• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2012-12-23, 07:30 AM   #1
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo
Default Happy Holidays! Lego Style!

Just thought I'd post this up here since many of you are Lego fans. My wife and I debated on buying a real Christmas village, then I thought I could buy a Lego one, and when I saw the prices for those pieces, I decided to give it a go with my own bricks. So here's a little log cabin all done up for the holidays! Taking some ideas from the Lego Ideas Book, I designed the roof to come off separately so it's easy to see the inside. Enjoy! And Happy Holidays!!!

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 08:22 AM   #2
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

hee hee that's really cute! i love it

Skyquake87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 12:19 PM   #3
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Pretty decent. It's tricky doing off-the-cuff things without tracking down a whole load of other pieces -- particularly for the "modern" style of generally not showing studs. But there's a lot of life left in the more classic pieces and mixing them in.

Were the red paned windows 70s?

edit: Nope, bit before -- http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=7026ac01

Still got some of those inherited from relatives.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 06:47 PM   #4
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

That's lovely. I like the way you made the Christmas lights on the house, and it always makes me nostalgic to see those single-piece pine trees. Most models you see nowadays shy away from them in favour of brick-built trees, but there's something to be said for the neat simplicity of the old ones. The snow could maybe use a bit more texture, but like Denyer says you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever pieces you've got on-hand when you do something like this on the spur of the moment. I think it turned out really well.

Santa's watch must be fast though, he showed up when it was still daylight.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 06:56 PM   #5
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
School Dacta sets are also gold for that sort of stuff too.

Lovely model

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 07:41 PM   #6
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Pretty decent. It's tricky doing off-the-cuff things without tracking down a whole load of other pieces -- particularly for the "modern" style of generally not showing studs. But there's a lot of life left in the more classic pieces and mixing them in.

Were the red paned windows 70s?

edit: Nope, bit before -- http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=7026ac01

Yep. Those windows are definitely inherited from sets my older siblings had. I don't usually use them much, but they came in handy on this one making a Bay window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
That's lovely. I like the way you made the Christmas lights on the house, and it always makes me nostalgic to see those single-piece pine trees. Most models you see nowadays shy away from them in favour of brick-built trees, but there's something to be said for the neat simplicity of the old ones. The snow could maybe use a bit more texture, but like Denyer says you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever pieces you've got on-hand when you do something like this on the spur of the moment. I think it turned out really well.

Santa's watch must be fast though, he showed up when it was still daylight.
Yeah, I would have liked to do more detail in the snow too; work and kids really derails all thoughts of doing something intricate! I figure this was a good starting point since I've literally never done Lego snow before, and I'd like to make it more complex with more buildings each holiday season from here on out.

I absolutely love single piece trees. I use them on all out-doorsy sets, matter of fact, I don't think I've ever tried building my own tree of bricks.

Santa just tried to get started a little early so he'd have some extra time for Ms. Claus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
School Dacta sets are also gold for that sort of stuff too.

Lovely model
Thanks!

Old 2012-12-26, 09:25 PM   #7
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm a bumpkin

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 11:07 PM   #8
Springer85
Unicron

All your base

Man, that looks awesome! Now I want a Lego snow villiage too

Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Springer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 03:44 PM   #9
Paul053
The man who painted heaven

North star where bananna froze

Lovely, great job.

Jealous you got that many Lego pieces. They are always not enough in my house. Not too long ago I built a simple Bat cave for my son and I nearly used all of mine. Now my wife is asking me to build a display stand for those little figures ............

Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 04:23 PM   #10
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Cheapest place for bulk is www.bricklink.com sellers if you haven't found it already.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 07:16 PM   #11
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
Lovely, great job.

Jealous you got that many Lego pieces. They are always not enough in my house. Not too long ago I built a simple Bat cave for my son and I nearly used all of mine. Now my wife is asking me to build a display stand for those little figures ............
I have a boatload of them, actually. I was really into them as a kid, so everyone bought me sets back then. When I hit grad school, I picked up quite a few castle themed sets, so my collection grew quite a bit back then too.

I'll post a few pics of my Castle/Fantasy setup I had going about 6 months ago, which has since been taken down. For the most part, I can build a ton of stuff, but once I get 4-5 buildings up, I run out of certain colored pieces and have to improvise. For this house in particular, I was getting short on brown blocks. I originally had a larger house in mind, but couldn't pull it off with the limited 'log cabin' pieces I have.

Keep an eye out for my huge setup, it was ~99% all custom stuff I put together!