• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2014-09-10, 09:37 AM   #301
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Kind of funny that both Magnus and Saber are more complex than Prime, but he is more expensive than both of them.
I wonder if there's any truth to that MP-10 reissue or if the new Asian run of the Hasbro version was it.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 03:28 PM   #302
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

So I preordered Exhaust from HLJ. Still fuzzy on what the shipping is going to cost, since they don't quote that for preorders, but based on what the cost would be for stuff that's more-or-less the same size (and what the CAD/yen exchange rate is in February), I think it'll wind up costing $40-50 less than I spent on G2 Sideswipe when I bought him post-release, which is nice. Having to wait six months for it, not so much. Hopefully he'll be worth the wait.

(I blame Knightdramon for this! How dare he frequently helpfully tell us how much cheaper it is to order the cars direct from Asia? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
I wonder if there's any truth to that MP-10 reissue or if the new Asian run of the Hasbro version was it.
The only way in the world I could see them retiring the MP-10 mold would be if they had a new Masterpiece Optimus in the works that they wanted to replace it with, and it seems a bit early for that. It might be another year or two before the next reissue happens, but the thing is a perpetual all-but-guaranteed moneymaker on either side of the Pacific. They'd be insane to mothball it.

I mean, hell, people even scalped the ugly YOTH version!

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 06:19 PM   #303
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

I believe that a lot of that retail price is on the full on [inside and out] silver trailer, which is a pretty sizeable chunk of plastic anyway.

Way too early to replace MP10 as the main Prime mould, as everything is centered around him, product wise!

Warcry, you're waiting 5-6 months because this is a preorder [that will sell out, mark my words]. But yeah, I sincerely do not see a valid reason to import twice [ie from both Japan and then from the US via BBTS or TFSource], as you'd be paying the middle man's mark up as well.

Shipping cost for me was 2200 yen or something for 2 MP cars back in October last year, EMS, to Europe.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 08:05 PM   #304
Warcry

Quote:
I believe that a lot of that retail price is on the full on [inside and out] silver trailer, which is a pretty sizeable chunk of plastic anyway.
You're probably right on that. Even setting the added weight and plastic use aside, it can't fold up or compact in any way so it makes Prime's box a lot bigger and significantly raises the cost of distribution. Magnus or Star Saber, on the other hand, might ship in combined mode in more compact packaging to save a few bucks.

(I'd imagine demand plays a big factor too.)

Personally I'd be quite happy with just the MP-10 cab robot and no trailer and hope he gets released that way one day, since I couldn't see myself ever leaving Prime in truck mode (I almost never display anything in alt-mode unless it's a BW figure or some version of Grimlock, come to think of it). I certainly haven't missed the trailer for MP Rodimus, though that might be because I'm terrified his hastily-patched shoulder will explode if I touch him...

Quote:
Warcry, you're waiting 5-6 months because this is a preorder [that will sell out, mark my words].
Oh, absolutely. I'm just used to preordering Hasbro stuff that's available a month later. The super-long lead time for Takara MPs seems like a bit much to me. But like you say, it'll sell out, so I've gotta do it now if I want to get the thing for a reasonable price (I learned my lesson from G2 Sideswipe, who I don't think I even knew about until the month before he was supposed to come out).

Quote:
But yeah, I sincerely do not see a valid reason to import twice [ie from both Japan and then from the US via BBTS or TFSource], as you'd be paying the middle man's mark up as well.
Not just that, but the middleman's markup pushes the price high enough that it'll catch Canada Customs' attention, so for me at least that's another $15-20 on top of the existing markup (the ~$50ish price from HLJ will be below the threshold where, in my experience, they usually can't be bothered). Plus the Canadian dollar/yen exchange rate has moved in a favourable direction in the last couple years. CAD/USD, not so much.

Price+shipping on this one likely works out to be marginally less than what I'd have to pay if I stopped at TRU on the way home from work to buy Prowl. Still way too much for me to want to go completest on the line like some folks have, but it definitely makes it easier to pick one up occasionally when it catches my eye.

Now if only they'd come out with that bloody Blue Bluestreak finally...

Quote:
Shipping cost for me was 2200 yen or something for 2 MP cars back in October last year, EMS, to Europe.
Not too shabby. That's in line with what I was guessing -- probably around 1600 or 1700 for a single car, very reasonable considering it's coming half-way around the world. Compared to BBTS where I think I paid $13 to ship Sideswipe and it took three weeks to get here from a place I could drive to in ten hours...

Old 2014-09-16, 08:27 PM   #305
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

The shield that was shown with Star Saber before can double as a display stand.

pics here

What this guy can do, comes with, and costs is veeeeeeeeeeeeeery generous. That's all I'll say.

Loose production samples of Wheeljack have popped up on various sites. It appears that the white in his car mode is unpainted white plastic. Hmmm.

Old 2014-09-16, 08:34 PM   #306
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

https://www.facebook.com/transbridge...21538651309523

Still a bit on the fence.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 09:04 PM   #307
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Looks good enough for me. Never a great fan of Wheeljack, but the car just stirs the same calm waters as the other cars---they just look great.

I like Bumblebee even less [stellar toys, I'm just talking character wise] but Magnus...

dear God this December will be awesome. Last time I really wanted an MP like that was MP09.

Old 2014-09-17, 02:12 PM   #308
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I'm not really interested in Star Saber - the aesthetic just doesn't gel with my other Masterpiece figures, and I have no attachment to the character.

I'm also still not feeling Ultra Magnus. I really really want to like him, but it just looks so plain for a Masterpiece figure. It may be that post-Movie characters are just not going to work for me, but perhaps I'll change my mind...

Still really excited about Wheeljack and especially Bumblebee though!

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 05:21 PM   #309
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
I'm not really interested in Star Saber - the aesthetic just doesn't gel with my other Masterpiece figures, and I have no attachment to the character.
HERETIC!

That should give you an idea of -which- Star Saber I have an attachment to...IDW one.

Headmasters Fort Max---Marvel US, IDW
Masterforce God Ginrai---Actually masterforce. I liked the show
Victory Star Saber-------IDW
Zone Dai Atlas-----IDW

If the rest are made on that list, that's which iteration I have an attachment to. Without spoiling anything, my Star Saber is not going on the Autobot leaders shelf besides a group pic when he gets here.

But yeah, the stylizing and design is much different. Please bear in mind that MP Rodimus, for all intents and purposes, looks VERY PLAIN until you start to fiddle with him

Old 2014-09-17, 05:55 PM   #310
Warcry

Quote:
But yeah, the stylizing and design is much different. Please bear in mind that MP Rodimus, for all intents and purposes, looks VERY PLAIN until you start to fiddle with him
At which point his shoulders, knees and/or leg panels all explode.

To be honest, there's such a wide variety of design styles even in the first few years of US stuff that it's part for me to say with a straight face that any MP doesn't fit in. I see it more as an issue of Takara choosing to focus on one small subset of the line (the cars) to the detriment of others rather than anything inherently amiss with Rodimus or Star Saber. If we had MPs of Shockwave, the Insecticons, Galvatron, a few Minibots, etc., Star Saber would fit right in. And we'll surely get at least some of those over the next few years, so whatever issues there are with Star Saber's look will fade over time.

Though I still have absolutely zero interest in getting him, since I have no fondness for the character at all in any of his official or unofficial incarnations.

Old 2014-09-20, 11:56 AM   #311
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

So...MP Wheeljack out, pending arrival of mine from HLJ. Shipped today.

General consensus from other fans who received theirs is that he's the best car bot yet, but I ain't believing anybody until I actually hold mine.

Movie Advanced AOE Leader Prime retool/repaint, due out in November
Does not look bad, might bite on it.

Old 2014-10-24, 09:47 PM   #312
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Red face MP-11SW

Not really all that surprising but still relevant to the discussion, is the reveal of Masterpiece Skywarp from the newer MP-11 mold.

It took 5 decos before someone got around to it (two of which were kinda headscratchers, in my opinion) but, uh, yeah... it's Skywarp. Ta-da...?

That lilac purple sure is pretty, though.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 10:40 PM   #313
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Also, they're reissuing Human Alliance Barricade and Soundwave in a boxed set that's extremely expensive. But why now?

TFSource, BBTS

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 07:41 AM   #314
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Weird - they've not bothered to even improve HA Soundwave by replacing the blue plastic with grey, which would have been easy. Haven't most (or all) of the Asia ones so far had either better paint jobs or better accessories that made them attractive and justified the price?

MP Skywarp using MP-11 mould looks nice but I'm satisfied with one giant Seeker (and that was always gonna be Starscream).

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 02:34 PM   #315
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Meh on both.

The HA two pack is something that came out of my dreams, as I was looking to get both these guys. The combined price [they are more expensive than getting the 2 individually!!!] and the fact that they didn't even bother to properly paint Soundwave this time means I'll probably pass.

MP Skywarp...I'll wait for either a hasbro or proper takara release. MP Thundercracker [hasbro] and MP11 Starscream [takara] f*cking combined were cheaper than this. I want to complete a seeker trio just as much as the next guy, but not when the company is trolling me. With how "busy", release-wise, the upcoming months are for me, a repaint of an A-tier as a C-tier just doesn't grab me as it used to.

Old 2014-11-02, 01:22 PM   #316
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

KO of MP Ratbat started being in circulation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400799394494

Denyer---if you plan on buying one, let me know, will probably want one as well but have no access to ebay. 10 pounds shipped ain't bad.

Old 2014-11-02, 02:37 PM   #317
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Twelve fifty, the exchange rate's not that good (although it's back to what it was about ten years ago, if memory serves). I think I've used the seller before but can't remember if they mark down or whether it was the same one I ordered two of a small accessory from and only one turned up.

I'm in. What's the eBay issue?

Old 2014-11-02, 02:56 PM   #318
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

My ebay was set years ago for a friend, I took over, changed the contact details...and last year when I tried to bid on something there were issues with it being linked to Greece instead of the UK.

Not much of a mind to fix it or get a new account with 0 feedback for around 1 purchase every 2 years

Let me know when you buy them and I'll Paypal you if you're up for getting another one.

Old 2014-11-02, 03:05 PM   #319
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

He's got the DX9 armour as well... let me see if I can get a reply on declared value, and will put in an order for the lot if it's positive.

edit: Okay, hopefully good to go and have ordered.

Last edited by Denyer; 2014-11-02 at 04:04 PM.
Old 2014-11-02, 06:05 PM   #320
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Awesome---assuming you got an extra bat for me, PM me with details