• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2015-11-06, 09:54 AM   #4821
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

The fact Ironhide looks potentially dodgy from the pics, whereas Tracks looked ace, leads me to believe that IH will be a spectacular return to form.

All I know is I've got no guilt at having ordered Sphinx, Gundog and Sunsurge. I mean yeah, there might be a Mirage, Hound and Sunstreaker along in three-five years, but there's genuinely no guarantee they'll be any significant improvement on what MMC, Maketoys and Badcube are providing in the interim.

Sure, I'm probably going to lose a couple of fingers trying to transform Sunsurge back into a car, but at least everything's going to clip together firmly in robot mode.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 06:06 PM   #4822
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I'm onboard for Ironhide, TBH. I don't think he looks as bad as many have made out and TFs are always a totally different proposition in hand to photographs, for better or worse. MPs are pretty much my TF indulgence and I really can't justify paying double the price for 3P (Invisible was a one-off treat to myself in reaction to Smokescreen and what Takara are likely to have to do to Mirage). Plus I do like the way that the line's 2-3 moulds + redecos of varying importance a year, which is nice and sustainable without overloading me.

I'm pretty philosophical about both Tracks and Ironhide; neither are really favourites but I'm after the whole line-up and I'd rather Tracks was this bad and have a good Datsun mould in the bank TBH. It's not thrilling that the line is hinting at going the way of every other TF line (especially the adult-orientated ones) of a brilliant opening salvo and then disappointment but Takara have pulled off a few pleasant surprises with MP V2.0 so far and I'm up for keeping the faith. If nothing else Tracks has been a conversation piece...

As for the original Ironhide/Ratchet, I love 'em to bits, was very disheartened to find all the production problems on the Encore. Really weird fun robots; over the past 30 years we've had plenty of guys turn from minivans into boxy robots, it's fun to have some of the crazy early variety that the Diaclone/Microman repurposing brought with it. With animation-model accurate toys of most of them out now it's easier to appreciate something like Ultra Magnus the siege tower with arms and so on.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 06:11 PM   #4823
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Yeah, to be fair, while I have massive reservations when it comes to the Box Van Brothers and Hot Rod, they do look to have nailed Shockwave, so it's not as if all the upcoming stuff is horrific.

Old 2015-11-06, 06:19 PM   #4824
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Yeah, to be fair, while I have massive reservations when it comes to the Box Van Brothers and Hot Rod, they do look to have nailed Shockwave, so it's not as if all the upcoming stuff is horrific.
True.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 11:04 PM   #4825
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Yeh; been fooling with him a bit more and still not found any fixes. The central bar behind his chest really, really looks like it should fold in so the backpack will clip into the back of the torso rather than just floating there but it simply won't go. The shoulders seem to have been designed on the principle that the wheels hide the shoddy engineering from dead-on too.

Most of it's pretty inexcusable; you're right in that he feels like a rush-job - like they barrelled down the wrong alley and just didn't have the time/money to go back to square 1 and start again. The way the box pictures and the like are shot really leads me to believe T-T knew they'd produced a turkey.
While I don't have mine yet [and may even get him much later], one video review does show an impressive ankle tilt inwards, so there's something you might be missing.

It looked as is the gray panel that the feet are on can rotate inwards or something, but somehow the reviewer got full on ankle tilts.

Shoulders and backpack look like they are clipped on in your pics, I could see clipping points for all of them on the review but I don't know how much they help with the visuals.

I don't have much faith in Takara and the posing/photography of the figures as they clearly omit details/mistransform the figure to hide flaws. I still remember MP 05's glorious front of box picture...which completely hid/obscured the legs altogether

I'm having second thoughts about Tracks so far [and importing in general...a certain store in the UK seems to send them out to customers and get them in their hands BEFORE the japanese release], but thanks to the ordering system Road Rage is bundled with Ironhide on a non-canceling store, so she might just be my first experience with the mould...when Ironhide comes out in January, so I am reserving figure judgement for now.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 01:48 PM   #4826
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Might snag a Hot Rod eventually, and maybe there'll be a toy face black Tracks in the future... but not seeing anything to really excite with Masterpiece from what's being shown at the moment.

Far more interested in SunSurge and the fact that MakeToys are going back and doing individual Quantron bots, as I really like some of them individually.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 05:23 PM   #4827
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
It looked as is the gray panel that the feet are on can rotate inwards or something, but somehow the reviewer got full on ankle tilts.
They can go close to the "ankles" but only, as far as I can see if they go backwards, which makes the feet little stubs which IMO makes them look even worse. Really the grey shinpads should slide down half an inch to make the gap less obvious; I can't say I'm much of a fan of "side ankles" in general.

The instruction diagrams have me pretty much certain that I'm doing the backpack right; it looks like Takara's photography is taken part from favourable angles and part with it just plain not pegged in, which does look better from some positions. Again I'm at a loss as to why they bothered with all the rotating business and just didn't have it coming off his back in the same fashion as the G1 figure, which'd actually be less obtrusive IMO.

Basically they seem to have got every single decision on the guy wrong. It is possible to get a respectable display pose and angle on him but he's going to be at the back of the shelf in it and not moved much TBH.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-10, 08:14 PM   #4828
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Got a replacement MMC R-12 Cynicus from Kapow. Really excellent service. Apparently my original one with the floppy legs was missing a cog or something and just an anomaly. The replacement's joints are a bit loose too in fairness, but not so much as to be an issue given how light he is.

Overall, I am wowed by this guy. The robot mode is bang-on Vos, and so amazingly possible (especially if you don't clip the backpack to his neck). Paint applications are amazing. Shame the alternate head faceplate isn't painted, but I can't see it being used often, and he'd be holding it which would hide this fact with the spikes facing forward.

The sniper rifle mode is superb too. It really is incredible, and so far I've had Feral Rex and Hexatron holding him nicely (the former will stand arm outstretched with Cynic us in hand happily with no support, and I've not applied the friction pads to his feet).

Transformation is mindbogglingly well designed - really clever, as it must be to give those two brilliant modes. I love seeing where parts of alternate modes end up in robot mode and Cynicus is all kinds of fun in this respect.

However...

The complexity and small size of the figure means the transformation is tricky and more than a little scary. Most of the long thin parts are on ball joints, which is good, but it does feel like they could twist and snap. The clip for the backpack at the neck is very tight in particular, but that's fine as it sits secure without using this, which also frees up abdominal articulation (as the instructions point out).

Given all this, I don't mind the price for such a high quality figure at such a size. He's incredibly complex, and I can't see HasTak putting something like this out. I look forward to R-16 Anachus (not-Kaon).

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-11-10, 08:33 PM   #4829
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Music Label Soundwave, which I figured was the best fit for the Decepticon shelf... been a while since I handled one and he's about as I remember; overpriced to get one in the "normal" colours and a little bit lacking in mould definition. Overall a nice figure though.

Old 2015-11-11, 12:33 AM   #4830
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars First Aid
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Streetwise
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Rook
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Blades
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Ironhide
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Sunstreaker
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Mirage
The Transformers: Generations-Combiner Wars Prowl

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 03:42 AM   #4831
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Music Label Soundwave, which I figured was the best fit for the Decepticon shelf... been a while since I handled one and he's about as I remember; overpriced to get one in the "normal" colours and a little bit lacking in mould definition. Overall a nice figure though.
Overpricing aside, I've never understood why this figure didn't catch on in the fandom. Looks just right for a deluxe Soundwave, has great articulation, and is a WORKING. MUSIC. PLAYER.

I mean, really.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 09:11 AM   #4832
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Overpricing aside, I've never understood why this figure didn't catch on in the fandom. Looks just right for a deluxe Soundwave, has great articulation, and is a WORKING. MUSIC. PLAYER.

I mean, really.
Oh, I really wanted to get one, but didn't have the disposable income when it came out.

Plus didn't you need to buy a memory card separately or something (I may be misremembering, but if I'm right, that was the dealbreaker for my bank account at the time).

What are the prices like just now?

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-11-11, 09:44 AM   #4833
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:

I mean, really.
I seem to recall deciding that forking out that sort of money for a bulky 1GB mp3 player that runs off AAA batteries and needs a memory card wasn't something that "transforms into a smaller version of a toy I recently sold" could really tip the scales on.

And, on the flipside, having not-long sold my actual Soundwave, the gimmick of "transforms into an mp3 player" wasn't enough of a gimmick to justify spending that amount of money on a new, smaller, one.

I mean yeah, a Soundwave that actually plays music is cool. It's a great idea. But, at the time, practicality prevailed.

Old 2015-11-11, 06:30 PM   #4834
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
What are the prices like just now?
Less than FP headmasters or Spartan, anyway. It's just a shame the mould hasn't been bootlegged (as far as I'm aware) and in reasonable quality without the electronics. Maybe with a slightly sharper head sculpt.

Old 2015-11-12, 02:52 AM   #4835
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
I mean yeah, a Soundwave that actually plays music is cool. It's a great idea. But, at the time, practicality prevailed.
Oh yeah, I mean the thing was certainly not meant to be a primary music player. I think that may have been the largest problem... at the time that it actually came out, dedicated mp3 players were still pretty common as they hadn't been made totally obsolete by smartphones at that point, so the prevailing thought was probably to compare Soundwave to actual mp3 players. I think that that's maybe the wrong... angle? to consider it in. At that time, mp3 player storage capacities were still chasing the "I want to hold my ENTIRE music collection on ONE device" target, so the one gigabyte of storage compared pretty poorly even then. Now that we actually have that kind of storage (on modular SD cards in our phones, in the cloud, etc.), I don't think Soundwave's limited capacity is that much of an issue. It... works enough to work? and that's enough.

Though the price didn't help much, and that I understand. It was what, $50 or $60 in 2008? That was well before we as a whole got used to the idea of inflated prices for Masterpiece and third party figures. I think the figure would probably go over better now than it did when it was actually released.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 12:11 PM   #4836
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
...at the time that it actually came out, dedicated mp3 players were still pretty common as they hadn't been made totally obsolete by smartphones at that point...
Hey, I still use dedicated MP3 players rather than my smartphone.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-11-13, 12:58 PM   #4837
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Hey, I still use dedicated MP3 players rather than my smartphone.
Yeah, and today's latest iPod offers everything that the latest iPhone offers, simply without the phone functionality. That's a hell of a premium a person is paying just to be able to make phone calls with the same device.

So you could have an iPod that does everything, and buy a cheap feature phone for 15 with a battery that lasts 5+ days on a single charge.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 03:40 PM   #4838
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

If it's a smart phone without the phone then basically it's a tablet rather than "just" a MP3 player isn't it?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 04:47 PM   #4839
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Smile

I think the term tablet is determined by its size. I've got a vague memory of Steve Jobs or someone stating that anything over 7 inches qualifies as a tablet. Between 5-7 inches is a phablet and below that is a smartphone/gadget size (although I'm not sure if this smallest size has a name, as such).

I think Microsoft further consolidated these distinctions when they updated their criteria about tablet size; so that a manufacturer who made a product under a certain screen size could install Windows on their device for free.

You could argue they only did that as a way to muscle in on Android tablets who had anything under 10.1 inches to themselves, before the iPad mini came on the scene.

So I guess it remains an iPod in name, rather than a little tablet.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 04:48 PM   #4840
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
I think the term tablet is determined by its size. I've got a vague memory of Steve Jobs or someone stating that anything over 7 inches qualifies as a tablet.
Phrasing.