• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2014-02-15, 11:29 PM   #121
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Random bits of commentary:
Jetfire looks quite nice, though something about the jet mode makes it look strange to me. And I can tolerate the cockpit cheat
Roadbuster looks farily sweet
Windblade... Definitely not sold on it yet. Something seemed off about the proportions, though that may have been camera angle in the pics I looked at. My first thought on the jet mode was 'Looks like something that fell out of G2' and I'm not sure why

Can't complain about another crack at MP Grimlock, missed it the first time 'round. I'm a little disappointed about the lack of mention of the MP 84 cars or how they might get MP Ratbat out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Death's Head
What? Where?

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 06:52 AM   #123
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony

I'll probably get three Dinobots, Hound and 60's Bumblebee, if that's and indication of what I currently think of AoE.

Generations... Meh. Sky-Byte's cool, and Windblade's not shabby, but Tankor looks dreadfully generic for a Beast Machines character (I would get a Hardhead retool though). Everyone else is, eh....

Kungfu Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 09:51 AM   #124
Springer85
Unicron

All your base

I'm really liking Jetfire, but the cockpit on the bottom looks a bit weird to me and since I already have the classics version I think I'll pass.

Roadbuster looks great, but needs Whirl and if I can't get my hands on a Whirl I'm not getting Roadbuster either.

Nightbeat is a Bumblebee repaint, right? Head looks great, but I'm not a fan of the mould.

Springer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 10:42 AM   #125
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I like a lot of the Generations Age of Extinction figures. I'll pick up a few if I can afford it at the time - Leader Grimlock looks cool, as does Voyager Galvatron for sure. I like the snub-nose Prime, but it's terribly lacking in paint applications - perhaps Takara will do better? The Deluxes look ok, but I'd need to see them in person. Which is a question - will those of us in the UK ever get to see the AoE Generations figures on shelves? Or will we just end up with the child-targeted Robots in Disguise figures?

I'm liking the Classics-style figures too - particularly Leader Jetfire (although he does seem unnecessary with the already excellent Voyager figure from years ago), Voyager Sky-Byte and Voyager Roadbuster. Not too into any of the Deluxes though.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 11:05 AM   #126
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
I like a lot of the Generations Age of Extinction figures. I'll pick up a few if I can afford it at the time - Leader Grimlock looks cool, as does Voyager Galvatron for sure. I like the snub-nose Prime, but it's terribly lacking in paint applications - perhaps Takara will do better? The Deluxes look ok, but I'd need to see them in person. Which is a question - will those of us in the UK ever get to see the AoE Generations figures on shelves? Or will we just end up with the child-targeted Robots in Disguise figures?

I'm liking the Classics-style figures too - particularly Leader Jetfire (although he does seem unnecessary with the already excellent Voyager figure from years ago), Voyager Sky-Byte and Voyager Roadbuster. Not too into any of the Deluxes though.
At first I was about to say "why not, they are movie figures" but then I thought just a tad harder and came to the conclusion that for retailers, the listings will probably be under generations.

Having cooled down a bit from last night, I can add Strafe to my list of toys that I'd like to get.

Strafe, the cars obviously, and the voyager trucks and Hound.

Is it just me or does Galvatron look...uber generic? It's like somebody designed a stand-alone, morphless robot, and then decided to tack on a truck as an alt. mode.

Nice to see that after 7 years, the primary complaint about movie designs is finally addressed: these look extremely human-like. Hound, Drift and Crosshairs are almost alarmingly guilty of not looking like they transform into anything in the cgi shots

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I hope you guys like rubber plastic, because I sincerely doubt all those spikes and fins on the dinobots will be regular plastic

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 12:33 PM   #127
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Is it just me or does Galvatron look...uber generic? It's like somebody designed a stand-alone, morphless robot, and then decided to tack on a truck as an alt. mode.

WFC Megatron is uber generic too, didn't stop anyone salivating over *that* one.

Quote:
Nice to see that after 7 years, the primary complaint about movie designs is finally addressed: these look extremely human-like. Hound, Drift and Crosshairs are almost alarmingly guilty of not looking like they transform into anything in the cgi shots

I'm just glad they don't look like Jersey Shore muppets lol.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, by the way, I hope you guys like rubber plastic, because I sincerely doubt all those spikes and fins on the dinobots will be regular plastic
Can't be worse than Dreadwing, can it?

Seems like only leader Grimlock has significant amount of it. Maybe Slug too, wait and see at this point.

Kungfu Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 06:53 PM   #128
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Also hero mashers... kind of Actionmaster-y...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...images-179311/

Nightbeat's not bad, nor is Roadbuster. Windblade actually looks a bit better than the IDW cover art.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 09:26 PM   #129
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
I'm liking the Classics-style figures too - particularly Leader Jetfire (although he does seem unnecessary with the already excellent Voyager figure from years ago),
The problem is that, at eight years old, the first Classics Jetfire came out before all the success of the movies. If they reissue the first toy, it won't appeal to people that have been here long enough to have it from back when. If they make a new toy, it'll be a tough sale to people that already have the first one and alienate more by creating a perception that they double-dip (they do). And if they do neither, they leave all the people that have wandered in since 2007 paying secondary market prices (I assume a sealed Classics Jetfire would be pricey now?).

Really, it's kind of screwy no matter what option is chosen. As scary as it sounds, the first run of Classics toys was eight years ago now and on the other side of the film franchise, so effectively the market for new or reissued Classics/Generations/Universe/whatever figures is starting to open up.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 10:16 PM   #130
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The problem is that, at eight years old, the first Classics Jetfire came out before all the success of the movies. If they reissue the first toy, it won't appeal to people that have been here long enough to have it from back when. If they make a new toy, it'll be a tough sale to people that already have the first one and alienate more by creating a perception that they double-dip (they do). And if they do neither, they leave all the people that have wandered in since 2007 paying secondary market prices (I assume a sealed Classics Jetfire would be pricey now?).

Really, it's kind of screwy no matter what option is chosen. As scary as it sounds, the first run of Classics toys was eight years ago now and on the other side of the film franchise, so effectively the market for new or reissued Classics/Generations/Universe/whatever figures is starting to open up.
I'm one of those people. I've managed to snag pieces here and there when I could and that I wanted, but getting a hold of some are a PITA. Lets be honest with ourselves, 8 years is a long time in terms of engineering. Classics Prowl looks rather dated next to, say, Jazz. Hot Rod looks downright blocky and clumsy next to Kup and Blurr. Galvatron is a mess next to Scourge (although there is nothing wrong with Cyclonus). The IDW Megatron is the first half way decent Megatron so far (although the NERF gun one scores points for creative insanity). There is plenty of room to go back and revise older figures and fill in gaps they missed the first time around.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 11:21 AM   #131
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
There is plenty of room to go back and revise older figures and fill in gaps they missed the first time around.
I totally agree - but I would have started with G1 Optimus Prime and a decent version of G1 or G2 Megatron.

I've really been wanting a Classics-style Optimus Prime to lead my Classics-style figures for a long time. I never picked up the original version, and I really don't know why. Other than the fact I had very little money and so plumped for the Ultra Magnus version of the mould (mainly because I wanted Skywarp, but it all worked out well with the excellent City Commander armour).

And my Classics-style Decepticons are led by either Botcon Clench or TFCC Scourge. It would be nice to have a decent Megatron I can connect with.

So, yeah, all for revisiting the Classics characters, but just confused by a Leader Jetfire is all.

(Although I'll do my best to buy him if I can afford it!)

Old 2014-02-17, 12:43 PM   #132
Blackjack
Micromaster

ROADBUSTERRRRRR!

Damn, this year will be a mainly Voyager-filled purchase. Roadbuster, Whirl and Rhinox are all excellent moulds this line is doing, and Sky-Byte looks great as well... will probably pass on Sky-Byte though since I can't really justify the space. Pity since he looks really, really good.

The retooled Jhiaxus looks better, but he's still a homage to the Universe instead of the G2 so I still don't want him. Nightbeat has changed moulds and is miles better, but for me personally he's still in the 'maybe buy' category. Windblade looks a lot, lot better than the promotional art Hasbro was waving months ago, and kabuki face aside, I might be interested in getting her. After all, I got Drift before liking Drift was cool.

Legends class Acid Storm and Gears... expected, not particularly excited beyond the fact that Acid Storm is kinda showing up everywhere and it's glorious.

Leader Jetfire... yeah, I don't really... care? I mean, I know there are a lot of JetSkyfire fans out there, but I personally don't find Jetfire that desirable. Great that they're making a Leader class figure out of him and it looks supremely wonderful, but it's an easy pass for me.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 03:22 PM   #133
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I'm not sure what I make of Roadbuster. I was looking forward to him, seeing as this would be the most likely version of the character I'd go for, but he looks like a flipping Constructabot I wish he looked a little closer to the G1 toy - like Whirl did. Perhaps he comes over better in the flesh. Hmmm. Leader Jetfire on the other hand, looks very impressive and much more refined than the '06 Voyager figure. Wont be one I'll be picking up though as the Bandai sourced original is still bloody ace and does it for me.

As for everything else, not especially bothered. And probably a good job too as no doubt the majority of this stuff will fail to make it to the UK. Prime has been something of a shelf warmer here in the UK , Beast Hunters especially so, and given the market's trend towards smaller and cheaper figures it'll be interesting to see what retailers plump for.

I suspect that TRU, being the only retailer to carry Generations in the UK will be more likely to plump for the Generations Movie guys, given that they will have the huge advertisement of the film.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 05:06 PM   #134
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Never one to pick up much Movie-verse items, the AoE toys look neat, but I'm not fussed to pick up any of them. Is it just me, or does Leader Grimlock look oddly proportioned in T-Rex mode? Maybe the torso is too long?

The Generations figs are much more up my alley - good thing I don't have a soft spot for any of the characters coming out. A lot of those will come down to money in my pocket or not. If I did bite, I'd only be interested in Whirl, Roadbuster, Jhiaxus, or Nightbeat. Jetfire looks really good, but I still have much love for my Classics Voyager one. Going to be a nice easy year on the old wallet!

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 05:19 PM   #135
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I suspect that TRU, being the only retailer to carry Generations in the UK will be more likely to plump for the Generations Movie guys, given that they will have the huge advertisement of the film.
Not sure if they'd have the ability to pick and choose between the two, actually. I got the impression that the movie toys would just be a couple waves' worth of product from the ongoing Generations line rather than a separate assortment of their own, and most retailers aren't equipped to worry about which wave of a line they're ordering. If they check off the "Generations" box to get the Movie stuff, and it sells well enough to get them to restock, you would hopefully see the G1 guys later.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 05:23 PM   #136
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
If they check off the "Generations" box to get the Movie stuff, and it sells well enough to get them to restock, you would hopefully see the G1 guys later.
Pretty sure that's what happened with the Classics stuff where I lived back in 2006 - Cybertron ended and the shelves started sporting a mix of Cybertron and Classics figures on the same pegs. But that was Dumfries & Galloway...

I've been very disappointed by the lack of much Generations stuff in the UK. Even my nearest TRU has very little - lots of Orion Pax and IDW Megatron shelf-warming the Deluxe pegs, and FoC Grimlock and Soundwave shelf-warming the Voyagers. Plus loads of those rubbish FoC cassettes.

I'll probably not risk waiting - if I have the money available I'll try and get Generations AoE and Classics stuff from the US this year.

Old 2014-02-17, 07:30 PM   #137
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Like it or not, the first Jetfire figure was designed and released around 2006...8 years ago.

There are many flaws with that figure, evident both back then and even more now.

Hands that do nothing in jet mode [no hiding place]
Head looks undersized/oversized depending on if the helmet is on or off.

But the biggest, glaring issue is the legs. Those CL Astrotrain legs that only ratchet sideways, bend at the oddest angle at the hip and the split away nozzles for feet.

I've been able to pose mine just fine, but it's more limiting than it should.

Though I agree on all ends that there's more big brutes in the franchise deserving of a LDR figure than Jetfire, the end result isn't too shabby looking.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 11:28 PM   #138
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post

Though I agree on all ends that there's more big brutes in the franchise deserving of a LDR figure than Jetfire, the end result isn't too shabby looking.
Consider this; In the G1 cartoon Jetfire was huge. Starscream came up to what, his sternum on average? He towered over other characters. Having a Leader class Jetfire kinda makes sense.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 02:37 AM   #139
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Unhappy

I'm still waiting for a leader movie Bonecrusher

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 06:04 AM   #140
Blackjack
Micromaster

Red face