• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2017-09-09, 01:05 PM   #5841
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Yeah, Blurr isn't that bad about it since the shield is fairly small, but it's a little ridiculous for Brainstorm. I think it's the way it mounts on the arm that doesn't look right to me.
Yeah, for my Brainstorm I just treat it like a backpack and never remove it from the joint.

Thanks to Amazon.ca having stocked the wave finally, I've got TR Quake finally. And even though he's just Hardhead with a new face, I'm really impressed. The robot mode is a really good fit for Quake if you use the tank cannon as a rifle, and his colours are beautiful. The tank mode is still 100% Hardhead, and I wish he'd gotten new weapons to make him a bit more disinct, but considering he's a low-effort repaint it's impressive how good a job the figure does of representing the character.

It's surprising how few straight repaints we got in the larger size classes for Titans Return, actually. Quake, Krok, Getaway and Sentinel were the only ones I can think of, and all of the other reuses have gotten some pretty significant remolding. The Legends and Titan Masters had a fair bit of straight reuse, but it's nice that they're going to more effort to make the more expensive figures distinctive. I'm guessing that Quake and Krok got the short end of the stick because they were also shortpacked.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 06:08 PM   #5842
Warcry

I picked up TR Windblade on a whim. She's got a really neat plane mode, with the tilt-rotor engines and the working cockpit for Titan Masters adding a lot of play value. The robot mode is a bit weak, though. She looks like the designers couldn't decide between making her a traditional boxy robot or a curvy feminine one, so they just did half and half. She's very poseable, though. Not a bad figure, and certainly more appealing than the original from a few years back.

Old 2017-09-16, 04:22 AM   #5843
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

TR Highbrow - So out of curiousity, I picked this guy up. He's not bad. I think I'd like him a little better if the wings would fold back a little in robot mode.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-16, 04:34 PM   #5844
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

TR Aimless & Misfire and Caliburst & Slugslinger - It looks like both wave 5 & 6 deluxes are showing up at K-Mart stores simultaneously, so I got these two and will get at least Twin Twist in the next couple of weeks.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-18, 07:27 PM   #5845
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

RID Dinobots Triceradon And Slapper
Thanks to a mate, landed this two-pack of 2004 RID stragglers. I like the G1 Dinobot colours, but this version of Triceradon is outclassed by his Universe counterpart who has a much nicer paint job. This guy's robot mode colours are a bit too wishy-washy and what is up with that horrible mustard yellow face? Bleurgh. Slapper is surprisingly large for a BW Basic toy, and an impressive looking anklyosaurus. I love the asymmetry and the personality in this little dude. The tail whipping gimmick is crap though.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 03:20 AM   #5846
Warcry

I tracked down TR Overlord! He feels very different to Black Shadow even though they share the same legs. I'd lean towards Black Shadow maybe being a little better, because his jet mode is a bit more coherent and he does the "combined jet and tank" trick a bit better, but Overlord is still quite a good toy. Though I'd be happier with him if I hadn't had to spend half an hour gently sanding away the huge fingerprint that some inept Vietnamese factory worker left in the paint on his leg...

Oh, and the stickers are both awful and completely unnecessary. I'm not sure why they even bothered with any of them but the faction symbols.

Old 2017-09-26, 07:35 PM   #5847
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Commemorative Series Rodimus Major
I dunno what it is about the reissues, but I get super-excited by them. I liked the early Hasbro ones where they'd done them up like the original releases. It's a shame they didn't stick with this packaging design and instead tried to pointlessly mimic the Takara Book Box look, but with no effort. Anyway, even though its a bit of a rubbish toy, I do have a soft spot for Hot Rod, as he was one I had when I was younger. Won't be putting the stickers on his legs though, learned my lesson from the first time around.

Old 2017-09-27, 03:33 AM   #5848
Warcry

I have exactly the same sentiments about my reissue G1 Hot Rod...he kinda sucks but I love him anyway. I wound up putting the forearms from my 80s version onto him so that he could hold Firebolt, since I grew up with the Targetmaster (and subsequently destroyed it so thoroughly that nothing but the forearms were still functional!)

Ironically, the thigh stickers on mine back in the 80s weren't cut properly so I never managed to get them off of the sticker sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I liked the early Hasbro ones where they'd done them up like the original releases. It's a shame they didn't stick with this packaging design and instead tried to pointlessly mimic the Takara Book Box look, but with no effort.
Agreed! They definitely hit a nice nostalgic note with those first couple waves' worth of boxes and the later ones with their boring photoshopped Dreamwave art were nowhere near as eye-catching. I'm guessing it was a marketing ploy to capitalize on the popularity of the Takara stuff?

Old 2017-09-27, 08:55 PM   #5849
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

See, I'm daft. I have the Takara reissue that does the Targetmaster and the regular guns, but I saw this and ...just had to have it.

I do think the Book Box look was an attempt to latch onto the Takara stuff, but without all the extra stuff, you've just got....a waste of cardboard. And whilst the boxes were the same size, with a completely different design approach they don't sit well on the shelf together, so what's the point? And whilst some of the DW art was nice, not everyone was Don Fig. And I liked the original art from off of the toys.

...that's why I bought all the Encore stuff, so now I have two of everything. Like an idiot. Sigh. Collecting is weird. Between that and having stuff like the Guiledart mould four times over, I have a collection that simultaneously has variety and none at all.

Old 2017-09-28, 03:48 PM   #5850
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Commemorative Series Rodimus Major
And thanks to the inconsistent naming policy over the years, I thought you were talking about the Rodimus Prime reissue.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 03:09 PM   #5851
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Came across TR Seaspray last night, a lone figure behind a wall of Cosmos(es... i?). Transformers have been poorly re-stocked in my region lately since the movie stuff is clogging pegs, so I was glad to see him!

Nice little guy, nothing flashy, but solid. Looks good on the shelf with Powerglide, Bumblebee, and Brawn. May have to get Cosmos soon too, just for fun. Sadly, the other 'minibot' up there is Swerve, and while he's a great figure and the face is dead on for the comic look, he now looks a touch out of place with the TR aesthetic that's there.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 08:53 AM   #5852
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Sadly, the other 'minibot' up there is Swerve, and while he's a great figure and the face is dead on for the comic look, he now looks a touch out of place with the TR aesthetic that's there.
I was playing with my CW and TR toys, and even between those lines, there's a clash of aesthetics. The CW toys look very chunky next to the TR stuff. And neither of these lines meshes that well with a lot of the previous Generations lines. One thing that I do like, is Hasbro getting over the 'no Voyager/ Leader class' in the Generations lines. I do like having guys like Skywarp look a decent size and not a piddly looking Deluxe.

TR Hot Rod w/ Firedrive
And because I haven't had enough Hot Rod this week, I picked up this guy. The alt-mode looks good (although could have used some silver paint on the wheels, as ever) and the robot mode is also pretty sharp. His arms do look kind of big, but they are in proportion, its just there's a lot of alty-mode bulk to these, so they look bigger than they are. He's a fun toy, and a good update, but still doesn't quite replace the Classics version for me (although he is the better toy overall). I do think it would have been nice if they'd have done Hot Rod up in that neon pink/red of early toy promos from the '80s and his animation model though. Looks better than the MP version though!

Old 2017-09-30, 09:57 AM   #5853
HeavyArms
Unicron

AOE Optimus Prime plush - A prize I won while ten-pin bowling at a Transformers fan meet-up last weekend.

Old 2017-10-05, 01:05 PM   #5854
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Last Knight Hot Rod!

Amazingly his bio doesn't mention the fact he's French once.

Lovely toy and well worth going out of my way to Clapham to find an Asda to get one from. The head sculpt is fantastic, full of personality and the transformation is nice and fun (even if tabbing it into place is a bit tricky).

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...70846270902277

Masterpiece Artfire!

Yeah, I bought a Masterpiece Artfire, **** you.

Another nice toy, transforms smoothly and smartly and things like how the ladder folds up are actually done very well.

And yeah, it's Artfire. Mad aint it?

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...23079378030592

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-05, 02:39 PM   #5855
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
And yeah, it's Artfire. Mad aint it?
Madfire would've been the first toy I'd bought using that mold, but I couldn't stop being broke long enough to buy it. With my spending habits, I might have a shot at getting him in March.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-05, 06:52 PM   #5856
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
I was playing with my CW and TR toys, and even between those lines, there's a clash of aesthetics. The CW toys look very chunky next to the TR stuff. And neither of these lines meshes that well with a lot of the previous Generations lines. One thing that I do like, is Hasbro getting over the 'no Voyager/ Leader class' in the Generations lines. I do like having guys like Skywarp look a decent size and not a piddly looking Deluxe.
That's a fair observation. I get the level of chunkiness for CW, as the deluxes need to double as a semi-bulky limb, but I think the difference is far more jarring from T30 to TR. The aesthetics to me, are a little closer from CW to TR.

Leader class figures in the Generations line are definitely welcome. I agree it's nice to have a proper sized Megs, Starscream, etc. to go with the Deluxes that should be Deluxes.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 04:21 AM   #5857
Warcry

TR Blitzwing is just fantastic. I expected him to be alright from the pics (and I'd wanted to get Megatron, but never saw him), but didn't expect him to be this good.

I honestly can't believe he's even a part of the same line as...well, as every single one of the other triplechanging Voyagers. His robot mode is solid and powerful-looking, with good articulation and no hollowness to speak of. And most importantly, his silly head-tower things don't pop up on their own accord all the time like Broadside's and Optimus's do. His shoulders look like they should be fiddly and awkward, but they actually hold together really well.

His jet mode is almost as good as the robot, and though it has some under-wing kibble it's nothing like the nonsense that Prime had. Tank mode is a little wobblier, what with the clearly visible thrusters and wings, but it still gets the job done just fine.

The only real problem was the ****ing stickers, which generally just look cheap and awful. The Decepticon faction sticker was so off-centre that I've already peeled it off and replaced it. Oh, and I've tossed his sword in the spare parts bin and given him the one from the Thrilling 30 Blitzwing, since it's just a much better fit size-wise for a Voyager.

Overall, really, really pleasantly surprised by the guy. The time I bought a Generations Voyager that was actually good would have been...shit, probably Rhinox and Whirl. The CW assortment was pretty wobbly unless you just wanted them as torsos, and up until now the TR ones have mostly just inspired buyers' remorse unless I got them on sale. But Blitzwing? Blitzwing is actually good!

[EDIT]
Quote:
That's a fair observation. I get the level of chunkiness for CW, as the deluxes need to double as a semi-bulky limb, but I think the difference is far more jarring from T30 to TR. The aesthetics to me, are a little closer from CW to TR.
Each subset of Generations toys definitely has its own look. Not so much that I think they look bad if you mix them, but definitely enough that you can tell what's what. TR is probably my favourite of the bunch, with its emphasis on simplicity and accurate designs, but I can see an argument for all of them (except for FoC, maybe).

Quote:
Leader class figures in the Generations line are definitely welcome. I agree it's nice to have a proper sized Megs, Starscream, etc. to go with the Deluxes that should be Deluxes.
The diversity in size classes is great! Don't forget the Legends and (in spite of the price) the Titan Masters either, because they're just as important when it comes to giving the line a sense of scale.

I mean, in a perfect world we'd also have Megas between Voyager and Deluxe and Ultras between Voyager and Leader to give us even more variety, but obviously that's not a reasonable demand. A mixed assortment of the best figures from Classics on up does give you a nice group shot with all sorts of different character sizes, though, and that's the next best thing.

Last edited by Warcry; 2017-10-06 at 05:31 AM.
Old 2017-10-07, 04:09 PM   #5858
HeavyArms
Unicron

TLK Autobot Hound - Bought the last Hound at Big W for the low price of $34.

Old 2017-10-11, 05:39 PM   #5859
Warcry

TR Repugnus and Shuffler! Repugnus has a neat beast mode (two, actually -- the traditional biped and a four-legged variety) but his weapon and vehicle modes are very weak. Shuffler on the other hand is probably the most solid Titan Master vehicle in the line. His beast, vehicle and gun modes are all nicer than average, and he's got a really nice head mode too.

Old 2017-10-12, 08:42 PM   #5860
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

TLK Hot Rod
Saw Dalek's pictures and thought I'd give this a go, despite my reservations that this looked very stiff and like a blown up Legends figure. It's nice to be surprised! There is something deeply unglamorous about buying an 'Asda Exclusive' though. Especially when the cheeky buggers are charging a few quid extra than the other 'Movie Premium' figures. He is nevertheless a super figure, and one of the nicer Movie figures of recent years. He's nicely (and properly) painted up, has a decent range of articulation and looks great. The only thing I can honestly say I don't like are the robot mode hands, which are horrible blocky lumps. The transformation is pretty clever, but he's a proper pain to tab together. Once you get there, the alt mode is very nice indeed and rolls really well - and looks fab too!

And I think that's enough Hot Rod. What is this, Hot Rod month at my house?