• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2015-11-03, 10:01 PM   #4801
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
My Cynicus [May release] is not like that, but is not perfect either. His joints are a tad stronger but he is still flimsy and that pelvis panel that rotates around for gun mode is loose and will lean towards either side.

Hope you can get a decent one soon
Yeah, I went into this knowing the crotch piece would be an issue. However I did not expect his hips to be so loose they can't support his weight... I've not heard others complain about this so hopefully I've just been unlucky.

Evil Lord is really good fun and supremely articulated, but not without design flaws. The only significant one is the flimsy but ridiculously tight clip that attaches the jet front to his back. I'm sure that will snap in time having warped after a single use. My confidence is not helped by the wobbly pin attaching this clip to the jet front itself. In fact half the pin joints on the figure are wobbly. Fortunately that's not an issue except on the jet clip. And if you want pure IDW Overlord you'll be keeping the jet front attached to his back anyway I imagine. Sadly I want the G1 look so have it on his arm. Thankfully as the clip folds flush you can just attach with pegs for jet - it's a little less secure but frightens me less too. Having never been into his base mode this isn't a problem.

All that sounds worse than it is - he really is very cool, and is even more fun than THS-01. Better articulation and tighter joints too, and no need to swap out hands for transformation and holding weapons. Details and paint applications are amazing. A new desk favourite I think. (Just be aware of that flimsy clip if you buy him though!) Just need to find appropriate Deception insignias (I have plenty if stickers so some must do!).

Oh - and he does have partforming elements (ramps/leg armour and other bits and bobs), but I fully expected that given G1 toy, scale and design.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 09:06 AM   #4802
Flimflammery
Micromaster

Abingdon, UK

I purchased Generations Whirl from Toys r Us on the weekend, and I see what people mean about the dodgy knee joints. I may well try to do the recommended fix, but first of all, how does one go about sliding his thighs off? Very much a novice at this I'm afraid...

Flimflammery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 04:42 PM   #4803
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

It's been ages since I took mine apart, but I'm pretty sure that the mid-thigh joint just slid apart with a little bit of force when I pushed the bottom half out to the side.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 04:35 AM   #4804
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Granted the instructions are poor, but either they or Leo Dux's box says what type and that they weren't included due to import regulations in some countries. I have a note to pick some upon whenever I find myself somewhere with a good selection of batteries.
I had to go back and look after you said this. It's not in the instructions at all, but it is mentioned on the back of the box. Hadn't noticed that before, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Space Case is definitely cool.
Yeah, I actually have the three Cyber Jets on your want list and briefly considered trading them to you, but after playing with them a bit I concluded that it'd be a waste of time since I'd just hunt them down again. Because they're awesome.

Quote:
Robot Masters Optimus Primal is fantastic!
It took you this long to find that out? The Robotmasters Lio Convoy is also a straight improvement on the original (hence why I sold the big one years ago), but it's become kind of pricey in the decade since its release. The RM Starscream hasn't aged very well given the generally wider availability and all around better-ness of the Classics mold, but of course Classics wasn't a thing when it came out. Convoy is still simple fun, though.

Robotmasters was a fun little line, wasn't it?

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 11:36 AM   #4805
Flimflammery
Micromaster

Abingdon, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
It's been ages since I took mine apart, but I'm pretty sure that the mid-thigh joint just slid apart with a little bit of force when I pushed the bottom half out to the side.
Thanks; I have tried that previously to my last post, no luck so far, but perhaps I just wasn't giving the necessary amount of force. I'll give it another go.

Flimflammery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 12:03 PM   #4806
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Masterpiece Tracks

Couple of caveats; firstly, I'm not crazy about Tracks. Not the original, not the character, not the design. Whether this means I'm going to be hard or soft on him I dunno. Secondly, I like objectively good toys; I don't do the "hey, this didn't cost me a fortune so it's flaws are okay" thing or the "oh well, at least he's in the background of TF:FPCR so that's another Lost Lighter for me" thing. The line's called Transformers Masterpiece, not Transformers I Have A Low Quality Threshold.

So, Tracks is actually a bit of a miss. Disclaimer that I've transformed him once while toddler-juggling so might have missed a couple of minor steps on the colossally shit instructions (which think that everyone's going to turn him into the ****ing flying car on the way from car to robot every time; no-one is going to do this).

• He's gappy and floppy. The backpack just doesn't mount well at all, just being a hollow box hanging off his back like something from Classics or some other percentage line. There's a joint in there that only bends one way, forcing the thing up his back. Takara seem to have cheated like **** for the box-front picture. The head doesn't actually rest on anything, just floating on a little panel above a fairly hollow chest.
  • The legs are a disaster, complete with no ankles. Think MP Sideswipe but with a gap.
  • He has weird floating shoulders which interfere with and are interfered with by his wings.
  • He's ****ing grey because Takara are pricks who can't tell the difference between colours done so ink lines show up on animation cels rather than actual colour choices. Fine for some version of Grimlock no-one is going to buy, bit more annoying on a main-line figure.
  • That side door cheat is probably the most painful and unneccessary bit of cheat engineering on MP to date.
  • His launchers are hilarious. Think the Datsun launchers. Then divide that by fan overreaction to the Datsun launchers, then divide by pi. That's how tiny and silly Tracks' launchers look.
  • The package as a whole is rubbish and lazy; Raoul is a little statuette when a poseable figure like MP-10 Spike would have been cool. He doesn't even seem to be able to carry Blaster. So while both are freebies this does make them a bit pointless; Blaster'll look okay resting on a shelf in Prime's trailer; Raoul has no use. Oh, and there's a stand for the flying car mode you'll never use and they haven't even bothered making it clear.
So yeh, overall pretty poor from first impressions. Downscale him 80% and he'd make an okay Generations toy with all the faults that entails, and at he's not an unconvincing Wheeljack recolour so at least you're not actually letting a multinational company piss in a glass and tell you it's champagne. But as a Masterpiece he's nothing more than a disappointing shelf-filler for completists.

EDIT: Oh, and the detail lines on his face make him look like he's crying like a chibi in a substandard anime.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 12:25 PM   #4807
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Wow.

I am a Tracks fan, and love Corvettes. Even so, I sat on the fence with MP Tracks - the photos did not convince me. I decided to wait and see what the actual figure was like. Sounds like I made the right call there!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-11-05, 12:27 PM   #4808
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Felt even the Corvette was undermined slightly by the obvious massive wings right underneath the floor.

Old 2015-11-05, 12:41 PM   #4809
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
He has weird floating shoulders which interfere with and are interfered with by his wings.
The spindly shoulder joints (if you can even call them joints) are really what leapt out at me from the picture you put on bookface.

Well, that and the fact I had an email from TFS yesterday telling me they're not allowed to post them out until the 7th yet you've already got yours. That's what leapt out at me first, tbpfh.

From the pics you've done and that review he seems massively disappointing. I mean he looks/sounds passable, but as you say you want a bit more than passable from something that's self-applying the term Masterpiece.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 05:19 PM   #4810
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

The shoulders are really iffy... they just sort-of come up out of the top of the torso. He looks pretty good from a 3/4s angle but you get any sort of elevation in there and ouch; all the box photos and stock pictures are shot from a floor-level angle. I can see why because that's how the figure looks half-decent but it makes it difficult to see if I'm going wrong.

The official pictures also seem to just have the backpack unpegged and floating there to try and hide how awful it looks; the instructions seem to tally with how I've got him. Even for MP with its' emphasis on how both modes look rather than fun factor the transformation is pretty counter-intuitive. The worst thing is that I can see something which would sort the whole backpack issue at least out; it's obvious to the point where I'm thinking manufacturing error.

I'd love to hear that I'm transforming him wrong or something because I spent forty-five quid on the sod. Mine was apparently dispatched Monday btw but I'd probably best not say where from if I have somehow got it early (different place from you though).

I would say without reservation that it's easily, easily the worst mould of MP V2.0. That there are so many flaws really adds to it being baffling that a relatively unloved character has been forefronted in the range; all I can think of is hold-ups for licensing for the likes of Jazz and Hound, trying to 'save' a few recognisable characters or some sort of licence with GM that's not far off expiry.

Old 2015-11-05, 06:23 PM   #4811
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Yeah, I actually have the three Cyber Jets on your want list and briefly considered trading them to you, but after playing with them a bit I concluded that it'd be a waste of time since I'd just hunt them down again. Because they're awesome.
Yeah, I'm actually super pissed at myself because the same guy had a Skyjack and Strafe that I didn't buy (he also had a Hooligan but it looked broken). At the time I was all, "I don't really want more mold-duplicates, do I?", but the Cyberjets might just be three of my favourite molds ever, so the answer really should have been a resounding "yes". Especially since they're small, simple toys that'll be great fodder for introducing my little guy to TFs in a few years' time.

Frankly, I could buy all thirteen of the different decos they tossed on the molds and still not have enough of them.

Quote:
It took you this long to find that out?
I've actually never seen one before, and I was a student of the poor variety when the RMs came out so I couldn't do much in the way of import buying. Always wanted one, but it wasn't a huge priority because I was such a big fan of the original, bigger mold. Didn't actually figure that the RM would be any better, but I'm happy to be surprised.

Quote:
The Robotmasters Lio Convoy is also a straight improvement on the original (hence why I sold the big one years ago), but it's become kind of pricey in the decade since its release. The RM Starscream hasn't aged very well given the generally wider availability and all around better-ness of the Classics mold, but of course Classics wasn't a thing when it came out. Convoy is still simple fun, though.
Yeah, Lio Convoy is the other guy from the line that I'd be really happy to get my hands on one day, even though my reaction to him will probably be the same "wow this is so good why can't it be just a bit taller?" BW Megatron also looks pretty cool, though.

For RM Starscream...yeah. Considering how much people (including me) loved the look of the thing when it first came out, it's hilarious how quickly it got trumped and replaced. Especially since the Classics toy, while definitely better, isn't actually all that great.

Quote:
Robotmasters was a fun little line, wasn't it?
Primal's actually the first proper RM figure I own (I did used to have a KO Victory Saber, like probably half of the people in this thread at one point), but if he's an indication of the quality of the rest, then for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimflammery View Post
Thanks; I have tried that previously to my last post, no luck so far, but perhaps I just wasn't giving the necessary amount of force. I'll give it another go.
I'll take another look at mine tonight to see if maybe I'm mistaken.

Quote:
Masterpiece Tracks
Well, now I'm pretty happy that I skipped over that preorder.

Sadly I think my massive pessimism re: what would happen if they ever changed designers on the carbots has been proven true if Tracks is this bad, considering how poor Ironhide and Hot Rod look just from photos...

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 06:51 PM   #4812
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

A few dark and blurry snaps of the weaknesses on Tracks, hopefully at least showing the things shill reviews probably won't.

Old 2015-11-05, 06:53 PM   #4813
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

That looks shit

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 08:48 PM   #4814
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

I think whoever took the official pictures deserves some sort of award.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 09:22 PM   #4815
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

More wow.

That really looks awful!

Tracks, Ironhide and now Hot Rod are damaging my faith in Masterpiece. It used to be a masterpiece line but these guys all seem either rushed, subject to corner cutting, or just plain bad design work. Real shame after such a good run of great figures.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-11-05, 10:16 PM   #4816
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh; been fooling with him a bit more and still not found any fixes. The central bar behind his chest really, really looks like it should fold in so the backpack will clip into the back of the torso rather than just floating there but it simply won't go. The shoulders seem to have been designed on the principle that the wheels hide the shoddy engineering from dead-on too.

Most of it's pretty inexcusable; you're right in that he feels like a rush-job - like they barrelled down the wrong alley and just didn't have the time/money to go back to square 1 and start again. The way the box pictures and the like are shot really leads me to believe T-T knew they'd produced a turkey.

And good God does that Sunbow-inspired yellow square around the Autobrand look crap; that one can be remedied by rotating it and just applying a sticker at least.

I'm onboard for Ironhide as these guys are basically the only TFs I'm actively after so it's not costing much but yeh, it is a wobble. The thing is Tracks really did look to me like one of the easier designs to do, looking at the original toy. The flying car really seems to have compromised some parts of it, which is pretty idiotic.

Old 2015-11-06, 12:36 AM   #4817
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

That's too bad about Tracks. I think there've been a few lines that started out good, but took a nosedive. I hope MP isn't falling into the same pattern.

AoE Power Battlers High Octane Bumblebee - I liked the color scheme, but wasn't into the Generations figure, so I was happy to find this guy. The car mode looks great and rolls about as well as any car with the clip on wheels can. The transformation is like a simplified Prime Vehicon, with the roof of the car, bumper-to-bumper, folding into the legs.

The robot mode isn't proportioned as well as Prime Vehicon, though. He's got huge lower legs, short torso & arms, and a tiny head. It's like he's designed in forced perspective to look bigger when viewed from below.

The Power Battler gimmick (squeezing his legs makes him stick out his shoulder cannon) works great, but means he has no other articulation. Most other PBs at least have normal shoulder joints in the non-gimmick arm. This guy's a statue.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2015-11-06 at 02:47 AM.
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 07:38 AM   #4818
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

@Cliffy

Sorry to hear about Tracks. He does look badly designed. Those "ankles"!!! I was put off early by the titchy (and hollow) missiles next to the ginormous wings. The designer just didn't get the balance right, imo. The Corvette looks quite nice though.

I'm interested in your views on Ironhide, from what we've seen. I'd love an MP Ironhide (and Ratchet), but so far I'm not convinced. The crotch area looks weird (I believe it is dead on Sunbow, so, um, yay?), and the red hip panels are too large to ignore. It sounds like you're still pressing ahead with buying him though. Do you expect a return to form (the Datsuns and Wheeljack are wonderful), or do you expect another fiasco like Tracks?

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 08:54 AM   #4819
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
The thing is Tracks really did look to me like one of the easier designs to do, looking at the original toy. The flying car really seems to have compromised some parts of it, which is pretty idiotic.
Yeah, I'd agree with you on that - Tracks should have been quite simple. Shame if the flying car mode has affected it so much! What a waste! Just being able to flip out the wings would do it, but I doubt many would have missed it if it were sacrificed for a better robot and car mode.

Ironhide was one of my fave G1 characters. The G1 toy was awful, of course, and Classics/Universe did a weird cubist rendition. I just do not understand the Masterpiece figure though - weird stuff with the robot is excused as being animation accurate (which I could live with), then they go and cheat with a massive 'weapons sled' which is ostensibly to be toy accurate. Bit of a mess. If he transformed without any leftover parts, I'd have bought him pretty much however crap he'd turned out. As I'd never display with a weapons sled though, he would lose his easy to pick up and play with value (as I'd need to store the sled away somewhere and dig it out).

I've played around with Iron Factory Evil Lord more now, and am really liking him. I ended up carefully bending the clip for the front of the jet so it was less tight. It's still tricky to get off gently though, as the clip is exactly as wide as the slot, but it allows a more secure jet mode and gave me the confidence to try base mode. Base mode is actually quite fun, for WST figures. Good detailing and paint applications again. But it's still pretty poor, like the G1 figure. I'll maybe take some photos. (Biggest issue is the pin joint on the clip on the front of the jet - it's too loose and so it takes patience to get the jet part sticking upright as a tower - and, of course, the tower is just the top of the jet on this figure, it doesn't rotate to show an alternative tower on the underside like the G1 figure, although it's impossible to say if that's good or bad.)

I managed to use the smallest Reprolabels Decepticon insignias on his shoulders, while I chose a silver outline insignia for the nose of the jet. This means at certain angles it's less obvious, so it's not as much an issue that it's upside down in base mode. It's also quite cool how it flashes into view. I did have to cut it in half and apply very carefully (three stickers later...) due to a wide panel seam moulded in to the front of the jet though. There are these moulded bits on the jet wings, painted purple, obviously intended as stand ins for insignias. Sadly there are no stickers small enough to fit on these - it's so close, but they're just slightly too small, annoyingly. No biggie though.

Anyway, I'd recommend Iron Factor Evil Lord as a cool little Overlord (he's about the same size as MP Bumblebee, but is heavier, weighing half again as much, so has good heft to him). Great articulation! But, with the caveat that there are production flaws, although the only major one that actually interferes with use (on mine at least) was that clip attaching the jet front, which seems to have been remedied by carefully enlarging it.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-11-06, 09:06 AM   #4820
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Ironhide was one of my fave G1 characters. The G1 toy was awful, of course, and Classics/Universe did a weird cubist rendition. I just do not understand the Masterpiece figure though - weird stuff with the robot is excused as being animation accurate (which I could live with), then they go and cheat with a massive 'weapons sled' which is ostensibly to be toy accurate. Bit of a mess. If he transformed without any leftover parts, I'd have bought him pretty much however crap he'd turned out. As I'd never display with a weapons sled though, he would lose his easy to pick up and play with value (as I'd need to store the sled away somewhere and dig it out).
I believe (but could be proven wrong) that the robot does form the entirety of the van. The weapons sled is just an extra thing TT are providing to store all the (actually rather nice and generous) extra parts Ironhide comes with. Personally, I'd have loved it if they had gone just a little bit further, and either given the sled it's caterpillar tracks (for G1 goodness) or scrapped it entirely in favour of a nice looking MARB. Ironhide and Ratchet would have looked cool zipping around on their MARBs.

Note: Definitely MARBs, not MAABs. /MTMTE

And the G1 toy is brilliant! Looks sod all like Ironhide, but as a weird little alien transforming robot - awesome.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote