• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2017-11-11, 02:25 PM   #2061
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Having finished playing Just Cause 2, or as much as I wanted to play, I'm undecided as to what to play next; but in the meantime I'm going to play enough of Pokemon Sun to be able to use the Pokemon download codes that I have.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-13, 05:25 PM   #2062
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Well, after getting a Retron 5 and telling myself I didn't need a Mini SNES, I found one at Target on Friday... and came home with it. Nice little system, and smooth as silk, just like the Mini NES. Controller cords are still too short (luckily I already have extensions from the Mini NES), and it's still a shame that the Big N didn't put a 'Home' button on the controller - causing you to go hit the reset button to get back to the main menu. It's a minor quibble, but present nonetheless. Otherwise, the game list is stellar, and pretty well rounded. It doesn't seem to have as many early arcade 'duds' that the Mini NES did. For $80, it's well worth it.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-18, 03:59 PM   #2063
HeavyArms
Unicron

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 on Xbox One, it also comes with a Giant-Man mini-figure.

Also, played enough of Pokemon Sun to download a couple of Pokemon via codes, although I did have to download some patches before hand.

Old 2017-11-19, 12:57 PM   #2064
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and Collar X Malice for the PS Vita. I've heard that interactive visual novels are really big on the system and figured "Eh, why not. I'll give a couple of them a try."

Only played Danganronpa so far, and it's a lot of fun.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-24, 04:59 PM   #2065
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I only have a PS4. I can say, much like you, I preferred Xbox controllers, but the PS4 redesign was so good that it swayed me in that direction (used to own a PS3 & 360). If you can get to some kiosks, try them both out. That's what made up my mind...
Thanks for the advice! I did manage to have a good look at the PS4 controller at a kiosk and it seems way more comfortable than the PS1 and PS2 controllers I'm familiar with. I think it's the smooth top that does it, now that the trigger buttons aren't jutting up like on the older ones. The triggers themselves seem more ergonomic, too. The joystick positioning may take some getting used to, though!

Quote:
Maybe there will be an upcoming sale that might help you?
That's what made up my mind in the end, yeah. I wound up getting a 1TB PS4 bundled with a game I wanted (NHL 18) for $250 CAD on sale. Usually they'd be $380 up here. None of the Black Friday Xbox deals hit that price, not even for the the 500 GB model, so they got themselves a sale!

I, of course, immediately went and ordered Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and The Last of Us Remastered (honestly, this game is about half the reason why I even considered the Playstation instead of just upgrading to the next Xbox) off of Amazon, so I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the holidays.

Especially since I'll need to squeeze in my once-every-Christmas play-through of Arkham Origins on the 360 in there somewhere.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-25, 06:18 PM   #2066
HeavyArms
Unicron

Started on Dead Nation, not bad really for a twin-stick shooter, currently up to the fourth mission.

Old 2017-11-26, 01:28 PM   #2067
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Mass Effect: Andromeda a damn great game that got crapped on by angry worthless trolls. The game has it flaws but it's much better than the hate mob would have you believe.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 05:18 PM   #2068
HeavyArms
Unicron

About half-way through Dead Nation's story.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Old 2017-12-04, 06:21 PM   #2069
Warcry

I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Last of Us now. I don't think it really lives up to the hype. The story is great and has some real impact, and it has some great visuals (the abandoned and crumbling cities are fantastic). But the gameplay can be intensely frustrating. Even though the game teaches you to fight, sneak or run away from your enemies, most of the time it feels like the game is trying to force you to do one or the other. So instead of looking for creative solutions to whatever jam I'm in, I find myself trying to figure out what the designers wanted me to do, and sometimes it feels less like playing a game than just pushing buttons to unlock the next scene in a movie. Which is a shame because the plot, characters, writing and voice-acting are all top-notch.

It reminds me a lot of the first Mass Effect, actually -- the story is good enough that it I'm willing to put up with a pretty mediocre gameplay experience to see it through, but the whole package suffers because of the weakness of some of its parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstrike nTo View Post
Mass Effect: Andromeda a damn great game that got crapped on by angry worthless trolls. The game has it flaws but it's much better than the hate mob would have you believe.
That's the risk you take when your staff go out of their way to pick a fight with bunch of trolls with too much time on their hands. Gamergate morons might be...well, morons, but they're still a huge slice of any major title's target market and have a huge platform to troll from.

Old 2017-12-09, 05:15 PM   #2070
HeavyArms
Unicron

Up to Mission 8 of Dead Nation, generally the game isn't too difficult except for areas where you have to survive a few rounds of different enemies while something activates or lowers or something.

Old 2017-12-11, 05:29 PM   #2071
Warcry

Finished playing The Last of Us. Genuinely surprised by the ending. Really didn't think
SPOILER! (select to read)
my character would make it out alive
(is it actually a spoiler when the game is four years old?) The last level was intensely frustrating, not because of the design or layout but because you're facing human enemies who can somehow tank multiple gunshots to their unprotected face. Like seriously, I'd shoot a guy in the nose with a hunting rifle and two seconds later he's returning fire. What's the point in even giving me guns in this game if they're useless? Why am I bothering to get good at aiming them if my reward for being able to pick off unarmoured bits is absolutely nothing? Such a sour end to a game that had the potential to be really great. It's an above-average game and I enjoyed it, but I just can't get on board with the people who say it's one of the best games ever. There's just too many flaws that could have been fixed too easily.

After that I started playing NHL 18, which was even more frustrating to start with. Right out of the box it's basically unplayable: every single defensive move is a penalty, your players skate like they're in molasses, your players fan on slapshots about 80% of the time and it's impossible to pass the puck in the offensive zone without being intercepted. The gameplay option sliders mean that it's possible to fix all of that, but the end result after all of that is still a game that's not much more fun than my ancient copy of NHL 99 on the N64 -- and that one I can just jump into and play without hours of trial-and-error editing settings. Also, loading times in Franchise Mode basically take forever, the menus are frustrating to navigate, and some information seems to not exist at all (i.e. if I simulate a block of games, I can't seem to find the boxscores anywhere). The last NHL game I played was in the early 2000s on PC, and honestly it doesn't seem like the series has evolved at all since then (aside from the addition of pay-to-win game modes so they can microtransaction the hell out of their hardcore players). I get that hockey is hockey and there's only so much you can do with it, but it's been at least a decade and a half since I've played an NHL game and surely something should have improved since then? It's fun enough, but if I'd paid $80 or whatever the MSRP for new games is in Canada rather than getting it bundled in with my console at a discount, I'd feel ripped off.

Old 2017-12-23, 01:12 PM   #2072
HeavyArms
Unicron

Finished the Dead Nation story and it's not a bad game. I'm going to go back through a few of the levels to collect the last of the loot.

Old 2017-12-27, 02:30 AM   #2073
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

We got a Nintendo Switch!!!

I also got LoZ: Breath of the Wild, so yeah, gonna be playing that. So much excite!

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-27, 07:12 PM   #2074
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
We got a Nintendo Switch!!!

I also got LoZ: Breath of the Wild, so yeah, gonna be playing that. So much excite!
Nice! Get ready to dump in some hours - I think I'm at ~120, and I'm still going. Distractions, distractions!

Over the holiday weekend I took advantage of a GameStop giftcard as well as a Rewards certificate to pick up Skyrim on Switch (really wanted Odyssey, but I'm on a list to receive one once my local shop gets a copy). Skyrim was a game I had back on my 360, but couldn't get into for the life of me. I would always get my character to level 10-12, then lose interest. Turns out, I just didn't like being tethered to the TV for long chunks of time to make progress! Being able to have this thing on the go and play a bit here and a bit there while putting it in sleep mode in between is the key. Looking forward to actually completing this game!

Old 2017-12-30, 03:44 AM   #2075
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Smile

I also got a Steam card, so I picked up Conan Exiles. Looks like fun, I love those building/survival types of games.

Hound got me a giant Snorlax, he is automatically made of the win.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 05:49 PM   #2076
HeavyArms
Unicron

Wolfenstein 2: Collectors Edition - Bought for myself as a Christmas present.

Call Of Duty: WW2 Steelbook Edition.

Basically done with Dead Nation although I am trying to knock through the game on Morbid difficulty for the hell of it, but I'll be starting on Dragon's Dogma in a couple of days and will on it for a few weeks, I reckon.

Old 2018-01-08, 05:05 PM   #2077
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

In order to fill some time between Skyrim sessions, I managed to pick up a copy of Super Mario Odyssey.

I had put myself on a 'waiting list' at my local game shop, fully not expecting a copy to pass through anytime soon. Luckily, I had plenty of trade credit to cover the whole thing, so I didn't pay a dime when I got a call that one had arrived. SUPER fun game, though I haven't gotten too far. The only gripe I have is that you can't pull off all the hat-tossing moves without using split Joy-Cons and using motion controls. It's not a deal-breaker, as the basics can do nearly all you need to do, it's just disappointing. I thought we had moved on from needing to waggle my arms about just to fully enjoy a game. Otherwise, it's all Mario, and it's totally fun.

Old 2018-01-08, 09:19 PM   #2078
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I just realized I've played like 5 games in the last half a year and haven't really talked about it.

I finished Pokemon White, and it was good but it was the first one I'd not played via emulator. When I'd played through all of the previous games I would complete the game having caught and evolved all the Pokemon that were available to get but then I would use cheat codes to acquire the rest so that when I stopped playing the Pokedex would be complete. That said, we have the rest of the series aside from the Ultra versions of Sun and Moon, so Sadie has Pokemon Black and so the means for me to acquire a handful more of Pokemon I couldn't get in White version. She's just too preoccupied playing Ark and not accompanying me on my Pokemon Journey.

So after that I managed to pick up a Wii U on the cheap and decided that I was going to make my way through as much of the Legend of Zelda series as I can before I get bored with it. I've got via emulator or physical copy just about the entire series.

I'd played the NES games a couple years ago so I started with LoZ: Link's Awakening DX and it was sooooo good. It was challenging enough for me but not so hard that I got at all frustrated with the game. I also liked that towards the end of the dungeons there would be a mini-boss that once defeated would open a warp between the entrance of the dungeon and the room with the mini-boss so if you died sometime after that fight you could just warp back to that min-boss room and continue from there. For a Gameboy game this thing is remarkably well designed. This has been my favourite Zelda game yet. Possibly because it's been the easiest I've played yet.

I played and just completed last night Link to the Past and it was really good too. I see why this is a lot of people's favourite Zelda game. It's probably the most beautiful 2D game I've ever played. It was hard as balls though. Maybe I'm just not good but I have this game on Wii U virtual console and I exploited the hell out of being able to create a save point at any time I was playing, especially the last 4 dungeons. There's no way I would've been able to beat this thing without that advantage. Well, at least not without it taking twice as long.

Which, for me, is time I really don't have. I'm making my way through a backlog of games that I've spent the last 4 years building up. I've got a family and a full-time job and other hobbies too, I take shortcuts where I have to.

After that we managed to get a SNES Classic, so I've dabbled in Super Metroid. While I've not played a lot of the game I'm just enjoying the hell out of what I have played. I got to a point where I can't figure out where to go next though so I'm probably going to glance at a walkthrough periodically as I get lost in this huge map.

I also started in on LoZ: Ocarina of Time for the 3DS which has been a lot of fun, I'm maybe a third of the way through the game and I'm getting fairly comfortable with the controls. I'm so glad I got the 3DS version as it looks so much better graphically than the original version.

I'm gonna start playing Breath of the Wild next though as I'm dying to start playing our Switch. I've seen a let's play of the game on Youtube so the story's been completely spoiled for me but, really, it's a Zelda game, if I didn't know the plot by now I'd have to be an idiot.

I have a wish list of Switch games I want to pick up now and add to the backlog. Rocket League, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms and possibly Splatoon 2 but it's a bummer that me and Sadie can't play Splatoon 2 split screen together without getting a second Switch and 2 copies of the game. So that one might not be a must have.

Old 2018-01-08, 11:52 PM   #2079
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Nice! Get ready to dump in some hours - I think I'm at ~120, and I'm still going. Distractions, distractions!
Are you playing it primarily docked and if so are you using the joycons, w/ grip or the pro-controller?

I'm just wondering how much nicer the pro-controller really is.

Old 2018-01-09, 07:52 PM   #2080
Warcry

I've played a couple more PS4 games over the last few weeks.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a bit of a disappointment. It looked great, and the gameplay was a nice evolution on what we got in Human Revolution, but the story wasn't up to the franchise's usual standards. The typical Deus Ex game is all about unravelling conspiracies and finding answers to questions, but most of the game's big questions are left unanswered when Mankind Divided wraps up. Obviously that's to bait you into playing the sequel, but Deus Ex isn't a perennial AAA franchise that pumps out a new game every year. We probably won't see another instalment until 2020 at the soonest, and by then how many people are going to remember or care about all the loose ends from this game?

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, on the other hand, was a really pleasant surprise. The first Dishonored on the Xbox 360 was one of my favourite games of all time, but I wasn't sure what to expect out of this one. It actually began life as a DLC for Dishonored 2 (which I've yet to play), but during development it just got so far out of hand that they decided to release it as it's own "B" game for about half the price of a regular release. With that sort of a lineage I wasn't sure how well it would stand up on its own, but honestly the only way to tell that it's not a "full" game is that it's shorter than usual. There are fewer missions, but each mission offers just as much depth, as many areas to explore and as many ways to tackle a challenge as you could possibly ask for. And while the magical powers aren't quite as developed as the first game, they still open the game up to a huge variety of play styles that the designers probably didn't intend (for example, I've currently made "teleporting inside of people to make them explode" a key part of my combat strategy, and compensated for the damage that it does to my own character by crafting a charm that lets me cure around 1/4 of my health bar by eating any random bits of food lying around, letting me spam what is supposed to be a desperation move).

Quote:
I'd played the NES games a couple years ago so I started with LoZ: Link's Awakening DX and it was sooooo good. It was challenging enough for me but not so hard that I got at all frustrated with the game. I also liked that towards the end of the dungeons there would be a mini-boss that once defeated would open a warp between the entrance of the dungeon and the room with the mini-boss so if you died sometime after that fight you could just warp back to that min-boss room and continue from there. For a Gameboy game this thing is remarkably well designed. This has been my favourite Zelda game yet. Possibly because it's been the easiest I've played yet.
Link's Awakening really doesn't get the respect that it deserves. Not sure why. The dungeon design is neat, the story is easily the best out of the pre-3D Zeldas, and the gameplay is fun. The only real flaw with the thing is that there were only two "action" buttons available on the old Gameboy, so you're constantly pausing to switch items.

Quote:
I played and just completed last night Link to the Past and it was really good too. I see why this is a lot of people's favourite Zelda game. It's probably the most beautiful 2D game I've ever played. It was hard as balls though. Maybe I'm just not good but I have this game on Wii U virtual console and I exploited the hell out of being able to create a save point at any time I was playing, especially the last 4 dungeons. There's no way I would've been able to beat this thing without that advantage. Well, at least not without it taking twice as long.
It is definitely not easy, but I'm surprised that this is the one you'd single out as being especially hard after having played the NES games. Those are the ones that have always kicked my butt.

When I replayed Twilight Princess a few months ago, I honestly found myself wishing that the modern games were as punishing as ALTTP was. I never felt like I was in danger of being killed, not once, no matter how badly I screwed up or how many enemies I managed to find myself surrounded by.