Spider-Man 3 (WHOOP WHOOP!)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Spider-Man 3 (WHOOP WHOOP!)

Post by DrSpengler »

Sades

Post by Sades »

Fastest review ever. Midnight screening?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Saw it yesterday morning, and was incredibly pleased.

I do agree that the symbiote's introduction was a little tacked on, but Venom was amazing, and the scene in the bell tower was spot on.

More when others have seen it.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Like Spengler's, that this is my favourite installment of what now is my favourite super-hero series.

There are two things I'd do differently though and I hoped that it would happen this way while I was watching.
SPOILER! (select to read)
a) I thought it would be cooler if Harry was faking the amnesia; he would be more of a shrew that way
b) I correctly suspected that the final battle would be two on two but was expecting Sandman ending up on Spider-Man's side. It would corelate with point a) and Harry being a bastard (well, more of a bastard than he was) plus Flint wasn't totally evil, especially when you take into account how his feud with Spider-Man ended. Harry's sacrifice wouldn't be so obvious, either. C'mon, who of you didn't expect that he'd end up saving Peter's life and giving his?
There's no warning in the topic, so just in case I used tags. :)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Seeing it in 3 hours, I'll post my thoughts later tonight. Can't wait.
Markus
Protoform

Post by Markus »

If you loved Dancing with the Stars, this movie is for you
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

God, aparently we do miss out. Do they only dance for five minutes and beat the crap out of each other for the remaining ninety five in verions in other countries? Cause they don't in Polish one. I'd watch it if they did. :(
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I saw it earlier, hilarious, breath-taking, brilliant.

My favourite super-hero movie ever, best action, best character moments, best Brucie moment, the dancing in the street bit what fantastic
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
I saw it earlier, hilarious, breath-taking, brilliant.

My favourite super-hero movie ever, best action, best character moments, best Brucie moment, the dancing in the street bit what fantastic

Completely agreed. Not to mention the Emo Peter Parker. "Must look more angry *hairflopsdown*
I really don't get all the negative reviews I've seen this getting. It was ****ing brilliant.

Someone compared it to Batman And Robin. ...

I had one gripe, and really one gripe only. Venom. Not his design or anything but that he called himself "I" and not "We". I grew up with 90s cartoon, so yeah.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

For a while, in the comics at least, that was a little bit of a hint on who was actually talking - Eddie or the Symbiote. "I" would generally be Eddie, "We" would be the Symbiote.

Not sure how long that lasted, though. I got out of comics about then.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Just saw it. Overall I liked it very much. :up:

The only real negatives for me were that A) I felt the plot was too rushed, too compressed, they were trying to hit too many beats in their allotted time. The best parts of these Spiderman movies IMO has been when they slow down and just let some things happen slowly. And B) I didn't like how much of the action was completely CGI. A lot of it was too fast and choppy and close and all the flying through a billion things got in the way of clarity most of the time. They got it right several times though, like when
Peter dives through the falling wreckage to save Gwen as she falls.
The bit where
Peter gets cocky and starts strutting around was pure gold.
Tobey Maguire needs to do some more film roles where he can do things like this, hes always playing the shy sensitive type, but he was hilarious here.

So, yeah, really liked it, but it felt a little rushed.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Zisteau
Tobey Maguire needs to do some more film roles where he can do things like this, hes always playing the shy sensitive type, but he was hilarious here.

Yeah, in all the roles I've seen him in hes played someone either very shy or reserved (and he comes across incredibly so in interviews) but number three really showed alot of his skill, for a start when he was peter being a pr*ck you actually felt it, he didnt seem at all uncomfortable in playing the arsehole role, and yeah also he can be a pretty fun guy too.

I'm not saying I want him to take on bad guy roles, because it wouldnt suit, but I dont think he'd find it hard to play jus an average guy who's not willing to take crap from anyone. Kinda like Michael J Fox's characters in some of his films.

Some other bits about the film
I absolutely loved the scene in which Sandman was attempting to recompose, it was tragically poetic, heart wreching and tear jerking, possibly my favourite part of the film. Ok they did something which I hate, the whole "oh look lets go microscopic on him and see that his genetic makeup has been drastically affected" I dont mind it, but its used so often (in other superhero films also, not just this one) But yeah it was fantastic, I just loved it when he was trying so hard and would crumble
I saw it at a 1pm, showing and it was pretty empty in the cinema, probs a third full, and half the crowd clapped and cheered at the end.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I loved 'Teh Emo Peter'.

Great film. Seen it twice now. Like all the Spider-man films it's better second time. All the parts were superb and the action was sweet. The story had a really bitter sweet feel to it through out.

Oh and 'Teh Emo Parker' dancing was genius :yes:
Venom was well realised.n the biggest complaint was the he didn't do 'we' speak but that wasn't even noticeable unless you wanted it (i was never arsed) and Sandman was a really sympathetic villian done well. I think James Franco was the standout though. His character ark and acting was superb. He totally convince as evil Harry and innocent Harry.

The only minor criticisms had to be the TV reporter. I was dazed as to why sceens kept heading back to her :wtf:

Oh, and apparently
There are several sinister six references through out. I caught the 'Doc Oct still at large' behind JJJ but apparently there are more
Oh an Betty trying to keep JJJ from blowing his load in anger was brillaint. I couldn't stop laughing :lol:
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

WOOO!!!! Spiderman sounds great so far! Can't wait to see it tomorrow.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I liked it, but damn was it dark. I was completely unprepared for how dark they were willing to go and how emotionally drained I'd be after the ending.

It may have been that the ending was kind of sad, but I didn't come out of that one feeling the same way after the first two and I really hope they make a fourth movie and make it soon so that it doesn't leave this bad taste in my mouth.
1 - Sandman was too sympathetic of a villain and everything about him robbed time that could have been spent elsewhere in the movie. I was half expecting him and Peter to hug at the end.

2 - Harry's death was saddening, but his deformation was devastating. I think the thing caused the ending to be so sad for me was Harry's penance for his desire for revenge.

3 - Pacing and humor were way off in this one. I agree that the insane 70's strut montage was funny, but did we need that much time spent on it, when we could have used that time on a less open ending.

4 - The ending really had me bummed out, which is a good thing in a way since I was emotionally invested. I don't think that every movie should have a happy ending or even that this one needed one, but this wasn't a good end to the franchise. It feels like a middle movie ending to me.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
4 - It feels like a middle movie ending to me.

With regards to that, it was one since the series was scheduled for six films.
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

POTENTIAL SPOILER

Only Disappointments were:

A. The whole "augmentation of aggression" thing with the symbiote... I could see outright anger, but the kinda agression that comes out when he's be-boppin' down the streets is just a bit absurd t me. Tho again, I'm far too uptight when it comes to the symbiote.

B. Symbiote: sorta a lame introduction, and the fact that it took THAT LONG to attach to parker just seemed absurd. Also, the fact that he was able to "take the suit off", whereas with eddie, the symbiote just retracted.. and in the comics, it just camo'd itself as plainclothes. I don't see how parker would be able to just "take it off" when it's bonding to him... especially after everyone sees how in the bell-tower he's gotta fight tooth and nail to rip it off. AND, now, in a single movie, Venom is NO MORE?! Come On! He's the webhead's GREATEST VILLAIN! Sure, doc ock, mysterio, electro and company are great and all, but it's VENOM! Now we probably will NEVER see Carnage! And lastly, WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND PICKS A WIMP TO SERVE AS THE HOST FOR THE SYMBIOTE?!?!? BROCK WAS A BEEFY DUDE! Not another petey parker!

C. Gobbie Jr. Sure, the whole "Amnesiac " thing was nice and all, and tho I think harry's death by his glider, just like his old man was a bit bleh... tho cool at the same time... my big gripe is the suit. I mean... a PAINTBALL MASK that splits and retracts? COME ON! And the glider being more of a "hoverboard" than a real goblin glider just strikes me as not so cool... but eh.

D. Gwen. Now there's two potential love interests. What next, are we gonna see spidey hit on by the black cat in spiderman 4, and they'll all have to claw eachother's eyes out over who gets petey? I mean, I understand that he's had a connection with both of them.. but... I still see it as perhaps unnecesarry.

Things I found to be awesome:

A. The Parker-Gobbie fight in downtown... when he pulls the oldest trick in the book, and Harry just goes crashin' all over the place... I winced the entire time... thinking... "Well... THAT'S gonna leave a mark."

B. the fact they actually played on the fact that A. the symbiote AUGMENTED parker's strength further... AND as Venom, it didn't set off his Spider-Sense

C. Sandman. That at the core, he was just a guy who was in a bad way, and was doing what he felt he had to in order to help his ill daughter. Sure, comic sandman gets a measure of redemption, but he ALSO becomes a mercenary under silver sable... this I think works better. *mutters about hyrdo-man/sand-man mud monster in a future spidey movie*

D. Stan Lee. I think the words he utters in THIS movie, above all others, are words that can influence ANYBODY to believe in themselves. "I guess one person really CAN make a difference."
Fact, True Believers.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah there was nothing approaching anything resembling terrible in this movie....it was freakin' great.

I cant beleive all the net flack this is getting...half of it is the usual complaints (topher's size etc.) but those were the opinions that people had before seeing the film and god knows they cant be changed:rolleyes:

Its funny because most "improvements" ive heard people on various boards say would make the movie suck ass if actually implemented.

Some critics have actually complained about lack of action. one: there was at least one scene for every villian. I already seen peter fight sandman fighting him again wont give me anything new. two: ave any of these critics seen the other movies??

Spider-man: the movie series has never been about the straight up action but rather the characters. It has been set apart from other comic movies because its the story of harry/peter/mary jane rather than spider-man fights villian x. The villians just fit around there drama and reflect themes going on with the characters.

I was completely content with the movie.......I want to know whats going on with harry rather than annother fight scene. I could have did without the extended strut and dance scene and went with more in costume show casings of peters darkside turn but eh it didnt ruin anything for me.

The only thing i find perculiar is press conferences saying they left it open for sequels.....seems like everything is tied up to me.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by God Jinrai
AND, now, in a single movie, Venom is NO MORE?! Come On! He's the webhead's GREATEST VILLAIN!
I read online (may have been on superherohype or IGN or something. that someone has said that if a 4th is made a character thought dead in the 3rd one turns out to be not so dead. So the only choices are Harry or Venom if that turns out to be true