Optimus (G1)
38%
Dinobot
62%

Total votes: 13

Dinobot#1

Who has a sadder death

Post by Dinobot#1 »

To me dinobot's death is still one off the 2 saddest moments in TF history .
Looking for Beast wars/ Beast machines pm me if you've got any.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

As much as Prime's death was epic, i'd say Dinobot's was not only sadder but more tension filled.

For one thing, there was never any doubt that Prime would curb stomp his way through the decepticons and defeat megatron.
He has come close to defeating Megs a number of times with Megs only coming out on tops through cheating.
Dinobot on the otherhand is out fire-powered by most of the Predacons, with only his eye beams and sword to rely on. Like Rattrap said, "Dinobot against 6 preds. There wont be enough of him left to make a toaster".
Unlike Prime who was doing very well up till Hot Rod's silliness, Dinobot was slowly getting worn down, hit over and over again.
IMO, i just find a true underdog fight sadder.

Secondly, dying for the cause is what is expected of Prime. Dinobot's internal conflict was set up great and lended to the emotional weight of his eventual sacrifice. Prime was confident of victory, Dinobot knew that the battle was only to buy time and that it would be his last.

Third, Dinobot's stakes were higher. He was fighting for the future of humanity. Prime was just retaking a base from the enemy.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I felt sorry for the Autobot squad who were the first to face G2 Megatron, especially poor Override. He had a good go, though.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

- Ironhide, DotM
- Override, GI Joe
- Highbrow, Edge of Extinction
- Ironfist, LSotW
- Inferno, Legacy of Unicron no wait, that was just awesome.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Pyro.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Pyro, poor pyro...

And Kick Off. Never got a break, the poor sod.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, I more found Pyro's funny in a dark way. He's so rubbish he can't even do heroic sacrifice with much panache. The visual knobbing of Dav's death in Shaun of the Dead hardly helped matters...
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I liked Pyro in that he seemed so beleagured. He was the biggest Wrecker (I know that doesn't really count for anything), and despite all the stuff in 'Bullets' and Springer's assertion that Pyro had clearly been picked for his hero qualities and such like... we never actually got to see him do anything. I was miffed when he had to take a back seat to protect Verity whilst the others took on Overlord.

However, I liked the fact that he woke up a bit at the end and realised what being an Autobot or... decent chap was all about and sod the Primus Apotheosis thing. I didn't find him rubbish as a result. Would've been nice to see him take out a few before becoming overwhelmed and a final expression like one of the sheep in Shaun the Sheep (as opposed to '.. of the Dead'!)
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Feck... Scrounge!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Highbrow's is just nasty isn't it?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Doesn't he fly into Unicron's mouth? That's just pointless!

Unlike Brainstorm who got pierced on a fingernail. And hey, no-one's mentioned Scorponok!

Melty!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Highbrow manages to get a couple of other guys killed through trying too hard not to buckle under the strain and run and then (and Dreadwind put it in that odd UK cliffhanger) committed "Sui...". Scorpy at least got a heroic redemptive self sacrifice. What makes Highbrow's harsh and sad is that it was all his own fault.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I dunno, personally I feel a lot worse for Cloudburst in that situation than I do for Highbrow.

I think I'll have to second (or third) Ironfist and Override. In Ironfist's case, because he survived the hell that was Garrus-9 even though he shouldn't have, even though much better soldiers gave their lives on that mission...only to die from something that he couldn't fight, something that he'd never have been able to defeat no matter what.

In Override's case, it made me sad because he knew he was dead the moment Megatron noticed him, but he did it anyway. He did it anyway to save the lives of a couple of his comrades, even though (canonically anyway) he barely knew either one of them. Chase deserves a special mention as well, staying behind to delay Megatron just to give the others a few minutes' head start even though he knew that he was crippled and wouldn't be able to escape. And having to do it all while being drawn like Searchlight, too...even the artist didn't give the poor Throttlebot any respect.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Warcry wrote:I dunno, personally I feel a lot worse for Cloudburst in that situation than I do for Highbrow.
But Cloudburst's a muppet (cf. Mecannibals/Femax). Really it's a point in Highbrow's favour.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

If you saw the TV spots (and I did) for TF:TM back in 86 they sort hinted at Optimus' "death" by saying "Does Prime die?" or "Optimus Prime and Megatron battle to the death!" over the scene where Megatron blasts Prime with the pistol. So I can't say that I was shocked by it. It was more memorable.

Dinobot's death however I didn't see it coming (and now looking back at Beast Wars I realize that I should have seen it coming) and it felt at first like a stunt but overall he went out as a warrior and died a hero.

I would still say Optimus Prime's death was better of two because I saw the TV spots and sort knew it was coming, while Dinobot's death was more of an angry "WTF!?" which is good in retrospect but not at the time since it almost turned against the show.

And since they both more or less came back to life and died a second time. I would say Dinobot II's death was better because AFAIK he's stayed dead the second time around.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Definitely Scrounge
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Jazz in TF '07. Just because I had no idea it would happen, and then it did so suddenly (and he was my little brother's favourite)
I like bears.
Gruff
Protoform

Post by Gruff »

I think Dinobot's death was one of the biggest in Transformer history, he was a big fan favourite and you just sort of expected him to last until reinforcements arrived.

G1 itself was riddled with shocking deaths though, most of the Wreckers were killed off in Time Wars and Catilla not long after when he saved Carnivac from Bludgeon's sword.

If anyone has read Simon Furman's G1/G2 finale Alignment there are several shocking but memorable deaths in there.

In the live action films well in 1 you had Jazz and then in DOTM you had Ironhide which was a shocker and Que which for me was quite startling to see him get executed like that.

But in the new IDW series I have to say Rung's recent departure and and Rotorstorm in LSOTW really left my jaw gaping
Gruff 3:16 says Brendocon is da man!!Image
melchizedek
Protoform

Post by melchizedek »

Transmutate
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

He died so heroic and he still didn't get to eat the rat.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.