[JTF] Victory manga translations

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
DrSpengler
Protoform

[JTF] Victory manga translations

Post by DrSpengler »

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/japanese/trans461.php

The most boring manga I think I've ever had to translate. This first issue really isn't a good example of the all-out insanity that was the Victory manga, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Anyhow, I'm gonna finish up Super Robot Life after this and then I'll go back and do a couple more Victory issues, I think.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Wow.......

I'm so glad I'm not Japanese.

Decepticon Boy? :wtf:
~
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Five years of studying the Japanese language and this is what I use it for?

"With love for all mankind we shall protect the beauty of nature!"

Writing that made me violently ill.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Reading that made me violently ill.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Definately looks good. I can't wait to read the rest of the manga.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Victory Manga #2: Translated!

Post by DrSpengler »

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/japanese/trans473.php

I know I said I was gonna finish up 2010, but after doing a bunch of translations for Chris McFeely so he could write Solon's article at the TF Wiki, I got real interested in this volume of manga. Unlike all the other volumes before it, Victory has an actual unique, continuing plot, character developement and doesn't require you to watch the TV series to fill in gaps. It's actually rather...entertaining.

Sadly, it takes a few issues to really warm up. Still not much going on, but Solon and Jean's rivalry will gain some steam in #3.

As for "Jean" over "Jan", we had a discussion about romanizing his name over at the TF Wiki and came to an agreement that "Jean" is a better translation, so I decided to switch over to that one.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

DrSpengler wrote:Unlike all the other volumes before it, Victory has an actual unique, continuing plot, character developement and doesn't require you to watch the TV series to fill in gaps.
Although Victory Leo does seem to appear a bit of out of nowhere, doesn't he?
It's actually rather...entertaining.
So it's totally unlike the TV series? I got the book and I've browsed through the untranslated issues and even then I could tell there's more going on than...dare I say it? More than meets the eye?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Tetsuro wrote:Although Victory Leo does seem to appear a bit of out of nowhere, doesn't he?
Victory Leo is probably the one major downside, I found, as he lacks the origin he had in the TV series (which was one of the show's better moments).
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

And even he has an adopted human kid!

The latest fad in the Transformers fashion, Adopt-A-Human!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Victory Manga #3 Translated!

Post by DrSpengler »

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/japanese/trans485.php

Observations:

*Ilumina's design is totally different in the manga than it is in the TV series (same thing goes for Jean, but we already knew that).

*On page 5 she TOTALLY looks like a finger puppet.

*How does a murderous tyranical despot enroll his son at a school in the territory he's trying to conquer? That would be like Osama Bin Laden enrolling his kid at Bayside High.

*Leozack is a doofus, sure, but forgetting to bring his breastplate partner into battle seems more like Hellbat's kinda screw-up.

*"-95 points"? How do they score these things?
Civ

Post by Civ »

Nice work, thanks Spengs. Who is Illumina in the anime? I'm asking because I own the Star TV dubs...woe is me.

Observation:

- Why didn't Jean or Solon just deck the other? Seriously. Wouldn't that make sense to just plow into one another if one is of the Autobots and the other of the Decepticons?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/japanes ... 2/Ep36.jpg

Bottom right (small pic, I know, but that's the only image of her as she appeared in the anime that I have on short notice). She shows up after Star Saber enrolls Jean at an Earth school (one of Victory's more entertaining episodes, if you can believe it). That giant mech he's piloting is called the "Ilumina II" which he named after he.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Oh, that's her real name! Jeez, I never knew. They call Jan/Jean "Mikon" and I think they call her "Meela/Mila" or something like that. The dubs just suck. Minerva in Masterforce was called "Nightbeat", which is really a shame since it makes here sound like a hooker.

I'm actually watching the Victory series again and I just got through that episode. I thought it was pretty funny when Star Saber is holding the nun in his hands and she's basically agreeing with whatever he says. It's pretty much a "DO IT OR I'LL CRUSH YOU!!" scene but nicer.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

DrSpengler wrote: *How does a murderous tyranical despot enroll his son at a school in the territory he's trying to conquer? That would be like Osama Bin Laden enrolling his kid at Bayside High.
I just envisioned that entire episode of [i}Saved By The Bell[/i]. Is it to late to send them a script do you think?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I dunno. They could use the script as a pilot for "Saved by the Bell: the NEW New Class" or "Saved by the Bell: the Bin Laden Years".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Was "Saved By The Bell" ever funny, or am I remembering it with far too much nostalgia? Do recall the later series getting a bashing...
Civ

Post by Civ »

Denyer wrote:Was "Saved By The Bell" ever funny, or am I remembering it with far too much nostalgia? Do recall the later series getting a bashing...
No, not really. I rewatched some of them and they were amusing but not really funny. The only real highlights of the show were Tiffani Amber-Thiessan and the girl who played Jesse.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The oriignal is good fun if watched in the right circumstances (in the middle of The Big Breakfast it's 899% funnier). It's certainly the best of those Peter Engle shows that all seemed to be variations on a putting the same characters into slightly different situations (cool teens at school! Cool teens in a band! Cool teens in France!). The New Class was the devil's penis though, despite running for 500 years.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

DrSpengler wrote:
*How does a murderous tyranical despot enroll his son at a school in the territory he's trying to conquer? That would be like Osama Bin Laden enrolling his kid at Bayside High.

*Leozack is a doofus, sure, but forgetting to bring his breastplate partner into battle seems more like Hellbat's kinda screw-up.

*"-95 points"? How do they score these things?
I believe these three points can be explained with the simple fact that Victory manga is bonkers. ;)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Victory manga #4 "Warrior of Love, Star Saber!"

Post by DrSpengler »

Victory #4: "Warrior of Love, Star Saber!

Observations:

*Can Jean and Solon just make-out already?

*So Shuta and Cab are back, but where's Minerva? My guess is that since they intended to introduce Patty, a hot yet motherly-natured blonde chick, Minerva would have been rather redundant.

*Kakuryu isn't a total numbskull in the manga, as opposed to the anime. Something that didn't make it through into English because I just couldn't figure out a way to make it work is that Kakuryu's attack is aparantly karate-related. The "second level" bit was actually a reference to the second level belt you receive in karate training called "ni dan".

*Yes. Star Saber ACTUALLY TELLS Kakuryu to "Go to Hell". I didn't make that part up.