What did Phil Mitchell say to the Dinobot?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Summerhayes

What did Phil Mitchell say to the Dinobot?

Post by Summerhayes »

Shut up you Slag!

Seriously though, some of these names are ridiculous. For every "Deathasaurus" there's a "Ratbat"
I like bears.
Thunderscream

Post by Thunderscream »

I don't think Slugslinger made an appearance in BW, but I always thought he had a ridiculous-sounding name. It would be funny if he actually threw slimy energy-eating slugs at his enemies. :lol:
Darn Raccoons...
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Thunderscream wrote:I don't think Slugslinger made an appearance in BW, but I always thought he had a ridiculous-sounding name. It would be funny if he actually threw slimy energy-eating slugs at his enemies. :lol:
Doesn't come across as cool as it seems...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggott

I always thought Slugslinger was a play on "gunslinger." And then there's Krunk, whose gibberish, "alien" name has become a slang term as well.

Picking the most ridiculous TF name isn't easy. So I'll say Hi-Q. It's not really ridiculous, but for whatever reason I've always hated it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Skyfire. Because it's Jetfire with a random plane-related word jammed on the front.

Sparkcrusher. Because it's some ascended fanboy trying far too hard to come up with an Awesome Name, and someone who's actually big potatoes would have torn his head off straight away just because he's an uppity little tit, like 14 year olds who grab screenames like "Warcon Apocalypse" or "D3ATHBRINGER". "Dude, he, like, crushes sparks, it's his name, he's almost as cool as the guy who does the rapping stuff in Linkin Park songs. Hardcore."

Lugnutz. Because it's stupid.

Optimus Primal. Because if you think about it, it makes no sense, especially as the original plan wasn't to spend an extended period of time in a primal environment (to be fair, this applies to basically all of the BW cast - ****ing lucky you fell through a hole in time and ended up becoming a wasp/cheetah/rhino/pterosaur/scorpion/spider etc. or you'd have looked a right twat with a name like that...). Don't get me wrong, love the characters, but the names vary from cheesy to stupid.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Cliffjumper wrote: Optimus Primal. Because if you think about it, it makes no sense, especially as the original plan wasn't to spend an extended period of time in a primal environment (to be fair, this applies to basically all of the BW cast - ****ing lucky you fell through a hole in time and ended up becoming a wasp/cheetah/rhino/pterosaur/scorpion/spider etc. or you'd have looked a right twat with a name like that...). Don't get me wrong, love the characters, but the names vary from cheesy to stupid.
I used to wonder about that when I was a kid. My conclusion was that, not unlike women who are getting married, they just change their name. Must be ****ing confusing for any historians on Cybertron though.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I just had to look Sparkcrusher up on the Wiki. Ugh.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Whenever a name is too meaningful, I always figure they changed it when they got the Alt mode. I mean, surely they weren't speaking English when they were on Cybertron? And if they were, would they know what a Bumblebee is?

Or perhaps the humans they saved in . . . whichever epsidoe of Beast Wars it was (sorry guys, I haven't actually watched the show since it won Five on Staurday mornings when I was a kid. I'll pick up the DVDs one day) were so affected by the events, the name "Rhynox" etc entered our race memory for Rhinos.

No?
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

IIRC most of the Maximals at least do have a "I feel like a Goooooooooldbug!" style moment where they do pick new names (I don't think there's a similar scene with the Predacons so it's hard to be sure there), but when Depthcharge shows up it's made clear Primal was always called that by amazing coincidence.

Though I've always taken the term Primal to be a rank (ie, not as good as Prime, perhaps equivalent to "Captain") in fiction.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Well aparently Slag was left out of animated because his name is a dirty word this side of the pond. So there you go.

This one might not make me popular but; Kup. What does that even mean?
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The stock answer is it's from pickup truck - which is apparently what Kup's alternate mode is, and not some retarded Sinclair C5 of the future like we all thought. But even then it's absolute bollocks - Ultra Magnus isn't called Rcarrier, after all. And you have to ask whether whatever he turned into in 10 million BC on Cybertron was called a pickup truck anyway.

I think this is an area we're not meant to really ask any questions about.
inflatable dalek

In terms of stupidly assigned names this guy (who Furman was shamelessly selling at AA) takes the buiscuit:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Screech_%28Generations%29

"Right, first we repaint Skids in the colour of Movie Skids and call him Skids. Then we repaint the Crosscut version of the toy in the colours of Movie Mudflap. And call him Screech".
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Is the Mudflap name owned by Takara?

Is it even owned by Hasbro?

What was Mudflap called in Japan?

Reason being that the movie character (and design) is actually owned by Paramount, with Hasbro making a licensed product based off him. Takara might not have the rights to use the name unless it's actually the movie character. If at all.
TMM

Post by TMM »

Halfshell wrote:Is the Mudflap name owned by Takara?

Is it even owned by Hasbro?

What was Mudflap called in Japan?

Reason being that the movie character (and design) is actually owned by Paramount, with Hasbro making a licensed product based off him. Takara might not have the rights to use the name unless it's actually the movie character. If at all.

this is one of my biggest annoyances

obviously i know why it can't be - but transformers rights should be available to hasbro, takara and the movie studios, to stop this sorta stuff...

imo
First we crack the shell... Then we crack the nuts inside!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Carnivac...reminds me too much of Caramac. Oh and Roadhandler, it just seems like a really lazy way of coming up with a TF name. "let's throw a couple of car related words together and see what we get hmmm, cars go on ROADS and on Top Gear last week Clarkson was on about the HANDLING of that car he was driving....wait I'm going somewhere with this....." or something like that...whether the head-honcho's at hasbro watched Top Gear or not is another question.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Jazz. He always seemed to be more into hip hop.
Wreck and Rule!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Yeah, but he pretends to be into jazz so he can look down on mere hip-hop fans for not being as cool as him.
Though actually, I love Jazz.
I like bears.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Summerhayes wrote:Yeah, but he pretends to be into jazz so he can look down on mere hip-hop fans for not being as cool as him.
Though actually, I love Jazz.
There are many documented fans of jazz in the TF world, though. Both Autobots and Decepticons have been known to declare a passion for the work of Miles Davis and John Coltrane, for example.

Miles Davis fans:
Kind of Bluestreak
In A Silent Freeway
Bitches Brawn
Birth of the Cruellock

John Coltrane fans:
A Love Omega Supreme
Blue Astrotrain

Other notable TF music fans are:
Beachcomber - Folk music
Mixmaster - Early rap, especially the Beastie Boys
Optimus Prime - Death Metal ("Freedom to listen to death metal is the right of all sentient beings")
Grimlock - Classical music (mainly from the Baroque era)
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Hound was a big Elvis fan apparently. Whilst Hellbat loved Meatloaf.