• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2015-08-25, 09:50 PM   #221
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
If that was intended as a reference, you got it backwards...
Did I? Maybe go back and watch the episode again.

SPOILER! (select to read)
I did, but with any luck I've made someone rewatch that episode and suffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Yeah, I can't really judge where my dislike of the toy starts and my dislike of Ironhide ends.
Mmmm. Never liked the G1 guy or even really got why anyone else does. Even in his finer moments in the comic (Target, Earthforce) he's pretty much just a generic Autobot - if it had been Smokescreen or Tracks digging up Megatron no-one would have gone "hey, what gives, that would've been a great bit for Ironhide". TBH when I see/hear Ironhide out of any context I think of the black pickup with the arm-cannons.

Quote:
Bumblebee gets away with being small because... well, he's Bumblebee. If other minibots try to justify the price with crap accessories because they're small, they'll be screwed.
Yeh, it'll be interesting to see how T-T do the rest - it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see another Minibot mould for a while, though Japan has a lot less of a rigid pricing structure. Even reaching into minor quirks it's difficult to see what they could pad the other sets out with other than "yeh, jetpacks". A good compromise would be making the three truck guys a little taller, bundling something random (Sparkplug? One of those cartoon superweapons?) in with a reshelled Cliffbee and probably forgetting about Windcharger because pretty much everyone does anyway, poor sod.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 09:57 PM   #222
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Even reaching into minor quirks it's difficult to see what they could pad the other sets out with other than "yeh, jetpacks".
Multi-packs?

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 10:01 PM   #223
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Selling them singly without accessories but cheaper?

Ha.

I do feel marginally lucky* in that, as postage wasn't a factor, GoldBee felt like a fair price in relation to what I've paid for some of his bigger brothers.

And of course, he was a bargain compared to the Exhaust I got who was sat next to him.

*In terms I can convince myself I'm not an idiot.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 07:25 AM   #224
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Eh, price is out of the window really. Basically nothing in UK stores comes close to justifying the bloated RRP; I'm not going to beat myself up about paying 30~ for a nice toy like Bee when that's the same price as a terrible CW figure like Blocktimus Prime or Blandbolt. Size is an irrelevance, a hiding place for idiots who spend money on Fortress Maximus when he's got the articulation of a Micromaster.

I did think double-packs but that'd be a lot of engineering budget (and licensing) spaffed. Though I suppose Brawn, Huffer and Gears are based on generic cars, which might help. And all that crazy South American stuff would mean they could put out a repaint a month until about 2028.

Like I say, the best thing is that Takara have form for making the toy first and just putting it out at whatever price works (CR Build Boy, Prime Breakdown) for them when they're not particularly thinking about Hasbro; the two companies are probably more separate at the moment than they have been since before Armada in terms of output. So yeh, wouldn't be surprised by "vanilla" figures with a moderately lower price.

Old 2015-08-26, 12:00 PM   #225
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Multi-packs?
I could go with that, but how about some f***ing Decepticons for a change!?

Tetsuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 01:47 PM   #226
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Yeah, I can't really judge where my dislike of the toy starts and my dislike of Ironhide ends.
Yeah. No matter how good of a G1 Ironhide they make it's never going to appeal all that much to me, because G1 Ironhide is a nothing character with a terribly bland character model. No matter how good of a job they do it's still going to be boring.

Quote:
Like I say, the best thing is that Takara have form for making the toy first and just putting it out at whatever price works (CR Build Boy, Prime Breakdown) for them when they're not particularly thinking about Hasbro; the two companies are probably more separate at the moment than they have been since before Armada in terms of output. So yeh, wouldn't be surprised by "vanilla" figures with a moderately lower price.
Generally I'd agree with that, but that's why the original MP Bee got under my skin so much -- it was clearly smaller and cheaper to make than Prowl or the like but they crammed in that half-assed Spike that nobody wanted in order to justify selling them for the same price. The lower MSRP on G2 Bee was a pleasant surprise but that's what they should have been selling him for to begin with.

Quote:
Didn't Takara claim that this was going to be "the year of the Decepticons?" I'm pretty sure that Exhaust and two Seekers that've already been done twice over weren't what anyone had in mind when we heard that...

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 02:20 PM   #227
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Still more than came out in Zone and Battlestars. Stop complaining.

Old 2015-08-26, 04:54 PM   #228
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Still more than came out in Zone and Battlestars. Stop complaining.
Well to be honest, those two lines had very few Autobots either - ones that weren't redecos anyway. And Battlestars didn't have any Decepticons at all.

EDIT: Except for Megatron. I can't believe I forgot that.

Last edited by Tetsuro; 2015-08-26 at 05:19 PM.
Tetsuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 05:49 PM   #229
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I'd love a bit of balance but... it's difficult to see what they'll do. Soundwave's done; Megatron's one where they've got a big decision to make over the alt mode (i.e. whether to go for scale in the handgun mode or not) and any market for Seekers scaled down to be a head over the Autobot cars has been throughly diluted by the milking of the original mould. Which leaves Shockwave (who has been saturation-bombed by 3P manufacturers like no-one else in MP) and the Insecticons who wouldn't really fit into the line's ethos thus far and maybe Blitzwing/Astrotrain (ditto once you've factored in zany colours).

The Decepticons sadly just aren't very MP-friendly. But it surely can't be too long before a Megatron in scale with MP-10...

Old 2015-08-26, 06:05 PM   #230
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Yeah, the most obvious car one that springs to mind would be Runabout and Runamuck. Considering that's basically one toy into two right off the bat there may be some appeal there, but they're probably a bit too niche for a brand new mould I'd have though.

Mind, with the range branching out into MP Primus, I think a T-Rex Megatron could be more than a possibility.

Old 2015-08-26, 07:12 PM   #231
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Leading to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post

Didn't Takara claim that this was going to be "the year of the Decepticons?" I'm pretty sure that Exhaust and two Seekers that've already been done twice over weren't what anyone had in mind when we heard that...
No, Takara never did claim that. It was a hopeless misinterpretation of a tranlslation that got a following before it was proved totally false.

I don't necessarily find the Decepticons as MP-friendly as the Autobots are.

The seekers are quick and dirty repaints of Starscream; no explanation there. Soundwave is iconic enough and has all the cassettes...few others share this combo of those two moulds.

Megatron and Galvatron are almost guaranteed [when is the big question], but the rest are either too big and unimportant, or too small and unimportant enough.

All MP cars thus far besides Bumblebee [and by extension, Ironhide] are hiding behind easy repaints/retools and very marketable alt modes, and has been stated in numerous reviews so far.

The Decepticons that can boast this and fit into smaller-priced MP releases are few or require additional tooling [ie Stunticons].

This could be turned around though; never thought we'd get MP Cars or Star Saber and Primal in the past

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 07:20 PM   #232
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Well to be honest, those two lines had very few Autobots either - ones that weren't redecos anyway. And Battlestars didn't have any Decepticons at all.

EDIT: Except for Megatron. I can't believe I forgot that.
No, you were right first time. There was no Megatron toy released in Battlestars.

Quote:
I'd love a bit of balance but... it's difficult to see what they'll do. Soundwave's done; Megatron's one where they've got a big decision to make over the alt mode (i.e. whether to go for scale in the handgun mode or not) and any market for Seekers scaled down to be a head over the Autobot cars has been throughly diluted by the milking of the original mould. Which leaves Shockwave (who has been saturation-bombed by 3P manufacturers like no-one else in MP) and the Insecticons who wouldn't really fit into the line's ethos thus far and maybe Blitzwing/Astrotrain (ditto once you've factored in zany colours).
Trypticon (lolrite). Some of the Scramble City teams. The blink-and-you'll miss 'em cassettes. Y'know, Slugfest and the other one. Overbite. Jawbreaker. Cackle. Whatever. Then there's the movie trio (I know their are 3Ps on the horizon, but it doesn't preclude it).

Oh, and what's the other one... oh yeah that's right I remember.

CONEHEADS.

(Really want MP Ramjet. Hopefully he'll come with a miniature horse he can nut.)

Old 2015-08-26, 07:42 PM   #233
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Thinking on Shockwave, would they even be able to do him as an MP? The toy (and therefore presumably the design?) is one of the ones owned by another company isn't it? Would that affect them being able to do an accurate Masterpiece rather than a general homage as most of his/"Shockblast's" other toys are?

Old 2015-08-26, 07:49 PM   #234
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
This could be turned around though; never thought we'd get MP Cars or Star Saber and Primal in the past
Oh yes... Up until only a few years ago MP was basically a joke with its' billions of Convoy re-releases, Megatron and not much else, to the extent that I'm mildly surprised the relaunch wasn't rebranded and/or renumbered.

But now... Star Saber especially basically shows all bets are off - huge non-licensed relatively obscure character with zero repaint potential - but the Autobot cars are clearly set to be the bread and butter of the line for the next few years, and that's probably going to result in rank & file Decepticons moving to one side. It'll be interesting to see how SS sells and how quickly he's followed up, mind - the reissue of Star Convoy back in the day was a clear toe-tester to reissuing the big later Japanese exclusives and that died; may be we see get the same phenomenon. It's always worth remembering that all those fancy Japanese exclusives are profile-wise the equivalent to Action Masters and Vehicle Pretenders for much of their domestic audience.

Old 2015-08-26, 07:54 PM   #235
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Star Convoy wishes he had the profile of Gunrunner or Kick-Off.

Old 2015-08-26, 08:01 PM   #236
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Thinking on Shockwave, would they even be able to do him as an MP? The toy (and therefore presumably the design?) is one of the ones owned by another company isn't it? Would that affect them being able to do an accurate Masterpiece rather than a general homage as most of his/"Shockblast's" other toys are?
Eh, my hunch is 'no'. I only half-remember but I think the Shockwave design was purchased outright by Hasbro at the time (hence the Japanese release back in the day; I think he was unique for not being a Takara design in the initial Japanese line).

It certainly wouldn't affect making new toys I don't think either way - Classics Roadbuster flies close enough to the original to have roused attention if this sort of thing was a problem.

As I say it'll be interesting to see how T-T handle someone like him who's been 3P'd so comprehensively. It's not like Springer or someone where a $20 mass-retail kid-aimed figure isn't going to suffer from a few sales bled off by Warbot Defender; people are less likely to import if he's five, six times that and they've already spent $200 or something on an alternative. I wonder how much they're factoring in overseas orders? Is it 1% of their business for MPs? 10%? 50%?

Old 2015-08-26, 08:02 PM   #237
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Star Convoy wishes he had the profile of Gunrunner or Kick-Off.
I suspect the reissue only sold to people who wanted Micromaster Hot Rod. There're probably hundreds on ebay without MiniRod right now.

Old 2015-08-26, 08:05 PM   #238
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
The Decepticons sadly just aren't very MP-friendly. But it surely can't be too long before a Megatron in scale with MP-10...
Galvatron is the most obvious omission for me. Megatron I can understand because of the triple-barrelled problem of scaling the alt-mode, actually engineering the thing to be not-terrible and not being able to count on amortizing the design costs with a later Hasbro release. But with both a Rodimus and a Magnus in the MP line Galvatron would seem like a no-brainer.

In general though, almost all the 'Cons that people might want would land in the larger, MP-10 size bracket and that makes it a lot harder to get them made. Plus you've got the hidebound Japanese "bad guys don't sell!" mentality working against them.

I do wish they'd do a smaller Seeker mold, if only because the first one really isn't any good, but like you say they seem to be really committed to making every cent they can off of the old one.

Quote:
Yeah, the most obvious car one that springs to mind would be Runabout and Runamuck. Considering that's basically one toy into two right off the bat there may be some appeal there, but they're probably a bit too niche for a brand new mould I'd have though.
Those two are actually two completely different cars actually, so it would be at least as tough as getting a Cliffjumper from Bumblebee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
No, Takara never did claim that. It was a hopeless misinterpretation of a tranlslation that got a following before it was proved totally false.
Good to know!

Quote:
Absolute worst-case scenario, they'd have to get a licence from ToyCo. But they've actually got a working relationship with them (apparently ToyCo made some TF:Prime-branded stuff?) so it's probably not an unclearable hurdle.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 08:17 PM   #239
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Cool info on Shockwave peeps.

The complete absence of Cone Heads despite the seeker toy clearly being the workhorse of the range (and it's put out with enough frequency to suggest it's a steady seller even now) still amazes me. I get putting on a new head and wings (though with the wings they'd have probably gotten away with leaving them the same if they'd done it with the original seeker and the accent on "Realism") adds to the cost more than painting Starscream green, but Ramjet would have to sell better than Acid Storm and he at least has the extra repaint potential with the G2 scheme.

The way it's going we'll see a Starscream based on the one in Blitzwing's colours on the cover to the first part of Decepticon Dam-Busters before Thrust.

On Galvatron, as well as his name recognition (the film characters are probably the last in the line that feel like an automatic shoe-in for the range as it is now) the fact he's instantly got two colour schemes that he could be released in and likely sell well in both-indeed, I could see people buying both-- makes his absence to date even odder.

Old 2015-08-26, 08:26 PM   #240
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Aye they already reworked the jet mould once to make it cartoon accurate. I know that the coneheads all have different wing configurations, but they can always reissue each one in some random colour scheme with a Googlewhack name slapped on and claim they're background guys who were just off camera on Cybertron.