Abortion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Abortion

Post by Warcry »

I was talking with some freinds today about this. Is it moral?
I'd say, no, unless it is medically needed. The fetus is, at the very least, a potential human life, and to take away that life for your own convienience...
What do you think? Right to Life, or Right to Choose? Or something totally diferrent?

I already regret this...
Sir Auros

Re: Abortion

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Warcry
I already regret this...

And well you should...maybe it'll get deleted before SHE shows up though...

For the record, I'm pro-choice and I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
Redstreak
Protoform

Re: Abortion

Post by Redstreak »

Originally posted by Warcry

I already regret this...

As well you should, once Sheba gets hold of this topic...

My viewpoint? I honestly don't know. I've heard people on all sides, from life to choice to in-between, that being in certain instances it is ok...like rape.

Is it morally right? It depends if you consider a fetus a human life. If you do, then it's murder. If you don't, then it isn't.

Alls I can say for sure is, I'm glad I'm a guy...never have to worry about being put in that kind of spot.
Warcry

Re: Re: Abortion

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Redstreak
My viewpoint? I honestly don't know. I've heard people on all sides, from life to choice to in-between, that being in certain instances it is ok...like rape.

Yeah, you've got a point there. But haw far can we take it before it's wrong? That's the question? When does an embryo become a human life? When do you stop being a thing, and start being a person? Any standard of this is nothing more than subjective, so it is hard to make universal determination.
Divebomb
Protoform

Post by Divebomb »

well i think it is a choice that should not be taken lightly. But there are certian situations where it is good and certian times when it is bad.

it shouldn't be just because you don't want it. It should be because you think it would be worse for the child to live. Like you can't feed it or it would be harmed just by being alive.

Being a guy is good when it comes to these choices because we don't have to make these choices and therefore are not not left thinkin about them for the rest of our lives.
Quick Switch

Post by Quick Switch »

And well you should...maybe it'll get deleted before SHE shows up though...
As well you should, once Sheba gets hold of this topic...
Echo, echo? :cool:
-------
Sig courtesy of the Sig Master, Skywarp!
-------
Former AWF Tag Team Champion
Co-Hardcore Champion (x 2)
Member of Pulp Faction!
-------
TF Archive RPG Co-Player of the Year
-------
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Divebomb
Being a guy is good when it comes to these choices because we don't have to make these choices and therefore are not not left thinkin about them for the rest of our lives.

Umm...Yeah, the guy usually doesn't want a say in the decision. However, he should be involved in it. The final decision, no matter what, rests with the woman, I agree. But that does not mean that the father should just sit back and say nothing. After all, the mother isn't the only one responsable for the pregnancy, is she? For right or wrong, both parents should discuss such drastic measures, if it is at all possible.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Oh man you shouldn't have made this topic, trust me...there are certain things that just don't go over well and this kind of thing can lead to flame wars extremely quickly...

That being said...is a fetus alive? Yeah.

Is it a stage of human development? Yeah.
Is a child a stage of human development? Yeah.
Is a human child, human? Yeah.
Is a human fetus, human? Yeah.
Is killing a human child wrong? Yeah.
Is killing a fetus wrong. Yeah...

I am Pro-life.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

No matter what I think of the fetus, whether it's life or not, it's irrelevant. It's women's body. She can choose to do what she wants with it. Nobody should force anyone what to do with their own body. After all you are talking about 9 long months of pregnancy. Let's see
you go through that voluntarily. I hope someday there'll be a device that can transfer fetus to anybody else, including males. That way men who complain bitterly about women killing babies can experience how it is like to have a baby themselves.

*end rant*
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

I think abortion is murder.
it shouldn't be just because you don't want it. It should be because you think it would be worse for the child to live. Like you can't feed it or it would be harmed just by being alive.
That's rubbish, they can always have the child adopted, which is surely better than not giving it a life at all?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Galvatron84
I think abortion is murder.

That's rubbish, they can always have the child adopted, which is surely better than not giving it a life at all?

Indeed, id much rather choose adoption.

So, how many pages you think this will turn out to be? Six? Eight?
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
Indeed, id much rather choose adoption.

So, how many pages you think this will turn out to be? Six? Eight?
Probably, if it turns into a religion debate (which I tr to avoid these days).
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Could we this time avoid at least in advance poking/flaming/provoking other posters? Please.

For me question is complicated. I personally am not in favor of abortion, but understand that in some situations it´s propably a better solution (in case of rape, severe danger to mother, child being unable to at least a decent life etc.). What I don´t understand is using abortion as preservative(?) like for example in some parts of Russia or just because it´s not convenient getting a baby. And even in these cases the situation is not always black and white (child mothers for example).
Then there are deeper questions
-When is a fetus a living, sentient being? Does it actually matter?
-Is all life, in all cases invaluable?
-Is abortion killing? If so, is killing in that particular case a wrong thing to do?
And so forth.

I don´t think there´s a definite answer to the question. Plus it´s horrible to try answer this with a language that isn´t my mother language. It terrifies me how many little nuances I got wrong in this post.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I reckon the current system works quite well: the "life from conception" point is pathetically ridiculous; ie, minute bundle of cells = person. Basically, if it can be induced and survive then do so... otherwise it's a parasite.

Note: I may well not be back to this thread for several days, not least because viewing flaming arguments through school machines with others around wouldn't be particularly professional. ie, I haven't read, just replied.
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

I stongly disagree with Predaking's argument.

First, expect for a few cases, such as rape, the woman already made a choice about things.

Next, IF a fetus IS alive, which was part of your initial premise, then the fetus has different DNA from the mother, and it is NOT her body. We already have a ton of laws dictating what someone can not do with their body (granted, I want to see most, of not all resinded). If the fetus is alive, then it is not the woman's, via our constitution, where ownership of other humans has thankfully been outlawed.

Darn it Denyer, I wanted you to explain why
the "life from conception" point is pathetically ridiculous

I spoke with you over pm's about this once, and I wanted to know, but forgot to ask. I don't see how it is an obvious Truth. I'm tempted to argue otherwise just to see what conclusions we can come up with.

I would prefer that all women voluntarily choose to not have abortions, but that won't happen. I know that I am not wise enough to solve the problem, and I am scared to attempt to legislate it away. I have a friend who I know had an abotion, and she has since convinced herself that wat she did was right and moral. I have another friend who kept the child and gave it up for adoption, and has reached the same conclusion.

Personally, I am anti-killing on this regard. I'll have to think long and hard about when a person has a soul (which I would tend to consider when a person IS).

It's really easy for me to say things, and know that I'll never have to make the big decision. If people behaved responsibly, this would be a non-issue.

I think it would be a good idea for people to go through mandatory counceling before having one, and for children to be forced to notify their parents before hand. I also believe that fewer abotions is better than more.
--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.
Quick Switch

Post by Quick Switch »

That being said...is a fetus alive? Yeah.

Is it a stage of human development? Yeah.
Is a child a stage of human development? Yeah.
Is a human child, human? Yeah.
Is a human fetus, human? Yeah.
Is killing a human child wrong? Yeah.
Is killing a fetus wrong. Yeah...

I am Pro-life.
Agreed.
Next, IF a fetus IS alive, which was part of your initial premise, then the fetus has different DNA from the mother, and it is NOT her body. We already have a ton of laws dictating what someone can not do with their body (granted, I want to see most, of not all resinded). If the fetus is alive, then it is not the woman's, via our constitution, where ownership of other humans has thankfully been outlawed.
Intriguing.
-------
Sig courtesy of the Sig Master, Skywarp!
-------
Former AWF Tag Team Champion
Co-Hardcore Champion (x 2)
Member of Pulp Faction!
-------
TF Archive RPG Co-Player of the Year
-------
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

This will probably be my last post in this and I'm not even going to read it anymore after this, so if you respond to it, pm me or something if you want me to read your response...

1-A lot of you don't know what it's like to be in the lower class, so it's really easy for you to say that abortions are wrong and that any life is better than no life...it's not. There are far too many unwanted children coming into this already grossly overpopulated world each year and nearly all of them are being brought into families (or usually) the care of a person who is financially and emotionally incapable of caring for a child. There are just so many kids out there who suffer throughout their lives because their parents had them when they couldn't support or care for them.

2-Even if you believe in a soul, how can you believe that God would just let a soul die in the womb like that? I would believe that if someone were to abort the fetus, then God would take that soul and put it in the next available fetus. Why the hell wouldn't he?

3-As usual, in issues like this I tend to agree with Denyer, in that if it's not something that can be birthed and survive on its own, it's not a human yet. The whole life and conception and birth thing is a slippery slope, and if you really believe that it's a human being when little Mr. Sperm goes inside Little Miss Egg and thus believe that a human being is merely the POTENTIAL for life, then every time you jerk it, you're killing billions (usually, unless you're count's low) of potential people, and by your own logic are usually just as "bad" as someone who goes out and gets an abortion. Likewise, women using birth control are killing that potential for life every month...hell, if you think about it, even women living their lives naturally eject the potential (egg) every month.

4-We have enough people, and with the sickening state the world is in, if I were calling the shots, I'd have everyone on birth control from puberty up until adulthood, then tested thoroughly to see if they'd be fit for parenting, if not, sterilization. Yes, I'm a cynic.

5-I have a strong conviction about the moral "correctness" of abortion, and I HAVE argued this issue thoroughly and I've heard most of what there is to hear, and this is the conclusion I've reached. Basically, it would be really really hard for you to sway me because I've made an educated decision on the matter, so don't fill up my pm box with crap that does nothing but tell me I'm wrong, or repeats the more typical pro-life arguments.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by Sir Auros

1-A lot of you don't know what it's like to be in the lower class, so it's really easy for you to say that abortions are wrong and that any life is better than no life...it's not. There are far too many unwanted children coming into this already grossly overpopulated world each year and nearly all of them are being brought into families (or usually) the care of a person who is financially and emotionally incapable of caring for a child. There are just so many kids out there who suffer throughout their lives because their parents had them when they couldn't support or care for them.

And the child should be punished for our economic problems why?
This seems more of a sociological problem. That is why are many children born into low income situations? And why there still exists so many low income families. But none of this points towards killing the child as a "correct" solution.

2-Even if you believe in a soul, how can you believe that God would just let a soul die in the womb like that? I would believe that if someone were to abort the fetus, then God would take that soul and put it in the next available fetus. Why the hell wouldn't he?

Then by that logic it is perfectly acceptable to kill anyone since God will simply move his or her soul into a new body. Surely you don't accept that?

3-As usual, in issues like this I tend to agree with Denyer, in that if it's not something that can be birthed and survive on its own, it's not a human yet.

Show me one instance where a newborn can surivive on its own. Or heck even a toddler. If that is the criteria you use than the definition of human only extends to about the age of 13 or so, no lower. Probably higher than that. Heck people who are disabled, or have psychological diseases couldn't survive on their own. Are they not human then?

The whole life and conception and birth thing is a slippery slope, and if you really believe that it's a human being when little Mr. Sperm goes inside Little Miss Egg and thus believe that a human being is merely the POTENTIAL for life, then every time you jerk it, you're killing billions (usually, unless you're count's low) of potential people, and by your own logic are usually just as "bad" as someone who goes out and gets an abortion. Likewise, women using birth control are killing that potential for life every month...hell, if you think about it, even women living their lives naturally eject the potential (egg) every month.

Sperm or ova by themselves have no chance of becoming a human being. A zyogte/fetus/ or just conceived egg does. That is the difference.

4-We have enough people, and with the sickening state the world is in, if I were calling the shots, I'd have everyone on birth control from puberty up until adulthood, then tested thoroughly to see if they'd be fit for parenting, if not, sterilization. Yes, I'm a cynic.

That's a different matter. More a sociological one. Why is the world in the shape that it is, and why do we let it continue to be so. However as previously stated why should the child pay the price?

5-I have a strong conviction about the moral "correctness" of abortion, and I HAVE argued this issue thoroughly and I've heard most of what there is to hear, and this is the conclusion I've reached. Basically, it would be really really hard for you to sway me because I've made an educated decision on the matter, so don't fill up my pm box with crap that does nothing but tell me I'm wrong, or repeats the more typical pro-life arguments.

It seems to me that pro-"choice" (And I use that term loosely since the child has no choice in the matter, and really it is just pro-death) has as it's major argument the dehumanization of our very children. How is it that we as a society can be so outraged over the death of a child (Maryland Sniper Case) yet not be so over the death of the unborn? Seems like a case of doublespeak to me...two contradictory principles that are packaged for society to consume and accept as true...You either respect life, or you don't. If you don't hold our own children to be human, then what makes any person human? The fact that they have more brain cells? That seems laughable. Heck through a simple soritical argument it is easy to see that there can be no distinction made between a newborn and an adult or a fetus in terms of it's intrinsic humanity. You can go around and say that since it can't support itself it is not human, but that doesn't work. You can say that since it doesn't have enough cells it isn't human. But that doesn't work either. Is there some threshold at which point it has "enough" brain cells to be considered human? I'd dearly love to know what that is, as would most scientists. A brain is an organ that regulates the body. Just because at conception that body only consists of a few cells doesn't mean that it's job is any different.

You either respect human life fully, or you don't respect it at all. Otherwise it is just plain hypocritical.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Strafe in a really annoying format:
And the child should be punished for our economic problems why?
This seems more of a sociological problem. That is why are many children born into low income situations? And why there still exists so many low income families. But none of this points towards killing the child as a "correct" solution.

That's assuming you think the mass of tissue is a child at that point, I don't, so I see nothing wrong with it. To me, THAT keeps the child from being punished for our economic problems.

Then by that logic it is perfectly acceptable to kill anyone since God will simply move his or her soul into a new body. Surely you don't accept that?

Ha! I don't even care about theology, that was just hypothetical bs, and it was referring to the idea that since the child wasn't born, it's soul didn't really come into the world or something like that. That God would take just anyone's soul and put it in another body doesn't fit with your religion anyway, and that was the religion I was coming up with hypothetical ideas for.

Show me one instance where a newborn can surivive on its own. Or heck even a toddler. If that is the criteria you use than the definition of human only extends to about the age of 13 or so, no lower. Probably higher than that. Heck people who are disabled, or have psychological diseases couldn't survive on their own. Are they not human then?

Poor wording on my part. By being able to survive on its own, I meant that the mother could birth it naturally and it would be able to live without having to go into a machine that simulates the womb until it's fully cooked.

Sperm or ova by themselves have no chance of becoming a human being. A zyogte/fetus/ or just conceived egg does. That is the difference.

Still, the slippery slope is often taken to the sperm and eggs as well (see the Catholic Church's current stance on birth control and their rationale) AND how can you believe that a human being is formed in all it's potential when the egg and sperm join? It's for that reason that I say that it's human when it's born or when it could be born without the aid of machines.

That's a different matter. More a sociological one. Why is the world in the shape that it is, and why do we let it continue to be so. However as previously stated why should the child pay the price?

As I said before, it's not a child, so there's no price to pay. Overpopulation and an increase in unfit parents certainly doesn't help the situation.

It seems to me that pro-"choice" (And I use that term loosely since the child has no choice in the matter, and really it is just pro-death) has as it's major argument the dehumanization of our very children. How is it that we as a society can be so outraged over the death of a child (Maryland Sniper Case) yet not be so over the death of the unborn? Seems like a case of doublespeak to me...two contradictory principles that are packaged for society to consume and accept as true...You either respect life, or you don't. If you don't hold our own children to be human, then what makes any person human? The fact that they have more brain cells? That seems laughable. Heck through a simple soritical argument it is easy to see that there can be no distinction made between a newborn and an adult or a fetus in terms of it's intrinsic humanity. You can go around and say that since it can't support itself it is not human, but that doesn't work. You can say that since it doesn't have enough cells it isn't human. But that doesn't work either. Is there some threshold at which point it has "enough" brain cells to be considered human? I'd dearly love to know what that is, as would most scientists. A brain is an organ that regulates the body. Just because at conception that body only consists of a few cells doesn't mean that it's job is any different.

You either respect human life fully, or you don't respect it at all. Otherwise it is just plain hypocritical.

We can care because of the difference in the stage of development. Guess what Strafe, some people don't agree with you and they actually believe a child's not a child until it's born, THAT's why they don't care about fetuses, but they do care about a living human being. The argument here boils down to "When is a human a human?" and there's no way it can ever be resolved because it ends up being an argument over a definition and ethics. Also, get out of your ivory tower and see the world for once, do you see the problems that are being caused by overpopulation, do you see the cycle of violence and poverty that children born to parents who can't care for them cause, do you see all the foster parents out there who are only doing it for the money the government pays them to do it, do you see any of that? If you did, I would find it VERY hard to believe that you would WANT more children to come into this world without good homes. I find that more repulsive and heartless than you probably find my beliefs.

Finally, I didn't want to come back into this, but I saw that you had responded, and then I had to defend myself from your accusations of hypocrisy.
Lady Auros
Protoform

Post by Lady Auros »

in the essence of keeping with my usual quiet self, i would not like to post my opinion on the subject, but rather a view of abortion that many may not see. in a discussion with a friend about abortion, he and i came to this conclusion: when women are on birth control, that does not always stop the sperm from joining with the egg, but most often keeps the fertilized egg from joining the lining of the uterus where it would be nurtured and eventually form into a child.

this can be the case for the iud:
http://www.helioshealth.com/birth_contr ... _work.html

of course, most hormonal birth control prevents the release of an egg, so you have no fertilization to worry about. but it is not foolproof. if an egg is released and fertilized, hormonal birth control can change the lining of the uterus so that the fertilized egg cannot attach to the wall where it will receive nutrition.

i am not trying to state this to change anyone's mind, but it is something to think about. especially if you feel that using birth control is morally right. sure, you can pick other methods like condoms or diaphragms which merely block the sperm, but if you choose something hormonal, it may be that you are fertilizing eggs everytime, but they aren't being nourishedand this are not developing. can't that be considered "abortion" too??