Protoform

Spotlight Drift Preview

Post by Hennessy »

borg72

Post by borg72 »

in the style of the 'spreemster;

Hat: Eaten
Hopes for rest of issue: Very high

that fourth page is good enough to go on a wall, never mind a comic book.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Do like the tone of the scenery, though it does have a certain Star Wars quality to it. I'll reserve judgement towards the character himself once I have read this (AHM hasn't really provided enough examples to go by).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

This actually is a bit surprising.
zigzagger wrote:Do like the tone of the scenery, though it does have a certain Star Wars quality to it. I'll reserve judgement towards the character himself once I have read this (AHM hasn't really provided enough examples to go by).
Same here. Who knows, the spotlight might convince me to like Drift after all. Might even convince me to RPG him. ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

There's a joke there about him already being RPGd as every fanchar evar, but I sure as hell can't find it.

... he's a Jedi isn't he? Frak.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

A ninja Jedi, to be precise.

Actually, we'd best knock this off. If we have to list every source McCarthy's cribbed from to create the ultimate Mary Sue, we're going to be here all day.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Cliffjumper wrote: Actually, we'd best knock this off. If we have to list every source McCarthy's cribbed from to create the ultimate Mary Sue, we're going to be here all day.
More than one day, actually. Drift's... overdone. I mean, an immediate spotlight issue on day one? Not even Prowl or even Starscream ever got that kind of treatment. Damn you Drift.

What I fear is, with McCarthy's love of Drift, and if IDW keeps encourgaing McCarthy to promote his fan characters, pretty soon we might have Shanimus Prime vs McCarthron.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ninja Lesson 101: Wearing a cloak will completely fool everyone into not noticing your a outer space robot person.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Is Drift really all that over-promoted though? I mean it's kinda stupid that he's got his own spotlight when there are plenty of pre-existing characters who'd be great still waiting for the Spotlight treatment, but he's barely appeared in AHM (His collective panel time across all 9 issues so far probably amounts to 2 pages, at most) and we've been promised Drift isn't going to be some "Deus Ex Machina" that solves all the problems the Autobots are facing in AHM.

And not trying to start a fight here or anything but how is Drift a Mary Sue? Several of the Autobots seem to distrust him, he's done nothing of any great importance and he's not been treated in any special way. He's far less of a Mary Sue than some pre-existing characters I could name (Furman's Grimlock and Brad Mick's Sunstorm. Nuff said)
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

StarscreamX wrote:Is Drift really all that over-promoted though? I mean it's kinda stupid that he's got his own spotlight when there are plenty of pre-existing characters who'd be great still waiting for the Spotlight treatment, but he's barely appeared in AHM (His collective panel time across all 9 issues so far probably amounts to 2 pages, at most) and we've been promised Drift isn't going to be some "Deus Ex Machina" that solves all the problems the Autobots are facing in AHM.
I think they mean "Over promoted" in the sense that a to much of the promotional material has focused on him.
And not trying to start a fight here or anything but how is Drift a Mary Sue? Several of the Autobots seem to distrust him, he's done nothing of any great importance and he's not been treated in any special way. He's far less of a Mary Sue than some pre-existing characters I could name (Furman's Grimlock and Brad Mick's Sunstorm. Nuff said)
McCarthy actually is a Ninja Jedi (in the same way the Mick was a orange super God). There's a picture montage of him in full costume somewhere...
Terome

Post by Terome »

I would like to point out the strange madness of having a Transformer, a being that can reshape itself into any medium-sized hunk of technology, or even a dinosaur, is hanging around bars wrapped up in Ninja Cloth. It would actually be pretty funny if it so clearly wasn't a badly thought-out idea.

Apart from the distressingly made-for-TV levels of blandness in the alien designs*, the artwork is pretty great.

* That said, we have already, thanks to Spotlight: Ultra Magnus, got a very low bar for alien designs in this universe. If only the pundits back in the nineties knew that the -real- damaging effect of Mortal Kombat and Spawn would be a generation of artists bereft of any ability to draw a monster or an alien that had a single trace of originality or thought in its appearance.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

He's a pretender!

A poor-man's pretender, anyway. With some cloth wrappings for a pretender shell.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Seconded!

In the words of Megan Fox: "If he's supposed to be a super advanced high-tech alien robot, why does he use a piece of crap to disguise himself?"

Also, Drift's legs seem to be waaaay too blocky compared to AHM's rendition of him. Blocky-legged ninja... Meh.

Still, the Star Wars reference is nice...
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

I got the feeling that the other characters are still trying to tell me that drift is cool. -___-