• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2015-02-09, 06:28 PM   #41
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I loved the whistlestop tour through different formative points in Megatron's personal timeline. It does seem to look like everything is coming together in the form of a predestination paradox in which Brainstorm's pilfered green spark winds up inside Megatron's (seemingly constructed cold) body, though. Hopefully if that's where it's going Roberts will throw in another twist or two along the way.

Count me among those who didn't "get" Whirl's shock that the Functionists were behind both his shop being shut down and his later Empurata. I guess it's just because Roberts hasn't done much to actually show us what the Functionists and Senate have authority over. Both just sort of blend together into a vague evil government, so for it to turn out that a different organ of that government was responsible for something doesn't seem like that big of a shock to me. Does it really matter which functionary signed the orders to ruin your life?

Whirl and co. talking about it openly in front of the two Heavies is almost certainly the "tip off" that led them to take down Shockwave about a year later at the end of Shadowplay, though.

Overall, enjoyed this quite a bit and I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
So regarding rewind - are we thinking that at some point since coming on board OLL Domey wiped OLL Rewind but this didnt happen (for whatever reason) between ALL Domey & Rewind? There is that off-hand remark in issue 12 about rewind being allergic to ultra violet light and of course thats how you spot whether someone has had been messed with. Wonder what the reasons were - is it possible that...
I suspect something similar, though I wonder if the reasons are staring us right in the face. What if they've already found Dominus and know exactly what happened to him, but it's something so horrible that Rewind needed to forget it? If he was killed horribly/became Tarn/tried to kill Rewind/any of a million other awful things, I could see Rewind deciding that not knowing was better.

I could also see Chromedome deciding that for him.

That would make Chromedome's question sound less like a jealous lover and more like "did the other me ever tell you what I did?"

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-09, 08:32 PM   #42
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
What if they've already found Dominus and know exactly what happened to him, but it's something so horrible that Rewind needed to forget it? If he was killed horribly/became Tarn/tried to kill Rewind/any of a million other awful things, I could see Rewind deciding that not knowing was better.

I could also see Chromedome deciding that for him.

That would make Chromedome's question sound less like a jealous lover and more like "did the other me ever tell you what I did?"
Oh I likes that angle. Maybe Dominus sided with the decepticons initially (it would fit with his form against authority) but when he tried to leave the more violent fringe (DJD) got to him.

Actually, Dominus has a similar head to Roller which is similar to... DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!!!

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-09, 09:01 PM   #43
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
I don’t think Brainstorm could care less about saving billions or ‘quintillions’ of lives. A mad scientist like him prospers best in wartime, being given licence to create all manner of nasty and strange devices. There’s a phrase about war often creating the best situation for innovation and advancement, so if anything, the war coming to an end is the end of a purposeful life for him.

Some of his actions suggest he cares about no-one, apart from a little sentimentality towards Chromedome losing another Conjunx Endura, and the desire to be recognised above Perceptor… and these two are alive and well. There’s been no backstory yet to display he’s lost anyone or anything important through the war.

Interestingly the gun he’s about to shoot Megatron with has a bit of resemblance to a Walther P-38. I’d bet the cover price of a TF UK comic from 1987 that its not a gun necessarily used for killing. Maybe he’s going back to enhance Megatron in some way?
Well, whether he's an Autobot or a Decepticon he's spent several million years on at least one side fighting to end the war, so he's got some investment there, especially if he's a Con (or something else we haven't thought of) as being a dedicated double agent is above and beyond the call of simple science.

I'm going to guess that whatever he's pointing at Megatron isn't an actual gun as such.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-09, 09:05 PM   #44
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Ooh, that is chilling! I could well imagine that's exactly what Chromedome did. Tearing apart Rewind's previous Conjunx Endura and then filling the void left by him. What could possibly destroy Rewind more?

On another note, I was wondering if one of the two police guys seen exiting Roller to deal with the commotion at Maccadams is Valve? Valve being the brother of Springarm and Wheelarch, Valve also being the first leader of The Wreckers (if I remember that correctly), and the one The Wreckers don't talk about. It might make a nice symmetry of sorts; knowing another Wrecker leader is actually in the bar and has caused a great deal of the ruckus.

I was almost totally underwhelmed by Whirl's real face. I'm so glad he is who he is now, although he's probably about to be (again) the reason for the war. I also wondered whether the robot he kills in this issue could somehow become Killmaster, again because on so many other TF sites its becoming a trope that an unnamed Roberts character is likely to turn into someone significant. But I also like it because Whirl would be his killer twice, and his creator once.

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2015-02-09 at 09:18 PM.
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-09, 09:09 PM   #45
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I think Roberts revealed the name of the killed guy on Twitter is response to Mr. McFeely asking, so it's probably on the wiki now (the two enforcers have only ever been Enforcer 1 and Enforcer 2 though).

Old 2015-02-09, 09:13 PM   #46
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Well, whether he's an Autobot or a Decepticon he's spent several million years on at least one side fighting to end the war.
Just my feeling, but I don't think he's been doing any of this because it helps end a war. Like I don't think it bothers him whether he's an Autobot or a Decepticon, particularly. He just wants to make stuff and be revered, and joining either team would give him access to lots of confiscated goodies and dodgy tech.

It makes me wonder that at the end of all this Megatron will take stock and realise the Autobots are more of a mess than the Decepticons, and that he was right all along... Probably as he's making good on his threat to Prime from the beginning of Chaos Theory and crushing some poor Autobot's skull. Three guesses who that might be!

Old 2015-02-10, 07:36 PM   #47
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
I also wondered whether the robot he kills in this issue could somehow become Killmaster, again because on so many other TF sites its becoming a trope that an unnamed Roberts character is likely to turn into someone significant. But I also like it because Whirl would be his killer twice, and his creator once.
I'm certain that bot is the current Kaon. The experimental weapon mutates his spark [shot at the same spot Kaon has got that void thing], fries his eyes [Kaon has no visible eyes], he has similar colours and build, appears on a thunderstorm...visual clues all over.

I'm starting to think that maybe Roberts is seeding clues all over [first Roller, now him] about the DJD and how the LL inadvertently created them all in that time period. Maybe we've seen the other 3 but don't know it, maybe we'll see them [even passing by] in the next issue?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 08:44 PM   #48
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Oooh, good shout. Comparing the two, I think you may be right. So, Whirl is responsible not only for the whole war, but also the death of Trailbreaker. That guy really should be put into stasis for the good of the universe.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 09:06 PM   #49
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Question

With all this being the case, how do you know whether you're breaking the chain of events or simply following it? Is the Universe re-writing itself, or is something else happening? Maybe there is no paradox.

Old 2015-02-10, 09:06 PM   #50
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

I will punch a midget if that happens. The only thing less interesting than "Roller is Tarn" is "This guy you know even less well than Roller is the member of the DJD you give a toss about even less than Tarn".

I just can't believe Roberts is so desperate for ideas now he's just going to redo the "Senator is Shockwave!" thing five times over.

Old 2015-02-10, 09:45 PM   #51
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Talking

I think its good, and quite set apart from Shockwave's predicament: A nutty asshole from the future blasts you to kingdom come with an experimental gun and inadvertantly creates an abomination.

I still like the idea of Roller being Tarn, as long as the reasons are solid. I think Tarn may be a combination of personalities in another rather twisted Institute experiment. It likely won't be anything like as simple, Roberts has probably thought up something fairly mind-meddling and gruesome.

Old 2015-02-10, 10:22 PM   #52
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

"Less interesting than Roller is Tarn?" ch ch ch ch

I like the idea that the DJD are a bunch of nobodies and misfits cobbled together under a former Autobot macho.

And to be fair, we do know Roller a bit more than Tarn. For all their awesomeness and popularity, the DJD were basically sidelined in their own two parter earlier on, and their other appearances are only happening now, 2 years later.

The more actual proper books I read [as in, they only have one picture on the cover, the rest is all text and no merchandise on the side to sell ] the more I find that James Roberts is unlike other comic book writers---he's more of a book writer.

His storytelling is similar at points to Philip K Dick and J RR Martin---sure you've got your A names running around doing the big events, but the main story is told through C and D tiers living through these events or their repercussions, as well as gradual world building---you get one part of a story here by character X, then you get a further or opposing part of that story by character Y a couple of issues down the road.

That is why I believe the Roller = Tarn idea works and has been going on, at least in JR's head, since early on. And seeds have been planted all throughout the series.

First off, similarities in form--namely the head. This was apparent mid-Shadowplay where we got our first proper view of Roller.

Then, an extra connection. I've said it before and will say it again, Skids is connected to the DJD in some way, having the same piece of music stuck in his head that Tarn plays.

Then the various name drops of Roller among heavy tiers and special bots---why name drop him all of a sudden next to Grimlock if he was gone so long ago?

Then a small parallel during Remain in Light---Tarn more or less paraphrasing Optimus in his concern for Kaon.

The recent issue with Roller up and center also showcase more things, even if minor---he squishes the head of a redshirt the same way as Tarn did Swerve [visual parallel], transforms into the middle of a battle for no real reason other to be a bully and transform, we get the hint that the booster he uses could cause spark failure [alluring to a sense of theatrinism for his singing---what if he actually injects the bots while pretending to lower his voice?], his own low self esteem for not being anything more than a bruiser [hence the theater of special skill of voice---and he does say to Black Shadow "they say this, they say that"], his introduction to Megatron's work, his facial disfigurement and accidental abandonment...

I mean, come on, this was planned for quite some time. Just because some folk put 1+1 together by visual similarities quite some time ago does not mean it loses much impact?

As for Kaon, I'm up for that theory---a random nobody given powers accidentally, with side effects. Do note that Kaon is constructed cold BUT has special powers--electricity harvesting etc. That should, theoretically, not be possible, as all outliers are point one percenters.

Let's see if we get the other 3 thrown to us on next issue, or if hints are already dropped for them and we missed them [might be more to Terminus than more than meets the eye? some random dudes we did not notice, or will be featured next time?]

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 10:27 PM   #53
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I'd quite like it if the DJD were just left for folk to speculate. I think another 'ah-ha! it was such and such all along' runs the risk of being repetitious and derivative of the Shockwave reveal, but also a bit... Scooby Doo with the monster unmasked at the end and its the flipping janitor.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 10:51 PM   #54
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Following on from what Knightdramon said, I wonder if Skids was actually in the DJD for a time? He has a large expanse of his past missing from his mind. I'd always thought that was a result of Institute machinations.

What if the institute twisted him, following on from that he becomes part of the DJD, and it takes the likes of Glitch, Windcharger and Pax to retrieve him somehow, which may explain why Glitch isn't around anymore (either a casualty or another DJD member), and why Windcharger isn't a flat-out superhero in the IDW verse... perhaps he had his powers curtailed in some way. Whatever the case, Skids has done nasty things that makes even Chromedome's stomach turn.

And Chromedome's as sick as they come!

Old 2015-02-10, 10:58 PM   #55
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I will punch a midget if that happens. The only thing less interesting than "Roller is Tarn" is "This guy you know even less well than Roller is the member of the DJD you give a toss about even less than Tarn".

I just can't believe Roberts is so desperate for ideas now he's just going to redo the "Senator is Shockwave!" thing five times over.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. If he goes back to the "Character X was secretly Character Y all along!" well that many times (with progressively less-interesting characters), it would be a real disappointment for me.

Besides, the "Roller is Tarn!" thing never felt right to me anyway. I can understand Optimus naming his auxiliary component after an old friend who'd died, but not after someone who'd become one of the Decepticons' most loathsome war criminals. That would be like Winston Churchill unironically naming pets after Goebbels or Himmler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
For all their awesomeness
[Citation needed]

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 01:15 AM   #56
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Its an interesting idea that this little jaunt could be the creation of the DJD. Suppose that the real reason for Brainstorm going back in time was to stop the creation of the DJD because he saw how potentially lethal they could be if they encountered the lost light. Maybe his theory is that he goes back and tries to stop megatron from forming the decepticons by way of never releasing his dogma (so even if he musters an army, its not backed by the material that fuels the DJD). However he unwittingly is the cause for it, leading Rodimus and his band into all the key points where the DJD troops are mustered. Its a little bit of a stretch but I can buy it. Possible that Brainstorm was only a con for a while. After all, some of us have put forward the idea that it was Rewind who summoned the DJD to the ALL.

Personal hope - I'd like the DJD and Tarn to never reveal themselves BUT for all the clues to be there. Unlike Shockwave we never find out for certain but there are enough signposts to 95% confirm it. The clues are there for those who look but in-story the characters never reveal themselves (explaining why Prime et all never know)

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-12, 07:16 PM   #57
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Red face

Christ, the Cyclonus/Tailgate domestic abuse thing finally makes sense to me; its a five panel segment but the fourth panel has rounded edges, as Denyer said, to suggest it as the flashback image these two characters are remembering.

That was not clear at all. The way I read it, it seemed like Cyclonus was apologising for the beating he was about to dish out, and Tailgate being fine with that. Now if they'd reprinted the one panel from the past of Cyclonus thwacking Tailgate across the room with a little reference at the bottom saying (*Issue 5), then I would have understood.

So apologies to Unicorn and Denyer for me going on and on earlier, it just took me that long to see it!

Old 2015-02-12, 11:07 PM   #58
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

you're not the only one who didn't pick up on that straight away.

...bring back the Marvel UK red border flashback panels!!!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-13, 12:50 PM   #59
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Speaking of a good kicking, someone in charge will likely be doing that to themselves as it looks like, despite initially hoping to put two issues out in February in order to catch up, #38 won't be out till March now.

Old 2015-02-13, 09:16 PM   #60
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote