Gundam/Macross question...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Gundam/Macross question...

Post by Alpha Trion »

Doeas anyone know of any sites that list all the series and movies of Gundam and/or Macross in the order they're meant to be seen? I'd like to get into both series, but have no idea where I'm supposed to start.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Right! Got the Gundam for you:

In order:
Universal century saga
Mobile suit Gundam (Recomended, have to know where it came from ;))
08th MS team (highly recomended)
Gundam 0080 - War in the pocket(not bad)
Gundam 0083 - Stardust memory (Highly recomended)
Gundam Z (as in Zeta) - (just getting it, tell you later)
Gundam ZZ (Double Zeta)
Char's Counter Attack
Gundam F91 (Formula 91)
V - Gundam
G-Saviour

Alternate Universes - Each one is seperate, and has nothing to do with any other Gundam, with the exception of giant robots with V's on their head

Gundam Wing (Oh hell yes! and a good place to start, cause it's easy to find)
Endless Waltz (Sequal to Wing, and very very good)
Gundam X (kinda Kiddie, but fun)
Turn A Gundam (waist of mine and your time)
G Gundam (almost as much a waist as Turn A, with very crappy gundams)
Gundam Seed (just coming out in Japan, and availible on the net for down load. I'm loving it. So worth your effort)

That's it for Gundam, some one else will have to fill in on the Macross.
If you have any more questions on Gundam PM me

oh here's a decent site: http://www.geocities.com/gundam_uc0079/
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Thanks a lot for the help. Now if only I could scrounge up some cash and go dvd hunting...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

MS Gundam (episodes and movies), 8th MS team, 0080, 0083, Wing, Endless waltz, Char's counter attack, G, and G-saviour are all on DVD. Or if you can, down load Gundam seed
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Sigh. Like 4 years ago I was excited about seeing Gundam on TV. Not worth it. Gundam is highly overrated, all it is is a bunch of nonsensical political garbage, where, much like Evangelion, for some reason is seen as godly because its too complicated for the viewers.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Too complicated?
What's compicated about Evangelion. Standard Existenalism with twisted western dogma thrown into it. Nothing to hard to grasp there.

Gundam - Even easier than Eva. Standard political strife. Power trys to opress the majority, war breaks out, etc. Mostly it's about the human struggle of a soldier who must kill and the horrors of war.

And remember the guy saying Eva and Gundam suck just recomended Sailor moon ;)

Why didn't you like them?
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Too complicated?
What's compicated about Evangelion. Standard Existenalism with twisted western dogma thrown into it. Nothing to hard to grasp there.

Gundam - Even easier than Eva. Standard political strife. Power trys to opress the majority, war breaks out, etc. Mostly it's about the human struggle of a soldier who must kill and the horrors of war.

And remember the guy saying Eva and Gundam suck just recomended Sailor moon ;)

Why didn't you like them?

No no no. You see, Im not saying its too complicated, what I meant was people go nuts over that ****. They think "oh its uber complicated, therefore it must be good." Theres far too many people like that, esp the ones obsessed with Eva/Gundam/DBZ and all that ****, when really theyve never heard of anything else. Sailor Moon is far superior to both of those imo. I hate things that become huge like that, repetition is evil.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

And sailor moon didn't become huge?
I think sailor moon is just as much hype.
I watched the last season (a friend in college had it and I thought I'd give it a try) Far far too over rated.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

SM is big too, but not nearly as big as Evangelion and Gundam, its almost as if thats all there is out there.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Salior moon is older
hasn't hit the hype in North Am that Gundam has
I don't think that Eva has been shown on TV here though
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
No no no. You see, Im not saying its too complicated, what I meant was people go nuts over that ****. They think "oh its uber complicated, therefore it must be good." Theres far too many people like that, esp the ones obsessed with Eva/Gundam/DBZ and all that ****, when really theyve never heard of anything else. Sailor Moon is far superior to both of those imo. I hate things that become huge like that, repetition is evil.

I'm sorry man, but I just can't take you seriously when you keep recommending Sailor Moon over Gundam. And no I'm not a band wagon anime fan and Gundam isn't the only anime I've ever seen in my life and I don't watch it because it's complicated and hip, so don't even try to pull that angle on me.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Wow, that's three threads I've agreed with Wildfire Hearld in :D.

Not everyone likes some Anime because everyone one says they're great and they're so messed up that they have to be good. Personally, for me, it has to have a great story, good character development, and great animation. The fact that it's popular or not doesn't faze me.

Gundam series are great if you want character driven, political stories. As for Macross. I haven't watched much beyond Macross Plus and Zero, But I enjoyed them alot.
Ingraman
Protoform

Post by Ingraman »

Actually, it depends on the series of Gundam you've seen. Honestly, the Gundam series which most people talk about (Gundam Wing, 0083, 08th Ms Team) are average at best. The truely great Gundam series in my eyes are MSG, Z, V, Turn-A and 0080.
AHH!!!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Got all of MSG, working on Z, haven't touched V
TURN A killed me, couldn't make it though 3 eps.

0080 and 0083 were AMAZING 0083 was what got me hooked.

X isn't too bad, but more kiddie, but has some great moments.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Seed is great. Seriously good stuff.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

I wasnt saying it was you guys who were like that. I was just stating that almost everyone Ive seen doesnt know what the hell is going on but they like it merely because everyone else is liking it.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Understood,

So why do you not like them?
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

I liked Gundam Wing when it first came on TV, because it was something new I havent seen before, plus the music was really good. Over time I got really bored of it, I just dont find political things interesting. Macross is even more boring. I prefer more romantic series such as Love Hina and AMG. Saikano was just an emotional roller coaster, which was done very well. I like things that can bring about strong emotions from you, things that make you cry, things that make you really happy. Gundam and Macross didnt do that. However Im not saying theyre complete ****, becuase theyre not, I can think of worse. They just arent my style.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

And that's cool
everyone has to find what they like, and they can't like everything.

Gundam Wing especially isn't for everyone.
A really good one to get and just try is 8th MS team. It's a neat little story that will tell you weither or not you like gundam :D