• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2018-02-28, 08:14 PM   #1201
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
And the Batman/Batman Returns suit is way more iconic, so I really have no idea why this is even a thing at all.
That's really how I felt about it. Haven't seen them in the wild, but why start with this one? The Keaton one makes way more sense - and it would be a good way to get fans hooked on the line. Didn't it come out with the old TV Flash too? The show that lasted a whole season? The choices here are head-scratchers.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 06:37 PM   #1202
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

There was supposed to be a Linda Carter Wonder Woman in the set too, but I don't think it actually came out. The same thing happened with the Super Friends line, they put out half a wave (Batman and Green Lantern) and then it disappeared. I don't know if the Superman and Aquaman figures (which were supposed to be in the first wave) ever came out or ever will. Mattel is weird.

90s Flash was an odd choice though, for sure. Less strange now that the actor is on the new Flash show, but still strange. I dunno, if we're going to be getting figures from random decades-old superhero shows I think a Dean Cain Superman should have been way ahead of it on the list.

I'm assuming they made the Kilmer suit before the Keaton one because no one other than me would buy the Kilmer one if they already had the Keaton one. But even then, it's not like there's a scarcity of live-action Batman suits to make, and this one has to be one of the least memorable. Heck, even the Clooney outfits are probably more well-known. And even though the movie was terrible I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd buy it just because, well, how many George Clooney action figures are there?

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-10, 12:32 PM   #1203
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Nexo Knights 72001 Lance's Hover Jouster.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 04:37 PM   #1204
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Lego Speed Champions 75885 Ford Fiesta M-Sport WRC
I've been keeping an eye on the Speed Champions line, which has been getting more and more impressive each year. The sets for 2018 all look excellent and I couldn't resist the Fiesta, as I love Rally Cars. It's a surprisingly involved build and has a ton of pieces (and stickers), and I really like the end result. It's probably not the most successful translation of the Fiesta M-Sport - it's a little too boxy and upright - but as a model in it's own right, it's fantastic. It looks great and I love the arctic themed livery. As well as the usual interchangeable hubs, this also comes with a removeable bonnet which can be switched out for a funky light bar thing (technical term).

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 02:20 PM   #1205
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76099 Rhino Face-Off by the Mine &
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76100 Royal Talon Fighter Attack
After watching the Black Panther movie last weekend, I thought I would go out and buy the two sets that tie-in to it.

Lego Batman Movie 70919 The Justice League Anniversary Party
Bought this set as a tie-in to the Justice League movie.

Old 2018-03-17, 04:07 PM   #1206
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Lego Creator 31063 Beachside Vacation
Couldn't pass on this now it's on clearance. It's a really cute and charming set, not a million miles from the Beach Hut they did a few years ago. I love the hammock and brick built palm tree. The stripes of blue and cheery yellow doors are a good fit, and it's just a great, fun set. Less impressive are the brick built bird and turtle, but I don't mind them.

Old 2018-03-20, 03:11 PM   #1207
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
I'm assuming they made the Kilmer suit before the Keaton one because no one other than me would buy the Kilmer one if they already had the Keaton one.
This is probably the biggest reason. And heck, maybe they will put out a Clooney before getting to Keaton... if the line survives. Mattel never really seems to have a handle on what they are doing. How can they keep thinking the Multiverse line is the same price point as the superior Marvel Legends? Meanwhile also putting out the smaller, yet more expensive Icons line (dead), and now they're putting out these new movie/TV figures with slightly better engineering, all while trying to launch the new Essentials line (also more expensive) that will likely die in a few years too. It would be nice if they just upgraded the Multiverse line to today's 'standards' and kept the $20 price point.

On an acquisition note, we just got back from a family vacation to Florida to visit Legoland and Disney World. What a blast!!! I picked up a Legoland exclusive castle set (40306) while there, which is a tiny castle representing that section of the park. I couldn't resist it, since the kids and I rode the dragon roller coaster about 4 times since the wait was <15 minutes all day. The set comes with a minifig with a camera and is almost completely composed of 1x1 & 1x2 bricks/plates. It's super tiny and yet has 220 pieces!!! Plus, we got a couple sets for the kids (monster truck and an Elves set) and I threw in a couple of the minifig blind bags on a whim at the checkout - which put me over the threshold for a free Ninjago set to boot. All in all a good haul, and the kids have been playing with them ever since we came home.

Disney World shopping wasn't as fruitful (but the park was amazing!) since I was in the market for a Disney Toybox Darth Vader, which are only sold at Disney Stores. We managed to hit Disney Springs before we left, but they only had Kylo Ren, Rey, and a FO Stormtrooper. Luckily I managed to find an app online that snagged me a Darth Vader and a Kylo Ren for the same price as a single figure with free shipping. Those should arrive next week-ish. They're well articulated 5" figures in the style of Disney Infinity. Pretty stoked to get my hands on them, but I may also be disappointed. We'll see how it goes.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-31, 07:12 PM   #1208
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Star Wars 75200 Ahch-To Island Training.

Lego Star Wars 75176 Resistance Transport Pod.

Bought these two as a tie-in for the release of the Star Wars: Episode 8 Blu Ray.

Old 2018-04-01, 11:20 AM   #1209
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Lego Speed Champions 75884 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
The somewhat boxy nature of Lego really lends itself to classic car designs done out in bricks. And no finer example can be found than this model of one of the coolest car designs ever. Being British, the closest we got to these kind of sleek American muscle cars was er, the Ford Capri which instantly makes these kinds of cars all kinds of sexy. I love this thing. It gives me the same feeling of joy as the Corgi cars I used to have as a kid did - it's solid, looks fantastic in this dark green / black/ gold get up and best of all, it's a Lego set. Complete with retro-styled driver. The decals eschew much realism in favour of cute Lego themed sponsors, but I don't mind. I don't think we'll being seeing vehicles with alcohol and tobacco sponsors showing up and getting licensing for petroleum suppliers is probably budget prohibitive for a set of this size. In short: this is great.

Old 2018-04-03, 04:08 AM   #1210
Warcry

Walmart exclusives are always kind of a crapshoot around here. It seems like they're either plentiful or never get stocked at all. But my wife asked me to swing by the place on the way home to get something for dinner, and I checked out the toy department on the way through and stumbled on a Marvel Legends Thanos. He's basically a repack of the 2015 Thanos BAF (whose head and arm I've got rattling around in a drawer somewhere) with a more traditional colour scheme, a second "serious" head mold to go along with the previous "evil grin" head and a swappable Infinity Gauntlet. The various bits barely fit inside a standard Legends box, and when I picked it up off the shelf I was really surprised by how heavy it was. It's easy to see why it's not a part of a regular wave, but there's so much more plastic here than in a normal Legends figure that I'm a bit surprised it has the same MSRP.

Thanos is very impressive looking, with a very nice sculpt. The pearlescent blue plastic contrasts nicely with the more matte gold, and the dark purple face stands out from all of it. Unfortunately his articulation leaves a lot to be desired. All the joints are there, but none of them have a great range of motion. His elbows can't bend past 60 degrees or so. His shoulders don't have great mobility either. His hips have almost no outward movement at all and their forward-and-back range is hurt by the hip armour. The molding on the chest and back also doesn't help, leaving Thanos only able to lean forward one "click" and unable to lean back at all. I knew about all the complaints about the original BAF before I bought this one, but even then I'm a bit surprised by how restricted the mobility is. It's a shame because the figure looks great (way nicer than the old BAF), and it's a good value for what you get. It's just not all that much fun to play with or pose.

Old 2018-04-13, 08:38 PM   #1211
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Marvel Legends Domino
Fell in love with this figure from the moment promo shots were available online. In the plastic she doesn't disappoint either. She is beautiful. Seriously, she is, and it bothers me I find a 6" plastic toy attractive, but she's got such a pretty face. The simple black and white look is great and she's very nicely proportioned. She can strike a lot of cool poses and I like her hair and outfit too. I only know Domino from the Kyle/Yost/Crain run of X-Force from a few years back, and she stands up well to that design. Not so sure about the purple sparkly guns she has though. It's like with Scourge and his bright red and yellow guns - are people really going to think guns at this scale are real firearms? Have things got that daft, or is it just some odd design tick I'm unaware of?

Marvel Legends Songbird
Warren Ellis & Mike Deodato's run on Thunderbolts is one of my favourite comic runs, and I was pleased when Songbird was announced for the Legends treatment. Getting her in the same week as Domino and Ghost Rider means I'm not a impressed by her as I should be. She's a great figure, with some superb paint apps and design work. She looks great and the re-use of the phoneix fire-brid power effect in pink is appropriate. I really wish we could get stands packed in with some figures though. Songbird needs a stand! Especially as they've given her two outstretched 'I am flying' hands. Still super pleased to own her. I was all up for seeing if I could put together the team, but Moonstone's a ridiculous exclusive, so maybe not. Plus, I don't know if Hasbro have done Mac Gargan's Venom or a Penance figure yet...

Marvel Legends Ghost Rider
I missed out on the earlier Blaze GR that was put out in 2013 or whenever, so this version, with his Skull Cycle, is a real treat (especially as it's cheaper than that earlier figure is on the aftermarket). Like with the earlier ToyBiz Blaze Rider + Cycle, this is an annoyingly great set (can't we get some love for Ketch ,or Alejandra, Zero Cochrane - that would be amazing - or even Robbie Reyes with his Hell Charger). The body (a reuse of Starlord and some other bits, I believe) is great, but the way the flame and skull have been done is superb. The skull is painted up in a more realistic hue, which is awesome. The bike is fantastic too, although I'm now wishing I'd left all the rubber bands on, as the flames like to fall off - as does the skull at the front. The whipping chain that's igniting with flame looks fantastic too, even though the pedant in me keeps going 'but Zarathos never used a chain...!', and this whole thing just looks incredible.

Hasbro are really knocking it out of the park with the Legends line, aren't they? I always hesitate a bit about picking these up and am very selective, because they aren't cheap, but they are properly brilliant figures.

Old 2018-04-13, 11:24 PM   #1212
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Not so sure about the purple sparkly guns she has though. It's like with Scourge and his bright red and yellow guns - are people really going to think guns at this scale are real firearms? Have things got that daft, or is it just some odd design tick I'm unaware of?
Since I'm in the midst of reading through the 90s X-books, I think I can answer this! Domino usually has some purple in her colour scheme in the older stuff. If I had to guess, I think Hasbro figured that (a) she should have something purple, and (b) who cares what colour her crazy space guns are anyway, so they just rolled with it.

I've got a Domino en route from Amazon myself. Hopefully I like it as much as you do!

Quote:
She looks great and the re-use of the phoneix fire-brid power effect in pink is appropriate.
I don't know that this is even a reuse, unless it's a really old one that they dusted off. Neither of the recent Phoenix figures have come with an effect like this, even though I wish they had!

Songbird looks fantastic, but I don't really know the character and there are so many other Legends coming out this year that I want, that I don't think I'll end up getting one.

Quote:
(can't we get some love for Ketch ,or Alejandra, Zero Cochrane - that would be amazing - or even Robbie Reyes with his Hell Charger).
I so, so wish they'd used a different Ghost Rider design with this cycle. I actually do have the previous one from a few years ago, and it's so much nicer than this new deco that I just can't talk myself into buying this set, even though I'd really like the bike.

Quote:
Hasbro are really knocking it out of the park with the Legends line, aren't they? I always hesitate a bit about picking these up and am very selective, because they aren't cheap, but they are properly brilliant figures.
They've gotten better every year since I've started buying, to the point where I spend almost as much on them as I do Transformers. Even though, like you, I try to be really, really careful about what I buy because they're damned expensive.

My wife apparently just grabbed a Mr. Fantastic for me, and I've got Domino and 90s Cable in the mail. You'd think that would be enough to sate me for now, but I just can't wait until the Apocalypse and Sauron waves hit! I'm super hyped for Wolverine, Storm, Bishop and Gladiator in particular.

Old 2018-04-14, 06:19 PM   #1213
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76102 Thor's Weapon Quest.

Lego Batman Movie 70912 Arkham Asylum.

This was a TRU Lay-By that I thought I'd better finish off just in case TRU Australia goes under.

Old 2018-04-15, 12:34 PM   #1214
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
If I had to guess, I think Hasbro figured that (a) she should have something purple, and (b) who cares what colour her crazy space guns are anyway, so they just rolled with it.
That explains that then! I just thought they'd look nicer in gunmetal, even though they're not realistic.

Quote:
I don't know that this is even a reuse, unless it's a really old one that they dusted off. Neither of the recent Phoenix figures have come with an effect like this, even though I wish they had!
I just assumed it was, as it looks very bird-like.

Quote:
Songbird looks fantastic
Yes she does!

Quote:
I so, so wish they'd used a different Ghost Rider design with this cycle.
I'm guessing it's because Blaze is back in action in Doctor Strange at the moment, and he's the definitive version for a lot of people. Not me though. One thing I really like about this figure is how they've coloured him to look like that dark blue they used to use in comics to represent black. The bike is really nice, although I don't know if I like it more than the Skull Cycle Toy Biz did. No pegs for the figure's feet to peg onto, for one thing. Overall though, it's pretty cool looking and looks awesome on display. Still would love a Ketch version with his bike, which I always thought looked amazing

Old 2018-04-19, 04:30 PM   #1215
Warcry

So Amazon went and screwed up my order for Cable and Domino. They were listed as in stock when I ordered them and for several hours after that, but clearly they oversold them because they don't have any to send me and I have to wait until they get more cases in. Which would be cool if they'd listed them as a preorder, but when I checked out the site told me I'd have them by Monday (i.e. three days ago). So that sucks. Boo Amazon!

But I do have Mr. Fantastic, and he is...well, not quite as fantastic as I'd hoped.

They tooled up a new torso for him, which was a great idea because Reed is usually slim but not musclebound. The new parts do a good job of reflecting that. Unfortunately, the torso is the only new part. He reuses Pizza Spidey's legs and I think his arms too, so he winds up with an normal physique on his upper body but rippling muscles in his thighs. It's not super noticeable unless you're looking for it, but it's disappointing that they'd go to the effort of making a "normal guy" torso and give him "super athlete" limbs. He's got the swappable "stretch" arms as well, which look nice. They're not jointed, but they're made from a pliable plastic so you can get some bend in them if you want. They're not quite as bendy as I'd hoped, but I suppose heating them up would help with that. Reed's powers are up there with Kitty Pryde's on the "difficulty to make an action figure of" scale, but I'd say that this does a pretty good job of embodying them in plastic form.

He comes with a tiny little doodad that I'm told is an Ultimate Nullifier, which I suppose would mean more to me if I'd read any actual F4 comics and not just gotten to know them via '80s X-Men crossovers. I really wish he came with a pipe to smoke, but in this day and age that was never a real possibility, and he's probably not allowed to smoke his Dad Pipe in the comics anymore anyway.

The head sculpt is great too, one of the nicest unmasked faces I've seen on a Hasbro figure. Looks a bit like George Clooney in his younger days.

Overall, it's a nice addition to the team but I wish they'd invested just a bit more into making some slimmer limbs. Not just for Reed, but for all the other characters down the line who'd look a lot better using a mold that wasn't as ripped as a WWE wrestler at the height of the steroid era.

Quote:
I just assumed it was, as it looks very bird-like.
It would be a perfect fit for a Phoenix figure, for sure. It's just a shame that they did both well-known Phoenix schemes right before Songbird here came out, else I'm sure they'd have reused this part for one of them.

Quote:
I'm guessing it's because Blaze is back in action in Doctor Strange at the moment, and he's the definitive version for a lot of people. Not me though. One thing I really like about this figure is how they've coloured him to look like that dark blue they used to use in comics to represent black. The bike is really nice, although I don't know if I like it more than the Skull Cycle Toy Biz did. No pegs for the figure's feet to peg onto, for one thing. Overall though, it's pretty cool looking and looks awesome on display. Still would love a Ketch version with his bike, which I always thought looked amazing
I think it was a money-saving move more than anything else. Ghost Rider's bike looks way bigger and more intricate than the one they shipped with Black Widow, so they probably had to make the figure a straight repaint to keep the budget in line.

I'm not super in love with the blue colouring here, but I do like that they did something different so that the figure will stand out from the previous Ghost Rider. Hopefully that'll keep those folks who already own the last one but buy this for the bike from feeling ripped off.

I'm pretty sure that every GR story I've ever read has starred Ketch, while the only fiction I've seen with Blaze has been the godawful Nic Cage movies, so I'm with you on that front. I'm honestly not sure the costume is different enough that I'd want both. I think the pants were grey and he had 90s "badass" metal studs everywhere? But I'd be mighty tempted if it was the costume and the bike.

My Blaze GR beat up my Black Series Biker Scout and stole his speeder, but it's not quite the same.

Old 2018-04-21, 11:15 AM   #1216
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

The Ultimate Nullifier was the device the Watcher sent Johnny Storm to retrieve to defeat Galactus in the classic FF#48-50 (volume 1) by Lee/ Kirby. So now you know!

With GR, a lot of the style of Ketch's GR has been merged with Blaze now, so in comics at the moment, Blaze is riding around looking like Ketch's GR (black leathers, beefy, Spikes) on a slim-looking stunt cycle. I'm such a GR pedant that this bugs me. I get why Marvel used Ketch's look for Blaze, but it's not right for his character. Blaze was all '70s leather jumpsuits and Evel Kenievel and both he and Zarathos were quite althletic and slim, built for stunts and fast manouvering.

Ketch was a slightly more stocky guy, and so was his GR and his cycle was a big muscular thing like a Harley and whole combo gave you this impression of a powerful, heavy bruiser and the mix of the two aesthetics we get these days just doesn't look right to me. Jason Aaron and Roland Borschi understood this when they worked on GR, doing only minor tweaks, like giving Ketch a duster coat (which looked awesome) and a mean looking meat-hook chain thing. Ditto the dude who's name I forget (which annoys me, because I loved his work and enthusiastic design notes) who did some redesigns for the Ghost Riders Battleworld mini-series.

At least in toy form, they've managed too keep the visual identity of each GR 'right', so that's something at least. Man, I should get out more. It's just comics...!

Old 2018-04-28, 08:10 PM   #1217
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76104 The Hulkbuster Smash-Up.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76103 Corvus Glaive Thresher Attack.

Lego Architecture 21032 Architecture Sydney.

Old 2018-04-29, 10:49 AM   #1218
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Marvel Legends Jack O'Lantern
Horrible skinny fella with a massive flaming pumpkin for a head, riding around on a flaming broomstick with a mean looking sycthe and a pumpkin bomb. Looks fantastic, the detailing and paintwork is excellent and he has some cracking articulation. There's something about the joints and construction that makes this feel like an old Toy Biz figure, though. It all works in a similar way to their old Hobgoblin figure.

Marvel Legends Hellcat
I was amazed to find Marvel had done a figure of Patsy. And snapped one up when I found that she seems to be one of those less popular characters so was only 13 with shipping. Compared to what Marvel are doing now with their female characters, she doesn't stand up so well (and this figure is only 3 years old!). Mainly I think because of how she's clearly a composite of other parts - she has very athletic thighs coupled with a very lithe upper body and arms, so looks a bit odd. Paintwork is generally great, with some nice shading. Head sculpt is great and I like the flowing hair.

Old 2018-05-05, 07:18 PM   #1219
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76101 Outrider Dropship Attack.

Old 2018-05-12, 05:37 AM   #1220
Warcry

Amazon finally bothered to send me my Marvel Legends Domino, only a month after I ordered it. Still no sign of Cable.

Dom really does look great! The costume is a ton simpler than what I'm used to from the 90s comics, but the simple black and steel grey look really contrasts with her chalk-white skin. I like the purple sci-fi guns because silly stuff like that reminds me of the era of comics that the character was created in, but I totally get why others might not.

The face sculpt is every bit as pretty as Skyquake said. Hasbro's sculptors have really upped their game when it comes to unmasked heads over the last year or so, and it even shows when you line Domino up with figures like Rogue or Scarlett Witch that aren't even bad. Domino just looks so much more lifelike, somehow. I'm not sure how to describe it well.

Does she always look this young in the series this outfit comes from? Considering the character's history and how she's portrayed in X-Force she should be in her late 30s at least. But as sculpted she looks young enough to get carded wherever she goes.