audience reaction

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Angus
Protoform

audience reaction

Post by Angus »

How was the audience reaction in the session you attended?

I watched the movie twice. One on June 28th, in a screening for those who attended the "Transformers building unwrapping" event in Hollywood. Since this event started at 7am, with people starting to arrive around 3am in the morning, I assume the audience consistely mostly of hardcore transformers fan. Everyone cheered loudly during every other scene, it was really awesome, a great experience and something that I will not forget.

Last night (July 2nd) I watched it again, and I believe this time the audience was formed of both transformers fan, and regular movie-goers that got excited with the trailer. Even though there was still some cheering in some of the scenes, it wasn't nearly as loud and infinitely not nearly as frequent as in the June 28th screening. That was kind of disappointing, but I still could tell people enjoyed the movie. The reaction at the end was very positive.

How was it in the sessions you attended?
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Re: Audience Reaction

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Originally posted by Angus
How was the audience reaction in the session you attended?

I watched the movie twice. One on June 28th, in a screening for those who attended the "Transformers building unwrapping" event in Hollywood. Since this event started at 7am, with people starting to arrive around 3am in the morning, I assume the audience consistely mostly of hardcore transformers fan. Everyone cheered loudly during every other scene, it was really awesome, a great experience and something that I will not forget.

Last night (July 2nd) I watched it again, and I believe this time the audience was formed of both transformers fan, and regular movie-goers that got excited with the trailer. Even though there was still some cheering in some of the scenes, it wasn't nearly as loud and infinitely not nearly as frequent as in the June 28th screening. That was kind of disappointing, but I still could tell people enjoyed the movie. The reaction at the end was very positive.

How was it in the sessions you attended?

Ya know, judging by what a lot of people are saying in this forum, I MIGHT decide to go see the movie myself. I am glad to hear that many of you all are giving me different insights on well the movie did. I may try to see it this week or next week myself.
:devil: Image :angel:
Dr Roivas
Protoform

Post by Dr Roivas »

I saw it yesterday and the audience reacted very favorably. They clapped when Cullen started the opening narration, cheered when Optimus, Iron Hide, Bumblebee, Megatron or Starscream did something particularly awesome and when the film was over nearly everyone was applauding.
Gadguard
Protoform

Post by Gadguard »

Most of the people there when I saw it were just regular people but they seemed to like the movie. Every clapped at the end and the movie theater when I walked out was pack full of people wanting to see the movie.
ShinX115
Protoform

Post by ShinX115 »

I registered just so I could respond to this thread.

I went with 2 other guys on Saturday the 7th, last showing of the night at 10:20pm.

The place was completely packed, with the lineup of peopel waiting to get in going from the theatre entrance to the far exit, and wrapping back around past the entrance again and around the corner...point being that a lot of people showed up early to try to get good seats.

Pretty much everyone was in their early 20's at the least, so I assume most of them grew up watching G1.

Before the movie, there was a lot of excitement in room, with people randomly jumping up and shouting out "TRANSFORMERS!!" and various catch phrases from the show.

During the movie I personally noticed about a dozen people walk out. Through most of the movies it was quiet, no cheering at all (other than at "one shall stand, one shall fall"). There was a handful of people giggling at some of the cheesy dialogue throughout the movie.

Once the credits hit, there was no cheering...for the most part it was dead silence, with people immediately getting up and shuffling out the door as soon as the credits were rolling...when stuff appeared on screen durring, most people kept walking out anyways which is unusual.

The most reaction I saw during or after the movie, was when the credits rolled and a few dozen people (myself included) booed. One of the guys I was with hated it, the other said it was "okay if you can stop yourself from thinking about what youre seeing". Another audience member came up to me and also expressed his displeasure for the film...none of these guys were that big of G1 fans, having not watched it since they were kids.

After the response I witnessed and after seeing the movie for myself I expected to come here and find everyone completely outraged and am very surprised that isnt the case.

Now I have no problems with others liking this movie, but I just cannot comprehend why any fan of G1 (especially anyone who has watched it any time this millenium) could have enjoyed this movie.
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Are you sure it was Transformers? Maybe you watched Transmorphers by mistake....
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Neotyrant

Post by Neotyrant »

Audience reaction was insane both times I saw it. The first time I saw it, it was a week in advance and I won tickets for a sneak peak showing. It involved standing in line for 5 hours with a huge line (I'm safe in assuming the majority of people there were TF fans. Why else would they wait for 5 hours?). The audience screamed and cheered for just about every scene. It went NUTS when Prime appeared on screen for the first time.

Second time I saw it was on Independence Day and, again, had to wait in a line (but only for an hour). Same thing happened despite the fact that the audience was more of a mixed bag (ie: folks dragged to the movie by someone else, ect). I overheard as I was walking out a bunch of people saying they thought it would suck, but that it was fantastic. Lots of hoots and hollers during the film, too.
"Hey, I just thought of something. Why are we doing this?"
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

I haven't seen it personally yet but my Step-Brother saw it last night (despite saying he wouldn't) said everyone, including himself, loved it.

From Shinx description he went to the only movie theatre where people have been unhappy with this movie so far. That or he's just giving sour grapes because he didn't like the movie and is exaggerating what happened.

It's not G1 kids. As Jim said in his thread, G1 is dead and get over it.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
zeoman4.5

Post by zeoman4.5 »

Honestly I have a hard time figuring weither or not I actually liked
it. When I went, I took my three bros., my Best friend, and my
girl friend. About half of them have seen G1 and all but my youngest bro. like TF a lot. When the opening sequence hit with
Prime's voice talking about Cybertron and the War, I was amazed.
The part with Blackout did a number on my group we were all in
awe. Then the low part sunk in. All the parts with Sam were so
cheap that I couldn't enjoy them. The audience seemed to agree
with me. In the begining everyone was so excited then it sudenly
became dead untill the very last 30 min. or so. From when the
Bumblebee was wscaping with the allspark untill the ending
credits people were gasping, applauding, chearing, and feeling
good. After it ended I stayed and watched the credits, and
Starscream getting away. It gave me a sense of relief. By
them though most of the crowd had left as well as my group.
Afterwards I ask them what they thought, Half were quite happy
excited, my friend was dissapointed in the non G1 stuff , but said
it was good enough. One of my Bros. was speechless. I still
have no real oppinion yet, I'll probably see it agian.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

So far I have seen it three times, twice it was a packed house and there was applause at the end.

One time it was nearly empty (10:30 pm fourth of july showing, that explains it all) and the handfull of people there were just as in awe as the other showings.

I intend to see it a few more times in theaters and since the huge buzz is over I don't expect such reactions or popularity.

It was a very fun movie with great moments, there were a few times I thought it was weak but overall it was the better than I expected for a movie based on a toyline.
Come on and wind me up.
Dragon Warrior Steve
Protoform

Post by Dragon Warrior Steve »

My second session people were "eh," but the premiere night was insane. We were all yelling and cheering at so many parts.
Prons
Protoform

Post by Prons »

It was pretty well recieved, after the movie a group of people behind us stood around during the credits and boasted their TF knowledge to each other. :yawn:
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

First (June 28th screening) and second (July 2nd premier) viewings were as I mentioned above. Third viewing (July 7th) was pretty quiet througout, except when the credits rolled up and everybody clapped.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

Funny how audiences in the US act completely different from the ones here in Holland...

No one's cheering or applauding here, no matter how good the movie is. People just stay quiet and wacht the movie :D

Dead End :"If we give away our energon cubes we're doomed.

Break Down :"If we don't we're doomed too.

Dead End :"Face it We're Doomed
Prons
Protoform

Post by Prons »

Originally posted by Ballplayer
Funny how audiences in the US act completely different from the ones here in Holland...

No one's cheering or applauding here, no matter how good the movie is. People just stay quiet and wacht the movie :D

Hah. Some people would really envy you, I know people who will go berserk if the entire theater isn't silent. :wall: :D
Decepticharge
Protoform

Post by Decepticharge »

It's funny to think of people cheering in movies. It's not like a sporting event where the players can feed off the energy in the stands.

I went to see it twice and both times, people laughed at the funny parts, but otherwise sat and enjoyed the movie. On the way out, I heard people saying comments like, "that was awesome". I totally agree. :)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

On the premiere yesterday, the cinema room was almost full. Most people were in their 20-30ies, with a few kiddies and some teenage girls here and there. Unfortunately, I couldn't really tell who was a casual fan and who was there just to see an action movie with big robots.

That being said, the audience laughed at most of Sam's quotes, cheered at some scenes, clapped a few times, but for most of the second part, they were nearly silent. Probably very few people realized who was who in the final battle with the Decepticons, and even fewer could tell any Decepticon apart from Megatron.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
ShinX115
Protoform

Post by ShinX115 »

No, I was not exaggerating about the audience reaction I saw. I was very surprised at what happened actually, especially since I have never heard of any other case where it was like this...I had another friend tell me that when he went it was crazy in the theatre with everyone cheering...In my experience there was a lot of excitement and cheering untiil the movie actually started.

I am not a fan of many of Michael Bays movies, but I did not approach the movie expecting to see any resemblence to the Transformers I grew up with. I did not have high expectations for the film, but expected it to be an enjoyable action movie at the very least, if not an enjoyable transformers movie.

There certainly was a lot of unhappy people after the showing though...actually after a while people started yelling things at the screen, like "just buy the f'n glasses off ebay!" and "how the hell does megatron know english?!?"

Anyways, like I mentioned, I went after the movie had been out for a few days already, and at a late show, and most of the people were in their early 20s, so based on that its possible the audience was mostly made up of people who watched G1 or G2, but werent interested enough to see the movie as soon as possible or possibly have done any research and were expecting similar to what they grew up with.

Also of the 2 people I was with and the other guy I talked to, all 3 were casual fans only having had watched the show as a kid. 2 of them didnt like it, 1 of them did.
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

I still think you watched the wrong movie. =)
I can understand one guy or another not liking the movie, but an entire audience? It's hard to believe. In all three viewings I've been, the audience response was very positive, and it seems like it was like this in every theater I read reports about, except yours.
You sure it wasn't Transmorphers??? =)
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by ShinX115
"how the hell does megatron know english?!?"
I thought about this too. In the novel, no Decepticon speaks English except when speaking to Sam. They all speak Cybertronian. So, you can look at it two ways:

1) The conversation between Starscream and Megatron was actually in Cybertronian, but the story teller translated it to English for us.

or

2) Megatron, while in active, was more like in a coma. For 100 years he's been listening to humans speak English around him. So, he learned the language.

One thing I thought was weird was that Mikaela came up with the name "Autobots" but "Decepticons" was given to the bad guys by the good guys, apparently eons ago.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"