The next spotlight is Arcee | UPDATE: advance review and preview page art

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

The next spotlight is Arcee | UPDATE: advance review and preview page art

Post by Nevermore »

Arcee.

As confirmed by Furman.

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... tlight-is/

That cover is way too busy. And it seems Arcee's character will be Stereotypical Badass Chick™.

edit:

Advance review -- http://fractalmatter.com/main/?p=809

edit:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Done right, could be really good.

Done badly, could be awful.

Good idea for it to tie into the Jhiaxus storyline. That's the Monstructorbots near the bottom isn't it? Also don't see a faction insignia on "her"... so that could be telling.

[EDIT] Don't think it's too busy... should look better once it's coloured (whoa... Shortpacked! "how to draw the Dreamwave way" flashback...)

Nova Prime / Fort Max? / Monsters / I'd guess at Jhiaxus ??
Terome

Post by Terome »

Well, it seems that Milne was intent on cramming lady robots into every crevice of Megatron: Origin, so no wonder he jumped at the chance to do this Spotlight and both covers.

Re: Ass-kicking chicks with swords - I think the Japanese a lot more honest about all this when they express it as that particular breed of hentai where the woman just outright grows a penis and goes about rogering everything.

Western sexual repression aside, it's neat-o to get more stories about Prime Nova and his dudes.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I seem to recall something about Furman promising no "female" robots... so this could genuinely be interesting.

Plus there's the whole "if it's been done before, do it differently" pitch. Looking at the art, Arcee has a uni-boob... just because the robot looks feminine doesn't mean we're dealing with a "female".

Which would be good. A robot who "looks" female that's characterised as something beyond "pink and useless" can only be a good thing. Gender pronouns will be the clincher. Ideally, all TFs should be "it" rather than "he" or "she"... If the entire thing's done first-person, all the better.

[EDIT] We should also bear in mind Furman's take on Arcee from Prime Rib...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Hmm, so this must be the Spotlight that Furman had mentioned a while back that would feature "a new take" on a character that debuted in the '86 Movie. Didn't see that one coming, I honestly thought it would be Wheelie, he made his cameo in Prime's Spotlight, so I just figured it would go to him. Also confirms which mystery Spotlight Fortress Maximus was supposed to co-star in.

It being tied into the Dead Universe storyline alone strikes my interest in the book. I take it that this story will be told in flashback sequences then? Jhiaxus making his official IDW debut (i.e. not just being in mentioned in conversation) interests me even more.

So that makes two confirmed Autobot (Blaster, Arcee) Spotlights, with a third Autobot (Grimlock) Spotlight still kind of up in the air.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I seem to recall something about Furman promising no "female" robots... so this could genuinely be interesting.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that Furman will at the very least provide an interesting take on it. His announcement on his blog promises that much.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah, the hesitance about the term and quotation marks around "her" indicate that he's at least uncomfortable with the gendered notion.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Simon posts a comment to his blog:
Do you honestly think I’d miss an opportunity to try and explain away what I always felt was one of the most difficult concepts to wrap your head around in relation to Transformers, ie. gender? No way. Expect an IDW-verse answer here. It’s provocative to say the least.

Well, that's interesting.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Jhiaxus made them as a joke?
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm guessing it started off as a joke, but then, they were all alone in that Dead Universe, and jeez, you know.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

cover does seem busy but I like the fact she just pwned someone that she is standing over. Could be a fun comic indeed if she lets her weapons do the talking for her.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'd wish the guy luck, but he's been dealing with this fandom for years...

I'd be a lot more put off if it were any other writer.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Originally posted by Halfshell

Who knows, we could be dealing with another Override/NitroConvoy situation?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'd love it if, in fact, they did a story on Arcee and how she ****s Hot Rod and they have cyber-babies and there are loads of female robots and they all have robotits and guns and nice pastel colours and they all pair up with Autobots from the telly and have lots of cyber-babies.

And at the end, we find out it's written by a sad, pathetic nerd (i.e. Hunter O'Comedyname), he shows it to Ironhide, Ironhide laughs at how sad the little virgin ("I'm not askin', I'm usin' it as a general term of abuse"[/Balowski]) is, and they kick him out of the Super Happy Whacky Realistc Humans Who Follow The Autobots Around Adventure Club. Like, literally. Jack Hawksmoor kick, but replace "Jack Hawksmoor" with "big ****ing robot".
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'd love it if, in fact, they did a story on Arcee and how she ****s Hot Rod and they have cyber-babies and there are loads of female robots and they all have robotits and guns and nice pastel colours and they all pair up with Autobots from the telly and have lots of cyber-babies.

That would make an awesome Mosaic.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They're letting Alex Milne draw something again?

Hmmm, I wonder if the girls in Origin were deliberate foreshadowing or if it's a case of Furman seeing that and going "Oh ****, we'd better do something to explain Fembots then..."
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I was thinking similar...

Furman does a lot of his best writing when he's reacting to other people's stuff, so here's hoping this'll serve as such a spur.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Would've thought that "it's bollocks and out of continuity" would be the best way of explaining away what was in Megs Origin.

Either way, I'm quite looking forward to this. Mostly from the story content rather than whose eyes it's told through. Though if he manages to piss off people who genuinely believe Transformers are biologically engendered naturally, then all the better.

... and the first person format of the Spotlight means we'll get no third-person gender-specific impersonal pronouns!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Though that doesn't stop Fort Max calling her a big girly...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by Halfshell

Actually, I'm fairly certain he never promised that. I believe the whole no "female" robots thing spawned from this interview:
SIMON FURMAN: I'm slightly ducking and diving around the issue of "˜female' Transformers until I can find something, a rationale, that works for me (and for the rebooted storyline as a whole).

*Snip*

Maybe I'll do likewise for "˜female' Transformers. It's a tough one, though. Every time I try and rationalize gender in giant robots it makes my head hurt. The Beast Wars TV series did it really well, though. So maybe it's just me.

I shall post my own thoughts on this soon. Stay tuned folks!
-Alex???