• transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2018-09-08, 06:44 AM   #6161
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Some bits from The Entertainer's recent sale...

TLK Legion Crosshairs & Drift
Don't really care for the characters, Crosshairs is a cocky prick and Drift is all the worst cliches of western ideas of Japan and ninjas, but these are surprisingly ace tiny toys. Both look great in robot mode and have decent Transformations. Drift in particular is great, packing a less eye searing red than his Premier Edition figure and nicer paint apps overall.

In another example of the baffling world of retail, another new TF line arrives at The Entertainer and is straight away plonked on sale with 20% or more off the standard RRP...

Studio Series Crowbar
I was thinking of going for Stinger, but the figure looks so plain, just gang molded in red plastic with some ever-awesome black clip on wheels, so I skipped it in favour of Crowbar. Who is excellent... if a little annoying in places. Robot mode is superb, nice and creepy with some nice detailing and sculpting. He's gangly, hunched and spiky and I love his muzzled face and painted eyes. The long dreads look brilliant and I like his horrible looking barbs that he wields. He's a total shell-former, as the other dreads are, and tucking his dreadlocks away is a task and you can feel them trying to get out. Which is annoying. I wish these could have been hinged to fold away or made out of a slightly more pliable material.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-09, 11:32 PM   #6162
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Got a few new things over the past few weeks, but the first things to mention are movie masterpiece bumblebee and barricade. Well... yeah, they're pretty much masterpieces. Unlike all their other figures, more work went into the three dimensionality of the designs. Less parts cheating, more attention paid to the robot back, etc. The use of die cast metal gives them a nice heft, and it's used sensibly to help stability instead of hinder it. I like them... if they continue with the movie masterpieces sparingly, I could easily see myself collecting these.

I also bought robotmasters smokesniper and gigant bomb off Ebay in a very pleasant exchange. They were the only figures of the line I had skipped back in the day, and finding primal and megatron a few weeks ago set that fire alight. Also, I got a junker metroplex to swap parts on since my own got badly yellowed from morning sunlight over the past few years. Be wary of east and west facing windows, people!

Also, since I could never find a picture beforehand, here are prowl and barricade together.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 04:15 PM   #6163
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
Put the mis-stickered wings in with the 2nd Starscream, along with the partially used sticker sheet, so the box contains 1 complete Starscream figure, just with some stickers already applied. Then, return that to the store. Given how poorly distribution goes, this might be the only chance for some lucky TF fan to find Starscream in store.

It's like the Stinger I saw at my local Walmart. Somone had clearly bought him, attempted to transform him, failed, shoved the resulting eldritch abomination back into the box, and returned him. It's not there anymore, so I assume someone bought it. It was the only Stinger on the shelf.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. And honestly, the logos aren't applied in any haphazard way, they're really off by about 1 mm, but just enough to irk me. And I think you're right, someone will come by and snatch it without issue as their only chance to grab one.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 12:39 AM   #6164
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
That's probably what I'll end up doing. And honestly, the logos aren't applied in any haphazard way, they're really off by about 1 mm, but just enough to irk me. And I think you're right, someone will come by and snatch it without issue as their only chance to grab one.
So, did I talk you out of cutting me a deal on the tail fins and ammo I PMed you about? Dammit. Oh well. If TLK Hotrod's any indication, the Walmart exclusives reissues will end up at discounters next year.

Speaking of discounters, I got TLK Strafe, Crosshairs, and Drift at Ollie's for $5 each. I already have the AoE versions. But, Drift's heavily remolded, Crosshairs has an all plastic coat which should outlast the rubber one, and Strafe was, well, probably a waste of $5. He may end up at work while AoE stays home.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 02:33 PM   #6165
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
So, did I talk you out of cutting me a deal on the tail fins and ammo I PMed you about? Dammit. Oh well.
No, no, not at all. I'll send you a PM later today.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 06:06 PM   #6166
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

POTP Outback.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 09:10 AM   #6167
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Studio Series Leader Class Blackout
Bought before I miss the Entertainers current discounting of the line and because Blackout is probably my favourite Movie 'bot; thanks to that opening scene from the first film. I had the '07 figure some years back, but he's long gone and the Studio Series has caught my eye as a way to pick up the movie cast in a range that's consistent and not having to deal with play gimmicks like 'Mech Alive' or 'Mech Tech'. Blackout is huge. He's a lovely, bulky chap with a fun transformation that treads a fine line between something to actually transform and a shell-former. Articulation is nixed by his bulk and he misses having wrists, but is best just left around looming like the monster he is. The pack-in Scorponok is excellent, really nicely painted and detailed and a fun little thing. Helicopter looks good and am glad they went with a consistent approach of static wheels, rather than as often happens, the front ones move and the rear ones don't. Sadly the main rotor doesn't spin as freely as I'd like, but that's a minor complaint on what is otherwise a fab movie leader class toy.

Old 2018-09-16, 03:42 PM   #6168
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

I've opened some of the figures I mentioned her.

TLK Hot Rod is my favorite, so far. Other movie verse cars I've bought recently (SS Lockdown, TLK Drift, Crosshairs, and Cogman) have followed the same formula. The sides of the vehicle become limb kibble, with a wheel on each upper arm and lower leg. The roof of the car shellforms into a backpack.

Hot Rod does something different. First, (most of) the hood forms the chest, so the robot mode actually looks like it's made of a car. The sides form the arms only, with a wheel on each shoulder and elbow, making for beefy arms and kibble free legs. The roof of the car does end up at the figure's back. But, most of this actually becomes the figure's back, keeping the figure upright. Only the windshield and center sliver of roof are a backpack.

The drawback to this is a hollow torso, like SS Megatron. But, the gap is propotionally smaller, with some roof bits folding into place to cover most of it. The arms are bulky enough that you can't see the rest. It's only noticable from above. he also lacks weapons, but I don't mind.

TLK Drift is alright. He follows the formula, but does it better than most, without parts getting in the way of each other. He's more fun to transfrom than the others.

TLK Crosshairs is less impressive. They replaced the rubber coat parts with plastic since the rubber tabs had a tendency to tear. But, the plastic parts have no way to connect to the torso. So, either way you have coat parts just flopping around. This is also the first figure I've had where a clip on wheel falls off regularly; unusally I just dislike them because they don't roll well.

On the plus side, the lighter deco used in the torso makes the coat effect look better than the AoE version. AoE has black abs, thighs, and coat, making him look like a black blob with bot parts sticking out of the top and bottom. TLK has silver abs and thighs, with black and green coat parts which stand out much better. I also prefer TLK's two hand guns to AoE shotgun & 2 pistols.

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Old 2018-09-18, 10:59 PM   #6169
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Remembering that old (1992 era) toys exist, with a twist -- inspired by Guard City with a bit more visual interest. I'm imaging a later era in the war where Inferno and Prowl are retooled and not all of the Protectobots survived / stayed on planet. Or it could be a Groove alternative... let's say Sparkride so there's at least one GC member.

Also it's a shame the Kidrobot Madballs aren't more available in the UK, but I snagged an eBay lot of their keychains from a HK seller with a couple of characters from each original assortment.

Would love to go more completist and get any/all of the rest, but apart from the lack of availability and blind box bullshit, they've missed out Splitting Headache in favour of a glow-in-the-dark second version of Oculus Orbus --

https://www.kidrobot.com/collections...ychains-series

Even further off-topic, surprised by how much old stuff seems familiar -- http://blarghhhspot.blogspot.com/ -- the UK also got a lot of lines such as Spitballs and these -- http://www.littleweirdos.net/2014/07...revisited.html

Last edited by Denyer; 2018-09-18 at 11:13 PM.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-20, 01:35 AM   #6170
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

PotP Inferno - I've only fiddled with him a little bit, but I'm impressed so far. He seems to hold together a lot better than Hot Spot, especially in torso mode. The legs tab together much better, as does the chest to the torso. The bucket in fire truck mode will hold a TM/PM, though he has to sit on the hinge so as not to topple out at the slightest movement. It's too bad they didn't mold a TM foot peg in the bucket.

Although he's a good figure, he doesn't really strike me as Inferno. The chest deco is supposed to invoke his G1 mode, with yellow representing the roof mounted lights, and a black panel represening the windshield. I appreciate the effort. The truck looks more like movie Sentinal Prime than Inferno.

I'm using him with CW Sunstreaker, Streetwise, First Aid, Mirage, and Legends Groove to make Universe Defensor. Most of the vehicles are in the wrong position, and the F1 racer and motorcycle have swapped colors. But, I'm satisfied. My Blades is part of all redd Betatron, so my G1 Defensor limbs were Deluxe Groove, First Aid, Streetwise, and Rook, which made for a rather dull color scheme.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Defensor.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	11862  

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Old 2018-09-23, 08:24 AM   #6171
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Studio Series Stinger
I cracked and picked one up whilst they're still on sale, because I do like the look of Stinger. The figure is actually pretty great. Could have used a little more black on the head, but otherwise not as all red as I'd feared. Posing is decent, and I like the blade things (which are a bit annoying, as they fall off quite a lot). Transformation is really clever, although I find getting the roof into place a bit tricky as there isn't enough clearance in the joint on the arm to lift it up and over to clip into position. Alt mode looks excellent, but the coat hanger assembly those blade pieces sit on protrudes too far down to allow the rear wheels to reach the ground, at least on my example, so I've taken to removing the piece entirely when transforming to vehicle mode, which then allows it to roll about properly. Although not very well because of those crappy cheap clip on wheels.

Old 2018-09-23, 01:58 PM   #6172
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Sjyquake - I had a similar issue with Stinger's rear wheels not touching the ground the first time I transfromed him. It turns out I was mistransforming the coat hanger thing slightly. On future transformations, all 4 wheels have touched the ground without issue. Unfortunately, it was a subtle enough difference that I still don't know what I did wrong the first time, so I can't explain what you need to do differently. Just that you shouldn't need to detach anything.

Maybe is was putting the coat hanger thing in place before the legs?

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Old 2018-09-23, 08:31 PM   #6173
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Could be. Instructions don't help. I wish Hasbro wouldn't print instructions using dark colours on dark paper (probably in a dark room, in a dark place, in deepest darkest darktown).

Old 2018-09-23, 10:02 PM   #6174
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm using him with CW Sunstreaker, Streetwise, First Aid, Mirage, and Legends Groove to make Universe Defensor.
Also a neat idea. And a red fire truck could work as RID Prime too, and people have been doing Pyro kitbashes... Hasbro came up with a neat redeco with this one.

Old 2018-09-26, 12:20 AM   #6175
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Floppy as **** (the gun overbalances it and calls for several joints to be ratcheted back a notch) plus those ankle connections plus there's a small internal torso connector apparently missing on the Slog I got... but still a very nice collection goal. Aiming to display with the original shells when I get them out.

Old 2018-09-27, 10:17 AM   #6176
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

The FP monstructor is out already?

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 07:10 PM   #6177
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Yeah, Andy doesn't invoice until stuff's basically on the way, and that was a good week ago. A lot of it's down to luck of freight shipping schedules unless sellers go for premium options (not sure what the various UK dealers do).

Punch/CP turned up today too, so I think that's TFs for the next while.

edit: Since they were at the top of a storage tub...

Last edited by Denyer; 2018-09-28 at 07:06 PM.
Old 2018-09-29, 05:32 PM   #6178
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Cyberverse Decepticon Shockwave - I think that for the most part the Warrior size class will be the main class that will be collecting from this toy line.

POTP Megatronus
POTP Quintus Prime
POTP Solus Prime

These are the last of the regular release Prime Masters that I'm after, barring any that are pack-ins with other figures like Predaking or Punch/Counter-Punch.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-30, 08:52 AM   #6179
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Studio Series Grimlock
I've no major love for the movie Dinobots, the spiky aesthetic doesn't really do it for me - they look like some '90s EXTREME toyline, only without the neon. But this figure really caught my eye. It's a Transformer figure from Hasbro, with the nicest paint apps I've seen them do since... RiD 2001..? There's a good choice of base plastic colours mixed in with this beautiful black / teal dry-brushing and it looks incredible. Grimlock himself is enormous fun. He's chunky and beefy and has a silly mace hand and looks brutal. Transformation takes two minutes and the dino mode looks fab too. Articulation isn't brilliant, but its okay and the thing looks awesome on display and is probably the best version of the movie guy committed to plastic, making earlier toys (even 2017s Last Knight one) look very sad indeed.

Old 2018-10-01, 06:40 PM   #6180
Sunrunner
Seeker

POTP Punch turned up today. 1st impressions are good, nice transformation between modes, nothing groundbreaking.
Given this is a special edition figure, you'd think they could have included Counterpunch's gun rather than having him share Punch's. I would certainly have taken this over the superfluous Prime Armor that is included. I get that this is because the figure is from POTP and that was the gimmick, but as he is not a combiner limb it does seem a bit pointless...

Sunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote