• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2015-08-26, 09:05 PM   #241
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Galvatron is the most obvious omission for me. Megatron I can understand because of the triple-barrelled problem of scaling the alt-mode, actually engineering the thing to be not-terrible and not being able to count on amortizing the design costs with a later Hasbro release.
Yerp; as awful as the existing MP Megatron is it's quite hard to see what can actually be done about him. Considering the character's huge profile and the general acknowledgement that there's never been a good G1 Megatron figure (even the AM doesn't have the cannon!) the apparent lack of 3P alternatives says a lot for the engineering challenge. I personally would be okay with an MP-10 scale version with the G1 robot mode and a vague "Cybertronian tank" alt mode but I can see why it won't happen.

Quote:
Plus you've got the hidebound Japanese "bad guys don't sell!" mentality working against them.
Yeh, this is possibly the biggest problem. SoC has featured occasional villains but probably at a rate of 1:15 at best; even Gundam largely only gets away with "anti-hero" stuff and generally goes to great lengths to avoid outright villainising the other side. The pattern's already been there with Binaltech, Car Robots, the tail end of G1, etc. - any line where they just go ahead and call the shots without genuine co-production with Hasbro sees the bad guys get stiffed. In this sort of context Masterpiece hasn't done so badly, especially when it's worth remembering that the Autobots massively outnumbered the Decepticons throughout G1 anyway.

Quote:
I do wish they'd do a smaller Seeker mold, if only because the first one really isn't any good, but like you say they seem to be really committed to making every cent they can off of the old one.
AFFIRMATIVE; I would probably put down for the thing in multiples too. I'd personally have thought it was a no-brainer - Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker (cartoon/toy colours), Sunstorm, Acidstorm etc. would give them a steady stream of cheap repaints to intersperse with the coneheads as a retool (probably not much more drastic than that done to, say, Red Alert) would be easy money, but as they're still using the original I'd say it's not happening for the forseeable.

Quote:
Those two are actually two completely different cars actually, so it would be at least as tough as getting a Cliffjumper from Bumblebee.
Yesssss... and they're really, really nobodies in Japan. No Beavis and Butthead stuff, no shelf-warming original toys (IIRC they were skipped in Japan), no interaction with the pre-Movie guys... they're just a couple of chaps who hung around for a couple of scenes in TF2010.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2015-08-26 at 09:06 PM. Reason: I started every single paragraph with "Yeh" and it made me want to cut myself.
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 09:14 PM   #242
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Yeah, the most obvious car one that springs to mind would be Runabout and Runamuck. Considering that's basically one toy into two right off the bat there may be some appeal there, but they're probably a bit too niche for a brand new mould I'd have though.
I'd buy the living crap out of those two, but I'm a weirdo when it comes to figures. MP Seekers? Prime? Autobot cars? Meh.

Battlechargers? Kup? Roadbuster? Sign me up!

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 09:20 PM   #243
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
any line where they just go ahead and call the shots without genuine co-production with Hasbro sees the bad guys get stiffed.
In the interests of pedantry (that really should be my sig), I should (well, want to) point out that Victory is the exception to this.

Unless you count each combiner as one, in which case they're dead level if you ignore mailaways.

Though they sure as **** made up for it in subsequent lines.

And you could make a case for BWII but it really depends how you count the Seacons and even then the Flash Lio and Burning Convoy complicate the okay yeah I'm getting word from my producers that I should shut the **** up now. Here's the weather...

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 09:45 PM   #244
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
As I say it'll be interesting to see how T-T handle someone like him who's been 3P'd so comprehensively. It's not like Springer or someone where a $20 mass-retail kid-aimed figure isn't going to suffer from a few sales bled off by Warbot Defender; people are less likely to import if he's five, six times that and they've already spent $200 or something on an alternative. I wonder how much they're factoring in overseas orders? Is it 1% of their business for MPs? 10%? 50%?
I'd hazard a guess that Western sales don't make up too big of a chunk, else Exhaust probably would have been cancelled when all the big Western sites started getting hit with legal threats. But it's still probably an appreciable chunk considering how many hundreds of the things wind up over here. And they probably get a cut when Hasbro goes on to use the molds later, too, since it seems like Hasbro isn't chipping in on the design costs like they would with a Generations toy.

As far as 3P output effecting official Masterpieces, IMO it's not a simple equation. The popularity of the character is a huge factor -- a top name like Shockwave probably has better odds than a second-tier guy like Sludge. And the relative quality of the toys is a big deal too -- you're right that cost is a factor but part of why people dropped Warbot Defender so quickly is that the Hasbro Springer made it look like primitive garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
On Galvatron, as well as his name recognition (the film characters are probably the last in the line that feel like an automatic shoe-in for the range as it is now) the fact he's instantly got two colour schemes that he could be released in and likely sell well in both-indeed, I could see people buying both-- makes his absence to date even odder.
I suspect he'll pop up in the next couple years, now. With both Primes, Grimlock and Magnus all done, I'd be hard-pressed to think of any Autobots in the "big" size class who'd out-sell him. Jetfire maybe, but that's a bit of a stretch. PM Prime would probably do okay over here but I don't know if any Japanese fans actually care about Ginrai.

Quote:
Yerp; as awful as the existing MP Megatron is it's quite hard to see what can actually be done about him. Considering the character's huge profile and the general acknowledgement that there's never been a good G1 Megatron figure (even the AM doesn't have the cannon!) the apparent lack of 3P alternatives says a lot for the engineering challenge. I personally would be okay with an MP-10 scale version with the G1 robot mode and a vague "Cybertronian tank" alt mode but I can see why it won't happen.
The 3P Megatrons I've seen all seem to put all their effort into the robot mode at the expense of the gun looking terrible. Which is probably the right way to go really, but even then the results (while better than the official MP Megs) really aren't that inspiring. Personally I'd love an MP G2 Megatron, but since that toy only came out in Japan as Megastorm a decade later I don't think it's too likely. Which is probably why I'm so antsy for a Galvatron...

Quote:
AFFIRMATIVE; I would probably put down for the thing in multiples too. I'd personally have thought it was a no-brainer - Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker (cartoon/toy colours), Sunstorm, Acidstorm etc. would give them a steady stream of cheap repaints to intersperse with the coneheads as a retool (probably not much more drastic than that done to, say, Red Alert) would be easy money, but as they're still using the original I'd say it's not happening for the forseeable.
Assuming it was good and actually looked like the character model, I'd probably track down at least a couple. Right now I'd rather have a bunch of Classics Seekers than an MP, because even though the Classics Seeker really shows its age it at least gets the look right.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-30, 03:31 PM   #245
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

MP Thundercracker [Takara version] up for preorder at UK and US retailers.

No real surprise guys, mostly same price as Skywarp.

Despite Thundercracker being my favourite seeker, I am happy with the Hasbro MP11 version. No need to double dip or go for that ugly light blue from the cartoon in this instance.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-30, 09:50 PM   #246
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Some more Takara Transformers Adventure Line has been spotted on Amazon, including a rather nice voyager-scale Battle Grimlock... good use of the FOC basic design.

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...-others/33798/

http://i.imgur.com/QIabw3z.jpg

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-30, 09:57 PM   #247
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Those guys were announced about a month ago, with tiny pictures, test shot pics for this Grimlock.

Must admit it looks really nice.

Old 2015-08-30, 10:06 PM   #248
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I'm assuming the dino mode is still a hollow POS, though. Would be pleasantly surprised to find otherwise.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 07:24 AM   #249
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

That does look pretty nifty. And better than FOC Grimlock. Like the Stepper too

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 09:26 AM   #250
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Dunno, I'm never going to be able to get my head around Grimlock not being the classic green excavator.

Old 2015-09-05, 08:25 AM   #251
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

MP Ironhide is 10.000 yen before discounts [unsure if that's pre-tax or not], so expect around 8.000 or so yen at HLJ.

Details here

January 16 release date, preorders open either on September 11 or November 9th

Old 2015-09-11, 01:18 PM   #252
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Roll-up, roll-up, get your Masterpiece Clampdown right here.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/09/11/m...ampdown-301122

Old 2015-09-11, 01:23 PM   #253
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Not so much inevitable as surprising it's taken them this long. I look forward to them putting out the black version with the original head as...err... whatever Ehobby called the black one.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 01:31 PM   #254
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

DEEP COVER.

I'm taking this to mean that they're definitely going to do Skids and Hound next so they can get whatever those eHobby recolours were called out of it too.

Cross Cut and... oh, it was Detritus wasn't it? As it that wasn't just some piece of self-aware meta commentary or something...

Old 2015-09-11, 03:18 PM   #255
Warcry

I was super-excited about this until I looked at the pics and saw that they'd used the Red Alert version of the mold, with the ugly head and the shoulders with the stupid fake wheels. Wouldn't it have made more sense to use Sideswipe's parts for that, since Clampdown already looks so much like Red Alert save for some alt-mode paint apps? I know that it's not quite as egregious as the G1/eHobby toys were -- at least Red Alert's got a red noggin and a different shade of red to differentiate them a bit this time around. But still.

The mold would look pretty good in Deep Cover's colours too, wouldn't it?

Old 2015-09-11, 05:01 PM   #256
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Oh, but still, I've always liked him... But no. No fake characters, I'll regret it when I'm broke and they get round to doing Hound or Lightspeed or something.

Old 2015-09-19, 02:17 PM   #257
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

I can't seem to get the picture to share (but I am on my way out the door), but it looks as if we're getting a brand new Masterpiece Hot Rod.

Surely Megatron is just a matter of when rather than if now?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 02:23 PM   #258
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/09/19/m...e-works-301558

I'd expect Galvatron before another crack at Megatron, tbh. Especially with the Movie's 30th birthday.

Old 2015-09-19, 02:31 PM   #259
Warcry

A stand-alone Hot Rod that doesn't need to also turn into Rodimus Prime and his alt-mode would be a big hit, I think. That silhouette looks a bit blocky, but how much can you tell from something like that?

Old 2015-09-19, 04:12 PM   #260
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

YAY.

F*CK YAY.

Disclaimer---I love the MP09 I have [from our own Notabot, back in 2011], but this will not look silly in car mode next to Magnus.

YAY.