LitG update on convention and DW situation

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

LitG update on convention and DW situation

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/colum ... ticle=2041
TRANSFARMERS

Sadly Destination Entertainment are not going to be hosting the next Transformers Convention nor the Collectors Club. But expect an announcement as to who will be later this month, and DE ito be involved with that company. Their stock from the previous company is merely that.

Though it might not be too alarming to suggest that DE people may be writing Transformers comics for the relevant license holder next year.

Talking of which, what's the latest with the Dreamwave Vs McDonaugh/Patyk situation?

Issue 10 of the "Transformers G1" series was their last, and the overarching storyline outline for G1 has not been made available to Dreamwave. Recent interviews with new writers Chris Sarracini and Simon Furman have Chris stating, "Some of the previous writers have set in place some twisting storylines and unique character details that I intend to build on to a certain degree."

However, if the previous creators have not been paid for certain stories and concepts, then ownership is suddenly up in the air and lawyers might start running with open hands ready to catch.

There appear to be a few other unpaid freelance creators at Dreamwave right now, some unwilling to continue work unless paid for previous assignments.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

See, now that's what I was afraid of - that Adam and James own many of the ideas DW have used... Oh God, continuity reboot here we come...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
See, now that's what I was afraid of - that Adam and James own many of the ideas DW have used...

I thought Sunbow owned many of the ideas that Adam and James used...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

There is that. But apparently DW own the copyright to Worlds Collide, despite it actually being Target 2006. Strange world.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

There is that. But apparently DW own the copyright to Worlds Collide, despite it actually being Target 2006. Strange world.

Glad I'm not the only person who picked up on that...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Basically, you're accusing Furman of ripping off his own idea. ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

*nods*

On other business... if their contract is declared void, story rights to MicroMasters and part of G1 could revert, slowing the trade paperback cash-in.
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

maybe they'll pull a "cosmic event destroys everything, phoenix-style character/primus brings back prime & tells him that he has to go back to when things started & do it differently, else the world is doomed" type thing... Or furman could just make up stuff & keep on plugging on - it isn't like most people take the g1 ongoing that seriously anyway, do they?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Pfff, they'll just largely ignore things. Chris' Vol. 2 Preview was ignored by the Vol. 2 team, and no-one seemed to care.

Personally, though, they'll probably wrap everything up very quickly, and start on their own story - much the same way as Vol. 2 did. Aside from a few deliberate changes and continuity flubs [and let's face it, other DW material and[/i] Marvel material had several of these], Vol. 2 didn't really contradict Vol. 1 on a massive scale - to be honest, there have been more pathetic cop-outs than the Wheeljack thing written by one writer... I suspect more of the same.

One question/thought, though... I'm very surprised McDontyk have much of a claim to what they've done for a corporate-owned comic. I always gathered the general arrangment for these things was that all work was owned by either the comic company or Hasbro - for example, this was why Furman did that advert thing for DH [though I think it turned out Marvel owned him anyway, unless Furman just thought of the royalties for DH2]... It's hard to imagine Bob Bud trying to take the tech specs and Underbase with him if he'd wanted from Marvel. And how does the McDontyk thing work anyway? Surely they can't lay much of a claim to, say, G1 MTMTE, as it was 90% recycled material from TFU and tech specs anyway?*

I'm kinda torn on the outcome, too. On the one hand, the principle of the thing, I support McDonough and Patyk, though as someone raised on TFormers, I find it astonishing payment for work like Micromasters wasn't discussed at some point before its' completion... But on the other hand, they're not a wildly talented, hugely likeable pair of individuals [actually, I can only say the latter for Patyk, as I've never really read much about McDonough, though the pen-name thing seemed a bit childish and pointless], and them winning their wages won't really light up my life... I'd prefer not to have another great big DW TF ****-up.

* = Incidentally, I'm rather pissed that Bob didn't get any credit for this.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Technically even dictionaries are covered by copyright.

McDonough and Patyk would have to challenge for breach of contract and try to have it dissolved. I'm sure they'd much rather settle for cash, since they couldn't do anything commercial with their script work.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'd rather see the ongoing dissolve than have a continuity reboot. You can't have ten damn issues and then pull something like that.

While I've been a fan of Dreamwave lately and think everything except Energon and Micromasters has at least been entertaining if not good IMO, I hope they get raked over the coals if the allegations are true and they haven't been paying people on schedule. It's like Ryan's bs on a larger scale. Remember how bad we thought that would hurt the fandom? Imagine what this could do.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

One question/thought, though... I'm very surprised McDontyk have much of a claim to what they've done for a corporate-owned comic.

It would depend on the exact terms of their contract (though interpritation of said contract is what's causing all the trouble), but generally charecters and plot created by the writter remain the writters property. Think of the various Doctor Who monsters the BBC don't own, or even the last episode of The Trial of a Timelord, where Pip and Jane were barred from knowing anything of Erics original script, including how the thing was supposed to end...

Even if DW could use any of the Mick gestalts plots I doubt they would as they'd want to avoid anything that could result in the old team trying to claim money...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!