• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2017-01-15, 07:05 PM   #5641
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

TR Bumblebee: Yesterday, I got fitted for contacts after not wearing them for a few years. The really odd thing is I got a better description of how my eyes are doing from the place that did the contact fitting than my actual eye exam(looks like I need reading glasses soon..... Scrud I'm getting old). What they didn't give me was sunglasses so my eyes could readjust, so on my way home I hit Walmart to get some sunglasses. And while there, I found Bumblebee. Despite his really weird upper arms, I really like this figure. He hangs together better in vehicle mode than Wheelie does, and you can completely ignore his being a vehicle for Titan Masters.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 09:09 PM   #5642
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Armada Rhinox w/ Armourhide and Terrorsaur w/ Ironhide

Was on the old fleabay t'other night and these two caught my eye. I like the Beast Wars Transmetal moulds and the Armada colours are really nice. The rather more basic looking Mini-Cons aren't really a good fit for the moulds, but they're harmless fun. Best of all: now chrome wear! hooray!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 10:40 PM   #5643
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Always liked the looks of the Armada Beasts, myself. It's always impressed me how good the Transmetal molds look without chrome, considering chrome was the whole point of them the first time around. They don't always look better than the originals, but none of them look bad either. I've only got Cheetor and Predacon but I should really get around to tracking down the others one of these days.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-18, 09:14 PM   #5644
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I've only got turned onto them recently, Rhinox really caught my eye and he's fab. Terrorsaur is also pretty cool, but the colours are a bit mental. I'd given the Armada recolours short shirft, but I remembered you had such good things to say about Predacon that I thought I'd check them out.

Armada Cheetor has some nice colours on the go, and he's on my list along with Airrazor, but I might have to wait a bit see if some cheaper loose versions show up.

Picked up a Beast Wars Transmetal Rattrap Fox Kids Variant and he's pretty rad looking too. All orangey-red and bruise purple with bits of lime. I think I might like it a little more than the original (well, especially my original which has shed all the chrome from the tail whip).

Waiting on Predacon turning up, which I'm looking forward too...

Old 2017-01-18, 11:48 PM   #5645
Warcry

Armada Cheetor is in the awkward position of being a really nice-looking figure on a solid mold that is simply blown out of the water looks-wise by some of the other decos the mold has gotten over the years. So while I like the figure a lot, it does tend to be outshone a bit by the original and the Fox Kids deco. Still a lot of fun though, especially if you don't own the mold already. And it looks great lined up with other Armada beasts.

Predacon is one of my favourite Beast-era figures. The mold is great, it doesn't explode like the original, and I love the earthy colour scheme.

Old 2017-01-20, 09:07 PM   #5646
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Armada Predacon w/ Side Burn and Skid-z

Yeah, Predacon is awesome. The robot mode looks excellentin redish brown and dark green. The beast mode has a nice mix of dark green and gunmetal grey going on, but I'm really not mad keen on that wishy-washy pale green used for the beast mode head and toes. I notice that waist joint on Predacon is much more solid and ratchety than on BW TM Megs, which suggests that the waist mechanism on that earlier toy wasn't as durable as needed to be.

The two little Mini-Cons are actually pretty cool. They have surprisingly complex transformations for figures of this size (which inevitably leads to some joints popping off as there's basically Deluxe Class engineering crammed into a 2" figure). They look dumb as rocks plugged into Predacon, but I kind of like them.

Old 2017-01-21, 01:54 PM   #5647
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

CW Computron - Bought using the Afterpay lay-by system, in which I pay after I receive the item, although I would've preferred the UW version.

TR Triggerhappy & Blowpipe - Found a fresh assortment at a local Target, since the character is apparently more popular than I had anticipated I grabbed one immediately.

TR Kickback - Found him at my local Big W. This technically completes my collection of the remade G1 Insecticons, unless I decide to buy Thrilling 30 Skrapnel to replace my CW Chopshop.

Destruction is my specialty

Last edited by HeavyArms; 2017-01-21 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Changed entry
HeavyArms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 04:31 PM   #5648
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

About a week ago I decided to pick up TR Overboard (Overkill).

I had already purchased Crashbash (Squeezeplay) quite some time ago - and I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't wait for Overkill. Overkill fits this mold so much better, especially in T-Rex mode. I've paired him up with both Soundwave (since he was a cassette way back when) and also tried him on Triggerhappy. He works much better with the latter, as Soundwave's helmet design just doesn't work with other Titan Masters - he looks like a dude with a tiny head and a gigantic helmet.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 08:14 PM   #5649
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Talking

GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!

Badcube's version of Gears comes packed in robot mode! Which means if you just want a MP-scale version of Gears to stick on your shelf in robot mode, you don't have to fight through their longwinded and annoying transformation.

Today's a good day.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 08:58 PM   #5650
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

From a certain Brendocon of this parish:

A 3P MP Megatron as a considerably cheaper alternative to the new MP Megatron!

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...50618151563264

Brend had warned me beforehand he'd had enough sense not to try and transform it, but like an idiot I had to try and have a go. Got halfway through before it was clear things were going to break off in a way that couldn't be fixed. Besperate hurried reversal without trying to destroy the thing ensued (I did snap one of the arm struts off, but luckily it can just rest in place in robot mode).

But, as a giant Action Master, it's huge fun and for less than half the price of the alternative not being able to pretend to run about with a Walther is an acceptable sacrifice.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-25, 04:33 AM   #5651
Warcry

Wave three of Titans Return finally showed up here, and I grabbed...Hot Rod and Optimus? Blah. I'd figured they were something I might be interested in, but way down the priority list after I'd gotten the stuff I really wanted like Triggerhappy, Doublecross, Kickback, etc. So of course these two were the only figures from the wave on the shelf when I was at Walmart getting groceries. I'm glad I got them, but I do hope that wave three gets saturated around here so that I can get the others. Otherwise, every time I look at these two I'll be kicking myself for not going the night before like I usually do.

But grumbling aside, neither one is great but neither one is a disaster either. Hot Rod -- and it actually is Hot Rod again, not Rodimus, which is a bit of a surprise and something I almost didn't notice -- isn't really what I want in a Hot Rod toy, but modern figures never are. They usually wind up with a chest the size of a postage stamp or a torso that's as deep as it is tall. And it wasn't until I looked closely at this guy that I realized why all the modern Hot Rod toys are doing it so wrong: they're all emulating the transformation of the G1 Rodimus Prime toy, not the much better-engineered Hot Rod. The chest winds up being thicker than I'd like because the "hood" section is solid, not just a plate. And the chest is so thin because it doesn't include the entire hood. About half of the car's front end winds up on the arms, which just pull out from the sides of the vehicle rather than flipping the fenders 90 degrees to provide bulk. Now that I realize what's going on it's kind of baffling, because you'd think the 80s toys would prove pretty clearly which is the better approach -- Hot Rod had classicly heroic proportions and Rodimus Prime was a twiggy piece of shit.

This new Hot Rod suffers from both of the proportion problems I talked about, but it definitely scores more points in robot mode than the Classics figure, and honestly is probably about even with the disappointing new MP. But better doesn't mean good and at the end of the day it's still an anorexic with monkey arms and a spoiler you can barely see. Hot Rod's head design is also one of the worst you could have tried to make into a Headmaster, considering how round it is, and the end result looks like Highbrow or someone is wearing a Hot Rod mask. That's a lot more scathing than I'd expected to be when I started writing, and I wouldn't blame you if you think I hate the thing, but the car mode saves it! (Which is what I usually say about the Classics toy too.) It's slick and curvy like the show model, but with a less swooshy spoiler. Being able to mount the gun on the engine just feels right, as illogical as it is, and I've wanted an opening cockpit for his little buddy to sit in since I had the Targetmaster as a kid. I don't think it's a good toy at all, definitely the weakest of the TR stuff I've bought so far, but I can't deny that it scratches an itch for me.

And then there's Optimus. I'm not sure what to think of Optimus. I've commented more than once that I don't think that G1 Prime has ever gotten a good modern mass-market toy. The Masterpiece figures are great, and there's been some great retail figures of other Optimuses (Primal and Movie Prime have both done really well for themselves). But G1 Optimus (and Megatron, for that matter) has been getting new figures made pretty often over the last decade and none of them are any good. The Classics Voyager is a kibbly mess. The Classics Deluxe is a gimmicky mess. FoC Optimus is an overcomplicated mess. RTS Laser Prime is a runty mess. Same for FoC Prime. Combiner Wars Prime has the worst proportions I've ever seen. The new Powermaster Prime manages to be uglier than the original in every mode. The only one that's any good at all is the tiny little Legends figure. But is the new triplechanging Prime the one to finally break the streak? Unfortunately, not really. It's a fun toy to mess around with, but not particularly good.

The robot mode is a good start, at least. I'm not a fan of the chest -- the weird zigzaggy windows clash with the very G1 chest and neither look much like the actual cab of the truck he turns into. But the way the figure is designed, there's a ton of different options when it comes to how to configure him. You can pop up his shoulder towers for a G2 look, or leave them folded down for a more G1 outline. His alt-mode wings can be tucked away, or folded out to give him a "flight mode". You can also pop out some extra head antennae to bulk up his silhouette, or hide them for a more traditional look. With all the extras put away he has a convincing G1esque Optimus look, albeit a bit smaller than the average Voyager. With everything folded out he's definitely more imposing, but looks a fair bit more like Prime Optimus. The fact that there's such a variety of different possible configurations is a bit plus. Accessories are cool, especially the rifle that's designed to homage the original Laser Prime one. Articulation isn't bad, but loose joints are an issue -- he's a lot more fun to mess with now that I've slapped some polish on the ankles and hips to tighten them up. Aside from that I can't find much more than minor niggles to complain about, like how Prime would look better if his TM's arms were blue.

But the alt modes don't work nearly as well. The truck mode is very basic, with the cab and tanker molded in a single block -- not only is there no joint where truck meets trailer, there's not even and space between them! On a smaller figure it wouldn't be so noticeable, but on a Voyager it's pretty unsightly. Even more unsightly is the fact that the rear two-thirds of the tanker are painted silver while the front third is bare plastic. Either would have looked fine if the entire trailer was that colour, but mixed and matched? Nah. Having Diac drive the vehicle from a hatch inside the tanker trailer is a bit silly too.

Plane mode gets a lot of flak online, since Optimus doesn't usually have one and it's only shoehorned in here so the mold can (presumably) be used for Octane later. People have even gone so far as to remove it by detaching his wings and tail fins. But I honestly think that it's the stronger vehicle mode by a wide margin. The cargo plane's got a nice silhouette, and it's nice to see a flying alt-mode that isn't strictly meant for combat for once. The big downside is that, obviously, the front end of a truck is split in half and dangling under the wings. But you can make it look a bit better by folding the window sections back. It still looks like he's got arms under his wings, but that's better than half a truck, and honestly if I was okay with Classics Astrotrain this isn't going to bug me that much. But the fact that this mode is better than the truck is really a statement on how bad the truck is.

Tallied all up, he's a nice action figure but not a very good triplechanger. But then, how many good triplechangers are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Yeah, Predacon is awesome.
Told you.

Between the Armada beasts and the Universe redecos, there's a whole other world of Beast Wars figures that a lot of collectors don't know about. It's almost like a Beast Wars version of G2, wild colours and all. Didn't understand the hate that they got at the time, and I certainly don't now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I notice that waist joint on Predacon is much more solid and ratchety than on BW TM Megs, which suggests that the waist mechanism on that earlier toy wasn't as durable as needed to be.
I've never had the original, simply because I don't think I'd like it as much as Predacon, but I suspect you're right. Considering how it's prone to snapping there, I'd guess that the plastic they used simply wasn't up to the task, and even ones that didn't break probably wore down pretty quick to loose their "snap".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!

Badcube's version of Gears comes packed in robot mode! Which means if you just want a MP-scale version of Gears to stick on your shelf in robot mode, you don't have to fight through their longwinded and annoying transformation.

Today's a good day.

I feel like saying something about buying toys you know you're not going to like, but then I just bought that Hot Rod, so...

Old 2017-01-25, 09:09 AM   #5652
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I feel like saying something about buying toys you know you're not going to like, but then I just bought that Hot Rod, so...
Oh, I don't mind Badcube so much. They're sturdy with good sculpts, but they're just far (far) more complicated than they need to be in most instances.

Getting something in vehicle mode and cycling through to be rewarded with the robot mode is part and parcel of the TF experience, obvs... But I hadn't realised just how much I wasn't in the mood to deal with Badcube's engineering until I cracked open that box and saw him already in robot mode.

Will probably tackle the transformation at the weekend, but oh lordy the relief at knowing it's optional. Actually tangible.

I mean it's Gears FFS. Nobody's ever bought a Gears toy because they really want Gears. He's the definition of "rounding out the set".

Old 2017-01-25, 03:44 PM   #5653
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Missed this earlier because Warcry posted a yard of text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Brend had warned me beforehand he'd had enough sense not to try and transform it, but like an idiot I had to try and have a go.
My official response to this is "LOL".

Old 2017-01-25, 08:28 PM   #5654
Warcry

Quote:
I mean it's Gears FFS. Nobody's ever bought a Gears toy because they really want Gears. He's the definition of "rounding out the set".
Can't fathom spending third-party prices on something just to fill a space on the shelf, either. Especially on Gears of all things. He's a poor man's Huffer, at best. But then I'm sure I've used exactly the same logic on plenty of smaller, cheaper figures over the years so I should probably just shut up now.

Quote:
Come on now, it can't possibly be more than 30 inches' worth!

Old 2017-01-25, 08:58 PM   #5655
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Can't fathom spending third-party prices
Third party prices aren't really that much different to the legit stuff at the moment, to be honest. At least over here, anyway. Kapow's listings currently have Ironhide at 70, Anime Alert is 60, Primal is 90, Cheetor is up for preorder at 70, Grapple preorder is 130. The reissue cassette two-packs are 40.

Fanstoys' version of Skyfire is 180. Masterpiece Megatron is 170.

Badcube's Gears was 55. I can cope with that in context. Plus it's not like it's XTB - this is a sturdy piece with a decent number of parts and a transformation that'll likely take a week to get through. I may even grow to tolerate it.

My main collecting goal at the moment is to have the season 1/2 cast represented in the same scale. I'd be stunned if Takara aren't following Inferno/Grapple/Artfire with Trailbreaker and Hoist in that size point... the MP-39 Jazz rumour's been swirling for a while, so I'm in no rush to go out and grab any of the 3P versions of those characters.

Buuut I've not seen anything to indicate that Takara are planning any of the Minibots. The release schedule is currently slowed down a bit, so it's not really a hardship to plug the gap with the occasional smaller 3P piece. If Takara do trot these guys out, I can't imagine they'll be much cheaper (given the current economic state) and if they don't... well the secondary market price is going to be even more ridiculous.

I figure that so long as I play the waiting game for Takara to do the guys they'll almost certainly do, I can justify plugging the Minibots/Dinobots/Skyfire gap with 3P. Even if it involves buying the shit guys like Gears and whichever your favourite one is.

Doubt I'll ever be able to justify forking out for FansToy's version of Omega Supreme.

I also flogged off my TFC Hades and what there was of the Fansproject Dinoking, so my outlay on this dude is covered.

Old 2017-01-25, 09:00 PM   #5656
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Quote:
Come on now, it can't possibly be more than 30 inches' worth!
Inches? Yards? I thought most of you all were in Canada and the UK! USE THE METRIC SYSTEM!!!

Leave the non-sensical measurement systems to us Americans!

By the way, I was out yesterday and saw no new TR stuff anywhere

BUT - I found some of those new 'Alt Modes' figures and picked up Starscream for my desk at work! Neat little, but due to the auto-transformation, his legs are wobbly and he doesn't stand well. Pretty fun for a little desk toy, but I probably won't be buying any more at $7 a pop.

Also was out during my lunch today and found TR Kickback and TR Gnaw! Holy crap are these guys fun!!! Haven't transformed Kickback yet, but his robot mode is awesome. Gnaw is such a chubby little guy in both modes I can't get enough of him.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-25, 09:10 PM   #5657
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Exclamation

The length depends on the size of your screen surely? Brend's must be bigger.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-25, 09:11 PM   #5658
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

Quote:
Brend's must be bigger.
Giggity.

Old 2017-01-25, 09:49 PM   #5659
Warcry

Quote:
Third party prices aren't really that much different to the legit stuff at the moment, to be honest. At least over here, anyway. Kapow's listings currently have Ironhide at 70, Anime Alert is 60, Primal is 90, Cheetor is up for preorder at 70, Grapple preorder is 130. The reissue cassette two-packs are 40.

Fanstoys' version of Skyfire is 180. Masterpiece Megatron is 170.

Badcube's Gears was 55. I can cope with that in context. Plus it's not like it's XTB - this is a sturdy piece with a decent number of parts and a transformation that'll likely take a week to get through. I may even grow to tolerate it.
After doing a bit of quick research, your Gears would probably cost me $120 bucks after taxes and shipping, which is a good slice more than the last official MP car that I bought (Blue Bluestreak a couple years back was less than $100 all in, and was a bit pricier than usual because of the limited run). So there's still a price gap here, especially since Gears is probably closer to Bumblebee-sized.

But then I wouldn't spend official MP prices for a Gears figure either, so I'm obviously not the target demographic. Gears is in "maybe spend $10 on a Legends figure if it looks really nice" territory for me at best.

Quote:
My main collecting goal at the moment is to have the season 1/2 cast represented in the same scale.
Looking for scale in Transformers is the quest of a madman, but I hope you can put together what you need.

Quote:
Even if it involves buying the shit guys like Gears and whichever your favourite one is.
My favourites are mostly from '88 and '89, I don't think they qualify here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Inches? Yards? I thought most of you all were in Canada and the UK! USE THE METRIC SYSTEM!!!

Leave the non-sensical measurement systems to us Americans!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but nobody uses the metric system for anything here other than liquid volumes, and even then only because our gas and beverages are sold by the litre. No one in Canada uses centimetres or kilograms or kilopascals or whatever the hell else unless we're forced to.

It's kind of hard to indoctrinate new generations into using a different system than their parents when everything in the real world is build using Imperial measurements, from roads to cars to houses to sports equipment to staplers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Also was out during my lunch today and found TR Kickback and TR Gnaw! Holy crap are these guys fun!!! Haven't transformed Kickback yet, but his robot mode is awesome. Gnaw is such a chubby little guy in both modes I can't get enough of him.
Gnaw looks super fun. I may not be able to resist the urge to buy a small school of them.

Quote:
The length depends on the size of your screen surely?
That was the joke.

Old 2017-01-26, 10:40 AM   #5660
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
But then I wouldn't spend official MP prices for a Gears figure either, so I'm obviously not the target demographic. Gears is in "maybe spend $10 on a Legends figure if it looks really nice" territory for me at best.
The MP-scale bracket is pretty much the only TF line I buy now. It's easier for me to justify when I'm not weighing it up against "or I could buy two hollow Titan Master deluxes" or whatever.

Or I can fund it by not buying fourth-tier Marvel Legends figures

Quote:
Looking for scale in Transformers is the quest of a madman, but I hope you can put together what you need.
Robot mode scale is the key. Across alt modes? Never going to happen. The fact that scale regularly got ignored in the cartoon doesn't help. but it comes down to "yeah, close enough" at the end of the day.

Quote:
It's kind of hard to indoctrinate new generations into using a different system than their parents when everything in the real world is build using Imperial measurements, from roads to cars to houses to sports equipment to staplers.
Yeah, most people over here exist in a weird hybrid state where we're taught in metric at school, but our parents are still conditioned in imperial, so we flit back and forth between both systems depending on context. It's like being bilingual in a way.

I tend to think mostly in imperial. Our speed limits are all marked out in mph, road signs give distances in miles... football pitches are marked out in yards... people give heights in feet/inches. Metric is only really used if I have to sit down and measure something, as mm is more precise than fractions of an inch. Beer is sold in pints/halves, but if you're buying something pre-bottled then it's measured in litres. Petrol is priced in litres too, though people still talk in miles/gallon when discussing fuel consumption.

So yeah, metric is theoretically the default, but most of us actually USE imperial. Apart from when it comes to temperature. Because the fahrenheit scale is a nonsense system created by lunatics.