Toy Collecting Terms FAQ

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
secretcode

Toy Collecting Terms FAQ

Post by secretcode »

Hello there. You have come across the TFArchive Toy Terms FAQ. You've probably came here to have a quick read about terminology, or probably just to see what I've written. Either way is fine with me. Now enough chit-chat. Time for the bread and butter of the article. All terms are listed in alphabetical order.

ACCESSORY: A small part that comes with a figure for usage with the figure or similar figures in the line.
--
AGE GROUP: One of several demographics products may be marketed towards.
--
ARTICULATION: Refers to the toy's poseability, where a type of joint is. The more articulation a figure has, the more poseability it generally has; a figure with basic joints at the neck and shoulders would be said to have three points of articulation.
--
BALL-JOINT: A ball/socket joint that allows 360 degrees of movement of articulation. Mainly used for arms and legs.
--
BLISTER/BUBBLE PACKAGING: The transparent plastic shell attached to a cardback.
--
BRICK: A term applied to early Transformers due to the common rectangular shape of the figure compared to modern toys. Also applies to a toy where articulation is minimal.
--
CARD/CARDBACK: The cardboard backing which a toy is sealed by a bubble package.
--
CASE: A shipping carton sent from factory in which toys are sent to stores.
--
CASE FRESH: A toy that is sold directly out of the factory case. It's possible for toys to be damaged when case fresh due to shipped or warehousing errors.
--
CELLO: See Windowbox
--
COLLECTOR GRADE: The condition desired by collectors, which varies.
--
COMPLETE: When a toy is second-hand sold and includes original parts and accessories. Could be loose or packaged.
--
DETACHABLE: A part of a toy meant to removed.
--
DIE-CAST: A toy that uses metal parts in place of plastic.
--
DIORAMA: A 3-D setting made to increase play time for action figures. See Playset
--
EXCLUSIVE: A toy that is only offered as limited run, usually given out at conventions or sold at a particular store.
--
FEATURES: An extra action given to a figure to increase play value. Could be considered a gimmick as well.
--
GIMMICK: A special feature given to an entire line to increase play value or could tread on a common theme.
--
GOLD PLASTIC SYNDROME: Refers the plastic of a toy being extremely brittle or even appearing to decompose. Only some plastics are affected. More information: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome
--
GRADING: A system where a toy is graded on their value and condition.
--
INSERTS: Contents in a toy's package that are not part of the product itself. Could be instructions, stickers, catalogs, or sprues.
--
KITBASH: A customized figure made by fans. This site has a forum dedicated to the art of Kitbashing, so if you are intrested, head on over: http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdis ... forumid=64
--
KNOCKOFF: A reproduction of a legitimate toy, commonly made in third-world contries and made of inferior materials. These are also unoffical reproductions. A current thread regarding Knockoffs can be found here: http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... genumber=1
--
LED: (Light Emitting Diode) A tiny light mainly used a lot in toys and electronics. Also very economically friendly.
--
LINE: A title of an entire group of figures. Examples: Transformers: Animated, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, G.I. Joe: Resolute.
--
LOOSE: When a toy is not in its packaging.
--
MIB: Mint in box. (Sometimes an S is added in the phrase to
mean "Sealed")
--
MINT: A toy that is complete and in package.
--
MOC: Mint on card. (Sometimes an S is added in the phrase to mean "Sealed")
--
PLAYSET
: A environment in which toys can "interact". Often based on fictional locations in a toyline. Some playsets are cardboard cut-out, or molded plastic.
--
PROOF OF PURCHASE: A UPC-Barcode, cut-out portion of the product, or a receipt. Can sometimes be sent out to a company to receive a bonus product, as part of a promotion.
--
PROTOTYPE: A model or sculpt of a toy on which production runs are based on.
--
PULL BACK: A motor in toys that when motion is applied by rolling a toy backward and releasing.
--
QUALITY CONTROL: Aside from ensuring safety checks take place, the process whereby an in-production toy is altered during the production run, accessories. Variants are sometimes results of quality control.
--
RE-DECO/REPAINT: A change in paint scheme to provide a variant. Also used to make another character, such as in the case of Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker.
--
RE-MOLD/RESCULPTED: Changing of parts on preexisting figures
to create a variant or a new character. Classics Starscream was remolded to make Ramjet.
--
SERIES: A subset of toys in a toyline, often shipped out in the same timeframe, or same box. Also called a Wave.
--
SHORTPACKED: A figure that in considered to be rare because there is only one or two in a case that ships for the manufacturer.
--
TEST SHOTS: Preproduction samples of an action figures. Sometimes of a prototype. (See prototype)
--
TOP-HEAVY: A condition in which a toy suffers quality by the top of the body being heavy then the bottom, usually resulting in a collapsed body.
--
VACUUM METALLIC: A process in which plastic is vacuum-formed with silver and then painted with a clear color to add a shiny sheen. Good examples of this would be the Beast Wars Transmetals and Transmetals 2 toylines.
--
VARIANT: A repaint/remold of an existing figure, produced in a limited numbers to increase demand (usually having more effect on secondary markets than retailer sales.)
--
WAVE: See Series.
--
WINDOWBOX: A box that a toy is sold in that has a cello (plastic window) through which a portion of the toy can be seen.

PLASTIC TYPES
----
ABS (Acyrlonitrile Butadiene Styrene): A hard solid form of plastic
--
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): Used to make a solid piece of plastic. Used in accessories and statues.
--
URETHANE: A hard plastic widely used for details.
Denyer

Reckon we should knock up a bit of a FAQ?

Post by Denyer »

Common general toy terminology, that sort of thing?

eg,

MOC/MIB - mint on card, mint in box (with an 'S' sometimes added for 'sealed')

shortpacked - any figure rare by virtue of there only being one or two in each case that ships from the manufacturer.

Or are there any ready-made and useful guides that could be linked to for various series?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I think we need to mention the Condition-Scale of Toys. C-8, C-4... you know
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Something more than "condition scales tend to be grossly exaggerated bollocks, don't trust them -- if it's really important, ask for photos"?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Mmm... Got a point. General terms mainly would be good. You never know when a complete beginner would stumble upon to this site. I visited this site for 2 years before I created an account due to crap connections.

TERMS LIKE:
- Articulation
- Mint
- Brick
- Top-Heavy
- Die-Cast
- Gold-Plastic Syndrome
- Vacuum Metallics
- Explain the types of plastics
- etc.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

secretcode

Post by secretcode »

They work as a basic guideline. Some of those terms are rarely used though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm fairly busy with other stuff, but if you've time/inclination to write stuff up, I'll sticky it in a new thread.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I'll start working on it on Wednesday.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Just off the top of my head, I took a shot at it:

TERMS LIKE:
- Articulation: How an item is bendable or statue-like in terms of posability, joint expression, and overall detail. I.E. Marvel Legends Figures boast that they are the most articulate figures in the industry, with joint expressions like hands, fingers, wrists, forearms, elbow/shoulder/knee/hip joints, feet, toes, etc.

- Mint: A toy (or any item) that is completely devoid of any defect whatsoever and is in pristine condition. The highest grading for a truly mint toy would be a 10.

- Brick: a term often applied to early transformers due to the overly square or rectangular shape of the overall figure. Compared to the curvature and fluid like motion of the bodies used on most transformers nowadays, certain G1 figures look like Robbie the Robot compared to, say, TF Movie Megatron.

- Top-Heavy: A figure that will not stand on its own due to most of the weight being in the upper portion (chest area and upwards), which causes the figure to either fall forwards or backwards and requires some sort of stand/base to be displayed on its own without human manipulation.

- Die-Cast: Metal cast in a die. Typical example: matchbox/hotwheel cars, especially those of the earlier days.

- Gold-Plastic Syndrome: never heard of this in my life. Is this some kind of new Insecticon disease?

- Vacuum Metallics: this is a type of manufacturing process where the gold or silver paint is adhered to the plastic by way of a vacuum process with a very detailed heating process at the factory, rendering the item a better quality paint job. Early attempts, specific to Transformers, would be Soundwave’s missiles in his shoulder cannon and gun or the two antennae from Shrapnel.

- Explain the types of plastics: might as well wiki this one.

- etc.: et cetera what?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Great job Zeek. It kinda helped me clarify some things in the FAQ. It's finished, just waiting for Big D's permission to post.

Oh and...

GOLD PLASTIC SYDROME- A state in which a plastic surface coated in gold paint flakes off drastically in a short period of time. This has been circumvented lately in the form of a pale tan color or a brown simular to the Cybertron release Galaxy Force Vector Prime.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers. Have bodged the date to make it top post...
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Isn't that the date I joined?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Two days before, apparently. Suppose I could've actually worked out a date just before my original post, but settled for guessing the most significant digit of the UNIX timestamp...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

GOLD PLASTIC SYDROME- A state in which a plastic surface coated in gold paint flakes off drastically in a short period of time.
Nah, the plastic itself becomes very brittle.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome

Have skimmed to correct a few typos, etc.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Would it be okay for me to edit the FAQ with a few more updated and new terms?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Go for it. I trust people who have the first post of sticky threads to not vandalise, otherwise I'd start fresh threads.
zhaka
Protoform

Suggestions of my life

Post by zhaka »

If you’ve decided that you’d like to be your own boss, it doesn’t have to remain a dream forever. In fact, with some proper planning on your part, you can become your own boss in no time.authentic louis vuitton
If you want to be your own boss you need to start your own business. Being self-employed will more than likely seem overwhelming in the beginning, but in the end many people feel that the benefits far outweigh the costs. So start brainstorming some business opportunities!
Here are some reasons why you should be your own boss:
1. You’re in Charge of Your Income. This can be seen as a pro or a con at first, but eventually the sky will be the limit as you develop your business. In the beginning, seeking self-employment might not make you as much as you used to, and you also may have to worry about issues like individual insurance coverage. The huge advantage is the fact that you keep every dime that you make and your salary is not capped by your employer.
2. You Have Creative Control. You get to make all of your decisions, no one else is telling you what to do. This is huge because many people run into boredom issues at their jobs. If you can choose the business you want, you can also pick and choose the types of jobs you accept. You do what you want, when you want.
3. You’re Responsible for Your Success. If you’re self-employed you can truly make a difference when you start your own business. This is because the success of the business lies on your shoulders. When you work for a large corporation, it’s easy to mix in with the rest of the employees and feel like it doesn’t even matter whether or not you show up to work. While you’ll still have to work hard when you’re self-employed, you really matter because you are your business.
Health Top Tips Nutrition Love Lifestyle Happiness Weight Loss
4. You Set Your Own Hours. Setting your own hours is a huge advantage. You know yourself best and you’ll be able to build a schedule that’s most efficient for you. If you want to work really hard one day, and take a half day the next day, that’s perfectly fine when you’re self-employed. You can work all night and sleep all day if that’s your personal preference! ed hardy jeans
5. You’ll Be Challenged. Most people will find that they not only reach a salary cap when they work for someone else, but they also reach a point where they’re no longer challenged. When you embark on this new journey for yourself, it’ll be a risk and it’ll be a challenge. Also, as you keep gaining experience and income, you’ll continue to be challenged as you reach higher and higher levels.
6. You Can’t Get Fired. This is a great reason in itself. In the self-employment world you can’t get fired! You can change your mind about certain business opportunities, but that would just be shifting the focus of your business, you’d never be firing yourself. This takes a certain amount of burden off your shoulders because you don’t need to worry about someone suddenly taking away your income just because of cutbacks even if you’re doing a superb job.
Remember that there’s always a certain amount of risk associated with making a major change in your life. It’s never easy when it involves income and the future of your family. However, if you want to be your own boss, you can certainly do so. It may end up opening many doors to better your financial future. Buy cheap ed hardy jeans
alphaads
Protoform

Post by alphaads »