• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2006-03-27, 05:22 AM   #1
DrSpengler
Primus

Default Headmasters Manga #8: "Epilogue" Translated!

This is the Epilogue to the Headmasters anime, taking place shortly after Mega Zarak explodes and all the Decepticons are driven from Earth, but before the Autobots leave on-board Fortress and Spike, Carly and Daniel wave them good-bye.

http://tfarchive.com/comics/japanese/trans307.php

Some notes on my translation if you care:

My biggest problem is finding the right line between being literal and being snappy. If I keep it too literal the thing sounds really stupid (well, stupider than it already is) but if I punch-up the dialogue too much, people will accuse me of being too inaccurate. I'm still working on finding that middle area, but I'd like to think I'm doing better than I did when I first started translating these things.

In Japan, Soundwave/Blaster talks with a lot more emotion. It's easy to forgive when watching the show, as he still has that familiar electronic-voice going for him, but when trying to read his lines it looks totally bizarre. So I kept his dialgue accurate to the source, but tried to make it sound more "Soundwavey". Basically, I just sucked out all the emotion and swear words.

There was an art error with Rodimus Convoy's big appearance. The huge dialogue box reads "It's Rodimus Convoy!" but is shown to be coming from...Rodimus Convoy. D'oh! So I made it say "It's just me, Rodimus Convoy!" as that's similar enough to the original dialogue and also sounds like the kind of snotty thing Rodimus would say.

And Rumble/Frenzy really does call Soundblaster his "big brother" in that scene. I don't recall them ever refering to Soundwave in a family-sorta way in any of the American episodes, so I thought that was interesting.

Yes, I KNOW the story is stupid...but that's not *my* fault. That's why I pick and choose which issues I translate; try to only do "the best or most important ones", as some of these things are SO mind-bogglingly dumb they make Beast Wars II look like Shakespeare.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 2006-03-27 at 05:25 AM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 01:13 PM   #2
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I love how Rodimus was just watching and not doing anything to help when it looks like Spike is going to be eaten...

I found Six Shot's speech a bit odd, first he says Earth is his priority, then thay he's goign to bugger of to other planets.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 06:45 PM   #3
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I love how Rodimus was just watching and not doing anything to help when it looks like Spike is going to be eaten...

I found Six Shot's speech a bit odd, first he says Earth is his priority, then thay he's goign to bugger of to other planets.
Well, AFTER he learns how to Transform into the shape of an Earthling.

Which doesn't make sense to me, since isn't his robot mode vaguely humanoid, anyway?

He was probably being metaphorical...

Old 2006-03-27, 06:51 PM   #4
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

It's deliberately set up as a joke/surprise ending, isn't it? A human aiming to become a Transformer, a Transformer aiming to become human.

Probably with some connotations about transforming/changing oneself and one's world thrown in.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 06:53 PM   #5
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Perhaps they allready knew the Pretenders were coming and Sixy's speech was meant to preempt that? Perhaps he even invents the technology and then shares it with everyone...

Old 2006-03-27, 07:20 PM   #6
DrSpengler
Primus

Now that I think about it, that ending does seem to be setting up the Pretenders a bit. Sixshot saying he wants to Transform into an Earthling, Soundblaster remarking about how fascinating the concept is, and the ending narration telling us that Earth will not go unguarded and that good stuff is coming.

I just figured it was more Japanese pseudo-philosophical babble.
Huh.

Old 2006-03-27, 07:27 PM   #7
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
I just figured it was more Japanese pseudo-philosophical babble.
Huh.
Can't it be both?

It was mice to see Daniel have his first change of cloaths since 2005 in the last panel as well...

Old 2006-03-27, 07:38 PM   #8
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Can't it be both?

It was mice to see Daniel have his first change of cloaths since 2005 in the last panel as well...
That's another thing, that last panel apparantly takes place well-after the events in the issue. So Daniel's just running around screaming "TRANSFORM!!!" for no reason?

Rodimus should've never called him a Transformer.

Old 2006-03-27, 07:42 PM   #9
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Well that's simple enough to explain- It's been six years (chrolologicly) since the Movie but poor old Daniel hasn't aged a day- Clearly he's urging himself to "Transform" into someone old enough to buy beer and get laid.

Unless that's Six Shoot in a Daniel Pretender shell.

Old 2006-03-27, 08:04 PM   #10
DrSpengler
Primus

What's funny is that Sixshot never learned how to transform into an Earthling.

Next time we see him the only thing he's changed is his name and colorscheme, and all he's added is a rhino-mode.

Sixshot, you loser.

Old 2006-03-27, 08:06 PM   #11
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Wait- Isn't that supposed to be a different charecter latter on? I thought Star TV allways got beat up for calling him Six Shoot (as they do for say, calling the Thunderwing repaint Thunderwing).

Old 2006-03-27, 08:12 PM   #12
DrSpengler
Primus

I don't think it was ever explicitly said in the series, but I believe Greatshot was intended to be Sixshot with an upgrade. Or so I've been told.

StarTv's "Sixshot" in Masterforce was Sixknight, a totally different character for certain.

Old 2006-03-27, 08:14 PM   #13
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Perhaps he succeded at becoming a human, but would up as Harry Knowles? Realising his mistake he quickly changed back.

Old 2006-04-22, 12:48 AM   #14
UltraRodimus-Magnus

those were horrible. But the Tfs did look ok.

The key to Vector Sigma
UltraRodimus-Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote