing commitments would be too much? I mean, yeah, they hire fans, but it's always fans with little or no professional work. Fans from fandom. But what about pro fans? I mean, take Phil Jiminez for example. Based on that JLA/Transformers promo pic he did a while back, he has quite a bit of fondness for the franchise. There have to be a whole slew of people like him, guys who've made names for themselves in the funnybook biz and would get a kick out of working on some childhood favorites.

It can't be a money issue because, like I said earlier, IDW seems to be able to get bigger names for its other licensed properties. Though I suppose it's possible Hasbro charges much more for the TF license, leaving that much less money to pay the creative teams.
They got a fan to do a miniseries. Last Stand of the Wreckers was written and drawn by one and it shows. If IDW got more professional fans to work on Transformers titles then you'd might end up with more work of that quality.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 02:15 PM   #44
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

IMO there were two big reasons why the Movie comics failed: -

1) the designs don't translate across well to print; they're just too complicated and without the near-perpetual movement and lighting of the CGI models they tend to look like the masses of scrap the fanboys claim they are. Ironically the best Movie comic artwork I've yet seen is Geoff's "**** this, I'm Geoff Senior, I'll draw how I ****ing want" stuff. But most of it's trapped in an awful halfway house.

2) they're G1 comics just using Movie characters and continuity. Look at any of the adaptations and you'll see humans used for the bare minimum and Transformers standing around with stock characterisation. Like it or not the interaction between humans and robots has been and will continue to be the film's main selling point. Ignoring it is why these things sell to fans rather than normal people.

It's worth noting, incidentally, that the only time TF comics sold spectacularly well in America was under the watch of God Bob - and one of the central pillars of his work was interaction between humans and Transformers.

I mean, I ****ing love stories like Last Stand, but is it really surprising it's been read by less than 15,000 people?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 01:45 AM   #45
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Oh, um. I was going to say how a multi-property Mars Attacks crossover series would work much better as an honest-to-god trading card set highlighting the few possible jokes and WTF moments offered for each iteration, but it seems that things have gotten rather away from that this weekend.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 08:56 AM   #46
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

That's actually a pretty awesome idea.

Or just stick Tom Jones in all of it.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 05:10 PM   #47
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

I don't like Mars Attacks either - but I'm interested in seeing how the Judge Dredd crossover works out!

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 10:51 AM   #48
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Oh, um. I was going to say how a multi-property Mars Attacks crossover series would work much better as an honest-to-god trading card set highlighting the few possible jokes and WTF moments offered for each iteration, but it seems that things have gotten rather away from that this weekend.
This is one of those threads that I started reading, wanted to comment, kept reading, got confused and went to have a cup of tea instead. I'm so gald I've got a real internet connection now; I missed this place.

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote