[FICTION] Reckoning

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Warcry

[FICTION] Reckoning

Post by Warcry »

Those of you who've read one of these chapters in the past are probably expecting a gigantic wall of text in this post, but not this time! Instead, in order to make everything look a bit prettier and make it less of an intimidating read, I've hijacked a tiny bit of space on the server and set up a mini-site for it.

You can find it here. Aside from every chapter of the story so far, it also includes a who's who section that gives you a run-down on the Autobots, Decepticons, Imperials and humans who appear in the story (bar a few cameos, who were excluded because the list was already absurdly long).

You can find the newest chapter, #17, here.

If you haven't read the rest of the story and want to jump right in, here's what you need to know: With Jhiaxus dead, a Decepticon named Clench stepped in to assume command of the Cybertronian Empire forces in that section of the galaxy. But his superior, Overlord, soon arrived to take control and lead the fleet in an attack on a heavily-populated star system, then laid siege to Cybertron when the Autobots and Decepticons sent reinforcements to help. Cybertron fell but the feint was a disaster, costing many lives. Clench (whose incompetence caused the disaster) was led into a trap by angry subordinate Rage and his associate, the spy Skyjack, and captured by the surviving Autobots.

Meanwhile, Grotusque has assumed command of the survivors of Iacon, gathering intelligence and carrying out guerrilla attacks from their secret base deep beneath the city. Hun-grrr, Gunrunner and Punch are among those who've fallen under his command.

I really enjoyed writing this one, since Team Grotusque is easily my favourite of the factions that have formed throughout the story. The Imperials are a tonne of fun too, and this story is the first time in a long time that I've been able to work in a lot of the secondary characters on that side of things.

As always, comments and criticism are more than welcome!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

It is so weird reading it not as part of a forum post...

EDIT: Freaking awesome, started off like another operation chapter, but ended up revealing a lot of the things built up over the series and the payoff is generally awesome. Not much I can say without spoiling the entire thing, just that it's hands down epic.
Warcry

Re: [FICTION] Reckoning, Part Seventeen

Post by Warcry »

Goddamn, has it been five years?

Well, then I suppose it's a good thing that I've written five more chapters. They're kinda interconnected, so I wanted to post them all at once. If I'd known how long it would take, I probably would have reconsidered that! But even though I don't have very much time for this sort of thing anymore, I really did enjoy visiting this world again. Hopefully I'll find the time and energy to visit it again before another half-decade goes by. To be honest, IDW has made the Transformers' world so plain weird since the list time I did any writing that returning to the simpler days of Marvel felt a bit...quaint. But also very right.

Even if you've read the story before, it's been forever so a recap is probably a good idea!

Cybertron has fallen to forces from the Cybertronian Empire, led by the Liege Maximo's second in command Overlord. But Overlord is far from a loyal servant -- he wants nothing but his master's death, and he launched the invasion as part of a gambit to bring that about. One group of survivors, led by the Monsterbot Grotusque, have taken shelter below Iacon in Cybertron's extensive tunnel system and carried out a guerrilla war against the invaders. Another, led by Kup and Bugly, have found a safe haven in the Rad Zone and mostly kept their heads down. Optimus Prime and Megatron, absent during the invasion, are being led into the fray by Blurr.

On Earth, a bungled Imperial plot has led to Galvatron running rampant. He's formed an uneasy alliance with the Imperial Cobalt Sentries Garboil and Howlback, who have developed a dangerous bioweapon in the hopes of devastating humanity so that they cannot provide the Autobots with resources. A reluctant Bumblebee has been forced to assume command of an Autobot Earthforce that's entirely out of it's depth against the threats they're facing. And Ratchet, who has found himself becoming increasingly ruthless, is rotting in a cell after he murdered potential ally Shockwave.

In space, a mixed team of Autobots and Decepticons led by Spinister were drawn away from their homeworld before the invasion by an Imperial feint. They made the almost certainly suicidal choice to press an attack on the Hub rather than try to face off against the forces holding their world in sway. But a sizable number of the ship's Decepticons didn't like that idea, and their uprising almost doomed everyone.

And now...

Part Eighteen: Realignments -- Bumblebee leads a salvage team to the sunken Steelhaven while First Aid tries to figure out why the Aerialbots are having so much trouble controlling Superion's berserker rage.

Part Nineteen: Truth and Reconciliation, Decepticon Style -- Spinister is forced to step out of his comfort zone as he tries to figure out what to do with the surviving mutineers. Meanwhile, Springer and Whirl finally have it out and we get our first view of the Hub from the inside.

Part Twenty: Unhappy Returns -- Optimus Prime and Megatron arrive in a camp of survivors, but they find the welcome they receive a bit unsettling. The bleakness of the situation begins to wear on Kup's psyche. And when he needs to dig up a secret from Cybertron's past, Optimus has no one to turn to but the manipulative Decepticon Bugly.

Part Twenty-One: Mostly Human -- On Earth, Walter Barnett tries to recruit new allies but quickly finds the situation spiralling out of control. And when someone takes out a contract on her human servant Ga'mede, Howlback makes a rash decision that could doom the whole world.

Part Twenty-Two: Two Heads... -- Nemesis and Counterpunch team up to destroy the Autobots hiding under Iacon. Grotusque and his troops prepare to fan out to where they can do the most damage. Meanwhile, in Iacon, Rage, Skyjack and Drench all chafe under the weight of their new responsibilities.

If you read, I hope you enjoy! :)
Blackjack

Re: [FICTION] Reckoning

Post by Blackjack »

Goddamn, five chapters at once!

-drinks coffee, prepares for a long read-
LeroyAmbrose
Protoform
Custom Title: ok

Re: [FICTION] Reckoning

Post by LeroyAmbrose »

cooool