• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2014-04-13, 09:08 AM   #201
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

He's just a different flavour of Bumblebee though ... although an awesome one that puts the G1 version firmly in the shade

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 01:56 PM   #202
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

TFW is also running a "Transformers at 30" series. Neat summaries and nice to see original era figures in context with each other rather than just striped out over huge shelves.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...eneration-1-1/ --

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-1984-179577/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-1985-179595/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-1986-179591/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-1987-179592/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-1988-179593/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-1989-179594/

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 03:47 PM   #203
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

I saw that! Way more exhaustive and factual than the stuff we've done, though, which is nice. It makes for interesting reading instead of just feeling like a repeat of stuff that we've already read over here.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 08:35 PM   #204
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Yeap, very nice stuff. Presumably they'll be a lot more similar stuff on other sites as the year goes on, if anyone comes across something anniversary-ish they find interesting do feel free to share it here.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 06:21 PM   #205
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Probably none of the above in anyone else's opinion, but my ballot ran to...

Repugnus
Repugnus belongs to the cadre of Transformers characters that never got to be more than interesting profiles back in the day, and whose best characterisation is still probably being a spark in a box on Garrus 9 for crimes as-yet unspecified in IDW continuity. Even as a kid I liked the idea that the Autobots -- presumably the ones on Cybertron operating under Xaaron -- could be expedient when necessary. The toy is... basically a Fisher Price insect monster.

Sideswipe
Cool alt-mode and toy, reckless to a fault and a bit of a cypher in the comics until G2, Sideswipe was long gone from the shelves by the time I got into Transformers. Fortunately in Europe he put in another appearance as an Actionmaster -- which used to be regarded as anathema by the fandom at large, but have been reassessed as fun and accurate representations of characters. I had lots of fun with that figure, and it can't be over-estimated what having the toys as a kid adds to appreciation.

Grimlock
Despite being overused by Furman in modern comics and being an easy target for parody, Grimlock has a fantastic original toy and characterisation in Marvel UK / US G2 to match. Robot dinosaurs combine two things kids love, it really is that simple.

Slag
I'm all-in for the sociopaths and rebels, particularly when they they have cool alt-modes. Ceratopsians are every bit as iconic as tyrannosaurids -- add a flamethrower and a name that's both a cockney insult and a perfectly logical verb for use of that flamethrower, and Slag's easily my favourite Dinobot after Grimlock.

Prowl
It's taken Nick Roche and James Roberts to really bring out the machiavellian -ahem- logical conclusion of Prowl's original characterisation, but even before then butting heads with Grimlock was a great match for the Autobot strategist.

Emirate Xaaron
Although not a combatant and never seen to transform, Xaaron represented the political and tactical leadership Cybertron had to have had to have survived an even moderately competent Decepticon threat over millions of years. He gets some snarky characterisation in the UK Marvel title before being brought over by Furman when he started work on the US one, and sacrificed to make Optimus wonder how much of a bastard Primus was. Not a bad showing.

Ravage
Beyond being a laconic robot jaguar with a pocket-friendly "second" alt-mode (I know, the jaguar is the robot mode, but as a kid the distinctions seemed more blurry) Ravage gets to be there at the death of civilisation in the classic UK annual strip, State Games.

Perceptor
Perceptor gets chosen as "science guy" over Wheeljack or Brainstorm because of the polysyllabics gimmick and a starring role in Transformers: the Movie that also gave him a neat line in understatement. He's not quite in William Harper Littlejohn territory, but enough to appeal to any youngster that views an occasional dip into the dictionary as added interest rather than intimidating.

Metroplex
Metroplex is probably more regarded as a last line of defence for the Autobots n the UK than Omega Supreme, due to the other big guy not getting a formal release here. An appearance in Space Pirates didn't hurt, either.

Computron
Okay, so this is more a vote for the Technobots than Computronů a team of maniacs, warriors and one daydreamer that combine to become incongruously smart. One of the rare instances in which cartoon characterisation beat the comic because Budiansky had apparently reached the not-giving-a-**** stage of writing profiles with exaggerated and debilitating weaknesses. Although it's not as bad as Broadside's. Still, Computron has potential if you use a bit of imagination.

Rack 'n' Ruin
Rack'n'Ruin remain a taciturn mystery, which allows the reader to fill in the blanks and is frankly a whole lot more interesting than spelling out how they got stitched together or getting to know them. Their design is far more ABC Warriors than Transformers, and at the time non-transforming characters were also a bit of a novelty.

Soundwave
Like a lot of my choices, Soundwave gets included by virtue of his UK comics characterisation, particularly #275 "Secrets" in which he stitches up Wildrider and gets him executed. But he did well in most mediums; particularly memorable tech spec and motto, great toy and gimmick with the cassettes, a classic Frank Welker voice, and a head sculpt with a remarkable similarity to the Decepticon logo. Whether as the power behind the throne or an early instance of particularly adult concepts (blackmailer and voyeur if not actual torturer) in a franchise aimed at kids, Soundwave is badass, and thirty years of more usually standing behind Megatron can't dampen that.

Bludgeon
Mostly due to the whole skull-faced samurai thing -- although also one of the more successful Decepticon leaders.

Jazz
Do it with style or don't bother doing it. Words to live by.

Skullcruncher
Skullcruncher is a cannibalistic serial murderer. Not to be confused with Barney.

Slog
Makes art out of corpses. Another kid-friendly techspec triumph.

Nightbeat
I'd just typed "UK comics reasons" and was going to leave it at thatů but really, as much of my appreciation of Nightbeat is due to him being a point-of-view character in Eugenesis.

Springer
Toys, movie and the recent comics don't hurt.

Rung
Everybody's favourite James Roberts self-insert character.

Chromedome
IDW comics reasons.

Impactor
UK comics reasons.

Death's Head
UK comics reasons, yes?

Dead End
Morose bastard #1.

Dreadwind
Morose bastard #2.

Catilla
I just like the toy.

Brawl
I just like the toy.

Axer
I just like the toy.

Browning
I just like the toy.

Megatron
G2 mostly.

Optimus Prime
G2 mostly.
Cool. Thanks for posting your picks. Very interesting reading. And you chose "me"! Even I didn't choose "me"! Plus, it appears we both have a hankerin' for sad sack Dead End. I can't help but hear him as Marvin from Hitchhikers.

I wish I'd been more organised and saved my list. Anyone else want to share their TF passions?

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 06:34 PM   #206
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

I think I forgot who I voted for and why I voted for them almost immediately. As you can see from the couple that were quoted from though, most of my comments were of the "no idea what to say" variety.

Quote:
I really enjoyed this as well, although it is a shame that no new characters that have been devised this century have made much impact (I did expect Knock Out from Prime to have made the cut).
To all intents and purposes Swerve is a new character (did anyone vote for him because of Five Faces of Darkness?), but yeah, he and Bumblebee are the only slim pickings for the new boys.

Don't anyone tell Denyer this but:

SPOILER! (select to read)
I think anyone who voted for someone because they liked the toy may have missed the point.

Oh hell, he's going to ban me, or worse, now isn't he?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 09:40 PM   #207
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek
I think anyone who voted for someone because they liked the toy may have missed the point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_(literary_theory)

Imagination and engineering have been at least as much to blame for me coming back this many years as anything written in words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack 'n Ruin View Post
I wish I'd been more organised and saved my list.
Apostrophes got eaten by the form validation, but here goes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack 'n Ruin

Optimus Prime
The ultimate hero (cape optional). Own up.. hes why were here in the first place.

G1 comic Ultra Magnus
Hard. As. Nails.

G1 Ratchet (both comic and IDW MTMTE)
Just love this guy for so many reasons I cant list them all, but A (comic) taking on Megatron with the Dinobots and saving all the other Autobots, and B (MTMTE) Being a grumpy old atheist bstard who shot Overlord in the face. In. The. Face.

G1 Jazz
Because hes cool, alright So uncool he is deeply cool. And he likes to kill humans. And kidnap children. And be brainwashed.

G1 Shockwave
Because logically he HAS to be in.

G1 Prowl
Flips table Because logically he HAS to be in too.

G1 Soundwave
The most successful (and cool) Decepticon leader of all time. Has some neat toys in his chest too, if you hadnt heard.

G1 comic Blaster
I AM BATMAN.

Bumblebee Goldbug
Bit of a cheat, but two in one here. Bumblebee makes the cut for some good work in both the comics and the live action movies. Goldbug allows us to see other sides to Bees personality.

G1 Galvatron
Mad as a ping pong ball made of custard, yet still a hugely scary threat. Never, ever dull.

G1 Cyclonus
Makes being a con (or not) look good. Plus singing with Tailgate.

Starscream
Actually kind of a pathetically sympathetic character, really.

G1 Grimlock
GRIMLOCK... SMASH

G1 comic Swoop
The Dinobot with the most fleshed out character, for me.

G1 Bay movie Ironhide
Just because.

G1 comic Impactor
...a wily old buzzard. Died TWICE to save the day. Also purple Autobot

G1 Mirage
It was... full

G1 Swindle
Didnt want to include him, but he bribed me.

G1 Bombshell
Didnt want to include him, but... who am I again Vooooote fooooor Booombsheeeeelllllll...........

G1 Megatron
Had it in him to be complex and interesting. IDW are doing some interesting stuff with him, off and on.

G1 Scrounge
Had a very special arm, and (dare I say it) a very special heart. Weep.

G1 comic Scorponok
A Decepticon leader who sees the bigger picture (eventually).

G1 Sunstreaker
Because this list needed to look good, and he makes anything look good. He told me.

IDW MTMTE Chromedome
Blimey, an actual Transformers character. Has now worked out how to say Pffft. Messed with Prowls head when his back was turned. Secretly a fan of Freddy Krueger.

IDW MTMTE Whirl
Whirl is UNVINCIBLE Deal with it

G1 Wheeljack
Because Mechanical Engineers are awesome. )

IDW MTMTE Rodimus
Because leaders can suck.

G1 Silverbolt
Because being a leader can suck.

IDW Overlord
Because he is a very, very, very bad man.

Deaths Head
Best non-Transformer character ever, yes

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 05:47 AM   #208
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK
Talking

Cheers, Denyer! That's brilliant.

Looks like I swapped G1 Dead End out for IDW Overlord at the last moment. Should've dropped Silverbolt, in hindsight.

Death's Head would've been a lot higher, but it felt a bit wrong putting a non-TF above TFs in an anniversary poll...

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2014-04-15, 01:18 PM   #209
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

I've never understood the fascination with Silverbolt. The only distinguishing features he had were a fear of heights and cartoon lips, and that's only just distinguishing over a bunch of identikit characters in the background. Is it just the name?

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 04:00 PM   #210
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

It is quite a cool name! I guess I find it interesting that he is a reluctant leader who struggles with his responsibility as well as his own personal demons (the fear of heights thing). I had his toy too. It had a cool gun and gold chrome.

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2014-04-15, 06:58 PM   #211
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack 'n Ruin View Post
I guess I find it interesting that he is a reluctant leader who struggles with his responsibility as well as his own personal demons.
But angsty Prime filled that quota! I dunno, maybe I've just got a beef against Silverbolt because my mate had him and I was a bit jealous...

Old 2014-04-15, 07:14 PM   #212
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
But angsty Prime filled that quota! I dunno, maybe I've just got a beef against Silverbolt because my mate had him and I was a bit jealous...
Gold chrome'll do that to ya.

I too got all the Aerialbots in the gift set (the only Special Team I completed like that). However, I never had the Dinobots as a kid (bar Pretender Grimlock, who clearly doesn't count!), so I don't think we knew each other.

On a side note, the absolute most satisfying Special Team to complete for me was the Combaticons. I could not find Blast Off anywhere, and for a long, long time it appeared that Bruticus would be unable to play the piano to concert standard. Than I found him in a small toy shop in the wilds of Lowestoft, of all places. Never has a boy been happier!

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2014-04-15, 07:34 PM   #213
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Now that is a very cool story. God bless small toy shops (and they've got such a special quality about them).

But how did you get the Aerialbots gift set? I didn't think those sets were available in the UK, we had to buy our Gestalt members separately. Unless you had a relative from America or somewhere who brought it over with them.

Incidentally who was your favourite Aerialbot toy? I kinda liked Slingshot because he had weird arms/hands, and his wings were unique, but I loved good old Fireflight.

Old 2014-04-15, 08:15 PM   #214
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Not too sure how my parents came across it. I was a very na´ve 8 (I guess) year old, and wasn't really into which shops stocked what. Maybe the glory that was Woolies?

Hmm, my favourite Aerialbot? Well, I think you and I would have had few arguments had we played together, as I always favoured Air Raid and Skydive. Two limbs each! I think I preferred the black and grey decos because they looked "more realistic". Air Raid got points for being a black F15 (I mean, how cool?), while Skydive was the perhaps even cooler F16, AND he had lightning bolts on his wings. Score!

Nowadays I have a lot more time for Slingshot. I mean, the Harrier is an engineering marvel. That and Concorde are truly iconic designs. It's just a shame Slingshot is a bit of a dick...

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2014-04-15, 08:25 PM   #215
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Pfft, you old fogies. The G2 Aerialbots are where it's at! Skydive and Air Raid had comic-accurate blue parts, Fireflight had a wicked flame deco on his wings and Slingshot was gorgeous gold (was being the operative word in Slingshot's case, stupid GPS...)

Your Silverbolt was better than mine though, I'll give you that!

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 08:34 PM   #216
MikeB
Not a real Brummie

Solihull, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post

But how did you get the Aerialbots gift set? I didn't think those sets were available in the UK, we had to buy our Gestalt members separately.
You're forgetting the wondrous Aladdin's cave (or rather catalogue) of Argos. 11 months of pocket money went on that set one summer holiday...

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 08:39 PM   #217
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK

Damn, I didn't know that! Never ever saw them as a box set opportunity in Argos catalogues. And would loiter in Woolies and a big Tesco checking out all their TF's.

Not even in the funky little independent toy shop did I ever see such boxsets, and that shop was smart enough to group the new Headmasters and Targetmasters range together just to really push kids over the edge of hype. With that fancy new slightly techno-colouring that screamed NEEEEW TOY GENERATION!! Clearly much more better than the stuff that's five minutes older!

Old 2014-04-15, 10:29 PM   #218
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

IIRC, both the Stunticon and Aerialbot giftsets made to some larger department centres in the UK. The Schofield Centre in Leeds had them, back in the day.

On the subject of groovy little toy shops, all my G2 toys came from a cracking little shop in Horsforth called Spider Pie (sadly long gone).

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 12:10 PM   #219
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

A belated WELL DONE for everybody's fine work and entertaining output. Was hanging on every batch and reveal.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote