The glory of Centurion.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

The glory of Centurion.

Post by Auntie Slag »

For anyone who hasn't read the Marvel UK comics, here's what I'm on about;

Earth got a bit scared of the fact there were giant robots running around, and created a task force called Triple I (Information, Intelligence and erm... Ironhide). One of their cunning ideas was to create a robot of their own that could stand up to the TF's, and so they created Centurion; a robot shell that could be commanded by a human from a control center miles away via remote mind link.

An old scientist called Professor Morris once took control of a battle damaged Swoop and experienced the joy of flying and the power of a robot body. He became the guinea pig for Centurions trial outing.

Centurion was not a weedy nerd. He could mix it up with the big boys and was probably one of the only other beings that could beat the tar out of Megatron in the way that Optimus Prime could. The Dinobots regarded him as 'Their silent friend' and he was ace. He was like a battletech or mobile gundam suit but with a baseball helmet for a head (sort of).

I wonder if anyone's ever going to bring him back, like Simon Furman, or Dreamwave? Professor Morris, the last I remember him was locked in the Centurion control room behind 50 foot thick doors or something, with enough food and water to last him a year.... but that was back in 1987. Did he ever get out?

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Copyright might not let DW use this character.

In G1 vol2 #3 there're some military and scientific guys examine Scourge. On the base of him, the could built Centurion, and introduce professor Morris.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

It would be great if they did. Professor Morris was a frail old man, who most probably resembles Monty Burns now. But when he was in control of Centurion, he let all his inhibitions go and kicked ass. That's got to be more interesting than.... Lazarus.
RID Scourge

Re: The glory of Centurion.

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Auntie Slag
He could mix it up with the big boys and was probably one of the only other beings that could beat the tar out of Megatron in the way that Optimus Prime could.

That's funny. I always thought Prime left that job to Ratchet. :p
Grendel
Protoform

Post by Grendel »

last i knew, centurion was damaged fighting megatron and the two of them fell into a river
Beer is good.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Centurion appears in Eugenesis by James Roberts, if it's any consolation.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Last that's seen of him is being peeled off Megatron [Straxus-Megatron, to be precise, though that won't be retconned for another 80-odd issues] and chucked in a corner of Shockwave's MAD SCIENTIST lab by Snaptrap, who almost certainly isn't as qualified medic, In "Salvage" [UK #160-161].

Now, I love "Ancient Relics" to bits. It's actually a good TF/Action Joe crossover. But it'd be dead nice if they'd explained how the Hell Centurion appears to have gained sentience...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I thought it was impactor in ancient relics? Or is my memory playing merry hell?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sounds like a jolly purgatory to me, mate... Grimlock makes Wheelljack repair Centy after Galvatron tears his face off in "Fallen Angel", and WJ does such a good job he seems to have cut the Prof out of the circuit... It's not explicict, but there's no reference to Morris or indeed the fact that Centrion isn't alive [I actually can't remember if the Dinobots even know that he's Morris, but the tone feels very off].
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Damn old age setting in. Always loved ancient relics.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
[I actually can't remember if the Dinobots even know that he's Morris, but the tone feels very off].

Swoop knew.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Ozz
Swoop knew.

Ooooh right [my working knowledge of In the National Interest is terrible - however many times I read it, I can only ever remember Slag going "ooo 'eck - Decepticons!"]... I realy need to re-read Ancient Relics to properly articulate my point though.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

He didn't knew in 'In National Interest'. He find out in 'Fallen Angel'.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oh God yeh! It's in the Jeff Anderson bit though, meaning I kinda whistle though ;) I suppose he could have not told Grimmers, but you'd think WJ would notice... Also, while it was only suggested, I really got the impression the feedback or something killed Morris in #101.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Morris took control of Swoop in #102 for a monent to fight Galvatron. I wonder what happened with him later, since Centurion's not only sentient, but he doesn't refer to himself as Morris in 'Ancient Relics' (well, he could be Morris and not think about it but in the character usually goes 'I was once .....' ;) ), it looks like he's a completely new person. Did Wheeljack have his own Matrix and create a new life? ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Maybe Spike was involved?
"I wanna build a sentient android!"
Ratchet & Wheeljack: "Go on then!"
[he does]

Ah, the original cartoon's such a masterpiece, isn't it?
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Even if Centurion had been destroyed utterly in 'Fallen Angel', there is no evidence to suggest it would have rubbed out Prof. Morris' mind. He was safely ensconsed in the Triple I lab miles away. He doesn't feel pain if Centurion gets an arm ripped off, he simply knows he cannot control that limb any more. He can think clearly in a battle situation despite Centurions wounds (missing his body), in order to convince and take over Swoops body as Ozz mentioned.

Does this transcience suggest that the Prof. can quite happily remain in the Triple I lab and let his mind float around in the ether, causally hijacking a passing robots body for ****s and giggles?

Is Swoop secretly in league with the Prof. and hasn't told anybody for all these years?

I read 'Ancient Relics' just now, and it doesn't make the best sense. Centurion acts as if he is a robot. There is no hint of Professor Morris apart from his recollection of the first time he fought with Megatron in UK #76. Is this a new robot with somebody else's memories, like Arnie in Total Recall? Did Simon Furman goof majorly and just hope we wouldn't notice?

Once Wheeljack gave Centurion the new face, and once he acquired this 'sentience', it wasn't the same. I still love the 'Ancient Relics' storyline, but the whole Centurion issue leaves a lot to be desired in my mind.
spiderfrommars
Protoform

Post by spiderfrommars »

Its a nice idea to think that Morris still had subliminal control over Centurion during Ancient Relics.

Whats worth noting is that at the end of In The National Interest it is explained that the vault holds only a years supply of food and water(though what the point of that is exactly I don't know). So in the end Morris would have either wasted away in there or come out to face the III boys (Who most likely would've banged him up or killed him off).
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

If my memory doesn´t fail me, the tripple I guys left Morris, telling him that they told the authorities he´s responsible for everything, so that he´d end up in jail or something.

[edit] stupid types - just one little "f"...
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Originally posted by Cyberman
I my memory doesn´t fail me, the tripple I guys left Morris, telling him that they told the authorities he´s responsible for everything, so that he´d end up in jail or something.

Aah yes, so that explains Morris' departure, leaving only the issue of Wheeljack's lifegiving Lancia-matrix job on the Centurion rebuild. Did Centurion's head module therefore contain residual memories of the Prof's thoughts? like an imprint in concrete that is yet to set?

Did Triple III inadvertently stumble upon a process not unlike the creation matrix? developing a system that can leech an identity from an appropriate host?

Did Wheeljack unwittingly input the final pieces of the puzzle regarding this? with Cybertronian technology heavily augmenting human (or American) ingenuity? The offshoot generating a sentient being containing the essential thought processes of Professor Morris mixed with the overpowering goody-two shoesiness of starch pressed Y-front Autobot dogma?

Is Brawn really dead?