• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-06-29, 01:53 PM   #1
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #31

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #31 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 31 pg1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	10218   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 31 pg2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	10219   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 31 pg3.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	10220  
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 02:03 PM   #2
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Presumably shanix are non-replicatable currency akin to latinum then.

Which doesn't explain why Autobots don't leverage that resource more in wartime...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 02:11 PM   #3
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post

Which doesn't explain why Autobots don't leverage that resource more in wartime...
Well, they did pay Black Shadow half a billion to destroy a bunch of war worlds, so I'd say they were put to some use

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 02:28 PM   #4
zigzagger

"Don't make me put my foot down" -- Am I reading too much into this, or is that a callback to Pipes' death?

Damn, Roberts, that's cold.

....But, also kind of funny. In a darkly humorous way.

Old 2014-06-29, 06:51 PM   #5
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post

I'd say more like bitcoin, with a block-chain to prevent fraud, rather than a physical currency.

This is surely James's next step, after giving us believable Cybertronian culture, biology and history - their economy!

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 08:09 PM   #6
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Would be good to see something. The subject's tended to be a gaping void -- although so has Cybertronian culture in most forms -- unless a writer fancies a quick mercenary pay-off type storyline.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 09:18 PM   #7
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Yeah, my bitcoin theory falls down when you recall the large case of gold dubloons coins that Rodimus offered Death's Head in Headhunt...

SMITH
Old 2014-07-07, 09:33 PM   #8
zigzagger

Smile Full Preview!

And here's the 5-page preview, courtesy of Issuu.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTMTE 31 Page 4.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	10228   Click image for larger version

Name:	MTMTE 31 Page 5.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	10229  
Old 2014-07-08, 11:01 AM   #9
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Not loving that art too much. Is ok I guess. Still, out tomorrow so thats a yay!

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 01:35 PM   #10
Blackjack
Micromaster

Someone who thinks Brainstorm is better than Perceptor? HERESY!

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 01:19 PM   #11
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON

I read this nice and early today. Thought it was great fun - definitely a bottle episode as described. I liked the Nightbeat puzzle-solving dossier structure (and the establishment that Nightbeat likes problems, not people), Tailgate pulling a gun, the Ravage reveal and the character work on Riptide and Nautica. Not quite sure what the point of the Ultra Magnus appearance was other than to establish that Megatron can recognise Verity off the bat.

Puzzling over those spark-type factoids and details such as Huffer being born again, Gears having a tiny brain, Hound being in the Primal Vanguard and Ammo being a monoformer.

As for the last page... now there's a fake-out death if ever I saw one. My guess is that it's a sister ship of the Lost Light.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 08:36 PM   #12
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Very Red Dwarf: Quarentine wasn't it? Arguably everyone turned on each other a bit quickly there (Cyclonus has gone two years without someone trying to murder him in his bed, would Huffer really turn on him that quickly?), but it still read very well and had lots and lots of nice moments for everyone.

The main flaw is the British education system stuff was very on the nose, if you're American imagine the Autobots coming across Planet Obamacare. Hopefully them arriving on Planet Offsted won't see that get much worse (especially as, unless I've really misread the demographic, I suspect most of Roberts' British readers are already onside in not liking what the current government is trying to do to schools and universities, could wind up preaching to the choir).

Are the other new arrivals who aren't on the Rod Pod now floating about in space? If whatever is doing this can separate the paint from Pharma's hands whilst leaving the hands behind it should be sensitive enough the grab the ships they're on but not them.

Come to that, shouldn't there have been a lot more stuff-not-from-the-launch left behind when the Lost Light vanished last issue? The fuel if nothing else...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 09:27 PM   #13
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The main flaw is the British education system stuff was very on the nose, if you're American imagine the Autobots coming across Planet Obamacare. Hopefully them arriving on Planet Offsted won't see that get much worse (especially as, unless I've really misread the demographic, I suspect most of Roberts' British readers are already onside in not liking what the current government is trying to do to schools and universities, could wind up preaching to the choir).
Yeah, had slipped my mind but that was a clunker. Wonder if we'll be seeing more of all that.

So much Red Dwarfy stuff - not just Quarantine but Demons & Angels and the whole premise of Season 6.

Am a bit disappointed that Cyclonus' horn was not left behind.

Oh, and the art: It's functional but not spectacular. The only part that really bugged me was that the roll call was made up of grabs of exisiting art, sometimes scaled up. Maybe since they didn't contribute to the page count, they were unpaid.

Old 2014-07-10, 02:11 AM   #14
zigzagger

Smile

Jinkies! A mystery!

And the newbies get a chance to shine. Nautica is starting to grow on me. For the time being, her 'nerd' schtick is endearing. And Nightbeat is a blast. You get the impression he was having the time of his life, in spite of the peril he and his shipmates were/are in. Megatron clearly doesn't share his passion.

Getting a better sense of who Riptide is, but... m'eh. Don't dislike the guy, just isn't doing much for me at the moment. Personality wise, he's still fairly interchangeable to me.

Lots of nifty tidbits of information. Lots. Of the world building kind. The stuff about constructed cold types was particularly fascinating (and Nautica's thought-provoking comment to Megatron about it). As was what's appearing to be leading up to a pretty interesting origin of the Lost Light. Also appreciated those little extra crumbs about crew members who generally don't get much page time, like Hound and such.

Quibbles:

Know what else there was a lot of? Typos. Kind of distracting.

Ah, still dwelling on the Kimia thing, are we? Awww, but Cyclonus has done so much good since then Mind, half the time those good deeds have gone unnoticed, which I guess is entirely the point, but, I dunno... It just rubs me the wrong way. Megatron seems like he gets less crap from the crew than Cyclonus does, and the former was recently accused of being responsible for the deaths 4.6 billion Cybertronians.

Rojo art... it didn't distract too much. May not be as dynamic as Milne, but the art serviced the story for the most part. A few off-model characters here and there. Though, ugh, I'm sorry, but Gears and Huffer looked icky.

So, when's Milne coming back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post

As for the last page... now there's a fake-out death if ever I saw one. My guess is that it's a sister ship of the Lost Light.
Oh, of course it is. Striking image, though.

Got no theories myself, but there's a fairly impressive one over at TFW 2005.

I'm not a sci-fi buff, so it all sounds plausible to me.

Old 2014-07-10, 03:45 AM   #15
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Got no theories myself, but there's a fairly impressive one over at TFW 2005.

I'm not a sci-fi buff, so it all sounds plausible to me.
Brilliant theory, seems so very plausible.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 04:51 AM   #16
zigzagger

Red face

Guess now all I need to work out is what happened to the other new-comers, like Bluestreak. Or First Aid for that matter, since he was not part of the initial launch, but joined shortly after.

On an unrelated matter: Nautica's spark is said to be 'estriol-positive'. As in Estriol? Heh... seriously?

Old 2014-07-10, 10:46 AM   #17
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Enjoyed the issue but I was quite drunk, so it will require a re-read. I'm happy to get confirmation of what I suspected regarding Forged/Constructed Cold Transformers. Art wasn't too much of a problem for me and James continues to use the comic form brilliantly.

SMITH
Old 2014-07-10, 10:47 AM   #18
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Oh, and my favourite line has to be Pipes at the beginning: "Go on, Drift, guess. I bet you can't. I bet you're rubbish."

SMITH
Old 2014-07-10, 11:59 AM   #19
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

That TFW2005 theory does seem eerily plausible. I've quite liked the whimsical Adamsian science regarding the quantum engines. The cod Schrödinger's Cat model of propulsion is inventive and charming.

I think Estriol-positive is kind of cute but it doesn't quite fit amongst the others being mineral-type words.

The made-to-order reveal was Proper Science Fiction.

EDIT: More on made-to-order: I found the fact that guys like Getaway were named after specific campaigns to be kind of horrific. And Megatron's face when it was mentioned - rage? Guilt?

Old 2014-07-10, 04:19 PM   #20
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

That is a very good theory.

Though that basically would be Demons and Angels wouldn't it?

Probably a coincidence, but this issue reminded me of the Deep Space Nine episode The Ship as well (which is pretty good company to be in).

James Roberts is so going to punch me at AA isn't he?

Quote:
Guess now all I need to work out is what happened to the other new-comers, like Bluestreak. Or First Aid for that matter, since he was not part of the initial launch, but joined shortly after.
The wiki suggests that all the other shuttles were part of the Lost Light's original compliment so when they got sucked off everyone aboard got taken with them regardless of when they joined the quest. I'm not sure about that though due to the aforementioned ability of whatever this is to separate paint from hands, that's uber sensitive stuff (and Cyclonus' horn, that might have been made from bits and bobs that had been aboard the ship the entire time as well).

Plus, I'm not sure the wiki should be speculating on plot points rather than just reporting on them...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote