• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2015-04-16, 08:51 PM   #1
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #40

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #40 three-page preview from the usual place.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 40 pg1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	10723   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 40 pg2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	10724   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 40 pg3.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	10725  
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-16, 08:53 PM   #2
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Just brilliant. First page had me all sentimental for all 3 bots/person...

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-16, 09:19 PM   #3
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

You know what makes the Hunter stuff on Page 1 even worse? Bombshell sitting in the tree in the last panel. I totally missed it until someone mentioned it.
Page 3 started not at all like I expected, which just makes it funnier.

So Ratchet doesn't say goodbye... Guess we know what's happening at the end of the issue, perhaps with tragedy.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-16, 10:42 PM   #4
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Mm, Scarvix. Don't tell Marvel!

And I suppose Swerve will have to go all gastro now to compete with Mirage.

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 02:26 AM   #5
zigzagger

Re: Ratchet leaving -- Maybe this is the point where he leaves to catch up with Drift in his mini-series.

Though... the way it's being set up, it does come across like Ratchet may be leaving for good, doesn't it.

Mixed on that prospect, if it all turns out to be true. On one hand, well, it's Ratchet and I love him. Conversely though, while I am forever game for new Ratchet adventures, his arc in MTMTE is pretty much complete (at least he's accomplished everything he's set out to do since issue #1, more or less -- though I'm still waiting on that 'proper handover' to First Aid). Been a while -- like, Remain in Light -- since he's been in the forefront too.

Old 2015-04-17, 11:16 AM   #6
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

That is some excellent attention to detail to make that third segment on the first page resemble the 'ations.

Mirage's posh bar sounds like the absolute worst.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 03:38 PM   #7
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Full preview is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Mixed on that prospect, if it all turns out to be true. On one hand, well, it's Ratchet and I love him. Conversely though, while I am forever game for new Ratchet adventures, his arc in MTMTE is pretty much complete (at least he's accomplished everything he's set out to do since issue #1, more or less -- though I'm still waiting on that 'proper handover' to First Aid). Been a while -- like, Remain in Light -- since he's been in the forefront too.
There's a problem with the "hand things off to First Aid" plan now, though -- First Aid is gone off to join the Combiner Wars along with the rest of the Protectobots, and who knows if we'll ever see him back aboard the Lost Light. The post-miniseries new toy shilling might mean that Defensor needs to stay behind on Cybertron with the rest of the gestalts.

Of course, the same goes for Mirage, so Swerve probably won't have to worry about losing customers for long.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 04:24 PM   #8
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
There's a problem with the "hand things off to First Aid" plan now, though -- First Aid is gone off to join the Combiner Wars along with the rest of the Protectobots, and who knows if we'll ever see him back aboard the Lost Light. The post-miniseries new toy shilling might mean that Defensor needs to stay behind on Cybertron with the rest of the gestalts.

Of course, the same goes for Mirage, so Swerve probably won't have to worry about losing customers for long.
It is a shame, isn't it. These aren't big plotlines but it grates that they are being pulled about by outside forces. When I did my big read of the Giffen / DeMatteis Justice League books that are a big influence on MTMTE, you can spot these hairpin turns a mile off. It really hurts the idea of the series successfully outlasting its sell-by date. It's something that the comic industry seems to have cheerfully sacrificed a long time ago - I suppose TV shows and movie franchises have similar problems with contracts / deaths but it seems like the stakes are higher in those cases. IDW could have done some requisite Combiner Wars comics in a splinter timeline that resembles their continuity. That's the logic the toy biographies operate under - we don't expect Rung to up sticks and do a psychological profile of the Protectobots to fit in line with some copy so why is it okay to pinch First Aid for essentially the same reasons?

Anyway, the art is lovely here. This is Cahill, isn't it? I don't remember clearly the last thing he did but this looks like a leap and a bound of improvement. Very good sense of space and depth.

Oh, and here's more fuel to the 'Ultra Magnus and Megatron getalong gang' fire - Ultra Magnus has been doing some thinking about the sorts of human rights that Megatron was very keen on, once upon a time.

Old 2015-04-26, 08:30 PM   #9
zigzagger

Smile

It took 40 issues, two Spotlights and an annual, but Xaaron finally gets a line of dialogue, unless I'm forgetting something.

It's a start.

Not that he's a character I've been clamoring for, just would be nice if he piped up once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Full preview is available.

I sure do hope not

Always figured MTMTE was on its own vague timeline, and being somewhat removed from the other titles.

Sort of thing happens in the cape books all the time, where a character inexplicably disappears to take part in some editorially mandated event, only to return a storyline or two down the road and no one misses a beat.

Maybe it'll simply come down to a few throwaway comments (personally, I'd like to see Rodimus' reaction when - or if - Ratchet returns to the ship with Drift in tow).

Old 2015-04-26, 10:41 PM   #10
Inaction Master
Slacker, slower, more slothful

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
It took 40 issues, two Spotlights and an annual, but Xaaron finally gets a line of dialogue, unless I'm forgetting something.
No kidding. I feel like I've been waiting for the longest time for him to be given something to do other than accentuate the scenery. I'd just like to know more about his actual standing in canon as of now, or like why he joined the Lost Light crew to begin with.

It'll be sad to see Ratchet go, which I'm hoping is what this is leading to and not him dying tragically or something. Though with him going, First Aid gone and Ambulon... uh, yeah, this kinda means the crew's without a capable medic. Though I guess there's Hoist...

Inaction Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-27, 02:47 PM   #11
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaction Master View Post
It'll be sad to see Ratchet go, which I'm hoping is what this is leading to and not him dying tragically or something. Though with him going, First Aid gone and Ambulon... uh, yeah, this kinda means the crew's without a capable medic. Though I guess there's Hoist...
Well, back in DC when Ratchet was fixing him up, Megatron did say he wanted to be a medic before the war...

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 01:31 PM   #12
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Read the issue when I should be working.

Quick summary:

Awwwwwwwww

Fantastic stuff. No wacky hijinx, no technobabble, just some solid character work and excellent art. Sets up all kinds of genuinely interesting new arcs and not a line or panel is wasted.

Old 2015-04-29, 07:12 PM   #13
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Yeah, nothing to add but +1 to the appreciation.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 07:24 PM   #14
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Just so you know, I am in work now and jealous of you ��

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 07:32 PM   #15
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I thought it was very much a breather issue, with a lot of good moments but it was very much making time and probably the weakest (in relation to the overall quality of the series) thus far in season 2.

Some of the problems weren't of the books own making though. Ratchet gets a heartfelt goodbye, but we know it's so he can go be in the giant bag of three day old cum that was Empire of Stone, that makes it an annoying waste of one of the best characters being shoved into a plot nobody wanted him in. First Aid finally gets to be chief medical officer but (whilst having to go back to Cybertron makes sense in that context) we know he's instead going to wind up part of a giant monster going "Raaaah" as the endpoint of his characterisation. Mirage does something! But he'll wind up doing an crazy Ironhide impression to try and explain a comic nobody wanted explaining (and of course, Ironhide started having visions for the same reason).

The payoff to ten kind of fell flat as well because we've seen so little of him, indeed, is this the first time he's been back since he first appeared? It felt like the end of a storyline that's happened entirely off-camera. He could have at least been shown hanging around Ultra Magnus.

Plus, in a comic where the Getaway scene has caused a lot of fuss, it's surprising no one has commented on the fact Ten is basically a really creepy stalker, watching Magnus, stealing his stuff, making small effigies of him. Yikes.

As for Brainstorm- God-damn it, Auntie Slag was right! I hate it when that happens.

It was a nice scene, but it did feel he got off really lightly for Attempted Destruction of Established History. Indeed, are the Lost Light crew really qualified to try such a crime? That's where bringing Maximus in as the new duly appointed enforcer to oversee things would have helped.

Either way, considering they only have his word for any of what he says, the idea he'd ever be let near his lab again under any circumstances is ridiculous even for this series. He managed to build a time machine under Perceptor's nose, who'd know what he'd get up to if he really is a wrong'un? It all felt a bit too much "Must sustain the status quo no matter what!".

And sure, Brainstorm getting off lightly compared to Drift was sort of the point, but it felt too contrived a way to get Ratchet thinking about this.

The aforementioned Getaway scene... well it was creepy and uncomfortable with all sorts of date rape/abusive boyfriend parallels. Considering this is another long running plot that's barely been touched upon this could do with some resolution soon.

Though based on Brainstorm, it'll turn out Getaway is a nice date rapist so they'll let him off so he can continue being a regular as long as he promises never to do it again.

The Ratchet scenes were by far the best part of the issue.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 07:49 PM   #16
zigzagger

Thumbs up

Well, I liked this issue. A lot. It tugged on all the right heartstrings for me.

Ratchet is the real heart of the issue, with all threads framed around him, so it should come as no surprise that I absolutely adored the fuck out of this issue. Very impressive character work, full marks and all that.

Nice follow up on Ratchet and Rodimus's conversation from issue #30 too, and I've sooo been waiting for the other shoe to drop on the subject of Drift. Ratchet finally acknowledges First Aid as the new Chief Medical Officer, again a long time coming. At least it addresses my earlier concerns, though admittedly not quite to my satisfaction. Then there's Ultra Magnus...

Confession time; I've always liked Ultra Magnus. Even when Roberts beat the whole OCD shtick into the freakin' dirt, I still liked the guy. Couldn't take him seriously, mind, but I liked him. Don't ask me why. But this issue showed growth, that there has actually been, you know, progression since Remain in Light. Yes, there's been signs of it here and there since then, but this -- slight as it may have been -- is a step in the right direction.

I like Magnus the character more than Magnus the running gag, I guess is what I'm getting at

And Ten. Squeeeeeee! I love Ten! He's adorable! And oh, that sad, sad face. The poor thing. You just want to give the lug a big ol' hug.

Curious on one thing that has no doubt been brought up in the past; since Ten speaks in Tyrest's old code, what does 'ten' actually mean? Something horrible, more than likely. You know, to juxtapose against how cute Ten is.

In the same vein, I have not missed Swerve in the slightest, and this issue did nothing to sway me. He's just as abrasive and obnoxious as we last saw him.

More thoughts to come.

Old 2015-04-30, 12:14 AM   #17
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

I enjoyed the issue, although it was a bit Nightbeat-lite for me. But it was a nice character building issue. And getting everybody who needed to talk to talk was brilliant on Ratchet's part.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 02:42 PM   #18
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

For shame, Dalek! In times like these I always heed the advice my grandmother gave on her deathbed - 'Just pretend that Drift: Empire of Stone doesn't exist.'

She was a wise woman, dearly missed.

Didn't realise how incensed people were by Getaway. He is coming across as a pick-up artist, which is an interesting kind of peril for Transformers. I'm guessing Cyclonus is going to be stirred into doing something about him at some point.

Here's a neat thing I've read abroad - I hadn't quite grasped the significance of Megatron having the time machine because hey, what is he going to do? But that means he can get into the Functionist Universe. It also means he might go looking for Terminus. That would be cool.

I suppose Ten and the reminder of the Legislator massacre is setting us up for something about the Circle of Light? There's some good horror in the idea of all these guys being Frankenstein'd.

Quote:
Confession time; I've always liked Ultra Magnus. Even when Roberts beat the whole OCD shtick into the freakin' dirt, I still liked the guy. Couldn't take him seriously, mind, but I liked him. Don't ask me why. But this issue showed growth, that there has actually been, you know, progression since Remain in Light. Yes, there's been signs of it here and there since then, but this -- slight as it may have been -- is a step in the right direction.

I like Magnus the character more than Magnus the running gag, I guess is what I'm getting at
Couldn't agree more. Early Magnus does stand out as a genuine misstep of Season 1. He was useful as the Rimmer of the ship but he works better as a sort of uncool dad.

Can we have more of Cahill?

Old 2015-04-30, 08:14 PM   #19
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
For shame, Dalek! In times like these I always heed the advice my grandmother gave on her deathbed - 'Just pretend that Drift: Empire of Stone doesn't exist.'
But it does exist! We cannot deny it!

One place this fell down was Ratchet seems to be forgetting the reason Drift got such short shrift was that he insisted upon it, otherwise Rodimus would have just revealed the truth.

Then again, apparently Empire retcons this to have him all depressed and broody about being kicked out.

Quote:
Didn't realise how incensed people were by Getaway. He is coming across as a pick-up artist, which is an interesting kind of peril for Transformers. I'm guessing Cyclonus is going to be stirred into doing something about him at some point.
Yeah, I mean I get it's intentional and is obviously heading for a payoff, it's just an odd direction to go in.

Quote:
Here's a neat thing I've read abroad - I hadn't quite grasped the significance of Megatron having the time machine because hey, what is he going to do? But that means he can get into the Functionist Universe. It also means he might go looking for Terminus. That would be cool.
Would it work as a full time machine without the other briefcases? Presumably by itself it could just muddle up time a bit like the ALL one did when Nightbeat opened it. Which could still be useful.

I did like Chromedome acting as Brainstorm's defence (though Brainstorm trying to drop Rewind up it with him sitting there next to him makes him even more of a dick). Though surely having a tribunal made up of witnesses to his crimes is legally dodgy? Another reason calling in Maximus would have been a good idea.

How did Brainstorm get let back into Swerve's? Surely he's not the forgiving type?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 09:15 PM   #20
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
But it does exist! We cannot deny it!

One place this fell down was Ratchet seems to be forgetting the reason Drift got such short shrift was that he insisted upon it, otherwise Rodimus would have just revealed the truth.
I will concede that it exists but you'll never convince me that it matters.

Interesting point though - Rodimus may have told him in that pregnant pause. He's a git but he doesn't like being dishonest and is uncomfortable when withholding the truth.

Quote:
Yeah, I mean I get it's intentional and is obviously heading for a payoff, it's just an odd direction to go in.
Yeah, it's one of those things where it's interesting for Transformers. Having a cast that includes a creepy dude macking on the vulnerable member of that cast isn't a new dramatic device by any stretch but, as I say, it makes a nice change from BIG BADs. I don't particularly care that Tarn is amassing a new Decepticon army because, really, what is he going to do? But having a subtler and darker threat is more compelling because Tailgate could get pretty messed up by this. I mean, I know he just got better from having robo-cancer so I'm sure he'll be fine in the long run but it's something relatively different.

Quote:
Then again, apparently Empire retcons this to have him all depressed and broody about being kicked out.
He does change his mind a lot.

Quote:
Would it work as a full time machine without the other briefcases? Presumably by itself it could just muddle up time a bit like the ALL one did when Nightbeat opened it. Which could still be useful.
Good for parties. I imagine there will be quite a gap between time-travel hijinx so plenty of time for Megatron to convince Brainstorm or a Brainstorm equivalent to help him reconstruct it.

Quote:
How did Brainstorm get let back into Swerve's? Surely he's not the forgiving type?
He is, though, the desperate type.