• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2017-10-15, 12:15 PM   #841
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Not sure about the Shada DVD, I do know the all time best seller Genesis did about 70 000 copies in its first year, so whilst I'm assuming a fag end of the line packed in with an old documentary release wouldn't have been one of their peak sellers, it's a fair point it's probably more than a few 1000.

A heavily promoted DVD/blu Ray release with new Tom Baker stuff should easily outpace it though.

One point I few people on GB have made is that several of the missing stories have already had as many or even more "Official" releases than Shada (anything up to and including book, CD, MP3 CD, audio download, partial video release, partial DVD release, "Complete" animated DVD release... the Wheel in Space recon is even on an American streaming service for some reason no one quite understands!) so it's not as if they're being ignored at the expense of the unfinished story.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 10:52 PM   #842
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Bit of a storm brewing around the latest DWM... add together the first letter of every sentence in “The Watcher’s” column and it reads PANINI AND BBC WORKDWIDE ARE C**TS (censored in case Ralph Burns is reading).

DWM have asked fans to keep this quiet, because this could lose them their BBC licence, and the major DW forums seem to be co-operating by deleting all posts about it. But it’s kinda funny.

Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Coming 2017 from Telos Publishing
Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-24, 06:07 AM   #843
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

The effort that must have taken is insane (though it doesn't quite flow, which really the editor should have spotted and asked for a rewrite on even if they didn't notice the hidden words). I certainly hope the motivation was more than the new editor not keeping them on, else that's excessive.

Old 2017-10-24, 07:02 PM   #844
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The effort that must have taken is insane
Type it all out starting a new line at a time then delete the spaces inbetween; it's much easier to do it that way than to get it to flow in a layout Mona Simpson style because you can vary all the sentence lengths so they're natural. My posts and sites are genuinely packed with it.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-24, 07:49 PM   #845
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I like the 'In A Nutshell' closing

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 04:29 PM   #846
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

We've all just been rereading everything Cliffy ever wrote haven't we?

There's this weird thing with the digital version where rather than removing the page they've rewritten it so as to remove the sneakiness. The "Don't talk about!" stance in the thread on Gallifrey base is pretty much comedy gold as well.

In other news, in the run up to Christmas I've decided to try and psych up for it with a run of regeneration stories, Moff Highlights and general associated gubbins. Starting with The Other Other Hartnell in the Five Doctors earlier in the week.

As I've watched Tenth Planet recently, I'll hopefully be ploughing through The War Games tomorrow...

Old 2017-11-03, 07:36 AM   #847
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

The latest issue of Private Eye has some background on the kerfuffle at the mag...

Worldwide (the beeb''s commercial arm) have been irked by the mag's increasing independence and seized on recent interviewees comments on Brexit and Trump as evidence of political bias, which is a no-no for BBC mags and launched a full inquiry, insisting all those who work on the magazine undergo a training course.

The previous editor also fell out with BBC Wales after being critical of Class (which from having read, whilst critical of the decisions made around the broadcast and promotion of the show, was actually supportive of the programme!) and took a pay off and left.

Panini have also taken to slashing the magazine's budget, which has meant several long running columns are being axed, hence the acrostic in the above.

Old 2017-11-03, 08:10 PM   #848
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The Watcher has also been outed as regular Dalek operator (and David Bowie biographer!) Nick Pegg.

The former editor of DWM has been keen to point out he wasn't paid out and left the mag at exactly the time he'd been planning to do for years (the same time the Moff left).

However, other bits of the PE piece have been confirmed as true, in particular that everyone who writes for the mag has had to go on a political neutrality course.

It's interesting the BBC have so firmly come out as saying Pegg was sacked. That means either this Watcher column was intended to be the last (either it was going on for a few more months, or even right up to the end of the 100 objects idea in about a year, but with much firmer constraints stopping things like the anti-Trump piece he wrote last year) or he was still down for some other work on the book.

That's assuming the BBC haven't been stupid enough to say someone has been sacked for this when they'd already left the magazine, which would basically open them to all sorts of lawsuits.

What's surprising is how firmly Pegg has cut himself off from all other Who work. He won't be in a Dalek again, nor do any Big Finish stuff. He's got other stings in his bow, and I doubt that was making him rich, but it's strange to end such a long running association, something must have gone very sour.

DWM has been lucky enough to have way more leeway than any other licensed magazine ever would. But equally, it's understandable the BBC would want something designed to promote one of their products to be first and foremost a PR machine.

Oh, and Pegg apparently writes for Private Eye from time to time, making folk wonder at the impartiality and authorship of the piece...

Old 2017-11-03, 08:35 PM   #849
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Aye, PE confirmed that Pegg is The Watcher. If he did write the piece, it explains a lot of the Who-related pieces that have popped up during the Moffat-era.

I think the Beeb is under such scrutiny these days and it's existence and funding so thoroughly questioned that I can understand that even minor acts of criticism or discussion about the world, in a magazine that is about a sci-fi TV show, will be something they're worried will get in the frothing tabloids and bring an unwelcome sh*t storm to their door.

That an all the usual 'brand values' cobblers that they'll be wanting to bring to heel. I'm guessing sales are down on the mag and Panini's titles across the board if they're trimming things, and the timing of all this has just been unfortunate.

Old 2017-11-04, 01:53 PM   #850
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Sales are low at the moment, another massive gap before the next regular bunch of episodes probably doesn't help. Especially as I suspect the licence fee is based on peak Smith era sales.

Old 2017-11-04, 02:48 PM   #851
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
The latest issue of Private Eye has some background on the kerfuffle at the mag...

Worldwide (the beeb''s commercial arm) have been irked by the mag's increasing independence and seized on recent interviewees comments on Brexit and Trump as evidence of political bias, which is a no-no for BBC mags and launched a full inquiry, insisting all those who work on the magazine undergo a training course.

The previous editor also fell out with BBC Wales after being critical of Class (which from having read, whilst critical of the decisions made around the broadcast and promotion of the show, was actually supportive of the programme!) and took a pay off and left.

Panini have also taken to slashing the magazine's budget, which has meant several long running columns are being axed, hence the acrostic in the above.
It's not the show itself hasn't made political comments.

In his first episode Calpadi made a comment after he learned he has a Scottish accent made a comment about his eyebrows should succeed from the rest face and form their own country this aired around the time of the Scottish Independence Vote (or maybe that was when some of us Americans were becoming aware of it). In the current series finale he made a crack about humanity with no emotions and empathy is how we wind up with Trump.
Calpadi's Doctor has also said he doesn't like Americans a couple of times, and once said that humans stand around and elect an idiot to take care of things (even though he was the idiot).

The show has blown up Downing Street during the first season of the new series.

And in one episode toward the end of Tennat's run had some homeless guys say something to effect that "Obama was going to save the world with his economic plan"

Torchwood: Children of the Earth and Torchwood: Miracle Day are crammed with political messages and critique.

So the current show has had several mentions of politics and political statements and the actors, writers, and people who DWM interview also have their own political beliefs and when they are asked they answered and if BBC Worldwide then they can cancel it and I wonder how big the backlash would be.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-04, 03:48 PM   #852
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Franchise owners often put more restrictions on a licencee than they do themselves. Plus IIRC BBC Magazines (or at least the non-political or news ones) are required by charter to be partisan.

Of course, most of the reaction to the Peter Davison interview was OTT considering his Brexit views were about a page at most in a massive feature and saved repeating a "And then Janet's boobs popped out" story.