• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2015-09-16, 10:31 PM   #41
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
I mean why wouldn't you lock Warpath up in a cupboard and forget about him?
He'd still be alive? The Season 2 Minibots are basically all useless nutcases. I have a theory they were all in Autobot City Earth during the Movie and Magnus took one look at them and thought "we're not that desperate".

Yes, I know he's on one of Unicron's claw things. Everyone knows that. There are undiscovered tribes in the Amazon untouched by the rest of humanity that know that.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-17, 01:59 AM   #42
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

They were always there, just doing other things in and around the Ark and we just never saw them til then.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-17, 07:27 PM   #43
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I'm assuming the corrupt politician used Invisibility Spray to make the entire US government and legal system disappear so that the mayor of a small town in Oregon would somehow inherit the authority to sentence people to interstellar exile.

It would have taken a lot, so obviously he exhausted the supply.
IIRC the guy wasn't the mayor he was a crooked businessman that lost a bitter mayoral race.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 01:46 PM   #44
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Upto Megatron's Master Plan.

Obviously I remembered that Starscream was both pretending to be Optimus Prime and also one of the Decepticons who was saving the day, but I'd clean forgotten that there was actually no point in the narrative where they could possibly have filmed the unmasking.

Oh, Sunbow. You so craycray.

Of course the big quest is, given that it happens in Central City, why the Autobots needed to be about in the first place. Surely The Flash could have stopped the Decepticons. Unless he was too busy dealing with Backwards Flash or Negative Flash or Naughty Flash or whatever his nemesis is called. Corporal Chilly? I don't know. All these Dark Horse villains are the same to me.
I think the most telling thing is the Michael Bay remake makes more sense. Just let that sink in for a second.

Quote:
Which basically means the only possible explanation for where they came from is that they were being kept in a cupboard for the whole of season 1 and, at some point off camera, somebody accidentally opened it.

I mean why wouldn't you lock Warpath up in a cupboard and forget about him?
Wait, so all those people saying "Tracks was in the closet" were actually being completely literal rather than mildly homophobic after all then?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 05:53 PM   #45
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Okay, so The Secret of Omega Supreme leaves me with the same lingering question I always have when I've watched it previously.

Mainly why do so many people jump through hoops to try to reconcile this with the other Constructicon episodes when it's just far simpler to put this entire piece of shit in the bin and pretend it never happened?

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 06:26 PM   #46
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Okay, so The Secret of Omega Supreme leaves me with the same lingering question I always have when I've watched it previously.

Mainly why do so many people jump through hoops to try to reconcile this with the other Constructicon episodes when it's just far simpler to put this entire piece of shit in the bin and pretend it never happened?
I totally agree. Unfortunately, many fanboys (as well as Takara and John Barber) love nothing more than trying to patch up and justify terrible storytelling and continuity. One of the charms of the fandom.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 06:33 PM   #47
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Oh I don't have any objection to continuity-patching. If something doesn't quite work and somebody can do a straightforward logical in-fiction workaround then fair play.

But SoOS just flat-out doesn't work. It doesn't contribute anything worthwhile to the canon and can easily be handwaved away as Omega Supreme being a delusional lunatic. "Just this once I will talk like I did before the incident that made me decide to talk like this". ****ing seriously.

eHobby didn't even bother doing a "standing around doing nothing Decepticon" slightly-darker-red version of Sideswipe from the episode. Not even eHobby give a toss about the episode. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Old 2015-09-18, 06:37 PM   #48
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Mmmmmm, how about MP-12D Darker Red Lazy Decepticon Sideswipe? I may be tempted.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 08:03 AM   #49
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

I don't know who's stupider. Alpha Trion for giving Elita One a "special power" that she can't use because it'll kill her; or Elita One for using it despite the fact that the only thing Trion ever says to her is "remember never to use your special power".

This episode can go in the bin too. It's not even necessary for knowing who the characters are when they crop up later on.

I'm definitely drawing up my own abridged season 2 running order when I'm finished.

Old 2015-09-19, 09:35 AM   #50
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

...and the next time we see Alpha Trion, they'd discarded the whole "mystical recluse" angle and the Decepticons have no trouble finding his workshop which is now an even bigger mess than Wheeljack's.

To be fair, it does sound like Hasbro's meddling didn't exactly make trying to maintain some kind of continuity easy.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 11:24 AM   #51
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

Yeah, evil Hasbro, insisting on Alpha Trion and Moonracer being plugged.

Scripts being written concurrently, the rush to get to 65 episodes regardless of quality and none of the writers giving a shit is probably a bigger factor than any Hasbro mandate.

Old 2015-09-19, 12:02 PM   #52
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
I'm definitely drawing up my own abridged season 2 running order when I'm finished.
  • Auto-Beserk
  • Skids saying "Robotic insecticide?!?"
  • That bit in "Revenge of Bruticus" where Prime's holding two guns.
Then the film until Starscream dies, then any Season 3 episodes with pre-Movie guys in speaking roles, then The Rebirth because it's shorter that the Japanese stuff, then Wages of Fear.

Old 2015-09-19, 12:07 PM   #53
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Huge part of me thinks that there's absolutely no problem with getting to Heavy Metal War, going "twenty years later" and just sticking the movie on...

Old 2015-09-19, 12:21 PM   #54
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Season 2 always had this mystical vibe for me - we didn't seem to get much of it with the likes of Hoist, Red Alert, Inferno, Grapple, Smokescreen etc. in it. Then the internet intervened and I realised they were just as annoying as the first lot in cartoon form.

Old 2015-09-19, 12:54 PM   #55
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele
Talking

Quote:
Scripts being written concurrently, the rush to get to 65 episodes regardless of quality and none of the writers giving a shit is probably a bigger factor than any Hasbro mandate.
And the mandate certainly had nothing to do with why none of them were giving a toss.

Old 2015-09-19, 01:11 PM   #56
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

Not buying it. Story editors not having time to do detailed passes of the script is an entirely different problem to having a cast list.

It's an issue that exists in pretty much all cartoons from that era. Get to 65 episodes so it can be syndicated, make sure they all end on a reset so that they can be aired out of order.

Where continuity is necessary, all it needs is for the script co-ordinators to be paying attention so that, if episodes are re-ordered, they at least don't contradict one another. The schedule is the thing that stops that being done, rather than Hasbro saying "hey could you introduce the Aerialbots at some point".

If you want an example of how this can turn out far, far worse under the same conditions then I'm sure Cliffy can walk you through the equivalent series advertising the Gobots.

Old 2015-09-19, 01:49 PM   #57
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele
Red face

I dunno, I just kind of imagine that they came up with character concepts like the ones introduced in Search for Alpha Trion, only for Hasbro to suddenly issue a mandate that requires them to introduce story elements that fly right in the face of what they'd try to establish previously, so rather than trying to work around it, they just couldn't be bothered.

...but I kinda doubt that's the case with the Constructicons so in all likelihood I'm just making wild and unfounded guesses here.

And I kinda liked the Gobots cartoon, too...

Old 2015-09-19, 01:57 PM   #58
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
And the mandate certainly had nothing to do with why none of them were giving a toss.
Seriously? The G1 "writing team" (chances of more than three being in a room at the same time during production = 1.8%) were a bunch of jaded hacks who shopped the same bunch of semi re-written scripts around every series to get rent money while they tried to write non-franchised stuff. The Donald Glut interview shows how little of a shit was given as to quality of the finished product.

Old 2015-09-19, 02:49 PM   #59
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Talking

I forgot how completely and ****ing awesome each and every one of the Combaticons' voices are.

Also I haven't seen a Dinobot in over twenty episodes. I hope they're okay.

Old 2015-09-20, 10:28 AM   #60
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Ha. Masquerade. Camouflage paint. Almost as stupid as invisibility spray, but not quite.

Rendered even more implausible by the fact Starscream of all people sees straight through it with no supporting evidence.

"I've waited a long time for this, Prime" says Motormaster who's only been alive for about a week.

[EDIT]
Right, I've got this mess down to 26 episodes. It's a sensible number, I could probably get it down to even more without much hassle, but as a multiple of thirteen I think it's fine. Obviously I'll have junked episodes you like and kept ones you hate, but I ain't answerable to you, so **** it.

Traitor
The Immobilizer
The Insecticon Syndrome
Dinobot Island, Part 1
Dinobot Island, Part 2
The Master Builders
Auto Berserk
Microbots
Desertion of the Dinobots, Part 1
Desertion of the Dinobots, Part 2
Blaster Blues
A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court
The Golden Lagoon
The God Gambit
Make Tracks
The Gambler
Triple Takeover*
Prime Target
The Girl Who Loved Powerglide**
The Key to Vector Sigma, Part 1
The Key to Vector Sigma, Part 2
Trans-Europe Express
Cosmic Rust
Starscream's Brigade
The Revenge of Bruticus
War Dawn

* just for Starscream admitting he's an idiot
** need to just trim down that last scene

Last edited by Brendocon 2.0; 2015-09-20 at 12:12 PM. Reason: It's either edit or triple post and what sort of monster do you think I am