• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2013-08-14, 07:19 AM   #21
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I don't need some seductive femme fatale. Just a solid ,well written character whom just happens to be female.

So Furman's not allowed within ten miles of her.

Poor, poor Arcee. She deserved so much better...

In fact, the handling of Arcee still makes me very very sad. She can't just be female, nooo. she has to be some mad experiment and a massive psycho. Brilliant. Like something from Evil Ernie. what b*ll*cks.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 10:02 AM   #22
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Cyclonus' missing horn is a plot point and not just to annoy Ziggy.
I think it's a plot to annoy Ziggy.

For a second I thought Ziggy was the dude who requested the interviewer to ask Roberts the question. Still am not convinced it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek
A storyline about a memory virus that spread through characters sharing experiences was vetoed.
I think it's implied that the general idea that the entire ongoing was going to be an anthology, and not just a short arc or whatever, no?

Quote:
The Scavengers might not seem so likeable when we revisit them. The intent with having the DJD be introduced with them was to have the most horrible and evil characters in that same story so what were effectively the leads in Krok's crew would seem sympathetic in comparison. In a story with more Autobots... they're going to seem more Decepticon-ey.
I very much like this. I mean, I don't mind someone like, say, Misfire or Crankcase acting like a dufus most of the time, but I really want to see Krok and especially Spinister be treated as dangerous (if fun) characters. I think this is a pretty unique way of introducing a group of villainous characters by portraying them as sympathetic first.

GO TEAM KROK

Quote:
the motto for the approach to the writing of the MTMTE ("Everything matters") is kind of awe inspiring when he lays down the full extent of what that means.
And James Roberts brings up a point from issue... four about a scene in a bar or something which got me flipping back and, yeah, I missed it as well. And a lot of foreshadowing about Ultra Magnus and stuff are being laid out.

Am going to sit down, go back and read the entire series soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Except for the stuff about Beast Wars characters popping up.
Am of two minds about this. On one hand, characters like Lockdown and Sky-Byte are just treated as 'one of the gang' and remain B-list. And both fill in a rather unique niche (okay, Lockdown could be Axer or Gutcruncher, but Lockdown has far more gravitas than him, at least for me) Bulkhead, I think, is another one shoved in for no good reason. Despite me loving Bulkhead as a character in Animated and Prime, you could replace him with Toomandi and there will be no noticeable changes.

Beast Wars guys are... well, on one hand I like seeing Wapsinator given a pretty good run by Barber (though his appearance in Spotlight Thundercracker is kind of shit), but I really, really hate how Barber handled Rattrap.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 11:45 AM   #23
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I think it's a plot to annoy Ziggy.
Now we know he glances at the feedback threads I do wonder if he sits there every month laughing maniacally as Ziggy gets more and more wound up.

That's what I'd do.

In fact, it is what I do and I'm just a bystander.

Quote:
And James Roberts brings up a point from issue... four about a scene in a bar or something which got me flipping back and, yeah, I missed it as well. And a lot of foreshadowing about Ultra Magnus and stuff are being laid out.

Am going to sit down, go back and read the entire series soon.
When I do do a reread I'm going to be paying special attention to see if Magnus does indeed never refer to himself as just "Ultra Magnus" (the idea being that every time he goes "I am Ultra Magnus Duly Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord" there's no comma between Magnus and Duly, the entire thing is his title).

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2013-08-14 at 12:58 PM.
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 12:28 PM   #24
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
When I do do a reread I'm going to be paying special attention to see if Magnus does indeed never refer to himself as just "Ultra Magnus" (the idea being that every time he goes "I am Ultra Magnus Duly Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord" there's no comma between Magnus and Duly, the entire thing is his title).
Damn, that's going to need another reread just to look those moments up.

My quick skim shows that the Annual omits the comma, at least, to Roberts isn't bullshitting. Not like, you know, I doubted or anything. Also, he refers to himself in third person a couple of times too there... the one I caught is him saying 'Ultra Magnus is not supposed to be a figure of fun!'

I salute you, Roberts.

Old 2013-08-15, 05:14 PM   #25
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

And two things mentioned on the Friday I'd forgotten which I don't think had been revealed before:

LSOTW came to be because Hasbro wanted a Wreckers miniseries as a way of creating name recognition prior to their use in the at that point still unnamed third film.

And more importantly, people who read my posts religiously know I've been mildly curious about the fact revealed at AA a few years ago, that of the three "Big" Autobots (Springer, Perceptor and Kup), all were due to die at different points, but one was saved by Hasbro, one by IDW and one because the writers couldn't go through with it. I've speculated ferociously about which was likely to be which, and this was talked about this year:

Spinger: Was intened to die right from the off and well into the process of writing the scripts before Hasbro asked he not be killed [As this seems slightly random- because he's hardly that big a name and Hasbro weren't really doing anything with him at the time- I suspect it's simply the case of him being a favourite character of whoever made that decision].

Perceptor: Denton Tipton (and I've never realised before how much of a silly made up name that sounds...) asked the scientist not be killed as he'd just gone through some major changes and it was felt they could be explored more fully [they haven't really of course, but hey].

Kup: Roche in particular thought he should live because there was a lot more that could be done with his mad zombie-seeing Pretender status. And, as Roche put it "Then Abnett and Lanning killed him. And I drew it!".

Old 2013-08-15, 07:23 PM   #26
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
LSOTW came to be because Hasbro wanted a Wreckers miniseries as a way of creating name recognition prior to their use in the at that point still unnamed third film.
I totally related to the violent Nascar parody dudes in the third film after reading LSOTW. Great job!

Quote:
Spinger: Was intened to die right from the off and well into the process of writing the scripts before Hasbro asked he not be killed [As this seems slightly random- because he's hardly that big a name and Hasbro weren't really doing anything with him at the time- I suspect it's simply the case of him being a favourite character of whoever made that decision].
Huh, I had expected that Hasbro veto'd either Perceptor or Kup because they had toys out at that time, IDW to veto Kup because they wanted to kill him off in Infestation, and the writers to veto Springer because they pussied out at the end in order to have Springer appear elsewhere.

Though I suppose Hasbro intervened when they were about to release issue 5, which is why Springer seemed to, for all intents and purposes, die until it's revealed at the last or second-to-last page that, hey, he survives but is injured.

Quote:
And, as Roche put it "Then Abnett and Lanning killed him. And I drew it!".

Poor Roche.

Old 2013-08-15, 10:55 PM   #27
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I totally related to the violent Nascar parody dudes in the third film after reading LSOTW. Great job!
As with a lot of Hasbro decisions ("We need to promote the computer game design toys in the comics! Even though the computer games by themselves reach a wider audience, and an audience more likely to include boys of toy buying age, than the G1 comics ever will!) it does seem a bit bonkers.

We should probably be glad IDW actually embraced the idea wholeheartedly and went to their one writer at the time (allowing Furman had "Gone away" at that point and Roberts wasn't onboard yet) in Roche who really, really, really loved Wreckers.

Quote:
Huh, I had expected that Hasbro veto'd either Perceptor or Kup because they had toys out at that time, IDW to veto Kup because they wanted to kill him off in Infestation, and the writers to veto Springer because they pussied out at the end in order to have Springer appear elsewhere.
Yup, like an M. Night Shillyman twist, it subverted my expectations as well.

Quote:
Though I suppose Hasbro intervened when they were about to release issue 5, which is why Springer seemed to, for all intents and purposes, die until it's revealed at the last or second-to-last page that, hey, he survives but is injured.

I think it was earlier than that they knew Springer had to live, but equally it was after they decided the final would be at the point the plot hinged on Ironfist and Impactor (who seems never to have been destined to die even though his status as a "Non-proper" character who is most famous for dying should have made him very obvious based on most of the logic I've used to work out who was doomed) being the last two Autobots present.

I think it's been well documented, but if Kup had died, Guzzle would have killed him. So presumably the thinking there was "OK, we've set up the Guzzle/Kup thing, we may not have paid it off now, but at least it can be revisited in future".

And then Infestation happened.

I do feel kind of glad Perceptor wasn't killed, because, as the authors pointed out on the Friday:

Out of all the Wreckers in Last Stand, he's the only one who goes through no changes and no big major character moments. He has cool bits (hanging upside down shooting) but from his point of view he's the character for whom it's the closest to just being another day at the office in terms of how the events impact on him.

And in terms of how seriously Roche and Roberts tried to make sure every character got their moments, they really, really tried hard to make sure Rotorstorm got as much character as possible in the back end of issue two because they knew he was doomed at the start of the third issue.

Another interesting thing they said (which I don't necessarily agree with) is, if Wreckers was being written now, both authors would try and get to Garrus 9 in the present day, much, much quicker than the end of issue 2.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2013-08-15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2013-08-16, 09:42 AM   #28
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

I'm really glad that non-toy famous-for-dying Impactor was the one guy always destined not to die. I'd imagine most readers were waiting expectantly for his demise in each new issue, so very glad it turned out like it did.

I do feel we was robbed on the Kup & Guzzle front though. One of the few moments where you'd see someone bitchslapping their hero and it got snatched away. It always irked me that in the big pan-away shots of the final scene with Overlord in flames that we couldn't see Kup, Guzzle, Springer and Impactor lying about the place.

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2013-08-16 at 01:23 PM.
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 12:12 PM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The Underbase chaps have put up the Overlord panel from the Friday as a podcast. Be warned, it was a fairly visual panel (as they go through issue 2 of LSOTW page by page) but there's still lots of interesting stuff in there:

http://theunderbase.libsyn.com/the-u...-deconstructed

Old 2013-08-19, 05:34 PM   #30
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

How much of James Roberts whispering softly into your ear can you handle? Another AA recorded Podcast, this time courtesy of The Old Oil House:

http://oldoilhouse.libsyn.com/lock-i...-james-roberts

Stuff learnt:

Drift and Rodimus were the only characters presented to Roberts at the start of the series. Roberts felt he could only really write Drift by... altering his personality a fair bit and was glad the end of Chaos allowed that.

Rodimus' character is born of Mike Costa not really giving much of a good reason for him to change his name or making much of him carrying the Matrix. He's basically sort of fallen into a hero/leader position without having earned it [almost as if he'd previously been in a badly written comic].

They're at least thinking of including the UKG2 issues in the last UK Classics book. And IDW will be reprinting the main American G2 series (one nice big chunky paperback with Ghosts as well please).

They at least semi-seriously thought of having Swerve "Narrate" the recap that opens each issue.

Old 2013-08-19, 06:16 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Would work for me.

Best place for the UK G2 stuff, but very much hoping for a nice complete US G2 and other stuff hardback on good paper.

Slightly lost track of which ones I've listened to... don't normally bother with audio stuff, but there's actual content in these. Very cool that AA agreed to have the Friday session posted.

edit:

Quote:
[So they've already run out of actually words ending in "Acy"?]
Nah, primacy is a perfectly cromulent word.

Last edited by Denyer; 2013-08-20 at 07:25 AM.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 10:45 AM   #32
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I took two things from listening to that Overlord one (with my copy of LSotW on my lap, so I could keep up with the panels). One: James Roberts has the exact same voice as James Blunt. Two: Nick Roche sure does draw a weird Verity face.

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 03:43 PM   #33
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Best place for the UK G2 stuff, but very much hoping for a nice complete US G2 and other stuff hardback on good paper.
Hardback would be nice, but I'm guessing it'll be a final volume in the American paperback series designed to match the rest of them (which is fair enough for folks collecting those books).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhayes View Post
I took two things from listening to that Overlord one (with my copy of LSotW on my lap, so I could keep up with the panels). One: James Roberts has the exact same voice as James Blunt. Two: Nick Roche sure does draw a weird Verity face.

Ah, you've found Roberts' deep dark secret.

Old 2013-08-21, 12:40 PM   #34
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
They're at least thinking of including the UKG2 issues in the last UK Classics book.
Hopefully they get any potential rights issues ironed out so we can have decent copies of these.

As IDW have rights to the Transformers comics, obviously Fleetway/Egmont (the original publishers) are themselves unable to exploit the material for profit. This makes me hopeful they'll allow IDW to publish this stuff without too much haggling over a fee!

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 02:16 PM   #35
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I shouldn't think it'll be a problem - Rebellion (now owners of the Fleetway/Egmont stuff) have licensed Dredd for a run of IDW comics. I'm sure IDW will have worked out some agreement for anything else of interest.

Old 2013-08-21, 06:51 PM   #36
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Do Rebellion own all the Fleetway stuff? I thought they'd just brought the rights to 2000 AD (though that's based on possibly hazy memories on the Big Finish CD that promoted the launch of their series, IIRC the head of Rebellion said Fleetway were glad to see the back of Tharg and company because they'd never really known what to do with it amongst their more kiddy-friendly titles).

Though as I understand it, IDW have the rights to reprint virtually all old Transformers comics automatically, bar those with characters owned by the original company (Spider-Man and so on) and where they still have a liscence themselves. So the Saga of the Allspark thing would have had to be done via a deal with Titan but most of the original comics reprints don't have any involvement from Marvel at all. That's why it's usual for the Marvel logo to be removed from covers as that's something IDW would have to pay for.

Old 2013-08-22, 07:03 AM   #37
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

whoops! you are right. I'd wrongly assumed Egmont had got out of comics altogether, but they still do nursery titles like Fireman Sam.

Would Egmont have any rights to withhold release of the old UK G2 stuff? i always find this stuff a little confusing, becasue they own the artwork but it was produced for a licensed title and that stuff tends to fall into the catch-all ownership of the licensor. I would think the question would more likely be - do they still have it? (well, i'm guessing they must if IDW have announced they will reprint it) Or are we relying on scans of the comics?

Old 2013-08-22, 08:31 PM   #38
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

As I understand it all the reprints are done from scans, even the Titan ones despite their good relations with Marvel (at the time Furman was having to hunt down issues of Headmasters on Ebay).

This applies to IDW's Dreamwave reprints as well, the Armada and TF/GI Joe stuff both show signs of not especially brilliant scanning.

Old 2013-08-23, 03:22 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

And yet another Podcast recorded at the convention, this time James Roberts and Alex Milne talk through Shadowplay (recorded right at the end of the convention when everyone was a bit tired and nuts. Ironfist gets called Ironhide at least twice, but it's full of juicy information):

http://theunderbase.libsyn.com/the-u...cts-shadowplay