Let's Debate-Locked Threads And Censorship

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sassy
Protoform

Let's Debate-Locked Threads And Censorship

Post by Sassy »

What does everyone think about the authority figures on the board locking threads?

Personally, I don't like it, I enjoy reading threads especially the more heated they are. At those times you really get to see how emotional and passionate people are on certain topics. I'm even intrigued when I see little snippets of feisty flames finding their way into the threads-that just makes it more personal and entertaining.

I feel that it sure would be nice for a change if people weren't censored or stopped from continuing what they are in the middle of just because someone else feels uncomfortable with it and/or deems it inappropriate.

If we were to allow people to express everything that they wanted to on the board perhaps it would lead to more honest and open discussions, that is how I would look at it. Then in turn people could even work on improving themselves from whatever possibly flames that would come through. That would only lead to the greatness of the board and better quality of posters. Though I could see another argument that if we weren't have any censors or locking any threads then all hell (could) break loose on the board, lol. even if that were to occur the end result would only have us all prospering from the openness and honestly that uncensored and unlocked threads would have to offer.

What are the rest of your feelings on this?
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Well, although is't sometime funny to see people lose thier minds over silly things...

I understand when they have to censor/lock stuff.

If not, well...I've seen what happens over at SW.com, when the mods are away and the trolls try to stage a takeover.

It ain't pretty.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I prefer locking and splitting to deleting. Sometimes it might be appropriate to let an off-topic discussion run and then move it out of the way of people trying to have a conversation... other times it's just attention whoring.
even if that were to occur the end result would only have us all prospering from the openness and honestly that uncensored and unlocked threads would have to offer
1. Go to GD forum index.
2. Sort posts in descending order by number of replies.
3. Read locked threads and see how long they ran and in what direction they were headed before getting locked.

Go on, it'll be educational. Or fun and whacky or something.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Denyer

Or fun and whacky or something.

As someone who mods at other boards...

"Something" is an understatement.
Justin
Protoform

Re: Let's Debate-Locked Threads And Censorship

Post by Justin »

Originally posted by Sassy

If we were to allow people to express everything that they wanted to on the board perhaps it would lead to more honest and open discussions, that is how I would look at it. Then in turn people could even work on improving themselves from whatever possibly flames that would come through.

It has been my experience from other boards that no matter how much someone is flamed (or even confronted with sound logical arguments) nothing useful comes from it. The person who took first blood usually resorts to calling someone a name (typically based on a racial slur or sexual preference) then just stops until confronted a few weeks later.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

There was a time when a thread like this would be shut down and Sassy would face warnings or a temporary ban. We've come a long way and these boards allow for a lot so long as you're not getting into racist, homophobic, etc. territories.

We're still not an unmoderated board though, so off-topic stuff does get culled when staff sees it and parties involved get warned (especially when there is flaming involved). If you want to see what happens when people unflinchingly speak their minds on the internet, check out Fark's forums or the GameFAQS messageboards. True, they're both moderated in theory, but much, much less so than here. The point is that you do have to have threads closed and people banned at times because its disruptive and harms the community. Trolls warrant banning, people who refuse to follow the rules warrant banning, Sheba warrants banning. It's all to keep the board's community in harmony.

There's no other TF forum I'd like to participate in more than this one. We tend to have a group of similar-minded people who get along well and our newbies either learn how to behave like normal people or go on their merry way to another board more sympathetic to morons.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I'm actually glad this has been made, because I was going to make a similar one.

I completely agree with the fact that the mods have to lock threads (for instance my Michael Jackson one) as there was a bit of bitching in there, and Red did ignore Auros' warnings, so it had to be locked. One could say "why not just edit everything out" but nope, thats an aweful lot of work for the mods AND whats to say these people who were the cause of it won't merely start it again?

The thing is, I'm actually a bit peeved right now, I wanna say some more stuff about Jackson in that thread, I wanna discuss it more, but I can't because people couldn't control their mouths (or in this case, their typing fingers).
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

in someways the banning of certain Threads is good, like some off my earliar Threads were a wee too bit Cheeky;) or i'd say the wrong things, (i think this is why i had my 2-3day ban:( ) and like the others sayt theirs too much B*tching in certain threads (its starting to look that way for my Dragonhalf Thread:(
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

In a way, locking a thread and telling people to knock it off helps with cooling things off. Most people do not take flame wars outside of the thread in which they were started, so locking the thread usually nips it in the bud.

Many people just can't take a step back from a situation and calm down (Myself included. Although, I try to avoid getting into flame wars, if someone says something about me and I happen to see it, it usually respond, but fortunately for me, that doesn't happen often), but locking the thread forces them to do so.

It's unfortunate, especially when you want to discuss something on-topic (there are plenty of times that I have something I'd like to add, but by the time I get there, the thread's locked, so I just go on my merry little way), but very, very necessary.
Sassy
Protoform

Post by Sassy »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
I'm actually glad this has been made, because I was going to make a similar one.

I completely agree with the fact that the mods have to lock threads (for instance my Michael Jackson one) as there was a bit of bitching in there, and Red did ignore Auros' warnings, so it had to be locked. One could say "why not just edit everything out" but nope, thats an aweful lot of work for the mods AND whats to say these people who were the cause of it won't merely start it again?

The thing is, I'm actually a bit peeved right now, I wanna say some more stuff about Jackson in that thread, I wanna discuss it more, but I can't because people couldn't control their mouths (or in this case, their typing fingers).

Thank you for your post. I'm glad we can discuss this and relieved to find out that I'm not the only one who wanted too.

And yes actually that was the thread that I had wanted to post in but couldn't-I found that very upsetting. *Looks at board memembers*
Don't you snap your fingers at me

Sassy, Moonwalks out of the thread
Hound

Post by Hound »

I hate when a thread gets locked.

It depends on the nature of the discussion but if it's not doing any real harm or tempers aren't getting riled up then I don't see any reason why it can't go on. A good conversation is a good conversation regardless of what initial subject led to it.

I've seen some truly horrible initial posts lead to some not half bad discussions.

As a staff member I'd rather edit out flame wars, or even in some cases let them play out and play referee than close a thread.

As a member of the board, I'll argue with anyone I disagree with. That's my prerogative. I'm also apt to tell someone they're an ass if I feel it is so. Some are as apt to return the favor.

I don't like troublemakers though. People who are here to start problems, people who are here to instigate. I have a real problem with that. There's little room for spite and hate if you ask me.

I think the staff does the best job it can. We're not perfect, far from it at times. There are many of us and we endeavor to keep eachother fair. I believe the system works. I believe it's the best way to run a messegge board. I've seen or heard of far worse ways for it to be done... :eyebrow:
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Not having read anything said here, I'll give ya my take...when I was a mod at Seib, it seemed that the censorship issue with relation to locked threads was always something Ryan was interlocking.

To me, the two do not correlate. Locking a thread doesn't mean the topic is off-limits or anything like that. It means, in most cases, that the discussion of said topic has either degenerated into flames or is so far off-topic that there's no point in keeping it going. I do believe that as long as an on-topic discussion is still occurring tho, no matter what else is going on unless it becomes overwhelming, the thread is worth leaving open. If the topic gets quelled by spam or flames, that's something else entirely.

Censorship is more of a case directed in and around individuals. Like if a person's posts are deleted, or that person is banned or flamed because they say something not against the rules, but something a mod or admin does not want to hear or disagrees with, then the argument can be made. Basically I see it as more of a case that when people abuse their power over something that maybe they don't agree with or otherwise want to hear, they straddle the line, if not cross it.

For example, Sheba is not liked here at all because almost no one shares her viewpoint. However, she is not censored. She is still able to post, no matter how radical she sounds, and give her POV. Sure, lotsa ppl round here would love to have her banned, but she doesn't violate rules in most cases.

So silencing you for your POV is the only type of censorship I can see as relevant to msg boards. And in most cases that won't happen, because there's usually someone reasonable enough around that will intervene and not allow something like that to happen.

Again for example, let's say Sheba posts something controversial today. Jim for instance could ban Sheba tomorrow. But maybe Garand or G91 sees that and doesn't agree with it, invariably reading it and determining that there is no violation of the rules, or he was not justified in his decision. At that point, they'd more than likely overrule him and unban her.

Of course that wouldn't happen cuz Jim's such a smooth pimpdaddy that Sheba'd never rattle him. :cool:

But y'all get the point I'm trying to make. As long as the ppl in charge are upholding the rules and guidelines on both posting and behavior, your opinion cannot possibly hurt you. It can get you in huge arguments, but ultimately you won't get censored for it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

If the reason for locking a thread is so obvisious(sp?) in the thread that anyone reading it understands the reason why or the if person who locks it explains the reason why and they then lock it. Then I have no problem with that and see no problem with it.

But as Red points out if it's just because you disagree with someone's pov and they have not broken any rules then there is a serious problem.

Deleting threads should be done in case of spammer trolls that have posted an insane amount of **** that clearly breaks the rules.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.