• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2017-09-09, 06:53 PM   #2041
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I'm finished with Amazing Spider-Man, still not a very good game though. The next game is Just Cause 2, which I hope will be more fun at least.

Otherwise, I finally got my physical rewards for backing the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter a few years back: the NES styled USB, manual and cardboard case. The USB is probably the best bit but the manual is a nice thickness and reminds me of some of older manuals that gave you in-story information along with tips and artwork.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-16, 04:45 PM   #2042
HeavyArms
Unicron

A few missions into Just Cause 2 and it kind of looks like a PS2 game.

Old 2017-09-29, 03:32 PM   #2043
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Took a plunge on Sonic Mania for the Switch. Not bad for a $20 16-bit era-esque romp that I can play on the go. It's got a nice blend of older (though updated and expanded) zones like Green Hill and Chemical Plant, as well as multiple new ones that have the same vibe. Characters, themes, gimmicks, etc. from across Sonics 1-3, Knuckles, & CD make some appearances too. Forgot how tedious some levels and bosses can be though.

Also bought the Breath of the Wild Season Pass. At $20, that's not too shabby for what's included. Several new items and modes, not counting the stuff that's coming in the holiday season. Pretty good deal, overall.

On another note, it seems that the fervor for the SNES Classic is real. Keep seeing posts of people lining up for midnight releases, online selling out immediately, re-sellers charging double+ the MSRP, etc. I'm too old for that crap. Should I find one out in the wild on a random trip, I will be happy. Otherwise, I'm not in the mood to hunt relentlessly. Anyone around here got one or getting one?

Alternatively, I think I might get a Retron 5, as it accommodates cartridges from NES, SNES, Genesis, GB/GBC, and GBA. I have a majority of my old NES and SNES carts, and Genesis games are pretty dirt cheap at two retro stores within 5 minutes of my house. I also still have my old controllers - which the Retron has ports for - and it outputs in HDMI and saves games on the system. For a semi-comparable price (OK, it's nearly double but does more stuff) and ease of availability (on the shelf at the local shops, Walmart & Amazon have it online), I may just go that route instead and save myself all the hassle. Plus, there's something neat and nostalgic about plugging in a cart to play a game.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 03:44 PM   #2044
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

I just bought Mario Run for the mobile phone (works on tablet too, I think). Its half price at the moment (4.99) as they've released a load of new content for it, including the ability to replace the in-game music with the music you've got on your phone from iTunes or whatever. Also features lots of new playable characters, and when playing your own music your character of choice dons a pair of cute headphones whilst in-game!

There's lots more playability and features in this game than in anything I ever bought for the computer at that price back when I was a kid, and its very polished with instant pick up and play. Well worth it!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 10:13 PM   #2045
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I got a . . . SNES Classic today!!!!

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 02:16 AM   #2046
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

So did I!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170929_182432_1CS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	11691  
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 02:20 AM   #2047
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Red face

I just spanked him at Mario Kart. S P A N K E D.

All those hours spent racing ghosts on the Rainbow Road in my youth were not wasted.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 03:36 PM   #2048
HeavyArms
Unicron

I'm about 30% through Just Cause 2 and dying quite often, even on normal difficulty. I've got two story missions left, a bunch of faction missions to do and a lot of races, collectibles and town to plunder/blow up.

Old 2017-10-09, 02:38 PM   #2049
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot81 View Post
I got a . . . SNES Classic today!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
So did I!!!!!!
Congrats to you all, I didn't find one around me, though I didn't try too hard. I think I'll just keep poking here and there over time, as they're supposed to be in better supply than the NES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
I just spanked him at Mario Kart. S P A N K E D.

All those hours spent racing ghosts on the Rainbow Road in my youth were not wasted.
Rainbow Road is such a good track! Actually, that game as a whole is really good. My sister and I also logged a ton of hours back in the day. I can still remember her physically tilting the controller as she turned, like it was going to help.

And while I didn't get a SNES Classic, I was able to get something very close (at least for me) on that Friday: the Retron 5! Honestly, this system really only works if you already have a bunch of old carts and controllers or you're willing to start hemorrhaging money to build a collection. Luckily, I fall into the former category!

The display on the system is really crisp - it outputs in 720 via HDMI - and the music is crisp as well. It's super easy to setup, and super easy to use. I still own a bunch of carts, and also controllers for NES, SNES, and Genesis, so this was a great pickup for me. So although I didn't get a SNES Classic, I was still able to pop in the stuff I still have on SNES: DKC, Mario World, Mario Kart, A Link to the Past, Mario All-Stars, Super Empire Strikes Back, Lagoon, Mortal Kombat II, and NBA Live '96. They all play just like I remember, with the exception of Mario World, which seems to have a slight lag. This, as I understand it, is a matter of the system and HD TV's not jiving - not a deal breaker, but noticeable. The included controller, however, IS a deal breaker - luckily I don't have to worry about that. It's a really cheap, uncomfortable, loud/clicky hunk of plastic.

On top of the SNES games, I popped in several NES favorites like Battletoads and TMNT for some NES enjoyment. Holy cow, I forgot how BRUTAL Battletoads is! I wasted so much time as a kid playing this game, only to reach levels 4 or 5 a handful of times. Great game play and soundtrack though! The only NES cart in my collection I found that didn't quite work was the Tengen version of Ms. Pac-Man (unlicensed by Nintendo) that had some display issues. Otherwise, this system is great! You can even take some time and a SD card via the internet and load a bunch of Game Genie codes to it, just to play around.

I still had some budget left from the trades and system purchase, so I also snagged Sonic 1 & 2, Tecmo Super Bowl, NBA Jam, NHL '97, and Ms. Pac-Man all for the Genesis - all in great condition and on the cheap. I also have a copy of Streets of Rage 2 coming via eBay in a few days. I think overall I spent about $40 out of pocket over the last week or so on all of that. This really only worked for me because I own so much old stuff already, and traded a bunch of more recent stuff to not spend a penny on this machine. Had I spent the $140-180 straight out of my wallet, I don't think the Retron 5 would have made me as happy.

Old 2017-10-17, 03:36 AM   #2050
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Drive Girls, a game where cute anime girls beat up bug robots and turn into cars for the PS Vita.

PS Vita, because I've been wanting to get one for a while. I have to admit, it's a neat system.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 03:46 PM   #2051
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Well, SoR2 came in the mail. IT'S STILL AWESOME. Only played the first stage, as I really haven't had time to dig. Looks and sounds great on the system though!

Also stopped at my local shop to pick up a couple cheapies... came home with Bart vs. The Juggernauts (GameBoy), and FIFA International Soccer (Genesis). Got the former to try out the GB/GBA port. It works. The game is pretty bad though (had it as a kid, didn't remember it being so bad). Got the latter because I originally owned the SNES version. Not the same. Not that it's not good, just doesn't have the nostalgic vibe I was looking for.

So anyways, I took them back and swapped them for a copy of Mortal Kombat (Genesis). I still remember the blood code. Good fun all around, though I remember (rose-colored glasses) MK looking so awesome as a kid... like photo-realistic. Hah! Still love it though.

Old 2017-10-18, 05:47 AM   #2052
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Red face

Things were getting a little heated when we were playing Kirby's Dream Course like two weeks ago or somesuch, then Hound started gesticulating and accidentally hit me in the face. I was already annoyed at him, so I milked that for an entire day (well, almost). Now we just make inappropriate wife-beating jokes at each other and then cackle like mad things.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote