• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2015-02-18, 01:25 PM   #181
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Hrrrn, the more I look at Rook the less I like him. The concept of new team members is great, I'm all up for that. That figure, though, doesn't work for me. Too bulky, iffy colours, and weird "hand" holes. In the absence of Ambulon (who would've been perfect), I'll probably pass on Rook and grab one of the "Masquerade" 'bots to be Defensor's leg. I'm hoping Prowl or Ironhide will prove possible to modify into a new character in a police or search and rescue vein.

On the subject of the "Masquerade" team, I think I have a fairly good idea of the mould choices.

Mirage = Drag Strip
Prowl = Streetwise (the light bar mod being for the Dead End mould swings it away from the Lambo)
Sunstreaker = Breakdown
Ironhide = First Aid

Hopefully all with new heads, of course. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 06:21 PM   #182
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

On the subject of Devastator's price, it's probably worth noting that big-ticket toy items like that are priced partially with large holiday sales in mind. I'd say all of six people paid full price for Metroplex, and once October hit I didn't see the giant AoE Grimlock for more than $50-60. Devastator may.'cost' $150, but it'll probably hover around $100.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 08:58 PM   #183
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I have no issue with simple efficient well engineered Transformers. In fact I hate overcomplication. The Prime figures totally nailed the perfect balance for me. Combiner Wars Devastator, though, is oversimplified and a terrible disappointment. Plus it's way overpriced. And I know I've asked a few times now, but seriously what is with the total disaster that is Mixmaster? His G1 design is so simple surely it would fit in with this madness? Instead he looks terrible in every mode.

Anyway. Enough repeating myself.

I look forward to a third party Devastator with G1-esque individual robot modes.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-19, 12:08 AM   #184
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Another thing bugging me about Devestator is the wheels being just plastic mounted to plastic instead of pins. The pinless TFs I have (including Dragstrip) don't seem to roll as well.

CW Devestator seems like a rough draft/proof-of-concept design, just to see if a Devestator made of 6 G1-styled Voyagers would work, that Hasbro decided to release as a product. It's a shame they didn't spend some time refining them, because they look pretty good. It really is just a matter of adding details like wheels and joints, not major reengineering.

Looking at the pics Denyer linked to at the top of page 8, Long Haul is noticably taller than the others, and twice as wide. He might be nearer to Leader size than Voyager, which makes the 6 Voyager price tag look a little better. Still, I'd rather pay 5 Voyagers and a Leader if the extra went into addressing the concerns we've raised over the past couple pages.

I like the idea of Deluxes compatible with the other combiners ever better. Maybe they'll do that with the Predacons. All the gestalts pretty much have Predaking's feet, anyway.

The reliance on mold reuse might hinder making the beast combiners, since their bots were pretty unique. 3P showed you can rework Tantrum into Headstrong. Replacing Divebomb's wing pack with smaller, attached wings might make a passable Cutthroat. Rippersnapper could become Overbite, maybe Skalor. Replacing Nautilator's lobster claws with stumpy legs might get you close to Tentakill.

The Seacons' original gimmick of anyone forming the weapon probably wouldn't work. Skydive can't even hold Powerglide. I doubt any elbow joint could support a Deluxe size weapon.

R&R - I'd assume the Masquerade repaints would be based on that episode: Jazz for Dead End, Sideswipe for Breakdown, and Mirage for Dragstrip. Wildrider's out, which would explain Windcharger being the Legends toy.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-19, 01:53 AM   #185
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post

I guess? I just have a hard time divorcing value-for-money from the equation. I mean, if a terrible Devastator is worth $150 (actually, $180 for us), then surely an actually good Devastator would be worth more than that? I'm not a huge fan of the third-party Devastators either since they didn't even try to make the individual robots look like the Constructicons, but I'd certainly pay out for one of them way before I spent any money on the official one even though they cost double.
Yeah, value is relative. I think that there is zero things wrong with your POV. From mine, well, if it doesn't feel like a cheap piece of shit/isn't massively hollow in places it shouldn't be, I can overlook the arms. And it'll be worth it to me, because it will make my husband happy/hooray new shiny, BIG shiny, moar fiddle time/$400ish bucks is more than I can mentally justify shelling out for a toy.

(Heh, Compromise Devastator. "At least it's not $400ish bucks!" "Possibly the next best thing to 3rd party!")

It'll go down in price, too, after release (as tahukanuva mentioned). So it doesn't necessarily have to be $180ish bucks.

Quote:
I mean, I get that economies of scale are a thing, and a Titan is going to get a smaller production run than a Voyager. The costs of designing and making the molds will eat into their margins, since they're selling further units. And the mass of the thing in combined mode means that you can't just toss in ball joints everywhere and expect him to still be able to stand, so proper joints will raise the cost a bit too. But if those factors mean that your final product winds up being this shoddy, then it never should have made it off the drawing board. Do something else instead, something that you can do properly without blowing the budget. Maybe make a Devastator at the same scale as the other CW toys instead (with the added bonus of making the individual Constructicons compatible with the other figures) and fill the "big Christmas toy" slot with a giant $100+ Omega Supreme for him to fight (who, if Metroplex is any indication, would turn out much better than Devastator did).

I like this (esp. CW compatible Constructicons). Possibly the line of thought on Hasbro's end was more along the lines of "well, there's two big 3rd party figures of this figure and they're stupid expensive, let's make a cheaper one" and they proceeded to make it as cheaply as possible to give themselves a good, wide profit margin. Because money. :/ Least, that's what I imagine.

Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 05:59 AM   #186
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

The wiki site has posted their own rundown of the toyfair, and it's remarkably sensible.

Quote:
Titan Devastator was a collaboration between designers John Warden and TakaraTomy's Shogo Hasui, who was driven by an almost-religious fervor to see that Devastator reached perfection (and reportedly got very little sleep in the process).
<sigh> Missed it by *that* much...

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 08:27 PM   #187
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

More of a sense of both size and hollowness on those CW Constructicons;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz5dcKmOM

Also one for Magnus;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wFwaO_sgg

edit: Same guy also took close up photos including things like back kibble that don't normally make it into reporting --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...nt-angles.html

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 11:38 PM   #188
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Difficult to judge on what's presumably a camera phone video but the overall look and finish of Long Haul was exactly what I was afraid of - flat and cheap-looking. Looks like an Autoroller.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 11:49 PM   #189
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Yeah. Though I'm thinking given the size it might just look thinner, plus I guess weight had to be reduced somehow.

I might also just be trying to talk them up to myself, since we're probably still picking them up. I'm still hopeful! Well, mostly. Sorta.

Old 2015-02-25, 11:57 PM   #190
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

It's the sort of thing that if I saw them in store it'd be pretty hard to resist because it's a great big ****ing Devastator who'd probably display pretty nicely with MP cars in robot modes. I'd just probably be pretty annoyed with him afterwards and not do much else with him. While even more flawed, the ROTF Supreme one was a similar sort of thing - it was pretty cool to set him up menacing the little guys but the novelty wore off.

Old 2015-02-26, 08:31 PM   #191
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Another factor is, as numerous third party combiners have bumped into, weight. They tend to get heavy very quickly, and whichever figure makes up the waist and knees has to be able to support all it all. If the Constructicons weren't so hollow, Long Haul would have to have either impossibly robust joints or none at all.

And for something completely batty, here's the rumored reissue set of Blitzwing and Astrotrain: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...otrain-182183/

Blitzwing is apparently done up in Flywheels' colors, which is fun, but Astrotrain seems to have his original deco plus random orange parts.

Old 2015-02-26, 09:18 PM   #192
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

...okay then. That makes exactly zero sense as a retail release.

The guy in the TFW thread who said it looked like a random knockoff has a good point. And people generally don't pay $100+ for knockoffs like what Hasbro is liable to charge for this set.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 09:25 PM   #193
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
And for something completely batty, here's the rumored reissue set of Blitzwing and Astrotrain: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...otrain-182183/
Not a bad idea!

Quote:
Blitzwing is apparently done up in Flywheels' colors, which is fun, but Astrotrain seems to have his original deco plus random orange parts.
Wait, what? I could kind of see either as mad TakaraTomy lucky draw prizes or something but... what exactly was wrong with the original colours? Would imagine as G1 reissues go there would actually be a bit of demand for the originals of those two.

Without wanting to sound like a mad Geewuner Hasbro seem to keep going out of their way to sabotage reissue programmes.

Old 2015-02-26, 10:31 PM   #194
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Yeah, Blitzwing done up in Flywheels' colors kind of makes sense for a short run exclusive, but it's weird to have him in those colors for a general reissue, let alone boxed with a while, purple, and orange Astrotrain. And it's not even sensibly arranged... it's more like they cast one sprue in orange on accident and just ran with it.

Come to think of it, has Hasbro ever reissued Blitzwing before anyway? I know Takara has at least once.

But yeah, between this set and the Year of the Goat G2 Prime and Masterpiece Soundwave, it's like Hasbro is purposefully trolling the fans or trying to sabotage their own sales.

Old 2015-02-26, 11:37 PM   #195
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Totally does look like a knockoff. From what I can see of them anywho.

You just know someone out there is going "Hahaha, look at them freaking out. 'omgggg it's the wrong coloursssssss.'"

I see a lot of repaints coming.

Old 2015-02-27, 12:30 AM   #196
Clay

Murray, KY
Red face

Well, I mean it's not that they're the wrong colors. I like Blitzwheels. It's that Astrotrain's color scheme just looks random and terrible.

Old 2015-02-27, 02:15 AM   #197
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Thumbs up

Maybe this will inspire people to go back to their originals and repaint them in homage. You never know.

Old 2015-02-27, 08:59 AM   #198
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I quite like the mad colours on these reissues... but yeah, what are Hasbro up to...? And what happened to the Coneheads - surely they haven't lost the moulds already...

Not sure what I think of Devastator really. I think I'd need to see one in the flesh. Probably going to be enormous Tonka toy style fun. Although Tonka toys aren't much fun since they got rid of the metal.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 09:18 AM   #199
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Meh, I'd love to have the two figures but only if they were in the original colour scheme.

So getting the Devestator. Is there a release date on him, or just sometime before the end of they year?

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 09:35 AM   #200
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Fall of 2015, Sweetcheeks.