• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2016-04-14, 09:17 PM   #101
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Damnit Slag, you should have turned your sarcasm font on...

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 09:23 PM   #102
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I suppose all the flannel about the letters page is because, er, there hasn't really been one. Partly for the reasons you cite above, but IDW haven't done much to encourage letters. Even Marvel and DC have reintroduced those, having got over the 'no room for letters, we need the ad space revenue' thing.

I half suspect a regular page would have some variety to it. And whilst its fine to celebrate the 50th milestone issue! and I don't think anyone begrudges that, all we ended up with is a load of birthday card greetings messages. You might as well have printed out of context quotes in the vein of many a film poster.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 09:41 PM   #103
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Smile

No worries Dalek, I was being a total dick when I said that but at the same time I don't feel apologetic about it. Dave hit the nail squarely on the head with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
... the letters are so ridiculous that they make me feel like being less of a fan.
For the first time ever these letters knocked my appreciation of the comic. I felt the shudder of an outsider looking in, reeling with disgust. If this was the first issue of MTMTE I'd ever picked up, despite the story those letters would have put me off.

I love the work that James Roberts puts into this title with endless little nods, nuances and setups that take three years to pay off. He pays attention to everything (apart from Impactors power levels, ho ho). and I find it insulting to both him and us that IDW went full-on crawly bumlick mode for five pages!

And again, I think James is a smart guy; he might've picked out letters that entertain and challenge his storylines, maybe only printing the ones where he offers something thought provoking in return; perhaps a veiled clue or three? what Megatron thinks of Skids? not give it up for vanilla plaudits.

And I'd evidence that by the cool text stories that he doesn't have to do but does, maybe because he feels he's otherwise cheated us or his own characters in some way by editing them out of panel time (Max and Red on Luna 1 for example). Then there's the soundtracks to every issue and being an exceedingly nice & patient bloke on Twitter.

That's all got to be part of the fun of a world-building 21st century story writer. It must be great to have such a close connection with the readers. I guess Simon Furman and Budiansky never got to feel that.

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2016-04-15 at 11:16 AM.
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 10:23 PM   #104
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Lightbulb

Examples of letters I'd have imagined in a comic like this at hitting a milestone:

Dear James, congratulations on hitting 50! Can you explain why you killed Hyperion, a former Wrecker leader and probably a big deal, in the most anaemic way back in issue 2?

Wouldn't that be interesting to find out 48 issues later? Even if his answer was simply "for shits and giggles", at least we'd know. How many other writers would be audacious enough to kill off a Wrecker leader in such a throwaway er... way? They're supposed to die fantastically, just like in Pyro's dreams. There must be a reason!

Dear James, you once said if the comic was in danger of cancellation before hitting 50, you had an alternative storyline that could tie up lots of threads neatly. Now it's secure can you give anything away about this failsafe?

My god, I'd LOVE to know that one!

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2016-04-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2016-04-14, 11:00 PM   #105
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramon
While it'd be nice to have some back and forth [perhaps with Roberts? An editor] responses on them, technology has evolved since the 80ies and 90ies where I'd read debates on letter pages; that's what forums are for.
Nah, disagree. If letters aren't a two-way conversation you might as well be reading randomly ordered Tweets.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-15, 07:00 AM   #106
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
[Edited to remove all trace of Terminus].

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2016-04-15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 2016-04-15, 02:36 PM   #107
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

In terms of question asking (and all of Slag's suggested questions are good ones), I guess that's what twitter is basically for now. Why write in to a comic and wait a month for a reply when you can just ask the writer (or artist or whoever) directly and get a response that afternoon? It'd arguably be more of a waste of a one-off letters page than anything written by the people actually published.

As I normally go with trades for my comic buying, do many other titles carry them still or have they been completely superseded now? This one seems to have been done entirely off James' own back (with him selecting the letters as well, love or hate it, it's unfair to blame anyone else for it) as Ex-RID 50 didn't have one IIRC.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-15, 06:12 PM   #108
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Ex-RID had a creative team story so far instead of letters, 51 had nowt. But Twitter is the worst method for asking questions, because it's 140 characters. I had to super shrink down my "James, why do you kill off characters then bring them back because I feel it cheapens the emotional impact of the supposed death when they're up and kicking" question to "why did Cyclonus come back" and the impact is lost. A proper question and answer page every few months would be good, hell throw them in the trades or hardback covers, along with annotated scripts, etc. like bonus material on a DVD

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-15, 06:58 PM   #109
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Talking

If I could have one piece of bonus anything it would be a child's plush toy of Whirl replete with sharp edges and a pull string, featuring his wonderful comments:

"Look, this is my sincere face"

"The cheeky little scamp"

"Let's just say we were both in the wrong, particularly you, and move on"

"If I'd known that's the best you've got, I'd have said something genuinely offensive"

"Its a trick, pull the trigger"!

"No one cares, no one cares what you have to say"!

"Seven good-looking Mechs & Riptide just exploded onto the street. We need a good explanation"

"If Rodders & the gang aren't dead they'll be pinning their hopes of rescue on you and me. Mainly me".

"Note to self: don't beat up prisoners"

Ah, boundless Whirl love makes me happy!

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2016-04-15 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2016-04-15, 07:02 PM   #110
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I'd buy one

...unless it turns out to be one of those Funko Pop Vinyl things that have erupted like pox all over everywhere. Horrible things with black dead eyes (or have they just had their eyes gouged out with a spoon?)

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote