Leslie Nielsen dies, age 84.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Slayer-Fan123

Leslie Nielsen dies, age 84.

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

First Lloyd Bridges, then Robert Stack, then Peter Graves, now Nielson. It's the curse of Airplane! If I were That Bloke Who Threw Water In His Face I'd be crapping myself
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Sad, but he was 84. He lived a decent length of time really.

And he wasn't 'found dead', he died in hospital after getting pneumonia two weeks previously - which is quite a normal way for an old person to go.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I just watched him in Creepshow last week too, arguably my favorite performance of his actually. Too bad, but then everyone dies.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Despite a few dodgy films the guy was a true comedy legend. R.I.P.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I got ahold of a copy of Airplane with the Guardian the other week and I guess I've got a reason to watch it now.
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Got to agree with Ss - sad and all, but it's a decent age, and the guy managed to fit two careers into his life. Respect the Nielsen!

EDIT: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Mov ... tml?hpt=T1 - "Nielsen died of complications of pneumonia in a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, surrounded by family and friends, a family statement said." - any chance someone can change Good Charlotte's topic title so it reflects what actually happened?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Surely you can't be serious?
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Got to agree with Ss - sad and all, but it's a decent age, and the guy managed to fit two careers into his life. Respect the Nielsen!

Yep, even if it's been a very long time since he was in something good (something the BBC seemed to agree with as they called Spy Hard one of his last films, even if the clip they played suggested they got the name of Scary Movie wrong) his absolutely perfect dead pan delivery tended to raise up even the crap,and when given good material he was awesome (it's kinda worrying how that Shirley gag never gets old isn't it?).

Also note how he died almost imediately after Aunty Slag slagged off Due South? It can't be a coincidence. Bad Nielson killing Slag :(

Oh, and not him directly, but I always thought this was brilliant (and sadly the best part of the film):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYOVgXxo8o4
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, firstly there are the fat women swimming, which I thought was the funniest thing ever. Then, one of them farted and I'm pretty sure I've given myself an embolism laughing.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Summerhayes wrote:I got ahold of a copy of Airplane with the Guardian the other week and I guess I've got a reason to watch it now.
Blasphemer. It being Airplane! is reason enough to watch it.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Cliffjumper wrote:any chance someone can change Good Charlotte's topic title so it reflects what actually happened?
Done. Imagine that. I moderated something! :clap:
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Yeh, firstly there are the fat women swimming, which I thought was the funniest thing ever. Then, one of them farted and I'm pretty sure I've given myself an embolism laughing.
The song itself is absolutely spot on though. All I can remember about the movie itself is Mr. T showing up randomly.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffjumper wrote:Got to agree with Ss - sad and all, but it's a decent age, and the guy managed to fit two careers into his life. Respect the Nielsen!
:up:

He had a good go at it. RIP.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:The song itself is absolutely spot on though. All I can remember about the movie itself is Mr. T showing up randomly.
Yeh, Bond title pastiches, groundbreaking stuff. I like it when he sang "Spy Hard" for like really long, it was good joke and I think I have a little bit of pee while laughing.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

His ability to bridge slap-stick with being the straight-man was well honed and executed (well, aside from Dracula, Dead and Loving It ... but everyone's due at least one mulligan). Something he arguably did better than Zeppo Marx (which is saying a lot).

Still, I'll always remember him most fondly as the understated prototype of Captian Kirks everywhere in Forbidden Planet.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Yeh, Bond title pastiches, groundbreaking stuff. I like it when he sang "Spy Hard" for like really long, it was good joke and I think I have a little bit of pee while laughing.
Have you actually seen much of Nielson's stuff? His last decent role was playing a flatulent Mountie who kept falling off his horse. He wasn't really associated with subtle highbrow comedy.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nope - I've seem the good ones, not many of the bad ones. Saw Spy Hard, though, it was petty stupid and mined out. Like Bond title spoofs with fat chicks and long notes. Certainly not "brilliant" in any way, shape or form.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

No thank you I don't wear them.

Post by Auntie Slag »

Nobody's mentioned 'Police Squad' yet?

Person: "Who are you, and how did you get in here"?

Drebin: "I'm a locksmith... and I'm a locksmith".

A star, but even Naked Gun 2 1/2 was pushing it. Still, 'Airplane' comes with magazines and the entire series of 'Police Squad' can be had for pennies from Amazon.

And 'Due South' still sucks, Dalek.:)

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sades

Post by Sades »

Due South was ridiculous fun.
I know somebody who knows somebody who knows Paul Gross. I'M SEMI-FAMOUS.