• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2017-09-11, 06:05 PM   #721
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Points to Hasbro for giving the official Dinobot combiner a name that's somehow worse than every single terrible fanwank story that's come before.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 10:27 PM   #722
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I have to admit, the first thing I did once I saw Hun-grrr was to break down my Superion so that I could try out Silverbolt's dragon mode. Wasn't impressed.
If some kitbasher had done this to a Silverbolt to make a Hun-Grr, I'd think it was brilliant. As official product, it's a bit of a let down.

Quote:
The beast legs are pretty weedy, and I don't know why they'd put the tail on his chest when everything else in the line is so slavishly accurate. The dragon necks are what really bug me, though. In the original (and this one's art!) they're the same thickness throughout, which really helps them look like, you know, actual necks. But since they cribbed Silverbolt's torso transformation, his shins have to fold over his thighs, and the end result looks like some guy with a couple hand puppets.
The beast mode pic shows some stuff on the underside (I'm guessing Abominus' head/torso), which might get in the way of folding the tail there. The necks could work depending on the deco. Maybe they'll look like lions' manes, but made out of scales. I wouldn't mind larger necks, or smaller forelegs, but having both makes each problem look worse.

Quote:
Also really disappointed at the torsobots' lack of any real accessories. The Grimlock on display doesn't seem to have a sword or a G1ish gun like the limbs, just those scuzzy foot-guns. And the same goes for Hun-grrr, who's really going to look bare without the original's huge shield and big-ass cannon.
It'd be odd if the torsos didn't have any other accessories, since that would leave the combined form without a weapon. Maybe the Legends class figure is it, but all the CW torsos came with a pair of weapons that combined to make a gestalt weapon. Hun-grr won't have his shield, but that was just a way to make use of Abominus kibble, anyway. I'm happy to give that up for less partsforming.

Last edited by Tantrum; 2017-09-12 at 01:24 AM.
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 06:11 PM   #723
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
The beast mode pic shows some stuff on the underside (I'm guessing Abominus' head/torso), which might get in the way of folding the tail there. The necks could work depending on the deco. Maybe they'll look like lions' manes, but made out of scales. I wouldn't mind larger necks, or smaller forelegs, but having both makes each problem look worse.
If they'd made the thighs a bit thicker, I think the necks would look a lot more natural. The thick "shin" parts are about as thick as Hun-grrr's legs should be, IMO.

Quote:
It'd be odd if the torsos didn't have any other accessories, since that would leave the combined form without a weapon. Maybe the Legends class figure is it, but all the CW torsos came with a pair of weapons that combined to make a gestalt weapon.
Starscream comes with his null rays, so it's strange that Grimlock and Hun-grrr don't seem to have any normal guns of their own. But they're not in the pics so far.

Quote:
Hun-grr won't have his shield, but that was just a way to make use of Abominus kibble, anyway. I'm happy to give that up for less partsforming.
Partsforming isn't inherently bad. In this case it seems like the bits that used to partsform are just added kibble in both robot and beast modes, leaving him with an ugly robot mode and a pregnant-looking dragon mode, and no badass shield. It's especially disappointing because this mold is probably going to get retooled into Snaptrap, who had an equally awesome shield, and this means he's probably not getting it either.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 08:16 PM   #724
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Just looked back through the Dinobot pictures and spotted the Predaking silhouette. I'll be interested to see what they turn out like

@Warcry. Understand the attachment to Hun-Grrr. I think poor updates of a personal favourite do take the sheen off.

I wonder if they'll do a decent Shockwave for this sort of mainline ramalama. I like CW toy, but a nice update of him would be most welcome. Perhaps I should put this in that other thread :P

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 12:37 PM   #725
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Quote:
It'd be odd if the torsos didn't have any other accessories, since that would leave the combined form without a weapon.
Would guess that it's a marketing ploy to get you to buy the little matrix guys, as their pretender armors seem to turn into weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Just looked back through the Dinobot pictures and spotted the Predaking silhouette. I'll be interested to see what they turn out like
You can see what's likely to be Predaking's design here (pic and video). Obviously they'll embellish some details for the game model, but even so, you can already tell that Tantrum and Headstrong are retools of each other.

As for how the toy will be, well.... remember how great the idea of a titan class Devastator was? Until we saw it? And it was the way that it was? Yeah, I'm afraid Predaking will be like that.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 06:56 PM   #726
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Well, I'm definitely on board with Starscream and Rodimus Prime. Don't know how I overlooked their announcements at SDCC 2017. Starscream has that 'robot-tacked-on-a-jet' thing going on, but hot damn! That robot mode is fantastic!!!

And... Dinobots. Going to get those too. I'm psyched they're bringing back some Combiner Wars! Not that the line was that long ago, but they're some of my favorite things over the past couple years.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-17, 02:16 AM   #727
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Kind of cool in a Pretender-inner-robot kind of way...

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/02/n...edium=facebook

https://i.imgur.com/SvKb8qe.jpg
I saw a similarly packaged Prowl at Walgreens tonight on Valley St in Manchester, NH. The box was about Voyager sized, but opaque, so I don't know how big the figure is. It transformed in 6 steps. I don't know how much it was, since it wasn't actually on display yet. An employee mentioned it to me when I was buying Quake, and sent someone to get it for me. I didn't buy it. They said they only had the police car, so it looks like they ship in solid cases.

Edit: I saw the Bumblebee at another NH Walgreens for US$9.99.

Last edited by Tantrum; 2017-09-17 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added location, 2nd sighting
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-05, 10:07 PM   #728
Warcry

NYCC pics:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/n...s-prime-351444

Also, apparently they managed to make Grotusque for the convention and keep it a secret: http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/t...-3-pack-351299

Hopefully Grotusque sees a wider release because he's one of my favourite nobody characters. Not sure that's the mold I would have used but the robot mode is great and he looks okay as a beast too.

The small Terrorcons look awesome. Hun-grrr is what it is. They got Abominus's head wrong, so hopefully that'll be enough to keep me from wasting money to complete the team.

Windcharger is neat. Not the greatest head but that's what the guy looks like.

Evil Rodimus is hilarious.

Really not sure why they're reissuing that mediocre Shrapnel.

Old 2017-10-06, 09:09 AM   #729
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Well I hope everyone who always wanted a Dinobot combiner is happy. I'm still going to be laughing about that when I'm fifty.

Big fan of Windcharger's "oh yeah this lemon is really tasty, no seriously" face.

Where's Abominus' head?

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 11:49 AM   #730
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Continue to be impressed with what Hasbro are knocking out -- they've picked up the late era character ball and run with it more than ever.

Also liking the "exclusive" approach of early release and more stock getting through to retail channels later.

Will be a little bit surprised if the Terrorcons keep all of those paint apps.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 07:17 PM   #731
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Terrorcons look great. I think Hun-Grrr looks okay, but is easily the weakest member of the team. I like Shattered Glass Rodimus too!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 01:34 AM   #732
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:

The small Terrorcons look awesome. Hun-grrr is what it is. They got Abominus's head wrong, so hopefully that'll be enough to keep me from wasting money to complete the team.
I take it that you prefer the purple head from the cartoon? I'm not much of a stickler for toon accuracy, but yeah, a purple head looks better.

Old 2017-10-11, 03:25 AM   #733
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I take it that you prefer the purple head from the cartoon? I'm not much of a stickler for toon accuracy, but yeah, a purple head looks better.
It's not that, it's that it looks like his antennas are missing. Though in retrospect, maybe they flip out like Superion's?

As far as the colour goes I think they both looks are nice, though white is what comes to mind first since I've had the toy's head since I was around four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Where's Abominus' head?
They show the head flipped out of Hun-grr's torso towards the end of the gallery.

Old 2017-11-12, 02:16 AM   #735
Warcry

Ooooh, that's a pretty Barricade...

I wish I'd paid attention to Bumblebee so I'd know what price to expect.

Old 2017-11-23, 04:59 PM   #736
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

While Power of the Primes is starting to trickle out in stores, we have our first packaging shots of masterpiece Barricade.

Old 2017-12-06, 12:59 AM   #737
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Leader class Blackout is a thing now, y'all.

Not sure what's going on with his hands, but otherwise looks quite nice.

Old 2017-12-06, 06:34 PM   #738
Warcry

That sure was a long time coming.

I'm amazed by how clean-looking the alt-mode is. It doesn't even look like it transforms in that pic!