• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2017-09-04, 07:07 PM   #701
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Good news for anyone that wants one for a couple of quid sometime next year, anyway. The fad already seems to be dying down.

https://www.mlpmerch.com/2017/08/has...of-fidget.html

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-04, 10:16 PM   #702
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Incredibly work has had four magazines in on spinners. How do you fill four publications with stuff on them?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 12:37 AM   #703
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Hascon #1 happens this weekend, and they've put out some teasers. Looks like a Dinobot and HunGrr.

The sound you're hearing is Warcry squeeing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hascon-Second-Teaser-02.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	11684  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 01:02 AM   #704
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Dinobots, Terrorcons, Pretenders, Rodimus Prime...did I design this toyline myself and just forget doing it?

If Spinister shows up, I thing it's safe to say yes.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-07, 06:07 AM   #705
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Yay Terrorcons!!!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-08, 06:01 PM   #706
Warcry

Some pictures from Hascon:

Power of the Primes Optimus and the Dinobots!
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/h...se-pics-348335

Colour me impressed. The Deluxe Dinobots look a ton like their 80s figures, but with better proportions and articulation, and they did a great job hiding the fact that they're combiners. Swoop makes me sad, but only because they gave him a blue chest.

Grimlock looks miles better than the blocky, stiff torso-bots we got in Combiner Wars. He actually looks like he'd be an enjoyable toy to mess around with on his own, which I can't really say for Silverbolt, Hot Spot or Onslaught.

Optimus looks pretty close to what I've wanted from a Generations Optimus since they launched the line. He's still got a bit of arm kibble going on and the trailer is a little weak, but Combiner Wars and Titans Return set the bar so low for Optimus figures that this looks like a big step up in comparison.

And here's some more pics of stuff we've already seen, like Rodimus, Jazz, Darkwing and Dreadwind. Also some movie stuff, not sure if it's new or not. The HFTD-Terradive-as-G2-Space-Case really caught my eye, because it seems to be done in solid colours this time!

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/h...totypes-348019

No Terrorcons yet. I'm assuming at least some of them will be Dinobot retools.

[EDIT]

Pics from the TF panel.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/h...ets-eye-347982

Prime's got a pretty big backpack. Apparently his cab turns into Orion Pax.

Dinobots' combined mode looks kinda m'eh, but who's buying them to combine?

Old 2017-09-08, 06:19 PM   #707
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Sweet -- mini Slash to go with the Fansproject Comera one.

Might be in for the others -- Slag / Snarl / Sludge came out well, and Grimlock seems okay in dino mode as does Swoop. The combiner gimmick hasn't made them write offs.

Also a Prime that looks okay in robot mode, albeit the alt mode has really suffered.

Much more interested in Dreadwind / Darkwing and the Pretenders.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-08, 06:55 PM   #708
Warcry

Darkwing and Dreadwind do look good, it's just hard to get too excited about two figures that are retools of Aerialbot figures that I've already owned for a few years. But I do think that I'll buy them, since I am constantly saying to myself that I wish I had extras of some of the Aerialbot limbs so I could keep Superion combined and still have a couple separate to fiddle with. These two would fill that need nicely!

[EDIT]Official product images. With a red Swoop. Huh?

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/t...-hasbro-348404

Orion Pax actually looks like the cartoon design, and not just an Optimus without a faceplate. Neat.

Optimus and Orion both have window-chests but neither of them seem to be using the truck's actual windows. How the heck did they manage that?

Old 2017-09-08, 07:32 PM   #709
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

The Dinobots look alright for the size point, though the combined mode looks garbage.

Darkwing and Dreadwind look exactly how I'd expect them to look if you told me they'd done some half-arsed retooling to some Aerialbots.

The Pretenders manage to be even more LOL than the original ones.

What's the overarching gimmick of this Power of the Primes shizzle then?

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-08, 08:43 PM   #710
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
What's the overarching gimmick of this Power of the Primes shizzle then?
The Pretenders' inner robots (basically Titan Masters with no face) are all "Primes" that can be plugged into the Matrix holders that the Leader-class figures come packed with. The shells turn into weapons for the larger figures as well, and apparently the inner robots will be able to plug into the Deluxes and Voyagers somehow.

Honestly, it's a pretty weak unifying gimmick compared to what the last two lines had to offer.

Old 2017-09-08, 09:27 PM   #711
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

So you're telling me that Cloudburst is the Matrix now?

Best.

Toyline.

Ever.

Old 2017-09-08, 10:22 PM   #712
Warcry

No, no, Cloudburst is an empty suit of armour for some random Prime to hide inside, and that dude is the Matrix.

The best part is that the whole setup is compatible with Titans Return heads, so Optimus and Rodimus can carry their own heads around as Matrixes.

Old 2017-09-09, 08:17 AM   #713
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Ha! That sounds brilliant!

...wait, haven't I seen that Overlord can do that already?

Anyway! Chest faces! its the future.

Old 2017-09-09, 11:59 AM   #714
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
No, no, Cloudburst is an empty suit of armour for some random Prime to hide inside, and that dude is the Matrix.
Ah, right. Yeah, read that product info the wrong way round.

I prefer my version.

Old 2017-09-09, 01:16 PM   #715
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post

I still say they'll use whatever the third line ends up being called to do lots and lots beast combiners, though.
AHAHHAHAHAHA ****ING CALLED IT.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-10, 06:18 AM   #716
Warcry

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/09/h...reveals-348567

Primal seems interesting. Not really what I expected.

Random Femmebot is alright I guess.

Rippersnapper looks nice.

Hun-grrr is absolutely heartbreaking. Did they...did they actually make him out of Silverbolt? Because it kinda looks like they made him from Silverbolt. The beast mode is infinitely worse than the 80s figure, the robot is a poor likeness and I can't see the torso mode being very Abominusesque either. Maybe it'll look better in colour but right now I can't remember the last time a figure I was looking forward to disappointed me this much.

Old 2017-09-10, 09:11 AM   #717
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I like the look of Rippersnapper. I didn't think Hun-Grrr looked that bad, but you're right, not the greatest looking toy. Primal looks interesting, especially the Optimal form and Moonracer's just kind of ...okay.

Old 2017-09-10, 07:06 PM   #718
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Can you imagine how pleasant the rest of Hascon probably was while that dinner was on?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 12:38 AM   #719
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Hun-grrr is absolutely heartbreaking. Did they...did they actually make him out of Silverbolt? Because it kinda looks like they made him from Silverbolt. The beast mode is infinitely worse than the 80s figure, the robot is a poor likeness and I can't see the torso mode being very Abominusesque either. Maybe it'll look better in colour but right now I can't remember the last time a figure I was looking forward to disappointed me this much.
I've seen one pic comparing Hun-grr to a Silverbolt fan mode, and they look pretty similar, complete with bot-heels forming the lower jaws. I don't know if the fan mode was done before or after the Hun-grr pics came out. I just hope Blot isn't based on the Rook fan mode I've seen.

Hun-grr's bot mode looks alright. He lacks the original's round shoulders, which would have made him stand out from the other blocky torsos. The tail on the chest is new, but it works. The beast forelegs are too small, and the necks are too big. I like the spine spikes inside the flaps that cover the connector ports in the bot knees.

You can see a little of Abominus' chest on the inner bot legs. I'll miss the beast heads on Abominus' knees. It seems like a straight update of the G1 design would've been easier and worked better, though. Just add the Abominus chest to the beast underside/robot back, lock the arms in place in combined mode, and hide Abominus' head in Hun-grr's torso. Maybe make it a helmet that fits over Hun-grr's head, like TR leaders.

For the Dino limbs, it looks like they just took the G1 designs, replaced the Diaclone cockpits with combiner connectors, and added joints. Good. I'm less impressed with Grimlock as a torso, though I do like the T-Rex arms as shoulder kibble. Pics from the back show the shoulder holding Snarl sagging. Hopefully that means it's a prototype issue, and the release will have stronger joints to hold it in place.

Pics from the back also show Volcanicus' hands having two thumbs, presumably to help with limb swapping. I'd've prefered a single thumb that can change sides, like with HFGs.

Volcanicus' chest looks too busy, with the T-Rex head, hip joints, and spare hands all crammed together. Usually, gestalt chests look like a single, unified piece which offsets the inconsistent look of the rest of the figure. Maybe all the Dinobots having the same color scheme will help.

I'll get all 5 Dinobots anyway, just to have them as individual figures. I don't know how often I'll combine them, though. Maybe Dinobot shades of red and grey will make them a good fit for Optimus Maximus limbs.

Last edited by Tantrum; 2017-09-11 at 12:50 AM.
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 02:53 AM   #720
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Can you imagine how pleasant the rest of Hascon probably was while that dinner was on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I like the look of Rippersnapper. I didn't think Hun-Grrr looked that bad, but you're right, not the greatest looking toy. Primal looks interesting, especially the Optimal form and Moonracer's just kind of ...okay.
The thing is...Hun-grrr was one of my favourite toys when I was a kid, I still have him and even though he's 30 years old now I still think he's a great toy. So my standards for an update are a lot higher than, I dunno, Quake or Hot Spot or someone. And even just comparing the new figure to the official art it's easy to see how it could have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
I've seen one pic comparing Hun-grr to a Silverbolt fan mode, and they look pretty similar, complete with bot-heels forming the lower jaws. I don't know if the fan mode was done before or after the Hun-grr pics came out. I just hope Blot isn't based on the Rook fan mode I've seen.
Considering how they transform, I wouldn't be surprised if Blot was based on Rippersnapper, just boxier.

I have to admit, the first thing I did once I saw Hun-grrr was to break down my Superion so that I could try out Silverbolt's dragon mode. Wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Hun-grr's bot mode looks alright. He lacks the original's round shoulders, which would have made him stand out from the other blocky torsos. The tail on the chest is new, but it works. The beast forelegs are too small, and the necks are too big. I like the spine spikes inside the flaps that cover the connector ports in the bot knees.
The beast legs are pretty weedy, and I don't know why they'd put the tail on his chest when everything else in the line is so slavishly accurate. The dragon necks are what really bug me, though. In the original (and this one's art!) they're the same thickness throughout, which really helps them look like, you know, actual necks. But since they cribbed Silverbolt's torso transformation, his shins have to fold over his thighs, and the end result looks like some guy with a couple hand puppets.

Also really disappointed at the torsobots' lack of any real accessories. The Grimlock on display doesn't seem to have a sword or a G1ish gun like the limbs, just those scuzzy foot-guns. And the same goes for Hun-grrr, who's really going to look bare without the original's huge shield and big-ass cannon.

Quote:
For the Dino limbs, it looks like they just took the G1 designs, replaced the Diaclone cockpits with combiner connectors, and added joints.
A stroke of brilliance, that. I'd never thought about how conducive the original designs were to adding combiner ports. It barely even impacts their look at all.