• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-11-13, 09:06 PM   #101
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

Chromedome still knows everything about Skids' past (issue 7 or 8), which he refused to tell Skids. However, if they're due another confrontation with the DJD would it not be worth telling him, or would it affect his fighting prowess? I'd argue that Skids is a better fighter than Magnus and maybe even be able to take Tarn on. So there must be something utterly shocking, devastating that Tarn could reveal to Skids that would stop him in his tracks.

Also, somebody in the DJD knew about the Magnus armour, so one or more of them must know Tyrest incredibly well.

And Chromedome is still being cagey about the three spots on the back of Rewind's neck, saying he's allergic to ultraviolet light (issue 13?). So he's still got that to answer for if Rewind or someone else should ask.

Oh yeah, and at the beginning of Season Two; Swerve refused to let Bluestreak on board on account of him looking like Prowl, and therefore annoying Rodimus. But they already have Smokescreen on board!

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 09:14 PM   #102
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Also, somebody in the DJD knew about the Magnus armour, so one or more of them must know Tyrest incredibly well.
Nope, that's down to Brainstorm. The ALL Autobots found out about the Magnus armour earlier than the OLL crew did, so he (or if it's a double bluff, the real traitor) was able to pass on the information when he betrayed everyone.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 09:37 PM   #103
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Oh blimey, yeah I totally forgot about that. There's a traitor aboard the Lost Light! I'm reckoning its not Brainstorm, just because nothing's ever that simple in MTMTE. Also because he has shown the tiniest soft spot for Chromedome (i.e. persuading him not to erase his memories of Rewind), and may be good mates with Highbrow, which was not made clear, it was just a comment made in Spotlight: Trailcutter. I'd actually love it for the traitor to be Chromedome. He'd have to answer to Rewind, and Brainstorm would be gutted, he would alienate himself from everyone. Whereas what's Brainstorm got to lose? He only cares about his lab.

One other question: How is Cosmos currently pulling double shifts in MTMTE and (ex) RID? The writers have made sure to know which characters are featuring in which book, seems slightly odd to make a cock-up now?

If Brainstorm can ping around in time, could First Aid convince him to save Ironfist... and Ambulon? [Edit] Perhaps not, otherwise they'd go around saving everyone who ever so much as stubbed a toe.

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2014-11-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 2014-11-13, 09:39 PM   #104
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Guys, if you're gonna make a page tarn, you gotta lead with a tarn joke.

On Skids & Domey, need to check but Domey didn't actually look into Skids full memory did he? I thought he realised how damaged it all was and how deep some of the memory work went and told Skids he recommended not to go deeper.

I could be wrong. In work at the moment so no comics to hand

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 10:01 PM   #105
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
... Domey didn't actually look into Skids full memory did he? I thought he realised how damaged it all was and how deep some of the memory work went and told Skids he recommended not to go deeper.
Tarnation, that's what I thought too! So I went back and checked. It seems that Chromedome saw everything that happened in Skids' past (the big chunk of his life missing, not just the most recent six months which has now been resolved since finding Getaway). He knew about the Empyrean Suite, and its probable link to Tarn. And Magnus is a music lover.

For a moment I wondered if Tarn may be Delta Magnus, but our Magnus is not the original Magnus.

How about this, what if Tarn is the original Ultra Magnus? That'd be a nice twist. Tyrest was handy with saving people's lives, what's to say he didn't keep the original Magnus alive, faking the death story, and warp the hell out of him with some lovely early Jhiaxian Institute shadowplay shenanigans courtesy of the lovely Chromedome?

What if that's the reason Chromedome resigned himself to a reluinquishment clinic to end it all; he'd taken a noble warrior, a figurehead and totally screwed him up?

That would link those three together. Also, Skids being super-Skids and having been around at that time (and he featured in that panel in Shadowplay where Pax, (original) Ultra Magnus & Delta Magnus were fighting with... Sinnertwin? some two-headed robot dragon thing) may have tried to save his life, then got captured at a crucial moment and Chromedome had to do the nasty and wipe a colossal section of Skids' past so that they could mess around with both a figurehead AND a super learner outlier! Natural skill enhanced to the max minus the memories.

... and explain why Skids wouldn't remember Tyrest and be happy to carry out a hit on him sanctioned by Prowl.

Chromedome is a total bitch. Why is Rewind so stuck on this morally redundant tart?

Old 2014-11-13, 10:04 PM   #106
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Exclamation

Massive flaw in my theory; if Chromedome was behind it all, he could have simply erased or rewritten Skids' memories still further, back in issue seven. Double-wipe, simples!

Gosh tarn it!

Old 2014-11-13, 10:42 PM   #107
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

There's still some good theory meat on those bones though. I like the Magnus idea, thats pretty decent.

Old 2014-11-13, 10:50 PM   #108
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

What if Tarn is just... Tarn? He doesn't have to be anyone else, does he? Or am I needlessly spoiling everyone's fun?

(I say this knowing I have clearly missed something hinting that Tarn is / has been someone else)

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 11:39 PM   #109
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

I'm happy for tarn to be tarn. Cant remember when the whole "tarn is..." Thing started. Was it after issue 7 or after the shockwave reveal in shadowplay?

Maybe its when he whispers to black shadow that you can see a face underneath his mask that got people thinking.

Old 2014-11-13, 11:53 PM   #110
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Arrow

That'd be a massive thing if Tarn was simply Tarn! But the DJD operates a roster like The Wreckers. The difference is when a member of the DJD dies, the replacement also takes the name of the previous guy. This has been shown so far with Vos. The current Vos is relatively new (apparently), taking the mantle from the previous Vos who had hooks for hands and feet. Dalek mentioned it a couple of pages ago in this thread (or Unicorn, or Warcry).

The big money would be on Roller being Tarn, because he was big, smart, soft-spoken and best mates with Pax. You could swap my guess of the original Magnus for Roller and the impact on Chromedome being found out would still be the same, as it would for the readers I suppose.

I think if such character interchangeability were possible then perhaps a writer like Roberts wouldn't go for the Magnus angle. Whoever Tarn is, the reveal should have an impact that could only come from one character. It would (still) be both shocking and sad to see if it is Roller. So if is someone else, its got to have as much, if not more of an impact.

Tarn himself has had some messing going on, have you noticed how there's always a distinctive ring of circuitry detail around his left eye? He's been under a surgeons knife at some point.

Here's a wacky, no-evidence-for-this-whatsoever theory; Tarn is Pharma. Pharma's body was taken by some tendrils from another dimension back at the end of the Remain in Light arc. There seem to be five Luna 1's that choose when to make their presence known, and maybe they can mess with time too. Maybe Tarn is an alternate Pharma robbing T-cogs from himself on Messatine. He was an Autobot of dubious morals anyway, and he loves mashing robots up. Being the head of the DJD would be fun for a sadist like him, and he'd relish the twist of it too.

Also, there's an even bigger baddy out there. Tyres activated the recall in his own hand (as per the text story at the end of Remain in Light), so Tyrest is also a little guy inside a big body. So who is HIS boss?

Old 2014-11-14, 02:18 AM   #111
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

That was the one bit of Remain in Light that bugged me (the Tyrest thing). It felt like over-egging - either Tyrest survives and we have to deal with him again (which I dont really think would be interesting now he is out of power) or he has a bigger boss which is fine but I dont think Tyrest needed to survive for that to be hinted at.

Of course he could actually be dead which is fine by me.

INteresting you note the Tarn eye thing, I was thinking something similar when I typed my bit about the mask showing his face underneath (well, we only get to see his mouth but the point is its a normal face which is unusual for someone with a faceplate from what I can gather).

It's probably Shockwave.

Old 2014-11-14, 09:19 AM   #112
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Would it be shocking if it was Roller though? It's not like we've had a lot of time to get to know him so I don't think that shock reveal would carry the same weight as what happened to Shockwave. Likewise, Tarn turning out to be a Magnus wouldn't work forme.

Personally, I like the extremist angle someone said a few pages back. The DJD cetainly have the zealotry for this and it would make for a much more meaty take on the group than 'oh, its a beloved character made evil'.

Villains turning out to be heroes who've gone taken a wrong turn (by accident or design) is a cliche I can cheerfully do without - unless there's some fancy new spin put on it (a la poor Senator Shockwave).

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 03:05 PM   #113
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

Yeah, kind of my thoughts on it. We don't really know anything about Roller or Tarn yet. They're both fairly blank slates (They're bulky and smart, one drinks juice boxes, the other murders.) and finding out that Some Guy has really all along been Some Other Guy would be a hard reveal to make dramatic. It could be a fine origin story for Tarn (inasmuch as we need one. It wouldn't be hard to argue that we don't, or even that it could be more effective to never find out what the scary guy's deal is) but it wouldn't be a shocking dramatic reveal because we don't know anything about Roller except that Optimus likes him enough to name a buggy after him and that he's drank at least one juice box.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 03:27 PM   #114
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Oh blimey, yeah I totally forgot about that. There's a traitor aboard the Lost Light! I'm reckoning its not Brainstorm, just because nothing's ever that simple in MTMTE. Also because he has shown the tiniest soft spot for Chromedome (i.e. persuading him not to erase his memories of Rewind), and may be good mates with Highbrow, which was not made clear, it was just a comment made in Spotlight: Trailcutter. I'd actually love it for the traitor to be Chromedome. He'd have to answer to Rewind, and Brainstorm would be gutted, he would alienate himself from everyone. Whereas what's Brainstorm got to lose? He only cares about his lab.
Brainstorm have a very good cover and seemingly being sort of friends with various characters doesn't mean a thing though as that's par for the course with successful sleepers anyway, both in reality (the Cambridge spies) and fiction (Nina Myers was having the Sex with both Jack Bauer and Tony whilst betraying everyone left right and centre).

You could certainly build up a better case for him being on the wrong side more than any of the other main characters: He was working at Kimia when Skyfall was passing secrets on the Decepticons and could well have been the inbetween man, he just happened to knock everyone out right before Lockdown's crew came aboard to steal the thumb, most of his inventions seem really useful on the surface but seem to wind up going down a discarded blind alley (for example, no one is using the ennui gun or shrinking things as standard) as if he's deliberately wasting time and resources to keep the Autobot's technological advancements on the back foot.

Of course it might all be a double bluff, but I would be Roberts was thinking of all that when selecting Brainstorm as the patsy if nothing else.

Though thinking about it... I've no idea if this idea has now firmly been discredited (or if it had even the slightest basis in reality) but there used to be some fairly rigorous speculation that at least one of the Cambridge spies was in fact a double double agent still working for the British whilst living it up in Moscow (or at least secretly defected back after going over). Could Brainstorm be similar?

Either way, I would bet the time travel thingey in the briefcase(s... I think the ALL version will be how our heroes go back to stop Brainstorm doing what he's doing) is developed from technology in that time ship Turmoil got ahold of.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 05:36 PM   #115
Inaction Master
Slacker, slower, more slothful

About past DJD members, we've never actually seen any of the previous ones, yes? Only one we know of is the Vos with the hook hands, and arguably the only time we saw him was in gun-mode in #3 in flashback if I'm following things right.

And not to take us any further down dead ends but if there is some other double agent, what if they're like a programmed sleeper agent? Like how Beachcomber was one in the Blaster Spotlight - is that still a thing or did that just kinda get dropped altogether? Just curious I guess, given if we're looking into the possibility of Chromedome maybe mucking about with Skids' memory or what not.

Inaction Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 05:44 PM   #116
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK

I guess the programmed sleeper agent thing still holds. Wasn't it Bombshell who did that? And he did a variation on it with Prowl in RID. If that's the case its an alternative to Shadowplay in this continuity (not that its much like Shadowplay).

As for the DJD, yes I don't believe they've ever been seen outside the pages of MTMTE.

Old 2014-11-14, 05:50 PM   #117
Inaction Master

Right, but somehow it was also implied that Soundwave was the one responsible for orchestrating it prompting a vendetta between him and Blaster that never got resolved, and the fact that following AHM it seems like we've been running with Bombshell having only been recently created along with the other Insecticons. So, yeah, granted that all of that is kinda nebulous, it's not really a solid idea, but I guess more just another possibility this whole plot thread could be taken.

Old 2014-11-14, 06:26 PM   #118
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

This one keeps popping out of my head when I want to post; Spinister is a medic savant. Is he another candidate for brain meddling? I'm wondering if he was caught at a similar time to Skids, only Skids wasn't left a bit Tim, nice but dim.

Does Skids hate Misfire because Spinister was once a good friend to Skids and Misfire sold them out?

Friday night blathering! Love that pick of Geminus/Twin Twist in your sig by the way

Old 2014-11-14, 09:23 PM   #119
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
I'm happy for tarn to be tarn. Cant remember when the whole "tarn is..." Thing started. Was it after issue 7 or after the shockwave reveal in shadowplay?

Maybe its when he whispers to black shadow that you can see a face underneath his mask that got people thinking.
It's partially the mask thing going with the face (and if covers are any good indicator to go by, it looks like the mask is covering facial damage. Especially around the one eye), and at some con panel or during an interview, Jimbob was asked if Tarn was someone (or someone we knew) and the answer was yes. Not sure if it was a serious answer or if he was just egging people one. I've only seen the second or third hand accounts.

I still think the 'Brainstorm is a traitor' thing is a red herring. I know it's meant to look true, but there's a good bit of things being quite what they seem in this series. Of course, my denial of him being a traitor is probably because I like the character and if turns out to be evil, there's no way he'd be kept around as a regular-ish character. He'd only show up once in a while to be evil, shake his fist, and escape to live and fight another day. Like a wackier version of Destro.

Also, I have to note the similarity to Prowl over in the ex-RID comic. They kept going for those end of issue 'Is Prowl evil?' cliffhangers and it's just hasn't been working. Meanwhile, Roberts has been doing a similar bit much more successfully with Brainstorm. Though some of that is owed to him not doing something stupid like having Brainy put a gun to someone's head, then next issue have him say he was just trying to get someone's attention.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 10:29 PM   #120
Inaction Master

If Brainstorm does pan out to be a mole of some kind, I'm not sold on the idea that he'll be a straight up villain or anything. Underhanded, amoral and all that crap, yeah, but not like evil-evil - that so far has strictly been the realm of Overlord, the DJD and what few other 'Cons we've seen.

Though on that note, I really would like to have some confirmation on the 'Bots left in Swerve's bar at the end of #33. I wanted to see more of Atomizer on the off-chance he becomes more than just a bit-character, and the Monsterbots to do something cool.