[Original RPG] RPG. Your thoughts and ideas?

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

RPG. Your thoughts and ideas?

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Okay guys, so there we have it. The final climatic battle of Good versus Evil, resulting in the Heroic Rodimus Convoy saving Cybertron and the Transformers ...

I know that the arc had it's ups and downs, often being chaotic and confused at times, but we figured we'd take this time to organise things a bit better for the next story arc and find out what YOU think about how the RPG's going.

Please be sure to check the NEW Rules and Guidelines thread thoroughly and note the new character limit rules.

Character choices are based on a 40 point limit. To find the point total for any character simply add all stats (not including rank) and divide by 7. For Combiner teams add the gestalt stats, divide by 7 then multiply by 2.

EXAMPLE - Springer

STR:10 INT:9 SPD:8 END:9 CRG:10 FRPWR:9 SKL:8

10+9+8+9+10+9+8 = 63 (all stats added together, ignoring rank)
63 / 7 = 9 (total of stats divided by 7 to get average)
40-9 = 31 (total point allowance minus char average)
Leaving 31 points to pick other characters with.

Gestalts/Combiner Teams work slightly differently. For those take the GESTALT stats ie - Predaking if you choose the Predacons.
Add together the stats for said GESTALT. Divide by 7 then multiply by 2.

'Why are the rules set so high for Gestalts?' I hear you ask...well we feel it's a neccessary move in order to encourage players choosing Combiner teams to characterise their choices as they're so 'expensive'

We have also decided (for the good of the game) that 'alien race' characters will not be allowed. There are plenty of TF Canon characters that can be chosen and we would prefer if you would do so.

Fan-Made Characters will not be allowed to be controlled by new-comers to the RPG. Instead we encourage any new players to choose an already existing character that they can play and prove their RPG abilities.
If the player controls the character well, then we will accept submissions for fan-made characters. There will be a 1 month playing period in which to prove playing skills.

Again, this is a step in the direction to help characterisation. The RPG team feel as a whole, that many Fan-made characters don't get a lot of thought put into them we would like to insure quality play through these steps
StoneCold Skywarp

c'mon guys don't be shy, let us know how you think things went.

We don't bite...despite those large teeth marks on the door...It's Syxx, he likes to gnaw stuff...
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Well, considering I was out for pretty much most of it, I can't really give a good account of it, can I Warp? :p

But seriously, when I did get back to things, I think I pulled off some pretty good things on Cybertron. And as one of the guys at the keeping things alive @ the Earth thread, I must say that I've been instrumental in things there. :)
StoneCold Skywarp

we don't need personal accounts of how you think you played ;)

More thoughts about the story lines, how well the game flowed stuff like that y'know.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

I doubt this applies to me, but I decided to ask anyways to be sure. I've been here for about two months already at least and I have an official character and a fan character. I'm not going to have to stop using my fan char for awhile, am I? I understand the whole senario about people not developing or thinking much about their characters (I run two RPG boards of my own and I see this happen alot) but trust me, ALOT of thought has been put into mine, and the fanfic I've nearly finished writing should be proof of that.

Anyways, as comments go, I really enjoyed this story arch. I came in the middle of it (I think) but everyone seemed worked together well and it ran really smoothly. I hope the next one is just as good.
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

The last arc was flowing fine until I dropped out then it became hard to follow. It's easier to get if you are right up in it.
Darkside
Protoform

Post by Darkside »

The role-playing, in of itself, was fine by me. Just a bunch of guys trying to have fun. However, I have to disagree with your character restrictions. New ideas, when written properly, make for interesting plots. I am only arguing this point because I have original characters who ain't too shabby if I do say so myself (with, as stated in their profiles, alien origins). You can't just use the materials at hand forever. You'll run out of good ideas. Too many restrictions can spoil the game.
You may fear me now.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Originally posted by Darkside
The role-playing, in of itself, was fine by me. Just a bunch of guys trying to have fun. However, I have to disagree with your character restrictions. New ideas, when written properly, make for interesting plots. I am only arguing this point because I have original characters who ain't too shabby if I do say so myself (with, as stated in their profiles, alien origins). You can't just use the materials at hand forever. You'll run out of good ideas. Too many restrictions can spoil the game.

let me put it coldy, i don't care if you don't like the restrictions. We have too many actual characters sitting on the sidelines and too many unknowns running around. This makes the game confusing and difficult to RP. If you don't like the changes, you don't have to play.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Surely the point of a TF RPG is to have TF chars that already exist? I think that is a point that 'Warp is getting across, so if the new rules and restrictions help promote that, then surely it is for the good of the RPG as a whole?

Plus, having the points system could restrict people from having too many chars, leaving more open for newer RPGers to pick up.

I think it's a good idea 'Warp.

And a quick question, we dont have to repost profiles, etc do we?

EDIT: Damn stupid idea 'Warp, I'm 1.5 over:mad: :p

I'll figure something out....damn you ;)
Ravage
Protoform

Some Thoughts

Post by Ravage »

But the point is we have alot of "unknown" charecters that have been built up quite a bit throughout the rpg in which there hvae been quite a few: Alpha Convoy, Whitespeed, Sixswitch, the Cosmobots, Battlecons and Hatemonger in particular that have had good plot and charecter dev etc.

Also, there have been plenty of charecters that have never shown up on the tv shows or comics as well did anyone really care about them?

There are amany people I know around here that were interested in the RPG until they saw the restrictions in use of fan-made charecters which they didn't care for. Try to remember a lot of reason people will made fan-made is they relate to them alot more then "real" charecters do. They can put personallity traits and quirks that they can't do or relate to with "real" charecters. Also, the fact that you are asking to implement these rules with alot of the poplular charecters have been taken may not help?

Also, maybe more freedom in what people can do, I would have like to do more things on Earth in terms of invading stuff but I didn't want to step on any mods toes since I have no clue whats been planned for Earth, some maybe some more information given to higher ranking non-mod charecters *Cobra Commander and Hatemonger are the two I think of right off the top of my head*. So these players can work and get something going?

Anyway I am cool with the new rules just wanted to state my feelings of the fan made guys :) Not trying to start any wars this time honest :)!

Oh BTW the 40 point value is more than fair if I thought did it out right.
WarCon Apocalypse
Protoform

Post by WarCon Apocalypse »

Hmmm...Well, this kills any ideas I had about comeing back to this RpG. The stat system doesnt bother me, but quite frankly dissallowing of Alien origin characters is not good IMO. Some people cant play premade characters the way they are supposed to, and, a great deal of them have been snatched up. I mean who wants to play as Bumble Bee?, or some rinky dink Transformer that was left behind like the burnt potatoe chip in the bag?.

As I recall when I got here, most of the cast of G1 was already taken. And of course a major portion of the comics own cast as well,...

No, Forget it, No matter what I say I will get the same reaction that Darkside got over this matter. I dont like what I see, I view it as a Majorly bad idea. I am not going to be Roleplaying here, period.
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Originally posted by WarCon Apocalypse
I am not going to be Roleplaying here, period.

Whooooo!

Alien-made characters are allowed you just have to go through all the probation periods!
StoneCold Skywarp

hmm...that's odd cos I could quite happily name 50+ TF Canon characters that could be played quite easily.

It's also not incredibly difficult to place your own characterisation onto players (within boundries) If you find it's not possible, maybe you're not the calibre of RPer you think you are.

As for the fan-made chars, Rav, sure it seems a little harsh, but understand that we need some way to moderate them, this seemed the fairest way for all involved. One of the biggest complaints from most of the storys we had was the amount of characters that couldn't be related to. I'll have a word with the other mods about already established fan-made characters in the RPG and see if we can come to some sort of agreement.
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp

As for the fan-made chars, Rav, sure it seems a little harsh, but understand that we need some way to moderate them, this seemed the fairest way for all involved. One of the biggest complaints from most of the storys we had was the amount of characters that couldn't be related to. I'll have a word with the other mods about already established fan-made characters in the RPG and see if we can come to some sort of agreement.

For already known characters they shiould be able to skip the one month probation period since we already know how they are played.
WarCon Apocalypse
Protoform

It's also not incredibly difficult to place your own characterisation onto players (within boundries) If you find it's not possible, maybe you're not the calibre of RPer you think you are.

I never said anything about myself not being able to Roleplay out Premade characters, and I wasnt hinting about it either. In truth some premade characters are harder to play then others, heaven knows I couldnt begin to play a Non-Exsistent Personality wise character such as Shockwave cause I prefer characters with some form of Personality to work with. I mean with no personality they might as well sit there like a Statue, Personality is what makes the characters the way they truly are...

We have also decided (for the good of the game) that 'alien race' characters will not be allowed. There are plenty of TF Canon characters that can be chosen and we would prefer if you would do so.

Now I completely understand that things have to be Moderated and kept in check, I've been Roleplaying for over 11 years now and I've seen what no restrictions can cause.....Such as the Ultra uber sayian god head at this one board I saw...But to dissallow Alien origin characters...Out there, there are thousands of Alien life forms out there, and parralel dimensions, even other Universes that can be breached. And I'm sure that there are other races of Transformers out there, Transformers who were seperated from Transport, exiled, or got lost on a Scientific research expidition like Sky/Jetfire did when him and Starscream came to earth way way back then. You see where I am getting at?, I understand the need to Moderate, But I maintain that dissallowing Alien Origin characters is a bad idea.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Is there still a limit on the number of characters we can have?
Or can we have as many chars as we want, as long as they comply with the 40 point rule?
Darkside
Protoform

Post by Darkside »

So you see, Galvatron and Stonecold, your ideas are really bad ones. With as many members as there are and only so many characters to go around, you won't have enough good characters for everyone. You still won't have as many diverse plots either. Thus, it will not be as fun. You've missed the point of role-playing. It's not just fandom, it's creative fun. If you don't make up original stuff, you're not changing, not getting any new thought-provoking ideas, and not entertaining.
You may fear me now.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

So you see, Galvatron and Stonecold, your ideas are really bad ones. With as many members as there are and only so many characters to go around, you won't have enough good characters for everyone. You still won't have as many diverse plots either. Thus, it will not be as fun. You've missed the point of role-playing. It's not just fandom, it's creative fun. If you don't make up original stuff, you're not changing, not getting any new thought-provoking ideas, and not entertaining.

you are incorrect in your assessment and the mods all have agreed that this is the best way to regain control or the game. I really don't care if you think the idea is bad...I think your roleplaying is bad, but i don't say anything...oops...I just did.

look...read the rules. We are still going to allow a few fan mades. But not entire squads anymore, its insane. If you and warcon do not like our rules, go play somewhere else and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

You notice you and War Con are the only ones complaining that much about this? You get new thought provoking ideas by changing characters not just making new god modding invincible ones like yourself and your body war-con. For instance Sunstreaker becoming more Zealous to Optimus is a change, Blaster getting new casettes is a big change. Just because your super characters will not be the center of plots doesn't mean that new thought provoking ideas cannot be acheived it just means that super characters cannot be retrieved unless they know you can play well and even then if the character is un-beatable he will not be allowed.

Now quit whining and if you don't wanna play just leave. The RPG would be better for it.
WarCon Apocalypse
Protoform

Originally posted by Blaster_86
You notice you and War Con are the only ones complaining that much about this? You get new thought provoking ideas by changing characters not just making new god modding invincible ones like yourself and your body war-con. For instance Sunstreaker becoming more Zealous to Optimus is a change, Blaster getting new casettes is a big change. Just because your super characters will not be the center of plots doesn't mean that new thought provoking ideas cannot be acheived it just means that super characters cannot be retrieved unless they know you can play well and even then if the character is un-beatable he will not be allowed.

Now quit whining and if you don't wanna play just leave. The RPG would be better for it.

You know, your starting again. when you posted you have just tried to egg on Darkside, and me. And do I have to say it?, your the one who had the Demi god character. So dont judge others for their characters, Thats as far as I am going to say with that. And if you persist on ordering either Darkside or myself to leave as you have been, We will not go. Infact I'll bend over backwards and agree to rules that I dont like and play them, and play them to my Maximum skills JUST to burn you up. So dont start with me or Darkside, do you understand me?.

There is a difference between whineing and getting your point across, I feel that some of these ideas are bad. I am not sitting here and saying "Wah change them back", I am more focused on the fact that I use custom characters with Alien origins. My favorites happen to be my Warcons, the next runners up are the Slavercons. There a funny group of Triple changer decepticons, who are no good at fighting, only gathering resources and being large pains in peoples sides through their antics. Now before this I was planning on comeing back, but that makes it a bit hard since I make alot of custom characters with Alien origins now doesnt it?.